iris wrote:
Swenani wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Sending money anonymously
1. Mobile transfer from you internet banking-If your bank supports it
2. Direct deposit-If you have a specific mpesa vendor your transact with(KYC)
3. Give the money to office messenger, your guard, househelp, cousin,mpango wa kando to transact

in fact most banks wont even bother with your id card when depositing 12k. he should just walk into any bank and deposit the money into the bank account of sparkly. for his name he can even write swenani the fishmonger and the bank wont care. this anonymity thing is just bullshit for non-payment of the money.

Poor baby. I feel your pain. My bank does ask for "name, address and ID" for cash deposits.

1. Hide the call ID on your mobile, call me on 0708733938,

2. I will give instructions on where to drop the Bahasha near CBD Nairobi.

3. If you don't want to talk lest your voice give you away, flash 3 times before calling and i will go right to the instructions.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Are you a kidnapper @sparkly? I think you have a hidden talent. You should hook up with impunity

What is Impunity's profession? smile

Welder wa RVR railways, jobless now Laughing out loudly smile Laughing out loudly
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#122 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:04:05 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Whoa! Easy goes... No personal insults. Please.

Back to Unga (from KQ)...

Bottomline: The stated NAV/Share [FY 2016-17] as of 30th June 2017 is approx 50/-
There's 6 months of (profitable?) trading from July-Dec 2017.
Add another 8 months of (profitable?) trading from Jan-Sep 2018.
The "Operating Lease Rentals" (land) value as of 30th June 2013 was only 27mn BUT in Note 25 it says
"The operating lease prepayment relates to leasehold land. The leasehold land was revalued as at 30 June 2013 by Knight Frank Valuers Limited on an open market value basis for existing use at Shs 878,500,000."
Cash on Hand for the Group was 1.714bn (Note 29b)

In 2016-17, there were one-off provisions for:
Closure of the Uganda factory/plant [which was a drain on the business]
Nakumatt [non-cash since Nakumatt wasn't going to pay anyway]
Ennsvalley [bad debt provisions, write-down of goodwill, etc BUT mostly non-cash]

In 2017-18
1) New wheat mill in Nairobi is fully operational
2) Jul-Dec 2017 had subsidized maize so little risk to Unga. At the AGM, they said "Jogoo" was the preferred brand among consumers and sales were brisk i.e. they sold all they milled under the subsidy program.
3) There was a cheap "feedstock" shortage in 2016-17 but remedied thanks to the subsidy program since 1H 2017-18.

"In Kenya, Unga Limited recorded lower gross margins compared to the prior year. This was due to the loss of maize volumes occasioned by the scarcity of raw materials and availability of lower priced competitor products."

4) "The costs of raw materials for Unga Limited increased compared to the prior year with maize and finger millet prices increasing by 12% and 21% respectively within this financial period. Unga Farm Care (EA) Limited experienced cases of irregular flow of raw materials, particularly maize, in the last quarter which impaired our ability to fulfill market demands. To manage this impact we opted to utilise substitutes such as local wheat and barley which was competitively priced, although in limited supply."

5) "Maize supply is also expected to stabilise with effect from July 2017 as the Government maize subsidy program settles down. The unusually high import levels of maize have created significant pressure on port logistics causing delays in both maize and wheat receipts at the mills. The North Rift maize crop is expected to find a market that is in relatively short supply, thereby forcing pricing for a 90kg bag to be above Kes 3,000." >>> Probably sorted out or better in 2017-18 reducing transport costs.

6) "In order to increase Unga Limited’s storage capacity, we rehabilitated the Commercial Street wheat silos and also installed a new 11,540 metric ton silo complex in Eldoret. The new silos are expected to reduce our input costs previously incurred from warehousing, handling and bagging." >>> Good for long-term growth (storage) and reduction in operational costs.

Bottomline: I think the "value" of each Unga share should be 65-80. Let's see where this ends up!
I await [@pesanane here is looking at you!] the 1H 2017-18 results

@vvs.. why was the bloody thing trading at sub KES 30 over such an extended period of time.. but I like the arguments you have listed on the post

Why is (profitable) KK trading at 15/- while (not yet profitable) KQ is trading at 16/-?
Why is (profitable) Coop trading at 17 while (barely profitable) NBK at 8.30?

