wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Loss making companies at the NSE
obiero
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 11:52:15 AM

Maybe we need a quick reference point for all the listed companies currently in loss territory.. Here they are: arm, cables, cargeneral, deacons, eapc, eveready, express, ftg, hal, kapch, kurwitu, kq, limuru, mumias, olympia, sameer, uchumi, umeme, wtk

If you ask me, these are many companies for the number of listed companies at the NSE. More reason to support the exchange bar theory that less than 20 listed firms make the cut as viable investments

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ebenyo
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 4:24:32 PM

obiero wrote:
Maybe we need a quick reference point for all the listed companies currently in loss territory.. Here they are: arm, cables, cargeneral, deacons, eapc, eveready, express, ftg, hal, kapch, kurwitu, kq, limuru, mumias, olympia, sameer, uchumi, umeme, wtk

If you ask me, these are many companies for the number of listed companies at the NSE. More reason to support the exchange bar theory that less than 20 listed firms make the cut as viable investments

Loss making companies are not suitable for investment.However speculators find something in them.But its good to keep off those companies both speculators and Long term investors.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 4:29:14 PM

obiero wrote:

Hi @Obiero, which firms from the list above have not made a profit for 5 years?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 4:31:21 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Hi @vvs.. I am not sure

VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 4:45:56 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Hi @vvs.. I am not sure

Hmmm, perhaps other Wazuans can help...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 4:57:38 PM

obiero wrote:

Agriculturals on the list can be forgiven since their business is cyclical depending on 1). weather both locally and in competitor nations 2). exchange rates 3). Labour and industrial action.

They have learnt to deal with the ups and downs by accumulating reserves as well sitting on huge tracts of land.

Life is short. Live passionately.
xxxxx
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 6:02:20 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Hi @vvs.. I am not sure

Hmmm, perhaps other Wazuans can help...

Could it be the famous KQ?
VituVingiSana
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 6:42:48 PM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:

Agriculturals on the list can be forgiven since their business is cyclical depending on 1). weather both locally and in competitor nations 2). exchange rates 3). Labour and industrial action.

They have learnt to deal with the ups and downs by accumulating reserves as well sitting on huge tracts of land.

I don't think most agricultural firms have made losses for 5 years running. I know Kakuzi, Williamson and Kapchorua have made both profits and losses since 2012.
Pesa Nane
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 6:50:23 PM

obiero wrote:

Flame Tree made a profit of Ksh. 40 million, if memory serves me right.
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
obiero
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 7:19:46 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
obiero wrote:

Thanks for the update. Other corrections and additions are welcome

Pesa Nane
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 8:51:08 PM

obiero wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
obiero wrote:

Thanks for the update. Other corrections and additions are welcome

Williamson Tea also reported a decent HY17
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
obiero
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 9:08:53 PM

arm, cables, cargeneral, deacons, eapc, eveready, express, hal, kapch, kurwitu, kq, limuru, mumias, olympia, sameer, uchumi, umeme

RIEK01
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 9:56:11 PM

Car&General is profitable
obiero
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 9:58:58 PM

RIEK01 wrote:
Car&General is profitable

Are you sure? https://www.businessdail...39042-13uloqy/index.html

MugundaMan
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 6:40:59 AM

obiero wrote:

Obiesh, wacha fitina!Laughing out loudly

You know FULL WELL Eveready declared a roaring profit for the most recent financial year.

They even paid a juicy dividend that approximated to almost a whopping 50% of the value of the stock! Yaani we recovered half our monies overnight.

One can argue till the cows come home HOW the profit was achieved, but unless someone repeals the definition of a profit, EVRD came through in spades.
Angelica _ann
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 7:31:37 AM

Which one is the biggest giant of the loss making companies, is it kurwitu? smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 7:34:02 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Which one is the biggest giant of the loss making companies, is it kurwitu? smile

Yes. In relation to the size of its business, it could proportionally be the biggest loss making entity at the NSE. It's either Kurwitu or HAL.. For more context, MSC or KQ could make a loss of KES 1B and the same would be mentioned as a minor slip into the red, while other firms could close shop! Like KQ has losses totaling to KES 82.6B over the last five years and its still operational, with an operating profit!

sparkly
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 9:09:24 AM

obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Yes. In relation to the size of its business, it could proportionally be the biggest loss making entity at the NSE. It's either Kurwitu or HAL.. For more context, MSC or KQ could make a loss of KES 1B and the same would be mentioned as a minor slip into the red, while other firms could close shop! Like KQ has losses totaling to KES 82.6B over the last five years and its still operational, with an operating profit!

Indeed Kurwitu is the biggest loss maker in the history of nse. Relative to size KQ loss is a profit.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 9:38:05 AM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Indeed Kurwitu is the biggest loss maker in the history of nse. Relative to size KQ loss is a profit.

Exactly! Like if GoK lost KES 100B in a financial year to the normal corrupt cartels.. Kenya would still operate like nothing happened! That's KQ, the Pride of Africa which is expected to post its first profit in 5 years, during H1 2018

obiero
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 9:42:58 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
obiero wrote:

Obiesh, wacha fitina!Laughing out loudly

You know FULL WELL Eveready declared a roaring profit for the most recent financial year.

They even paid a juicy dividend that approximated to almost a whopping 50% of the value of the stock! Yaani we recovered half our monies overnight.

One can argue till the cows come home HOW the profit was achieved, but unless someone repeals the definition of a profit, EVRD came through in spades.

@Mugush mimi sio Mungu bwana. Corrections are welcome! smile