Faiba 4G....Newest Safaricom competitor
Speculz
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:00:09 AM

maka wrote:
Speculz wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Wororo wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
The 700 MHz frequency assigned to JTL will be the major advantage i.e one tower (eNB) can cover larger areas.

how they got that frequency is story for another day. .

True. 700 mHz is a robust network to set up effortlessly...

The challenge though will be the availability of Band 28 (700mHz) devices - smartphones, routers, tablets etc

How do I check if my phone supports 700MHz?

Gsmarena

Mine says that... is it ok...Smh blonde moment.

Yes, you are fine for the 4G Faiba. I often have the blonde moments in bonds .

i see they will be using band 28 and not 17 for the 700Mhz , might not work if that's the case smile
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Stephen Wright
Ericsson
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:01:37 AM

This war will be nasty.The other three providers have ganged up to crush faiba.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
maka
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:04:27 AM

Speculz wrote:
maka wrote:
Speculz wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Wororo wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
The 700 MHz frequency assigned to JTL will be the major advantage i.e one tower (eNB) can cover larger areas.

The challenge though will be the availability of Band 28 (700mHz) devices - smartphones, routers, tablets etc

Gsmarena

Mine says that... is it ok...Smh blonde moment.

Yes, you are fine for the 4G Faiba. I often have the blonde moments in bonds .

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
possunt quia posse videntur
VituVingiSana
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:05:47 PM

mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:
Do you guys think Faiba can become a potential threat to Safaricom's fast growth in the data business?

120 GB at Ksh 4K - validity 30 days.

to capture well the masses they need to split the 1GB data for 50 Bob further to like 500mb for 25,250mb for 15 and kitu 100mb for 10 but you can now see safaricom is hell expensive

Based on @wororo’s list of compatible phones, there’s no need to sell sub-50 bundles. Folks who can afford the $500+ phones can spend 50/MB per day. Or even less per MB with a plan.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:07:11 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:
Do you guys think Faiba can become a potential threat to Safaricom's fast growth in the data business?

to capture well the masses they need to split the 1GB data for 50 Bob further to like 500mb for 25,250mb for 15 and kitu 100mb for 10 but you can now see safaricom is hell expensive

Based on @wororo’s list of compatible phones, there’s no need to sell sub-50 bundles. Folks who can afford the $500+ phones can spend 50/MB per day. Or even less per MB with a plan.

So wanjiku doesn't need to migrate
mlennyma
#26 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:11:00 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:

ask equity bank or even safaricom how important wanjikus kadogo economy is...offering smaller packaging will cost them nothing ...maintaining a car is the task but buying is a one-off thing
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Ericsson
#27 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:33:16 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:

ask equity bank or even safaricom how important wanjikus kadogo economy is...offering smaller packaging will cost them nothing ...maintaining a car is the task but buying is a one-off thing

Wanjiku is riding high courtesy of the sheap shinese phones.
washiku
#28 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 1:10:21 PM

Thitifini wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:

What??? Where do i get a Faiba SIM? And does it work everywhere in Nairobi? What about Mombasa?

Fisi hour 😂

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
SWENANI ako sorted......

VituVingiSana
#29 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:48:14 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:

If Faiba can contract a Chinese manufacturer to supply cheap/affordable phones ($100 max) that support 700 MHz then it makes sense otherwise why complicate offerings for folks when the only phones that are compatible are the $500+ ones?
That said, the cost of phones keeps on dropping and good refurbished or even new phones [that match @wororo's list] will start showing up soon at $250 or less.

Though one should be careful to try to be everything to everyone. Apple is the most profitable phone [among other items] firm and they chose premium offerings [phones, laptops, etc] vs Nokia. Likewise, Safaricom has chosen a higher priced route with priciest calls, priciest data and priciest Mobile Money BUT they have the best coverage and (probably) quality. There's a market for that.

In my case, I have one of the compatible phones so... bring on the Faiba SIM ;-) ... I will keep Safcom but I want to enjoy the cheap data too.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
washiku
#30 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 3:20:13 PM

FRM2011
#31 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 3:59:20 PM

washiku wrote:
How much is their dongle?

They have one already ?
obiero
#32 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:04:51 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:

If Faiba can contract a Chinese manufacturer to supply cheap/affordable phones ($100 max) that support 700 MHz then it makes sense otherwise why complicate offerings for folks when the only phones that are compatible are the $500+ ones?
That said, the cost of phones keeps on dropping and good refurbished or even new phones [that match @wororo's list] will start showing up soon at $250 or less.

Though one should be careful to try to be everything to everyone. Apple is the most profitable phone [among other items] firm and they chose premium offerings [phones, laptops, etc] vs Nokia. Likewise, Safaricom has chosen a higher priced route with priciest calls, priciest data and priciest Mobile Money BUT they have the best coverage and (probably) quality. There's a market for that.

In my case, I have one of the compatible phones so... bring on the Faiba SIM ;-) ... I will keep Safcom but I want to enjoy the cheap data too.

RESIST? 😄😄😄

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#33 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:15:44 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
watesh wrote:

RESIST? 😄😄😄

Exactly obiero RESIST
washiku
#34 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:30:28 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
washiku wrote:
How much is their dongle?

They have one already ?

Yeah. We have been testing it with my friends. They had gotten them for free to help them test. Speeds are very good. Wonder whether the same will be maintained once many more people join it.
Njunge
#35 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:58:09 PM

Free calls within their network?? This will be a good fight!!

Taurrus
#36 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 5:13:40 PM

Speculz wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Wororo wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

Gsmarena

Ghai! kwani yangu ni gani?Sad
quicksand
#37 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 5:35:51 PM

kawi254 wrote:

A low frequency is good but there are 2 problems:
1. Many phones operate at higher bands, typically 1800+
2. A large powerful mast on low frequency is good for voice. A data network is designed differently. It is made up of very many, small, modular components each supporting a small area (Node Bs, RNCs - can go to as small as a room! (picocells)) ...these are then connected to a very high capacity data network. To set this up to a level that gives Safcom and Airtel,(..mostly Saf) serious pause would cost billions

Wacha tuone!
maka
#38 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:02:59 PM

quicksand wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

2. A large powerful mast on low frequency is good for voice. A data network is designed differently. It is made up of very many, small, modular components each supporting a small area (Node Bs, RNCs - can go to as small as a room! (picocells)) ...these are then connected to a very high capacity data network. To set this up to a level that gives Safcom and Airtel,(..mostly Saf) serious pause would cost billions

Wacha tuone!

WSR has the billions... Plus now money coming in will be clean.
possunt quia posse videntur
kawi254
#39 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:04:17 PM

quicksand wrote:
kawi254 wrote:

Wacha tuone!

JTL already has terrestial fibre and ideally they will be connecting their Node Bs to existing fibre.

Anyway, wacha tuone.. Competition is good, subscribers will benefit and maybe after giants fight each other another 'Essar/Yu' may exit the market.
Wororo
#40 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:56:16 PM

I think Wanjikus could have a savior in a phone brand they are familiar and comfortable with...

Nokia - Kiano.

The new Nokia smartphones (Nokia 3, 5, 6 & 8) - running on the Android platform - support Band 28 ama ukipenda are Faiba 4G compliant.

Even the 'low-end' Nokia 2 that was launched locally at about KES 11,000

The much awaited Nokia 9 (that has a Galaxy Edge design) will also be Faiba 4G compliant...