Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages«<23456>»
Barclays - 2018 and beyond
Gathige
#61 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 12:14:54 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Barclays seeks to sell three closed branches at Sh65m
https://www.businessdail...83632-md3wvz/index.html

In 2017, the bank had closed Moi Avenue, Haile Selassie, Waiyaki Way, Kawangware, Rahimtulla, Nakummatt Meru and Wundanyi branches. This cut branch network from 96 to 89.

Bamburi, Maragua and Supplies branches are now up for sale.

Very sad. I remember this branch in the early 80s. My mom would travel 50kms on a very bad road to transact once a quarter. She remained very loyal and sad to see its now closed
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
sparkly
#62 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 4:47:25 PM

Gathige wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Barclays seeks to sell three closed branches at Sh65m
https://www.businessdail...83632-md3wvz/index.html

In 2017, the bank had closed Moi Avenue, Haile Selassie, Waiyaki Way, Kawangware, Rahimtulla, Nakummatt Meru and Wundanyi branches. This cut branch network from 96 to 89.

Bamburi, Maragua and Supplies branches are now up for sale.

Very sad. I remember this branch in the early 80s. My mom would travel 50kms on a very bad road to transact once a quarter. She remained very loyal and sad to see its now closed

They used to close their branches out of spite. Now they close branches because there is no business for them.
Life is short. Live passionately.
shocks
#63 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2019 10:48:27 PM

Blunders made by this Board over the last 2 decades should form a case study on how not to run a business
obiero
#64 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2019 11:20:41 PM

shocks wrote:
Blunders made by this Board over the last 2 decades should form a case study on how not to run a business

A sad case

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#65 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2019 1:08:27 AM

obiero wrote:
shocks wrote:

A sad case

And there are people chearing the board of having done a good job.
Profits have failed to grow for 7 consecutive years.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ebenyo
#66 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2019 10:21:53 PM

I did my own analysis of banks and realised Barclays is doing better than most of of the listed lenders;
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%
Towards the goal of financial freedom
obiero
#67 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2019 10:43:24 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
I did my own analysis of banks and realised Barclays is doing better than most of of the listed lenders;
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

How would interest expense be a percentage

babashuge
#68 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 6:25:19 AM

obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Their papers and wallet have been ok for the last few years but what i wonder is whats the deal with all this closing of branches, is it a sign of inability to get new customers, cost cutting to keep the balance sheets pretty, or some part of some moving to digital strategy...

Is it a good thing?
Ebenyo
#69 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 8:55:34 AM

obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

The idea is to see whether a bank is getting more in interest income or it's giving more in interest expense.
Divide what they paid in interest expense over interest income.
sparkly
#70 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 9:35:04 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Your research isn't conclusive:

1. BBK doesn't show a consistent superiority in the above indicators;
2. The indicators themselves don't give a reliable conclusion on any one issue e.g. profitability, quality of loan book or efficiency in use of equity/ assets;
3. Left out other lenders useful for comparison eg DTB; NIC; Stanbic; SCB;NBK
Life is short. Live passionately.
winmak
#71 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 9:55:19 AM

sparkly wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

2. The indicators themselves don't give a reliable conclusion on any one issue e.g. profitability, quality of loan book or efficiency in use of equity/ assets;

In fact in his 'analysis' EQB is identical to BBK
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Ebenyo
#72 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 2:19:38 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

My research covered the health aspect of the Lenders.The motive was to know which are healthy and which are sick.From the above statics,Barclays is very much healthy.I was surprised its healthier than co-op.
The best comparison is with top three in profitabilty which i tried to link.
With an NPL of 8%,thats ver much commendable.
Ebenyo
#73 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 2:30:24 PM

babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Their papers and wallet have been ok for the last few years but what i wonder is whats the deal with all this closing of branches, is it a sign of inability to get new customers, cost cutting to keep the balance sheets pretty, or some part of some moving to digital strategy...

Is it a good thing?

Based on my statistics,the reason is consolidation.They are trying to preserve their capital.They are no longer the market leaders they used to be and have accepted the reality.
They took a more conservative approach thats neither robust(like kcb and equity) nor a mean approach(like co-op).
Going forward,i see them stabilising slowly and buoyed by separation from the UK father,they will try to grow slowly.
obiero
#74 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 2:36:52 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Is it a good thing?

Based on my statistics,the reason is consolidation.They are trying to preserve their capital.They are no longer the market leaders they used to be and have accepted the reality.
They took a more conservative approach thats neither robust(like kcb and equity) nor a mean approach(like co-op).
Going forward,i see them stabilising slowly and buoyed by separation from the UK father,they will try to grow slowly.

Slow growth in a rapidly expanding sector is as good as death

VituVingiSana
#75 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 3:39:52 PM

obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Is it a good thing?

BUT unlike some firms, BBK doesn't have net debt. Doesn't need a Rights Issue. Pays a healthy dividend. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#76 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 7:56:03 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Is it a good thing?

BUT unlike some firms, BBK doesn't have net debt. Doesn't need a Rights Issue. Pays a healthy dividend. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Sounding like a broken record chief.. How's ARM doing? Likely to resume trading?

VituVingiSana
#77 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 8:28:03 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Is it a good thing?

Sounding like a broken record chief.. How's ARM doing? Likely to resume trading?

ARM? Dead. Kabisa. No bailout. Nothing. Zero. Hapana.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

BTW, did BBK make loans to ARM or KQ?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#78 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 9:09:44 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Is it a good thing?

Has it ever had recent capacity to lend to any serious Kenyan corporate.. What is their core capital? L:D ratio?

obiero
#79 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 9:11:37 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

Is it a good thing?

Has it ever had recent capacity for lending to any serious Kenyan corporate. What is their core capital? L:D ratio?

FUNKY
#80 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 10:14:01 PM

They recently approved a loan for 300 million shillings to choppies super market. I don't have any link to prove but it's a true fact came out of a senior manager in Barclays