Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<23456>
Centum half year results 2017/2018
watesh
#61 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:18:47 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
House team backs Sh200bn Lamu coal power plant plan
https://www.businessdail...0740-k93gqvz/index.html
If Centum can find a financing and operating partner then this will be another decent "fair value gain" in Centum's books. The question is "when?" and the sooner the better!

I gave up on this thing, the SGR will be finished even before its started. Too much political propaganda around it
Ericsson
#62 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:44:00 AM

watesh wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
If Centum can find a financing and operating partner then this will be another decent "fair value gain" in Centum's books. The question is "when?" and the sooner the better!

I gave up on this thing, the SGR will be finished even before its started. Too much political propaganda around it

Too much propaganda and PR,nothing on the ground taking place.
Centum are even unable to break ground on their akiira geothermal power plant.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#63 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:45:32 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Forget about the coal power plant for now.
It's not being built any time soon.

Yes, a $2bn power plant isn't like installing a solar panel.

You are now consoling yourself using that line.
Ericsson
#64 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:47:07 AM

Ericsson wrote:
enyands wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Where Centum invested its 1.1bn (from the sale of Platcorp?) https://www.nation.co.ke...59322-idmj91/index.html

sidian bank

Investment firm Centum has pumped Sh1.1 billion into its banking subsidiary Sidian in a rights issue that is meant to boost the lender’s core capital.

Sidian chief executive Chege Thumbi said the capital injection will support trade finance, which the bank has been eyeing as part of a wider scheme aimed at growing its loan book.

Centum holds a 73 per cent stake in Sidian Bank and the Sh1.1 billion cash injection means it has defended its entire stake in the rights issue.

“Shareholders approved a total of Sh1.5 billion rights issue and we have received Sh1.1 billion, which is the share due from our main shareholder Centum. The other investors have until November to contribute their share of the rights,” Mr Thumbi said.

Sidian bank is a thorn in the flesh of centum.
They are to report full year results before thursday which will be a loss widening compared to last year.

Sidian bank FY 2017 loss slides to sh. 632mn
VituVingiSana
#65 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:26:03 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Patience.
A $2bn project isn't easy to pull off. And without a gov't guarantee or "cheap" loans [KQ, Uchumi, KPLC, KenGen, etc] it is even harder. So a step at a time. This isn't a plug & play toy.
SGR isn't making money despite all the assistance and subsidies GoK is giving it.
https://www.businessdail...62110-o5qvf5z/index.html
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#66 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:06:45 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]House team backs Sh200bn Lamu coal power plant plan

Patience.
A $2bn project isn't easy to pull off. And without a gov't guarantee or "cheap" loans [KQ, Uchumi, KPLC, KenGen, etc] it is even harder. So a step at a time. This isn't a plug & play toy.
SGR isn't making money despite all the assistance and subsidies GoK is giving it.
https://www.businessdail...2110-o5qvf5z/index.html[/quote]

So what was the excitement for when it ain't coming anytime soon.
The money isn't even it there and how sure are you centum will be part of the consortium to build it
VituVingiSana
#67 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 8:05:49 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Patience.
https://www.businessdail...2110-o5qvf5z/index.html

The money isn't even it there and how sure are you centum will be part of the consortium to build it

Centum is a conglomerate. Not everything succeeds but looks good for now. Of course, if I think things aren't rosy in the medium to long-term then I will bail.
Coal Plant: It's definitely good news as each hurdle is conquered. It raises the probability of success. If KETRACO can build, in good time, a transmission line from Lamu to (as an example) Vipingo then Centum can plan for an industrial park.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Horton
#68 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 9:32:43 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Patience.
https://www.businessdail...2110-o5qvf5z/index.html

Centum is a conglomerate. Not everything succeeds but looks good for now. Of course, if I think things aren't rosy in the medium to long-term then I will bail.
Coal Plant: It's definitely good news as each hurdle is conquered. It raises the probability of success. If KETRACO can build, in good time, a transmission line from Lamu to (as an example) Vipingo then Centum can plan for an industrial park.

