Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages<1234>»
Kenya Power FY2017
Angelica _ann
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:16:25 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Obiero
Kuwa careful ama Resistance Movement will come for you. Iko watu wanapenda dividends kama baba

Tomorrow we witness selective Armageddon on some counters. Luckily I made it out of Financials and spiritedly tried to flee with my wazua brethren and sistren, some of whom have hearts similar to Pharaoh

There is no reason for alarm!!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Spikes
#22 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:51:01 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Obiero
Kuwa careful ama Resistance Movement will come for you. Iko watu wanapenda dividends kama baba

Tomorrow we witness selective Armageddon on some counters. Luckily I made it out of Financials and spiritedly tried to flee with my wazua brethren and sistren, some of whom have hearts similar to Pharaoh

Absolutely! Tomorrow NSE is poised to defy @obiero's unjustified tantrums as he loses credibility again in Wazuan republic aka forum. A rocket rally is widely anticipated as the market opens early morning as presidential rerun anxiety simmers...

Nairobi bourse is expected to register nearly 200 points north, from its previous close 3602.56 on Tuesday, in a single day as vote count for controversial presidential repeat gets underway.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
wukan
#23 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:17:08 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Obiero

Yes I agree. Let's enjoy the relief rally which started on Tuesdaysmile
obiero
#24 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:44:42 PM

wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Obiero

Yes I agree. Let's enjoy the relief rally which started on Tuesdaysmile

@wukan there's a rally at the NSE?? @angel selected counters will be hit by the boycott statement

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ebenyo
#25 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:20:50 PM

Total income grew by 10%.
Total expenditure increased by 11%.
Transmission and distribution costs increased by 17%.The company blames high cost of doing business for this.With the digital meters in place,i thought it should help in reduction of some costs.This 17% increase is very high.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Ericsson
#26 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 1:08:49 PM

Spikes wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Obiero

Absolutely! Tomorrow NSE is poised to defy @obiero's unjustified tantrums as he loses credibility again in Wazuan republic aka forum. A rocket rally is widely anticipated as the market opens early morning as presidential rerun anxiety simmers...

Nairobi bourse is expected to register nearly 200 points north, from its previous close 3602.56 on Tuesday, in a single day as vote count for controversial presidential repeat gets underway.

So who carries the day
One person said there will be blood in the streets especially for financial counters while another said market will defy that and will head North
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#27 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 1:20:10 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Spikes wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Obiero

So who carries the day
One person said there will be blood in the streets especially for financial counters while another said market will defy that and will head North

the wise clown @spikes carries the day.. KQ up 7%.. NBK down 8%, SCBK down 3%

Gatheuzi
#28 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 8:12:03 PM

obiero wrote:
Gatheuzi wrote:
Afroblk wrote:
watesh wrote:
I only buy this stock for dividends and diversification. As long as it gives me 5% dividend yield and higher i will buy then sell the stock at any point it rises. Parastatals rarely give meaningful growth in capital gains.
Horrible results but I am happy we have a dividend

Watesh, glad to see I'm not the only one that's gravitating towards high yielding dividend stocks in this market. People don't realize you can actually live on dividends alone as passive income while still making capital gains. In the US I've seen portfolios that earn upwards of $40K a year as dividends alone from high yielding stocks from as low as $450K investment. In Kenya it's a little tricky since the companies only do two payments (interim and final) while in the US it's every quarter. Regardless, you can still make money via dividends in Kenya but you'd have to invest tens of millions in order to earn decent dividends that can sustain at least 70% of your annual expenses. Since you're into this, check out these four additions to your portfolio :)

Williamson 10.03%
Bamburi 7.84%
StanChart 6.61%
EA Cables 6.99%

I didn't include BAT since I don't support their line of business. People are trying to live and yet they're killing more people. smh

One of my greatest regrets is not realizing power of dividend investing early in my investing career. If I had followed this strategy I guess I could be quite ahead in the game. My main focus was capital gains which was my earliest success points back then. With time however, I have realized the power of dividend investing strategy especially when combined with dividend re-investing. One of the cons is however that it needs time of at least 10 years for the benefits to be felt. Picking high yield stocks remains key to the success of this strategy as you have put it. There arr however other factors to consider such as payout ratios (should not be too high as to drain the business of future growth). One should also consider the dividend growth rate over a period of about 10 years to determine if the trend is favourable or not.

