wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Jeff Mwangemi alias Crucial mundu
Fyatu
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 1:28:58 PM

Just thought it was good to recognize Jeff Mwangemi a.k.a crucial mundu for the good work he has done huko V.O.K/KBC radio/Idhaa ya taifa.

This highly underrated radio personality single handedly( i stand to be corrected) pioneered the reggae culture in Kenya. I know some kauzi's(bad boys/sisters) of yesteryears might argue that Papa Lefty, sister lucy, papa bingy should also be recognized, but Jeff in his own unique way taught Kenyans reggae music. He is still around/alive and i have deemed it fit to recognize this unsung Kenyan hero while he is still alive through a wazua thread. Jeff mimi kama @fyatu nakutambua. Wewe ni shujaa wa Kenya.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
FRM2011
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 1:49:47 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Just thought it was good to recognize Jeff Mwangemi a.k.a crucial mundu for the good work he has done huko V.O.K/KBC radio/Idhaa ya taifa.

This highly underrated radio personality single handedly( i stand to be corrected) pioneered the reggae culture in Kenya. I know some kauzi's(bad boys/sisters) of yesteryears might argue that Papa Lefty, sister lucy, papa bingy should also be recognized, but Jeff in his own unique way taught Kenyans reggae music. He is still around/alive and i have deemed it fit to recognize this unsung Kenyan hero while he is still alive through a wazua thread. Jeff mimi kama @fyatu nakutambua. Wewe ni shujaa wa Kenya.

Thursdays 8-9am and a repeat on Monday 2-3pm. Jeff was king.

He once made a mistake of stopping in Karatina town around 1995. There was a stampede as everyone was trying to get a glimpse of the man himself. Cops had to help him get in his car.

Usisahau papa Charlie. King lion sounds. Everyone had a cassette tape of these guys.

Currently reggae has gone mainstream. Even upmarket pubs play reggae music.

I haven't managed to outgrow reggae. Every weekday evening am on either ghetto radio or hot 96. Saturday it's milele FM.

On YouTube demakufu, kalonje and DJ lyta have amazing roots mixes.

In his small way, Jeff started a music revolution that will outlive him many years to come.
harrydre
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:10:09 PM

I heard he used to call himself rasta and every fan grew some, just to later realize he was bald.
i.am.back!!!!
AlphDoti
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:26:42 PM

He was an icon. I remember.

Even with my age, my younger brother used to come for my double-speaker radio cassette which I obliged. He used to keep a note book full of lyrics of favorite songs played by Jeff Mwangemi!
kayhara
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:34:10 PM

Is he sill around some other veterans I would like to know where they went to
1-John Karani
2-Ali salimanga
3-Elina chiveka
4-Elizabeth Obege

Ali salimanga was notorious for keeping listeners hanging on whether a goal had been scored during radio football broadcasts repeating MSIKILIZAJI 20 times before letting us know if there was a score.
Also reading the salaams on idhaa ya taifa with shabiks like Lama bin Lama, Sura mbaya kiango Momanyi.
Okay I have stopped.
To Each His Own
Taurrus
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:57:53 PM

harrydre wrote:
I heard he used to call himself rasta and every fan grew some, just to later realize he was bald.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Much Know
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 3:14:24 PM

He had quite an original style, he once had a show, poh poh poh! That all youth kutoka mashambani hadi mijini would tune in, we used to sometimes skip class sometimes to listen, no regrets, especially if it was a biology class!
A New Kenya
kangi
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:25:14 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

He once made a mistake of stopping in Karatina town around 1995. There was a stampede as everyone was trying to get a glimpse of the man himself. Cops had to help him get in his car.

Usisahau papa Charlie. King lion sounds. Everyone had a cassette tape of these guys.

I haven't managed to outgrow reggae. Every weekday evening am on either ghetto radio or hot 96. Saturday it's milele FM.

In his small way, Jeff started a music revolution that will outlive him many years to come.

Say that again...... it actually belongs to the TBT section. Remember the nganyas of Dandora..Eliza Kid ilikuwa imeweza back in the days.

