wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages123>»
Barclays - 2018 and beyond
VituVingiSana
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 4:04:52 AM

BBK as it sheds the "Barclays" moniker...

https://www.businessdail...5536-adj5e8z/index.html

BBK/ABSA getting into the (very) profitable micro-loans business.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 6:31:32 PM

[quote=VituVingiSana]BBK as it sheds the "Barclays" moniker...

BBK/ABSA getting into the (very) profitable micro-loans business.[/quote

No need for new topic.
Name change was already covered under the title barclays bank FY2017
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 11:24:09 PM

So is the new ABSA/BBK a different animal?

*The change of name is totally irrelevant. What's important as investors is... what next for BBK?
Will it be allowed to compete with the more nimble banks that need to get approval from London/Joburg?*

I hope so.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 9:50:06 AM

Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

I pity this bank looking for relevance after they abused their privileged position in the last 20 years.

This strategy will fall flat because of these three reasons:
1. Micro lending is already crowded by the big local banks, Saccos, Chamas, MFIs. No space for another confused big bank.
2. BBK is known for being a conservative, corporate type bank. Focus on micro lending will chase away the remaining conservative clientele.
3. Weak strategy. What a company lacks in management skills and strategy manifests in band aid ideas. They look good on paper but are just meant to buy time and next months salary for management. e.g Mumias going into ethanol, water and milk... Eveready with diapers and shaving razors... Uchumi with online stores... Express with real estate.

In short avoid this stock like the plague.

If they are serious about micro lending, it is better to buy one of the MFIs in the market or a nimble bank like Family Bank.
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:36:38 AM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

I pity this bank looking for relevance after they abused their privileged position in the last 20 years.

1. Micro lending is already crowded by the big local banks, Saccos, Chamas, MFIs. No space for another confused big bank.
2. BBK is known for being a conservative, corporate type bank. Focus on micro lending will chase away the remaining conservative clientele.
3. Weak strategy. What a company lacks in management skills and strategy manifests in band aid ideas. They look good on paper but are just meant to buy time and next months salary for management. e.g Mumias going into ethanol, water and milk... Eveready with diapers and shaving razors... Uchumi with online stores... Express with real estate.

If they are serious about micro lending, it is better to buy one of the MFIs in the market or a nimble bank like Family Bank.

Family Bank? That might be toxic for BBK.
BBK/ABSA is now on my radar as being investable. They need to appeal to a different clientele WITHOUT scaring away their current (loyal?) clientele. Not an easy balancing act.
capitalism
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:25:43 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:

*The change of name is totally irrelevant. What's important as investors is... what next for BBK?
Will it be allowed to compete with the more nimble banks that need to get approval from London/Joburg?*

I hope so.

Barclays International has long exited the continent. So BBk is now owned by ABSA, London no longer has any input
VituVingiSana
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:44:06 PM

capitalism wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

I hope so.

Barclays International has long exited the continent. So BBk is now owned by ABSA, London no longer has any input
Joburg?
sparkly
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 6:44:12 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

BBK/ABSA is now on my radar as being investable. They need to appeal to a different clientele WITHOUT scaring away their current (loyal?) clientele. Not an easy balancing act.

Family is a Wananchi Bank. Now that it is distressed, they can get it on the Cheap esp with a share swap.

Reality is that Family will one day overtake BBK (if they get out of the current mess).
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 6:46:18 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

Family is a Wananchi Bank. Now that it is distressed, they can get it on the Cheap esp with a share swap.

Reality is that Family will one day overtake BBK (if they get out of the current mess).

Family Bank is buyable as a takeover target even with its current mess

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:21:24 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

Buying a bank that's very different (culturally) is fraught with multiple risks.
Stanbic/CFC comes to mind. CFC customers left in droves.
I&M/Giro. Giro customers left. Goodwill gets impaired.
Equity/UML (Huge write-offs, provisions)

Unless BBK can thoroughly assess the assets/liabilities of Family Bank, then there is a huge risk in taking these on especially for SMEs or loans not backed by quality collateral. I would say a merger of SCBK and BBK might yield better synergies but that doesn't help go "down-market".

Or as suggested, BBK buys a Fintech/MFI (Chase owned Rafiki) and uses it to expand profitably "down-market" via the subsidiary model.
Angelica _ann
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:25:52 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

Buying a bank that's very different (culturally) is fraught with multiple risks.
I&M/Giro. Giro customers left leaving. Goodwill gets impaired.

Unless BBK can thoroughly assess the assets/liabilities of Family Bank, then there is a huge risk. I would say a merger of SCBK and BBK might yield better synergies.

Or as suggested, BBK buys a Fintech/MFI (Chase owned Rafiki) and uses it to expand "down-market" via the subsidiary model

Citigoup/Citicorp then Citibank buying ABN Amro, didn't work for Citibank locally!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Pesa Nane
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:08:03 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

Unless BBK can thoroughly assess the assets/liabilities of Family Bank, then there is a huge risk in taking these on especially for SMEs or loans not backed by quality collateral. I would say a merger of SCBK and BBK might yield better synergies but that doesn't help go "down-market".

Or as suggested, BBK buys a Fintech/MFI (Chase owned Rafiki) and uses it to expand profitably "down-market" via the subsidiary model.

Unaitas comes to mind
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Angelica _ann
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:37:10 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

Unaitas comes to mind

The euphoria died. There was a time if you didnt have this shares d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! , wacha tu smile smile smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:52:23 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

No need for new topic.

Unaitas comes to mind

The euphoria died. There was a time if you didnt have this shares d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! , wacha tu smile smile smile

That's very true Angelica_ann manze
Gatheuzi
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:40:33 AM

It will not be a walk in the park as name change gets challenged. A Kenyan company claims to have reserved use of the name ABSA. Are they seeking some compensation of sorts? The Kenyan company is said to be engaging in small businesses such as cleaning services and also investing in shares.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Ericsson
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:44:48 AM

Pesa Nane
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:57:22 PM

VituVingiSana
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:38:47 AM

Absa eyes expansion after Barclays ‘divorce’
https://www.businessdail...67806-k1ke9c/index.html
I believe this is a good move for BBK which can use ABSA's "African Expertise" though the SA folks think different from others in SSA.
Ericsson
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 7:45:27 AM

12 Bob smashed as investors wait for half year results with possibility of interim dividend
Pesa Nane
#20 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 6:41:55 PM

Ericsson wrote:
12 Bob smashed as investors wait for half year results with possibility of interim dividend

Interim Div declared of Kshs. 0.20

Payable 12 October 2018
Closure 07 September 2018