wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
2-6-3-3-3
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:59:12 PM

So, how will this be better than 8-4-4? I've read all the materials I've found on the new system and I honestly don't know what the advantage is. In fact I see a huge gaping hole in that kids will have be able to stop school at an earlier age of 11/12 or what we now call std. 6.

Who understands this better to enlighten us here?

BBI will solve it
:)
wukan
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:21:15 PM

Most of the population don't need much formal education beyond the functional literacy and numeracy which is achieved by age of 12
limanika
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:18:17 PM

2012 wrote:
So, how will this be better than 8-4-4? I've read all the materials I've found on the new system and I honestly don't know what the advantage is. In fact I see a huge gaping hole in that kids will have be able to stop school at an earlier age of 11/12 or what we now call std. 6.

I think current primary schools will be expanded to cater for upto grade 9. That will mean junior secondary will be hosted in what we now call primary school. That way, if some dont proceed to senior secondary, many will have reached grade 9 the equivalent of form two?

But i understand the curriculum is not even out yet grade 1 and 2 teachers are supposed to switch to new system on 01/01/2018 i.e. from next week????
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:43:02 PM

wukan wrote:
Most of the population don't need much formal education beyond the functional literacy and numeracy which is achieved by age of 12

Really?? At the age of 12? That is very basic education.

Are they copying the UK or is it more of the US model?

What Kenyan education lacks is producing creative minds. Our education products cannot solve problems that they haven't been taught yet that's the whole essence of education; to creatively solving new problems, not old.

BBI will solve it
murchr
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:47:34 PM

limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

I think current primary schools will be expanded to cater for upto grade 9. That will mean junior secondary will be hosted in what we now call primary school. That way, if some dont proceed to senior secondary, many will have reached grade 9 the equivalent of form two?

But i understand the curriculum is not even out yet grade 1 and 2 teachers are supposed to switch to new system on 01/01/2018 i.e. from next week????

Are you sure?

It was piloted this year between May and September across 470 schools – 10 in each county.

Where are you getting your news? Sossion?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:57:56 PM

2012 wrote:

1. Learners will not sit exams but they will be evaluated through Continuous Assessment Tests (CATs) on the skills acquired as opposed to cramming for exams as has been the case.

2. The needs of special needs children have also been incorporated in the curriculum which will integrate ICT at all levels of education.

3. The 2-6-3-3-3 model places emphasis on formative years of learning where learners will spend a total of eight years - 2 in pre-primary and six in primary.

4. Subjects to be taught in lower primary are Kiswahili, English, literacy, and mother tongue as well as science, social studies and agricultural activities.

5. Upper primary will include Kiswahili, English, Mathematics, Home Science, Agriculture, Science and Technology, Creative Arts (art, craft and music), Moral and Life Skills and Physical and Health Education.
Others are social studies (citizenship, geography and history) with an option of a foreign language (French, German, Chinese and Arabic).

6. Learners at senior secondary (ages 15-17) will focus on three areas of specialization depending on their skills, talents and interests. Graduates from this level will have the option to join vocational training centres or pursue university education for three years.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
limanika
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:22:19 PM

murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

It was piloted this year between May and September across 470 schools – 10 in each county.

The link seems to indicate that results of the pilot study haven't been released? How then can the new system be launched in 2018 for grades 1 and 2 even without any single books in the bookshops?. Methinks this is being rushed since those who could criticize have turned a blind eye as they scheme how to cash-in - e.g. book writers/publishers. Even the media is clueless
murchr
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:38:08 PM

limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

The link seems to indicate that results of the pilot study haven't been released? How then can the new system be launched in 2018 for grades 1 and 2 even without any single books in the bookshops?. Methinks this is being rushed since those who could criticize have turned a blind eye as they scheme how to cash-in - e.g. book writers/publishers. Even the media is clueless

We agree that a pilot study was carried out, results may not have been released to the public but surely the ministry implementing this have it right?

The govt hopes to provide text books and learning material.

As for rushing when Ole Kiyapi was the PS Education 2010-2011 he spoke of changing the curriculum. .

It was even his campaign mantra when he ran for the presidency in 2012-13

Someone mentioned it on Wazua

How long is enough to talk about it and start implementing? And is the world waiting?
limanika
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:06:31 PM

murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

We agree that a pilot study was carried out, results may not have been released to the public but surely the ministry implementing this have it right?

As for rushing when Ole Kiyapi was the PS Education 2010-2011 he spoke of changing the curriculum. .

How long is enough to talk about it and start implementing? And is the world waiting?