In other words, the market often mis-prices the value of a firm.
As a Warren Buffett fan, I recognize this and try [& do not always succeed] in buying "undervalued" shares but one has to be patient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undervalued_stock

KenRe with a NAV/share of 32+ [& growing] trades at 20/-.
@Ericsson and I are in TPSEA which at 36 is under-valued [IMHO]
I believe NIC is under-valued vs peers.

Why is/as Unga under-valued [IMHO]?
1) Ennsvalley. The purchase of Ennsvalley from the Ndegwa Family (& friends) was done at a crazy high price. It was valued by Unga at KES 1bn at the time and Unga had to write off debts (Nakumatt), lay off staff (costs) and close locations (loss of equipment, furniture and goodwill).

The above left a sour taste in investors' mouths. The clean up helps focus on future growth BUT before we got there, the Seaboard+Victus/Ndegwa bid came through.

2) Uganda - Another botched acquisition. After buying out the minority shareholders at a premium, the plant was scrapped and manufacturing ceased. The staff was laid off (costs) and plant scrapped (one-off writedown).

This transaction was a drag on earnings and used up cash. Now that the UG plant is closed, the management can focus on profitable exports to UG from Eldoret.

3) The controlling shareholders (Ndegwas) might not be in Merali's league but they are not "Aga Khan" either i.e. benefits are shared with the minorities.

4) Drought/Elections/Politics. Reduced spending power, uncertainty and maize/wheat (esp in RV) politics which prevents imports of cheaper grains.

I remain optimistic about Unga [as long as the management doesn't screw up] and I would rather NOT sell at 40/- and support efforts that it remains a Listed Firm as others look at it as an acquisition target. Of course, there's always a price that I will accept and sell out!

I don't know why you should bring up KQ in this comparison but your point is valid

But, but... I also mentioned TPSEA, NIC, KK, & KenRe Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

I know but just don't mention KQ my darling! Meanwhile UNGA enters a bidless vacuum.. High price but no one to purchase it as the unknowns are stacked up against the minority shareholders

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#123 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:42:30 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Bottomline: The stated NAV/Share [FY 2016-17] as of 30th June 2017 is approx 50/-
The "Operating Lease Rentals" (land) value as of 30th June 2013 was only 27mn BUT in Note 25 it says
"The operating lease prepayment relates to leasehold land. The leasehold land was revalued as at 30 June 2013 by Knight Frank Valuers Limited on an open market value basis for existing use at Shs 878,500,000."

Ennsvalley [bad debt provisions, write-down of goodwill, etc BUT mostly non-cash]

In 2017-18
2) Jul-Dec 2017 had subsidized maize so little risk to Unga. At the AGM, they said "Jogoo" was the preferred brand among consumers and sales were brisk i.e. they sold all they milled under the subsidy program.
3) There was a cheap "feedstock" shortage in 2016-17 but remedied thanks to the subsidy program since 1H 2017-18.

"In Kenya, Unga Limited recorded lower gross margins compared to the prior year. This was due to the loss of maize volumes occasioned by the scarcity of raw materials and availability of lower priced competitor products."

4) "The costs of raw materials for Unga Limited increased compared to the prior year with maize and finger millet prices increasing by 12% and 21% respectively within this financial period. Unga Farm Care (EA) Limited experienced cases of irregular flow of raw materials, particularly maize, in the last quarter which impaired our ability to fulfill market demands. To manage this impact we opted to utilise substitutes such as local wheat and barley which was competitively priced, although in limited supply."

5) "Maize supply is also expected to stabilise with effect from July 2017 as the Government maize subsidy program settles down. The unusually high import levels of maize have created significant pressure on port logistics causing delays in both maize and wheat receipts at the mills. The North Rift maize crop is expected to find a market that is in relatively short supply, thereby forcing pricing for a 90kg bag to be above Kes 3,000." >>> Probably sorted out or better in 2017-18 reducing transport costs.

6) "In order to increase Unga Limited’s storage capacity, we rehabilitated the Commercial Street wheat silos and also installed a new 11,540 metric ton silo complex in Eldoret. The new silos are expected to reduce our input costs previously incurred from warehousing, handling and bagging." >>> Good for long-term growth (storage) and reduction in operational costs.

Bottomline: I think the "value" of each Unga share should be 65-80. Let's see where this ends up!

@vvs.. why was the bloody thing trading at sub KES 30 over such an extended period of time.. but I like the arguments you have listed on the post

Why is (profitable) KK trading at 15/- while (not yet profitable) KQ is trading at 16/-?