@gatheuzi and @vvs need a separate thread on this discussion, considering their age

smile It took me several years to undertand this. When I was young I would dismiss the strategy as a boring way of getting peanuts in returns. This is until I came across the term "freezing the yield".
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Ericsson
#29 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 11:54:35 PM

This company did a rights issue in 2010 at a price of sh.19.
7 years later the share price is at 10.
Wasted investment for those who particpated in the rights issue
mlennyma
#30 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:40:11 AM

Ericsson wrote:

Buy...as they wait for 19.50 to wash away their loss you will have doubled your investment,some analysts gave it a solid buy two weeks ago
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Ebenyo
#31 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 11:22:18 AM

Ericsson wrote:

Its still a viable investment to long term investors.This company is a monopoly.
If Gok can give up atleast 30% of its 50 percent holding in the conpany,it will have opened way for efficient and proffesional management which will impact very positively on the company growth.
obiero
#32 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 11:34:23 AM

mlennyma wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Buy...as they wait for 19.50 to wash away their loss you will have doubled your investment,some analysts gave it a solid buy two weeks ago

Exactly! It all depends on the buying price

watesh
#33 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 12:23:30 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Its still a viable investment to long term investors.This company is a monopoly.
If Gok can give up atleast 30% of its 50 percent holding in the conpany,it will have opened way for efficient and proffesional management which will impact very positively on the company growth.

Never going to happen in near future. My policy is to buy when the dividend yield is among the highest in the market plus make up not more than 5% if my portfolio. Their cashflow is still very bad, they spend waaay more than they bring in so ever dependent on loans.
mlennyma
#34 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 12:30:15 PM

watesh wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Never going to happen in near future. My policy is to buy when the dividend yield is among the highest in the market plus make up not more than 5% if my portfolio. Their cashflow is still very bad, they spend waaay more than they bring in so ever dependent on loans.

as long as it's a government company it's every Kenyan who will pay the loans, just a tariff hike aimed at paying the loans will do and we have no other options
obiero
#35 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 12:32:27 PM

mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

as long as it's a government company it's every Kenyan who will pay the loans, just a tariff hike aimed at paying the loans will do and we have no other options

I like your way of thinking

muandiwambeu
#36 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 5:19:01 PM

obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I like your way of thinking

Bad way of thinking if u are suggesting I use good moni to chase bad money, as my learned from friend would always tell me.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Ericsson
#37 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 12:48:18 AM

watesh wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Cashflow very bad.They will soon stop giving out dividend or request for debt restructuring from GOK. KQ/KENGEN style
Ericsson
#38 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 9:50:21 AM

http://www.businessdaily...60862-da4n83/index.html

Data from electricity distributor Kenya Power shows that the peak demand — maximum power ever consumed — shot to 1,710 megawatts in the year ending June 30, a 7.8 per cent rise from 1,586 megawatts a year earlier.
Ebenyo
#39 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 1:10:02 PM

Gatheuzi wrote:
Afroblk wrote:
watesh wrote:
I only buy this stock for dividends and diversification. As long as it gives me 5% dividend yield and higher i will buy then sell the stock at any point it rises. Parastatals rarely give meaningful growth in capital gains.

Watesh, glad to see I'm not the only one that's gravitating towards high yielding dividend stocks in this market. People don't realize you can actually live on dividends alone as passive income while still making capital gains. In the US I've seen portfolios that earn upwards of $40K a year as dividends alone from high yielding stocks from as low as $450K investment. In Kenya it's a little tricky since the companies only do two payments (interim and final) while in the US it's every quarter. Regardless, you can still make money via dividends in Kenya but you'd have to invest tens of millions in order to earn decent dividends that can sustain at least 70% of your annual expenses. Since you're into this, check out these four additions to your portfolio :)

Williamson 10.03%
Bamburi 7.84%
StanChart 6.61%
EA Cables 6.99%

I didn't include BAT since I don't support their line of business. People are trying to live and yet they're killing more people. smh

One of my greatest regrets is not realizing power of dividend investing early in my investing career. If I had followed this strategy I guess I could be quite ahead in the game. My main focus was capital gains which was my earliest success points back then. With time however, I have realized the power of dividend investing strategy especially when combined with dividend re-investing. One of the cons is however that it needs time of at least 10 years for the benefits to be felt. Picking high yield stocks remains key to the success of this strategy as you have put it. There arr however other factors to consider such as payout ratios (should not be too high as to drain the business of future growth). One should also consider the dividend growth rate over a period of about 10 years to determine if the trend is favourable or not.

Dividends are for long term goals while capital gains are for short term goals.It depends with one priorities.
mlennyma
#40 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 1:31:37 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Gatheuzi wrote:
Afroblk wrote:
watesh wrote:

Williamson 10.03%
Bamburi 7.84%
StanChart 6.61%
EA Cables 6.99%

Dividends are for long term goals while capital gains are for short term goals.It depends with one priorities.

i sharply disagree with anyone saying kpc cannot guarantee capital gains, it was trading at around 6 to 6.50 that's good capital gain