Its good to have timelines, but its more important to get it right. If govt is providing text books, will they do this on day one next week in all public schools as well as private ones since i understand there is none in the bookshops? And while books are important, this is only one of the ingredients. Teachers needed to have familiarized with the new books long before they start teaching, to help them prepare teaching notes, supplementary materials, etc. And in a successful system, teachers / schools ought to have already set CATs or exams as well as exam dates for the whole of next year by now. How to do this without any approved learning material?
murchr
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:13:47 PM

limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

Its good to have timelines, but its more important to get it right. If govt is providing text books, will they do this on day one next week in all public schools as well as private ones since i understand there is none in the bookshops? And while books are important, this is only one of the ingredients. Teachers needed to have familiarized with the new books long before they start teaching, to help them prepare teaching notes, supplementary materials, etc. And in a successful system, teachers / schools ought to have already set CATs or exams as well as exam dates for the whole of next year by now. How to do this without any approved learning material?

What would a qualified teacher need to familiarize himself with for grade one and two? Anybody can teach that anytime. CATs Continous Assessments are set as teaching goes on. I see you dont want to let go the 8-4-4 mentality. Watch
limanika
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:30:55 PM

murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

What would a qualified teacher need to familiarize himself with for grade one and two? Anybody can teach that anytime. CATs Continous Assessments are set as teaching goes on. I see you dont want to let go the 8-4-4 mentality. Watch

Hahaha...Thats disaster in waiting. There's something called standards. How would teachers themselves be rated without a standard? This by the way, could be matiangi's blind spot
murchr
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:35:41 PM

limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

Hahaha...Thats disaster in waiting. There's something called standards. How would teachers themselves be rated without a standard? This by the way, could be matiangi's blind spot

Every qualified teacher has been taught the basics of teaching. There's nothing out of this world in teaching. But, as of Oct about 80K teachers had gone through pilot training, not enough but nothing alarming
Lolest!
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:57:24 PM

murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:

1. Learners will not sit exams but they will be evaluated through Continuous Assessment Tests (CATs) on the skills acquired as opposed to cramming for exams as has been the case.

2. The needs of special needs children have also been incorporated in the curriculum which will integrate ICT at all levels of education.

3. The 2-6-3-3-3 model places emphasis on formative years of learning where learners will spend a total of eight years - 2 in pre-primary and six in primary.

4. Subjects to be taught in lower primary are Kiswahili, English, literacy, and mother tongue as well as science, social studies and agricultural activities.

5. Upper primary will include Kiswahili, English, Mathematics, Home Science, Agriculture, Science and Technology, Creative Arts (art, craft and music), Moral and Life Skills and Physical and Health Education.
Others are social studies (citizenship, geography and history) with an option of a foreign language (French, German, Chinese and Arabic).

6. Learners at senior secondary (ages 15-17) will focus on three areas of specialization depending on their skills, talents and interests. Graduates from this level will have the option to join vocational training centres or pursue university education for three years.

Some good info over there
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Swenani
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:02:42 AM

limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

No new books are needed for lower primary schools but rather a number of books will be dropped

Me,I think after learning numeracy,literacy and social skills.Learning should be talent nurturing and not trying to make everyone a doc and lawyer
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Wainadi
#15 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 2:49:39 PM

Teachers were trained in a record 4 days on the new system, as citizens of this country, we should do our role of monitoring the progress and implementation.
Its all good.
sitaki.kujulikana
#16 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 3:18:24 PM

Swenani wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

No new books are needed for lower primary schools but rather a number of books will be dropped

Me,I think after learning numeracy,literacy and social skills.Learning should be talent nurturing and not trying to make everyone a doc and lawyer

I agree there is an abnormal fascination with exam passing and moving on to become a doc, or lawyer or engineer.
there are some similarities with the German education system, I also think the original 8-4-4 was designed with the same outcome just that it has been watered down and had been turned into a memorization exam passing/cheating contest.
#17 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 5:55:08 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Swenani wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

I agree there is an abnormal fascination with exam passing and moving on to become a doc, or lawyer or engineer.
there are some similarities with the German education system, I also think the original 8-4-4 was designed with the same outcome just that it has been watered down and had been turned into a memorization exam passing/cheating contest.

Very true. I remember knitting pajamas and building mud houses, drums etc back in primary then everything changed. Teaching was also a respected career before 844 So, what's to stop this new system from taking the same turn?

BBI will solve it
murchr
#18 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 6:45:03 PM

2012 wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Swenani wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
2012 wrote:

Are you sure?

Very true. I remember knitting pajamas and building mud houses, drums etc back in primary then everything changed. Teaching was also a respected career before 844 So, what's to stop this new system from taking the same turn?

It will face the same predicament if we let siasa get into it. We need a change in how we view policy implementation and let institutions work. Do you know why the best education system in the world works?
ZZE123
#19 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 11:38:04 AM

Will the current class 3 Kids (those moving to class 4 in 2019) be in the old curriculum or the new one?
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
thuks
#20 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 12:07:40 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
Will the current class 3 Kids (those moving to class 4 in 2019) be in the old curriculum or the new one?

I guess new because they intended to start with 2018 group but had no materials then
I care!