sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Swenani wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:
So, how will this be better than 8-4-4? I've read all the materials I've found on the new system and I honestly don't know what the advantage is. In fact I see a huge gaping hole in that kids will have be able to stop school at an earlier age of 11/12 or what we now call std. 6.

Who understands this better to enlighten us here?

I think current primary schools will be expanded to cater for upto grade 9. That will mean junior secondary will be hosted in what we now call primary school. That way, if some dont proceed to senior secondary, many will have reached grade 9 the equivalent of form two?

But i understand the curriculum is not even out yet grade 1 and 2 teachers are supposed to switch to new system on 01/01/2018 i.e. from next week????

Are you sure?

It was piloted this year between May and September across 470 schools – 10 in each county.

Where are you getting your news? Sossion?

The link seems to indicate that results of the pilot study haven't been released? How then can the new system be launched in 2018 for grades 1 and 2 even without any single books in the bookshops?. Methinks this is being rushed since those who could criticize have turned a blind eye as they scheme how to cash-in - e.g. book writers/publishers. Even the media is clueless

We agree that a pilot study was carried out, results may not have been released to the public but surely the ministry implementing this have it right?

The govt hopes to provide text books and learning material.

As for rushing when Ole Kiyapi was the PS Education 2010-2011 he spoke of changing the curriculum. .

It was even his campaign mantra when he ran for the presidency in 2012-13

Someone mentioned it on Wazua

How long is enough to talk about it and start implementing? And is the world waiting?

Its good to have timelines, but its more important to get it right. If govt is providing text books, will they do this on day one next week in all public schools as well as private ones since i understand there is none in the bookshops? And while books are important, this is only one of the ingredients. Teachers needed to have familiarized with the new books long before they start teaching, to help them prepare teaching notes, supplementary materials, etc. And in a successful system, teachers / schools ought to have already set CATs or exams as well as exam dates for the whole of next year by now. How to do this without any approved learning material?

No new books are needed for lower primary schools but rather a number of books will be dropped

Me,I think after learning numeracy,literacy and social skills.Learning should be talent nurturing and not trying to make everyone a doc and lawyer

I agree there is an abnormal fascination with exam passing and moving on to become a doc, or lawyer or engineer.
there are some similarities with the German education system, I also think the original 8-4-4 was designed with the same outcome just that it has been watered down and had been turned into a memorization exam passing/cheating contest.

Very true. I remember knitting pajamas and building mud houses, drums etc back in primary then everything changed. Teaching was also a respected career before 844 So, what's to stop this new system from taking the same turn?

Nothing will stop it.The government should have subsidized education not saying it's free.The government won't fund the infrastructure necessary for the practicals
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
ZZE123
#22 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 4:40:12 PM

thuks wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:
Will the current class 3 Kids (those moving to class 4 in 2019) be in the old curriculum or the new one?

I guess new because they intended to start with 2018 group but had no materials then

Government is not serious on this one.. Some schools are saying old others new others waitBrick wall Brick wall Brick wall
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
newfarer
#23 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:23:11 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
thuks wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:
Will the current class 3 Kids (those moving to class 4 in 2019) be in the old curriculum or the new one?

I guess new because they intended to start with 2018 group but had no materials then

Government is not serious on this one.. Some schools are saying old others new others waitBrick wall Brick wall Brick wall

has it ever been serious on anything other than looting? see michuki rules

cp
I have been invited to a halloween party... hii ni upuzi ya wazungu... ati kushtuana... am from Kenya, everyday is halloween.

Mimi hushtuka daily juu ya rent, pesa ya internet, bei ya stima, pegs kuibiwa, socks kupotea moja, kuishiwa na gas nikipika, kuibiwa nguo zikikauka, kusahau change kwa matatu, kununua pizza ya thao, deni ya china, kununua nyama ya punda butchery, kutembelea mtu mwiki....😂 ku date brownskin wa nyeri (1000 ways to die), kuenda kinangop bila sweater, kununua mzinga club...kuenda all white party kitengela (vumbi joh), kuenda bash eastlands na kuacha viatu nje...

We have enough things to scare us already.