I find it surprising that the Wailing Souls and I Jahman Levi are also appreciated by the current generations.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define your life.
kangi
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:27:05 PM

The man himself still does his works on KBC Swahili Service during weekday afternoons when Parliament is on recess. He still rocks/reggaes.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define your life.
harrydre
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:44:05 PM

he used to end the show in style! damn I miss those days as a little young boy. John Karani was another great, some show around 4pm, Fred Obachi Machokaa and his Music Time. There was another guy too who had a great Hip Hop show in the afternoons on Metro FM lol...Station had just launched. I can't recall his name but the background beat to his show was EPMD's "Da Joint".

i.am.back!!!!
Speculz
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:56:02 PM

harrydre wrote:
he used to end the show in style! damn I miss those days as a little young boy. John Karani was another great, some show around 4pm, Fred Obachi Machokaa and his Music Time. There was another guy too who had a great Hip Hop show in the afternoons on Metro FM lol.

Beat time.
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Stephen Wright
willin2learn
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 6:10:01 PM

kayhara wrote:
1-John Karani
2-Ali salimanga
3-Elina chiveka
4-Elizabeth Obege

Ali salimanga was notorious for keeping listeners hanging on whether a goal had been scored during radio football broadcasts repeating MSIKILIZAJI 20 times before letting us know if there was a score.
Also reading the salaams on idhaa ya taifa with shabiks like Lama bin Lama, Sura mbaya kiango Momanyi.
Okay I have stopped.

5. Charles Omuga Kabisae*
harrydre
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 6:22:25 PM

willin2learn wrote:
kayhara wrote:
1-John Karani
2-Ali salimanga
3-Elina chiveka
4-Elizabeth Obege

Okay I have stopped.

5. Charles Omuga Kabisae*
6. Muthoni Bwika

i.am.back!!!!
mpobiz
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 6:26:16 PM

I also salute this radio legend.
Let's not forget his sidekick stanno.
He used to call stanno. .stanno.. stanno
If there is anyone here who can remember stanno who was he?
Politics is just things to keep the people divided and foolish and put your trust in men and none of them can do nothing for you...
dunkang
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 7:45:27 PM

kangi wrote:

Say that again...... it actually belongs to the TBT section. Remember the nganyas of Dandora..Eliza Kid ilikuwa imeweza back in the days.

I find it surprising that the Wailing Souls and I Jahman Levi are also appreciated by the current generations.

I remember.

Pia Mathioya Coach, Mathioya Legacy, 680, ZV, Spider!!!!!!

I surely did spend my childhood well!!!!!
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

Lolest!
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 7:51:18 PM

ION 'Yours For The Asking' by Mwangemi us back on KBC every Saturday
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
safariant
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 8:10:04 PM

mpobiz wrote:
I also salute this radio legend.
Let's not forget his sidekick stanno.
He used to call stanno. .stanno.. stanno
If there is anyone here who can remember stanno who was he?

He was his producer and Dj.
Dj Stanno, and he is still on KBC English service, with his own show
The greatest act of bravery is chancing a fart while suffering from diarrhoea
safariant
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 8:14:59 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Reggae music is the only genre that makes as good music now as it did back then. It's also really grown especially here in kenya thanks to the likes of Jeff Mwangize. He never appears on TV!

Reggae has staying power.
The greatest act of bravery is chancing a fart while suffering from diarrhoea
Impunity
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 8:58:38 PM

Fyatu wrote:

True...he pioneered reggae music in Kenya...them days reggae was plated only twice a week on radio in the whole republic.
I think Mondays for 1 hr only n repeat the same on Thursday.

That starting like by Don Carlos song was organic...Just a passing a glance...then followed by Wailing Souls song...hohoi jaah hotel, howowoiyee woyeee,demagoyeee.

Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 9:31:45 PM

Fyatu wrote:

Ala, I knew Jeff for Yours For The Asking, Late Date & Sundowner. I didn't know him for reggae, but again, I was not an ardent reggae fan only Jerusalem, Alpha Blondy. That song used to play 10 times a day.

BBI will solve it
:)