Ebenyo wrote:
mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:
PBT up 8% y-on-y to stand at 3.7B up from 3.3B dividend KES 0.85

6% dividend increase not bad.

That's PAT actually. PBT 4.558 2017 vs 4.218 2016

Food for thought....closer to the 2022 gen. election might dividends be reduced for arap singh's campaign trail.......Think Think

Its not wise to make a decision based on fear.
The results so far are good.Lets wait for next audited results.
FY 2017 was under Mwarania. FY 2018 will be under the new regime. I fear that "real estate" investments will take a central role. We know what happened in years past.

Hehe

Even on its best days this share didn't generate any worthwhile gains so if you're still on this bus exit safely before 2022 carnage.

How do you define a worthwhile gain?
You are simply looking at the "share price" [BTW, I do not disagree with your conclusion now that the 2022 "eating" brigade is in charge] versus the gains in the intrinsic value over the past 6 years. The NAV (a lot of it in cash/T-Bonds) has almost doubled over 6 years.

Warren Buffett: “Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that ‘Price is what you pay; value is what you get.’ Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down.”

Warren Buffett’s buying wisdom can be condensed into 2 statements:
1) Buy great businesses when they are trading at fair or better prices.
2) This occurs when short-term traders become pessimistic.

KenRe is a great business. It wasn't one for speculators over the past 6 years.
The catch is that a good manager has been replaced by a cabal of crooks.
I (currently) remain hopeful that the cabal is forced to competitively hire a good manager to replace Mwarania. Think KQ. I do not think they will allow Mwarania back. The sad bit about KQ is that Mikosz was brought in AFTER the looting was complete. The same could happen at KenRe.

Buffet also talks about looking at the character of the guys at the top before looking at the books.My reference to worthwhile gains was with in reference to anyone who may want to cash out now.

When I first invested in KenRe, it had was led by Mwarania. It was a steady solid performance. [EPS, NAV]. The recent (FY 2018) change is worrisome. I have not bought a single KenRe share since.

poor @vvs

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
obiero
#122 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 10:01:16 AM

@vvs seems your fear of GoK stocks is being manifested at KENRE

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#123 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 10:01:45 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:

Food for thought....closer to the 2022 gen. election might dividends be reduced for arap singh's campaign trail.......Think Think

FY 2017 was under Mwarania. FY 2018 will be under the new regime. I fear that "real estate" investments will take a central role. We know what happened in years past.

Hehe

Even on its best days this share didn't generate any worthwhile gains so if you're still on this bus exit safely before 2022 carnage.

How do you define a worthwhile gain?
You are simply looking at the "share price" [BTW, I do not disagree with your conclusion now that the 2022 "eating" brigade is in charge] versus the gains in the intrinsic value over the past 6 years. The NAV (a lot of it in cash/T-Bonds) has almost doubled over 6 years.

Warren Buffett: “Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that ‘Price is what you pay; value is what you get.’ Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down.”

Warren Buffett’s buying wisdom can be condensed into 2 statements:
1) Buy great businesses when they are trading at fair or better prices.
2) This occurs when short-term traders become pessimistic.

KenRe is a great business. It wasn't one for speculators over the past 6 years.
The catch is that a good manager has been replaced by a cabal of crooks.
I (currently) remain hopeful that the cabal is forced to competitively hire a good manager to replace Mwarania. Think KQ. I do not think they will allow Mwarania back. The sad bit about KQ is that Mikosz was brought in AFTER the looting was complete. The same could happen at KenRe.

Buffet also talks about looking at the character of the guys at the top before looking at the books.My reference to worthwhile gains was with in reference to anyone who may want to cash out now.

When I first invested in KenRe, it had was led by Mwarania. It was a steady solid performance. [EPS, NAV]. The recent (FY 2018) change is worrisome. I have not bought a single KenRe share since.

@vss seems your fear of GoK stocks is being manifested

Investing in Africa requires skill and skin
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ebenyo
#124 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 1:30:54 PM

whiteowl wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:

Hehe

im not exiting.i will go by the financial results.so far so good.If Mwarania is back,good if they bring someone else,fine.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
murchr
#125 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 10:35:22 PM

A court has directed Kenya Reinsurance Corporation and its former Managing Director Jadiah Mwarania to settle their dispute out of court.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Angelica _ann
#126 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 10:38:09 PM

He will be paid handsomely, but will not be reinstated!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#127 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 8:43:32 AM

Hana support ya Kinyua at this time.He's alone so trying to get something
VituVingiSana
#128 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 9:37:14 AM

Ericsson wrote:

Hana support ya Kinyua at this time.He's alone so trying to get something
Sold down the river. The genesis of his dismissal it seems was the directive by Kinyua to him as CEO to process new candidates for the board.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ebenyo
#129 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 2:03:46 PM

This is good directive.It will end the long protracted legal battle.
Mwarania should be paid his dues,then the company to hire a new MD and the issue will be over.
Under the polarised environment,mwarania cant work with the current board effectively.
Ericsson
#130 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 2:13:53 PM

Ebenyo wrote:

Mwarania should be paid his dues,then the company to hire a new MD and the issue will be over.
Under the polarised environment,mwarania cant work with the current board effectively.

Spot on Ebenyo
He's fate sealed.
VituVingiSana
#131 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 3:57:46 PM

Ebenyo wrote:

This is not a good outcome. In essence, the Board can "buy out" Mwarania and then move on to looting KenRe.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#132 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 4:27:18 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:

This is not a good outcome. In essence, the Board can "buy out" Mwarania and then move on to looting KenRe.

Who told you Mwarania is clean?
muandiwambeu
#133 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 7:34:30 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:

Me, of coarse, why do you doubt! Look at the diarrhea @knre post Mwarania agitation and infer the intentions of the lurking hyenas. Only skeletons will be left of this fat tailed lamb by day end. Somebody has been salaviting all a long and here came in wound Forte mwarania. Dice is cast, mti mkuu ukiangukia viota ndege wanjiku uwa masikiniDrool Drool Drool Drool
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Ericsson
#134 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 8:16:25 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:

Me, of coarse, why do you doubt! Look at the diarrhea @knre post Mwarania agitation and infer the intentions of the lurking hyenas. Only skeletons will be left of this fat tailed lamb by day end. Somebody has been salaviting all a long and here came in wound Forte mwarania. Dice is cast, mti mkuu ukiangukia viota ndege wanjiku uwa masikiniDrool Drool Drool Drool

Now that he's decided to take an out of court settlement and go for the money means its nishtaki nikushtaki
Superprime1
#135 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:02:05 PM

Wasn't Kenya Re's book closure supposed to be today? Looks like it'll hurtle down from here on....
mulla
#136 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:29:58 PM

Superprime1 wrote:
Wasn't Kenya Re's book closure supposed to be today? Looks like it'll hurtle down from here on....

It was Monday 18/06/2018.
Ericsson
#137 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:43:25 PM

mulla wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:

It was Monday 18/06/2018.

"To approve payment of a first and final dividend of KShs 0.85 per share for the financial year
ended 31st December 2017 to the shareholders registered in our books as at 21st June 2018
on or about 3rd August 2018, as recommended by the Board, and approve the closure of the Register of Members on 22nd June 2018."
Pesa Nane
#138 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2018 11:22:53 AM

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Ebenyo
#139 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2018 11:31:56 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:

Now with this election,the politics of Kinyua and Mwarania is over.
These guys should move faster and recruit a new CEO immediately.
Mambo ya kortini iishe,Mwarania apewe pesa zake.Hio mambo iishie hapo.
VituVingiSana
#140 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2018 3:43:12 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:

What GoK wants...