We dont need costumes to be scared... just living in kenya is enough halloween.
punda amecheka
murchr
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:31:59 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
thuks wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:

If your child was on the new curriculum while in class 3 they will continue with that in class 4. Mohamed interviewed someone from KICD some time ago you can go and check on youtube, but essentially that is what he said
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
limanika
#25 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:18:33 PM

Amina says Kenya isn't, wasn't ready for the new system. What we've known, been saying all along confirmed
Angelica _ann
#26 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:29:35 PM

limanika wrote:
Amina says Kenya isn't, wasn't ready for the new system. What we've known, been saying all along confirmed

What do you expect of Jubilee gava? Me, nothing ..... my bar is that low!!! So this doesn't surprise me.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Euge
#27 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:57:00 PM

So the new system is on hold? SMH
Lord, thank you!
murchr
#28 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:08:16 PM

Euge wrote:

Amina should resign since she's proved to be incompetent . What is needed(or lacks) if the change happens incrementally per year?

There is no way infrastructure can be "built" if the program is not rolling out, since infrastructure improves as challenges are met. Change management in govt is close to 0

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
limanika
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:52:27 PM

murchr wrote:
Euge wrote:

Amina should resign since she's proved to be incompetent . What is needed(or lacks) if the change happens incrementally per year?

There is no way infrastructure can be "built" if the program is not rolling out, since infrastructure improves as challenges are met. Change management in govt is close to 0

She has done the right thing. Better late than never. The whole thing has so many gaps. For instance 1)/the 2018 class 3 do not know whether they're in new system or old system 2) exams, at there'll be no national exam at end of primary? Will they rely on continous assessments over the years? They trust the teachers to give honest marks? You can go on and on..
Swenani
#30 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:04:35 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
limanika wrote:

What do you expect of Jubilee gava? Me, nothing ..... my bar is that low!!! So this doesn't surprise me.

Some of us don't have a bar for Jubilee
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
newfarer
#31 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:44:17 AM

Swenani wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
limanika wrote:

another jubilee hot air
punda amecheka
Taurrus
#32 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:50:51 PM

newfarer wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
limanika wrote:

another jubilee hot air

Where is this bar l feel like a drink
Lolest!
#33 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:36:30 PM

This is embarrassing for govt and heavily inconveniencing for teachers, parents & pupils
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
sitaki.kujulikana
#34 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:34:51 PM

limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
Euge wrote:

She has done the right thing. Better late than never. The whole thing has so many gaps. For instance 1)/the 2018 class 3 do not know whether they're in new system or old system 2) exams, at there'll be no national exam at end of primary? Will they rely on continous assessments over the years? They trust the teachers to give honest marks? You can go on and on..

those should be the easiest points to implement, if you cant trust teachers to give honest results why trust them to teach in the first place, plus there were supposed to be several national/regional exams over that period.

That said the biggest failure was the infrastructure and resources needed for the new system, for a competency based system one that moves away from the 3 day national exams that are supposed to test a ids 8 years of work, we would need labs and other facilities, I think that is where the issue came up.
limanika
#35 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:12:10 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
Euge wrote:

those should be the easiest points to implement, if you cant trust teachers to give honest results why trust them to teach in the first place, plus there were supposed to be several national/regional exams over that period.

That said the biggest failure was the infrastructure and resources needed for the new system, for a competency based system one that moves away from the 3 day national exams that are supposed to test a ids 8 years of work, we would need labs and other facilities, I think that is where the issue came up.

Have you just landed from mars? Why are teachers asked to stay away from schools during national exams? You havent heard teachers implicated in leakage and cheating? All in thr name of popularizing their schools and to win end year gifts for 'great' performance? Giving such teachers 70% chance to choose who becomes your doctor 20 yrs from now, you're very happy about that?
hardwood
#36 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:22:52 PM

So we are back to the old system where kids are forced to cram so as to be No 1?
#37 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:37:57 PM

hardwood wrote:
So we are back to the old system where kids are forced to cram so as to be No 1?

I wonder how many billions had been wasted/eaten the Kenyan way on this.... Could have been a scam from the get go.

BBI will solve it
:)
Ryko
#38 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:31:57 PM

Cartels be back!!
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
tycho
#39 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 6:06:15 PM

When you read some of Kenya's strategic documents then you'll realize that it's quite difficult for us to come up with a serious education policy and program and implement it.

For example, the stance of 'neutrality' vis a vis the international system is by itself a submission to powers that be in a zero-sum game.

The motif in Kenya is that of maintaining the conditions that please global powers.
murchr
#40 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 6:40:48 PM

limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
Euge wrote:

Continous assessment can be handled by KNEC. Infact I have been informed that Knec has been conducting exams in selected schools mashinani....

Why would you need a lab for class one? Think Limanika you may have been born yesterday and found everything in place for 844 but for those who sat for the first exam in 1989 the infrastructure was done incrementally.

I do not even think Amina's statement is the official stand of govt...we will see.