service revenue growth of 12% to 109bn
Voice revenue at 53.2bn
Mobile data 17.6bn
Mpesa 30bn
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Pesa Nane
#2 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 10:09:22 AM

Safricom HY 2018 press release https://www.safaricom.co..._HY18_Press_Release.pdf
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
watesh
#3 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 10:25:58 AM

Currently, I still dont find Masoko interesting. E commerce is effective if things get delivered to your house, but the address system in Africa still has a long way to go. If Safaricom can find a work around the delivery part, i will be more excited. The other thing is developing trust in the ecommerce system in Africa.
Products I am excited about are the Fiber to Home, Lipa Na Mpesa and Data. Lipa Na Mpesa had a 50% reduction in cost but volume went up by 50%, which is very incredible. Cash is still king and only competition is bank debit cards. Mpesa one tap should be rolled out better and introduce better machines for supermarkets.
Fiber to home roll out is excellent and an opportunity has presented itself since Zuku is shooting itself in the foot by angering customers every week. If this continues expect massive migration. I hope Safcom is future proofing the network so as to be able to process the heavy load this new product will bring. Plus they should double the speeds for those prices. Regardless, the growth is phenominal.
Data business is getting competitive. Telkom are going in for the kill thanks to the major funding for Helios. Lots of room for growth due to the 500k very active data customers that come into the network. These are kids from boarding school who just finished highschool. A significant portion of their pocket money goes into data. Every year their numbers get bigger so Safaricom should capture them before the likes of Telkom & Airtel. They are more important for the data business than the older generation due to amount of free time they have on their hands. Lots of room for growth here is tapped into wisely.
Other businesses i would like to see is something from the entertainment industry. Have a product like Netflix or partner with showmax but for local content. Old and new. Lets see an archive for old entertaining shows like Redykyulass and other new shows like Aunty Boss. I want to be able to watch some of their earlier episodes that i missed when being aired on tv. A product like this can be expanded to other countries in Africa.
Ericsson
#4 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 11:13:30 AM

Excellent analysis watesh.
Joe Ogutu also said they are feeling the effect of harsh economic conditions which reduces disposable income for spending on telecoms services
watesh
#5 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 12:10:29 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Excellent analysis watesh.
Joe Ogutu also said they are feeling the effect of harsh economic conditions which reduces disposable income for spending on telecoms services

I believe this is felt across the industry. Especially the election has reduced the flow of money across the industry. Once we are stable politically, things will go back to normal.
Pirate
#6 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 12:26:04 PM

watesh wrote:
Currently, I still dont find Masoko interesting. E commerce is effective if things get delivered to your house, but the address system in Africa still has a long way to go. If Safaricom can find a work around the delivery part, i will be more excited. The other thing is developing trust in the ecommerce system in Africa.
Products I am excited about are the Fiber to Home, Lipa Na Mpesa and Data. Lipa Na Mpesa had a 50% reduction in cost but volume went up by 50%, which is very incredible. Cash is still king and only competition is bank debit cards. Mpesa one tap should be rolled out better and introduce better machines for supermarkets.
Fiber to home roll out is excellent and an opportunity has presented itself since Zuku is shooting itself in the foot by angering customers every week. If this continues expect massive migration. I hope Safcom is future proofing the network so as to be able to process the heavy load this new product will bring. Plus they should double the speeds for those prices. Regardless, the growth is phenominal.
Data business is getting competitive. Telkom are going in for the kill thanks to the major funding for Helios. Lots of room for growth due to the 500k very active data customers that come into the network. These are kids from boarding school who just finished highschool. A significant portion of their pocket money goes into data. Every year their numbers get bigger so Safaricom should capture them before the likes of Telkom & Airtel. They are more important for the data business than the older generation due to amount of free time they have on their hands. Lots of room for growth here is tapped into wisely.
Other businesses i would like to see is something from the entertainment industry. Have a product like Netflix or partner with showmax but for local content. Old and new. Lets see an archive for old entertaining shows like Redykyulass and other new shows like Aunty Boss. I want to be able to watch some of their earlier episodes that i missed when being aired on tv. A product like this can be expanded to other countries in Africa.

Very good analysis . SFC will launch Showmax in less than a month's time
Knowledge is power , but action gets things done ...
hardwood
#7 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 2:20:25 PM

Opposition calls for boycott of Safaricom. Safcom could lose 10m customers today.

http://www.businessdaily...171998-eikksq/index.html
Angelica _ann
#8 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 2:21:40 PM

hardwood wrote:
Opposition calls for boycott of Safaricom. Safcom could lose 10m customers today.

http://www.businessdaily...71998-eikksq/index.html

Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
watesh
#9 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 3:06:37 PM

[quote=hardwood]Opposition calls for boycott of Safaricom. Safcom could lose 10m customers today.

http://www.businessdaily...71998-eikksq/index.html[/quote]
Tough days ahead....I wonder whether Airtel has the capacity currently to sustain the traffic in Nyanza region that will come in
Ericsson
#10 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 3:08:14 PM

Kelele ya chura haimzui ng'ombe kunywa maji
mamilli
#11 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 3:31:18 PM

Ericsson wrote:

Acha tuone kama hii watu tasaidia kuleta share price chini.But i will be surprised if they do.
Never lose your position in a bull market,BTFD.
Ericsson
#12 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 3:39:46 PM

mamilli wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Acha tuone kama hii watu tasaidia kuleta share price chini.But i will be surprised if they do.

Hapo sasa umeongea.Lazima tutengeneze mamilii
Ebenyo
#13 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 4:23:18 PM

[quote=hardwood]Opposition calls for boycott of Safaricom. Safcom could lose 10m customers today.

Although im a follower of Nasa,i disagree with this one.There is difference between business and politics.We cannot politicise everything.We cannot eat,sleep and drink politics.Economic sabotage will only help to create more poverty.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Angelica _ann
#14 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 4:29:02 PM

Ebenyo wrote:

Although im a follower of Nasa,i disagree with this one.There is difference between business and politics.We cannot politicise everything.We cannot eat,sleep and drink politics.Economic sabotage will only help to create more poverty.

Lord of poverty Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#15 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 4:40:52 PM

Ericsson wrote:
mamilli wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Mshuto wa nguvu hujawahi pasua choo

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
AndyC
#16 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 4:50:31 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mamilli wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Is NASA's paybill number still in use?
mamilli
#17 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 5:44:50 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mamilli wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly hizi zako unatoanga wapi..
Never lose your position in a bull market,BTFD.
murchr
#18 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 5:44:59 PM

Strong results. Cheers to the usual suspects!
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
ARAP CHARLES
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 04, 2017 11:01:18 PM

AndyC wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mamilli wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Is NASA's paybill number still in use?

THIS IS NOW THE 1 BILLION DOLLA QUESTION..
Watch and Listen and Live
Ericsson
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 05, 2017 1:58:46 AM

A lot of negative news about safaricom on social media,adverts by Airtel and Telkom on kuhama promotions.