I bailed out a few weeks back. Not too sure/comfortable with their valuations. Love some of the businesses they hold though.
VituVingiSana
#69 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2018 7:49:57 AM

Haba na haba...
https://www.businessdail...67256-22dwkuz/index.html
kawi254
#70 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:25:12 PM

Carrefour to open in Village Market. I see the high net worth traffic to Two Rivers reducing.
VituVingiSana
#71 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 11:38:20 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Carrefour to open in Village Market. I see the high net worth traffic to Two Rivers reducing.

"Market" vs "Hypermarket" but traffic to Two Rivers may reduce though Two Rivers offers a lot more than just Carrefour.
Ericsson
#72 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 6:49:16 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
I will take a contrarian view. Centum is a "Tier 2" holding for me but an important one.

1) DJ remains very important as a rainmaker for Centum BUT Mworia is no slouch. With a huge AUM, folks take his call. He has been instrumental in Centum's growth in NAV over the past few years.
2) Not all deals will be profitable. Some may fail spectacularly BUT as long as the overall portfolio does well...
3) Mworia has skin in the game. I like that.
4) Vipingo will be a huge cashcow for years to come. It might not produce cash until after 2023 [elections are an issue]

I am not a trader so I can wait a few years to enjoy the fruits...

All the best

@vvs
Second year of profit decline

https://www.businessdail...55482-39j90r/index.html
Spikes
#73 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 9:32:37 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
I will take a contrarian view. Centum is a "Tier 2" holding for me but an important one.

1) DJ remains very important as a rainmaker for Centum BUT Mworia is no slouch. With a huge AUM, folks take his call. He has been instrumental in Centum's growth in NAV over the past few years.
2) Not all deals will be profitable. Some may fail spectacularly BUT as long as the overall portfolio does well...
4) Vipingo will be a huge cashcow for years to come. It might not produce cash until after 2023 [elections are an issue]

All the best

@vvs

Capitulation is here to stay...
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
tandich
#74 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 9:35:16 AM

CMA must crack down on these late profit warnings. After all, is it a warning when it is not issued, by definition, in advance? Who believes the Directors when they say they've just realised the decline in earnings almost 1.5 months after year end?

watesh
#75 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 9:37:42 AM

Profit warning and they way they awarded themselves FAT bonuses....
Pesa Nane
#76 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 10:26:34 AM

Ericsson wrote:

@vvs

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
VituVingiSana
#77 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 10:52:27 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

All the best

@vvs

I am going with keep the faith but watch closely! As WB says, we don’t mind lumpy 15% returns vs straight 12% returns. For now, I believe in their strategy, but I did screw up with KQ, even KK under Segman and there’s KenRe... So never say never!

Berkshire Hathaway made a Q1 accounting loss. This isn’t BH’s first loss but it has an excellent track record by playing the long game. BH even takes short-term (accounting) losses for a longer term (real) profit.
And yes, I know Centum isn’t BH.
Ericsson
#78 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 11:28:03 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

All the best

@vvs

I am going with keep the faith but watch closely! As WB says, we don’t mind lumpy 15% returns vs straight 12% returns. For now, I believe in their strategy, but I did screw up with KQ, even KK under Segman and there’s KenRe... So never say never!

Berkshire Hathaway made a Q1 accounting loss. This isn’t BH’s first loss but it has an excellent track record by playing the long game. BH even takes short-term (accounting) losses for a longer term (real) profit.

My fren you are going to be screwed again by Mworia.
Look also at the debt level too.
VituVingiSana
#79 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 11:40:00 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

All the best

@vvs

A Tier 2 holding for me. My core holdings are relatively low debt:equity. I shall watch closely!!! Thanks.
obiero
#80 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 12:31:38 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

All the best

@vvs

A Tier 2 holding for me. My core holdings are relatively low debt:equity. I shall watch closely!!! Thanks.

I met the DJ at Nairobi Hospital last night and he wasn't looking good at all. It is my hope that he pulls through.. Centum's fortunes are tied to the man, in a manner unlike any other listed firm at the NSE

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45