As a Warren Buffett fan, I recognize this and try [& do not always succeed] in buying "undervalued" shares but one has to be patient.

1) Ennsvalley. The purchase of Ennsvalley from the Ndegwa Family (& friends) was done at a crazy high price. It was valued by Unga at KES 1bn at the time and Unga had to write off debts (Nakumatt), lay off staff (costs) and close locations (loss of equipment, furniture and goodwill).

The above left a sour taste in investors' mouths. The clean up helps focus on future growth BUT before we got there, the Seaboard+Victus/Ndegwa bid came through.

2) Uganda - Another botched acquisition. After buying out the minority shareholders at a premium, the plant was scrapped and manufacturing ceased. The staff was laid off (costs) and plant scrapped (one-off writedown).

This transaction was a drag on earnings and used up cash. Now that the UG plant is closed, the management can focus on profitable exports to UG from Eldoret.

3) The controlling shareholders (Ndegwas) might not be in Merali's league but they are not "Aga Khan" either i.e. benefits are shared with the minorities.

4) Drought/Elections/Politics. Reduced spending power, uncertainty and maize/wheat (esp in RV) politics which prevents imports of cheaper grains.

I remain optimistic about Unga [as long as the management doesn't screw up] and I would rather NOT sell at 40/- and support efforts that it remains a Listed Firm as others look at it as an acquisition target. Of course, there's always a price that I will accept and sell out!

I don't know why you should bring up KQ in this comparison but your point is valid

But, but... I also mentioned TPSEA, NIC, KK, & KenRe Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

I know but just don't mention KQ my darling! Meanwhile UNGA enters a bidless vacuum.. High price but no one to purchase it as the unknowns are stacked up against the minority shareholders

There's a floor of 40 while we wait for Unga's board to appoint an independent advisor.

https://www.businessdail...3578-67h1a5z/index.html

"An independent adviser is expected to look into all aspects of the transaction, including its valuation, before making a recommendation as per the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) guidelines.
“The independent adviser’s circular will be interrogated by us and also be made available to shareholders as part of the shareholders’ circular, to enable them make a decision on whether to accept or reject the offer,” the CMA said.

Of course, who is the chairman of the CMA?

Anyway, I do not see why non-shareholders are so invested in the happenings at Unga. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Of course, unless you are a lackey for the Ndegwas.

Whereas, we appreciate your support, the negativity is perplexing [i.e. "why are you fighting for a higher price the oh-so-generous Ndegwa+Friends have offered"] since other firms eg KK are ripe for a takeover and we do not want others [Biwott family] to screw us over. We have seen what Merali does. Or Matu. Or Pattni. Or Diniz.

[Dang, there are so few investable firms on the NSE when one looks at the Management/Board]

As for KQ (to preempt @Obiero) - As a 1/44,000,000th shareholder + funding via taxes + former shareholder + a "shareholder" via KQLC [Equity, I&M] ... I have an interest in KQ.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#124 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:51:04 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

In 2017-18

There's a floor of 40 while we wait for Unga's board to appoint an independent advisor.

https://www.businessdail...3578-67h1a5z/index.html

"An independent adviser is expected to look into all aspects of the transaction, including its valuation, before making a recommendation as per the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) guidelines.
“The independent adviser’s circular will be interrogated by us and also be made available to shareholders as part of the shareholders’ circular, to enable them make a decision on whether to accept or reject the offer,” the CMA said.

Of course, who is the chairman of the CMA?

Anyway, I do not see why non-shareholders are so invested in the happenings at Unga. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Of course, unless you are a lackey for the Ndegwas.

Whereas, we appreciate your support, the negativity is perplexing [i.e. "why are you fighting for a higher price the oh-so-generous Ndegwa+Friends have offered"] since other firms eg KK are ripe for a takeover and we do not want others [Biwott family] to screw us over. We have seen what Merali does. Or Matu. Or Pattni. Or Diniz.

[Dang, there are so few investable firms on the NSE when one looks at the Management/Board]

As for KQ (to preempt @Obiero) - As a 1/44,000,000th shareholder + funding via taxes + former shareholder + a "shareholder" via KQLC [Equity, I&M] ... I have an interest in KQ.

Lol

VituVingiSana
#125 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:25:48 PM

Closed at 44 with VWAP of 42.50 with 405,000+ shares traded.
The buyers, assuming they are not connected with Seaboard/Victus, must be angling for a better price for the takeover.

