Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages<12345>»
Ubapesa
Wondergirl
#41 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 3:33:18 PM

kayhara wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
There is a big loophole that people are using with these apps: they are using one app to pay the other. They create a chain of loans and as long as there are new loan apps coming out, they can keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. This means that technically if these apps keep proliferating ad infinitum, every new app will find business until a regulatory body clamps down. So maybe the opportunity for now is in creating yet another loan app

The other big loophole is identity theft, which is hitting the big boys like Tala and Branch bigtime. Just that they don't disclose this and only a few players have managed to come up with a solution to this.
Guyz are registering mpesa accounts with fake IDs, then borrow from these guyz with no intention of paying back. They are actually patient enough to build their credit limits, then take off.

Though I like the concept around Ubapesa Applause

Sad Sad Sad I think investing in this at the moment is risky most guys signing up for new loan app are looking to borrow to pay for the other apps, the early birds kina TALA and branch have reaped big just like betting firms SportPesa did and now we have too many betting firms.
Also people don't know but most of loan apps are ther not to give loans but to harvest DATA they ask you to sigh in with all your detail even colour copies of your documents then you find your accounts cleaned.

Please enlighten us on how they harvest, You don't give them any bank details.....
ngapat
#42 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 4:04:04 PM

Juojo wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
There is a big loophole that people are using with these apps: they are using one app to pay the other. They create a chain of loans and as long as there are new loan apps coming out, they can keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. This means that technically if these apps keep proliferating ad infinitum, every new app will find business until a regulatory body clamps down. So maybe the opportunity for now is in creating yet another loan app

The other big loophole is identity theft, which is hitting the big boys like Tala and Branch bigtime. Just that they don't disclose this and only a few players have managed to come up with a solution to this.
Guyz are registering mpesa accounts with fake IDs, then borrow from these guyz with no intention of paying back. They are actually patient enough to build their credit limits, then take off.

Could the reason some guys borrow and repay after one day be Just to build their credit score in preparation to default a huge amount
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
Juojo
#43 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:19:53 AM

ngapat wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

Could the reason some guys borrow and repay after one day be Just to build their credit score in preparation to default a huge amount

Yes. They do that since the first disbursements are quite low and not worth defaulting. But these guyz are able to grow their limits very fast due to the huge volume of mobile money transactions they do per day, and this is a key data point in most Machine Learning algorithms
Happiness is not the absence of problems, It's the ability to deal with them
ngapat
#44 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:41:45 PM

First bad debt for me. I lent a 10 day loan of 3500 ksh to a borrower who was supposed to repay today. The borrower only repaid ksh 650 today. Waiting to see how this saga unfolds
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
Wororo
#45 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 7:02:30 AM

ngapat wrote:
First bad debt for me. I lent a 10 day loan of 3500 ksh to a borrower who was supposed to repay today. The borrower only repaid ksh 650 today. Waiting to see how this saga unfolds

Pole Ngapat...

Have you been successful in loaning out funds lately...?

I had to cancel my offers after the lending process "stagnated" for about 3 days and couldn't wait any longer...

I just ran hoping that in future more will be discouraged and stay away to facilitate my comeback...
Stiffler
#46 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:06:56 AM

mawinder
#47 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:02:08 PM

Stiffler wrote:
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018/05/23/loan-hawking-to-attract-sh20m-fine-in-treasurys-new-financial-bill_c1762904

What will be its effect on Ubapesa, mshwari, tala, etc...Following closely
Wororo
#48 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:44:34 PM

mawinder wrote:
Stiffler wrote:
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018/05/23/loan-hawking-to-attract-sh20m-fine-in-treasurys-new-financial-bill_c1762904

mshwari doesn't charge interest but "a facilitation fee" ...

I guess their a$$ is well covered legally ...
mawinder
#49 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:01:40 PM

Wororo wrote:
mawinder wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Ubapesa will also stop charging interest and charge "other fees"
Stiffler
#50 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:24:52 PM

mawinder wrote:
Wororo wrote:
mawinder wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Ubapesa will also stop charging interest and charge "other fees"

Call it interest or Facilitation Fee, it's the same thing, using different words
Thitifini
#51 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:10:12 PM

ngapat wrote:

I started off with 10k then topped up with 100k. Uptake was good, snapped in 2 days. Didn't "reinvestment", to test waters on repayment rate.

So far defaulted loans are 12k in total with the rest repaid and withdrawn.

That default rate was rather high for my appetite.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
mawinder
#52 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2018 6:27:58 AM

Thitifini wrote:
ngapat wrote:

I started off with 10k then topped up with 100k. Uptake was good, snapped in 2 days. Didn't "reinvestment", to test waters on repayment rate.

In 60 days you get back the defaulted amount automatically.I find that the default rate is ok..Also you need to have say a 12 months investment reinvesting and see what you get at the end
Thitifini
#53 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2018 2:41:22 PM

mawinder wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
ngapat wrote:

In 60 days you get back the defaulted amount automatically.I find that the default rate is ok..Also you need to have say a 12 months investment reinvesting and see what you get at the end

First I wait for 60 days to see if the defaulted amounts will be repaid.

Most p-to-p companies in UK and China collapsed after the defaults became too much to sustain. Ikitoboa 6 months I might return...13% return in 2 weeks was not that bad...

Wororo
#54 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2018 4:28:32 PM

Kenya moves to regulate Fintech lending craze...

@Thitifini 6 months might be too long as regulations kick in...
Thitifini
#55 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2018 9:52:53 PM

Wororo wrote:
Kenya moves to regulate Fintech lending craze...

@Thitifini 6 months might be too long as regulations kick in...

Well, I didn't like the thing. Regulations? They will find a way of avoiding it. KCB did with their mobile app.

Thitifini
#56 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2018 9:54:26 PM

I now prefer walking to a procurement officer at nys.

mawinder
#57 Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2018 8:52:17 AM

Thitifini wrote:
I now prefer walking to a procurement officer at nys.

Hahaha...
Stiffler
#58 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2018 8:59:42 PM

Lent 5k for a month...
The Loan got defaulted
Now waiting to see if Ubapesa honors their 60 day Money back guarantee...
Chaka
#59 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2018 10:36:01 PM

Hope the jamaas don't have proxies pausing as borrowers who then borrow from new lenders and they then use the proceeds to repay old lenders?

Stiffler wrote:
Lent 5k for a month...
The Loan got defaulted
Now waiting to see if Ubapesa honors their 60 day Money back guarantee...

wazuaguest
#60 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:31:51 AM

Lent 500 four time's,one has been defaulted.Nor lending again.
Africa belongs to Africans.