Opening up the trading of shares was laudable even though it was clumsily done without proper notice/info from NSE to shareholders. I hope they have learned and the next time they do it better.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
zizzi
#126 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:46:36 PM

obiero
#127 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:49:16 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
The buyers, assuming they are not connected with Seaboard/Victus, must be angling for a better price for the takeover.

Opening up the trading of shares was laudable even though it was clumsily done without proper notice/info from NSE to shareholders. I hope they have learned and the next time they do it better.

Meanwhile, congratulations on your investment in UNGA.. You are one lucky bastard

tandich
#128 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:59:09 PM

I hope that the more muscular minority shareholders can cobble up a blocking. stake. Or even better, a better offer materialises
VituVingiSana
#129 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:32:47 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Meanwhile, congratulations on your investment in UNGA.. You are one lucky bastard

Luck has little to do with it. I must have a loooong post somewhere on why I own/held Unga.
I admit I am a bit concerned/upset about Corporate Governance [well, not Unga directly but Victus trying to pull one over minority shareholders in concert with Seaboard]...

The NAV on the books is KES 50. Add the EPS for 1H 2017-18 [waiting for results by 31st March] and EPS for 2H and that can add 5/-. Plus the last revaluation of "Operating Lease Rentals" was done in 2013 at 878,500,000/-. Most of his is not included in the NAV.

Fair Value should be KES 60-80 after adding in other assets that could be revalued.
VituVingiSana
#130 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:40:13 PM

tandich wrote:
I hope that the more muscular minority shareholders can cobble up a blocking. stake. Or even better, a better offer materialises

Every (minority) shareholder should oppose the lowball offer by Seaboard.
I do not know if there is a mechanism to do so BUT the Offer Document says Seaboard + Victus need 75% [and have 54%] so if we do not support the Offer then they cannot succeed.

Or like you say... a competing offer. Since Victus owns 51%, that might be tougher to pull off unless they agree to sell. Don't forget that Seaboard also owns 35% of Unga Holdings.

BTW, the Annual Report is on their website. http://ungagroup.com/downloads/
obiero
#131 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 7:05:45 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
tandich wrote:

I do not know if there is a mechanism to do so BUT the Offer Document says Seaboard + Victus need 75% [and have 54%] so if we do not support the Offer then they cannot succeed.

Or like you say... a competing offer. Since Victus owns 51%, that might be tougher to pull off unless they agree to sell. Don't forget that Seaboard also owns 35% of Unga Holdings.

So this will mean that those buying now above KES 40 are gambling, at least @vvs has broken even at his purchase price of KES 44

sparkly
#132 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 7:24:00 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Luck has little to do with it. I must have a loooong post somewhere on why I own/held Unga.
I admit I am a bit concerned/upset about Corporate Governance [well, not Unga directly but Victus trying to pull one over minority shareholders in concert with Seaboard]...

The NAV on the books is KES 50. Add the EPS for 1H 2017-18 [waiting for results by 31st March] and EPS for 2H and that can add 5/-. Plus the last revaluation of "Operating Lease Rentals" was done in 2013 at 878,500,000/-. Most of his is not included in the NAV.

Fair Value should be KES 60-80 after adding in other assets that could be revalued.

You know an awful lot for someone who can't settle a debt of USD 120!
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#133 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 9:57:02 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Ouch Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#134 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:38:27 AM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Yes! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
VituVingiSana
#135 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:40:17 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
tandich wrote:

So this will mean that those buying now above KES 40 are gambling, at least @vvs has broken even at his purchase price of KES 44

Beats losing money while waiting for an Open Offer. And still being in the red.
Spikes
#136 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:43:24 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
tandich wrote:

Beats losing money while waiting for an Open Offer. And still being in the red.

Applause Applause Applause Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
wukan
#137 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 11:39:40 AM

What does CMA mean by "A trading halt is a temporary measure, which is wholly distinct from suspension under the law....The Authority shall take further appropriate action in respect of persons established to be engaged in efforts to manipulate the fair, orderly and transparent operations of the capital markets in kenya."
Pesa Nane
#138 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 12:10:01 PM

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
sparkly
#139 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:28:35 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Received KShs 12,000 cash money today at 1604 Hrs. I will invest the same in your honour
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#140 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:42:49 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Received KShs 12,000 cash money today at 1604 Hrs. I will invest the same in your honour

It wasn't easy! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly but I am glad you got it. Plant a few trees. Applause Applause Applause