wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Work from home
Mike Ock
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:53:12 PM

Are any Kenyan companies offering this perk?
murchr
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:49:43 PM

Most Kenyans (a majority) are not honest enough to be trusted
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
piedpiper
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:00:35 PM

This is not a perk but a pipe dream...at least for the next decade or two
Life is a beach and I'm just playing in the sand
sparkly
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:07:20 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
Are any Kenyan companies offering this perk?

As an employer I encourage my employees to work away from the office, as long as they deliver.

If they don't exhibit personal accountability i just let them go.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Angelica _ann
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:23:24 PM

In the NGO world, some cadre of staff (senior most SMT) are allowed what is called flexi time though are controlled by; (i) long ins and (ii) common shared hours. in Kenya, i have observed this in Swedish (4) and Australia (1) donor agencies.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:28:21 PM

murchr wrote:

Sad but true

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
quicksand
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:51:58 PM

murchr wrote:

It is not really a matter of being trusted...companies that do it want to cut costs in some way..for instance office space. I have see this work (american company) and usually there is a checklist that ensures nobody slacks around. For instance:
1) The homeworker must prove existence of a quiet work environment in their home..ergo a dedicated room, with a desk, phone and web connected computer with webcam
2) HR creates a precise, measurable workforce program that tracks tasks daily. You receive tasks in the morning and do submissions at regular intervals.
3) IT installs tracking software on your computer, with your consent. This software tracks when you have logged in and can show to an admin at any one time what you are doing on-screen. Some have policies about leaving your home desk unmanned (frequency and duration)

In all, it is beneficial because you avoid the commute. But it would be misleading to think you can look after a baby for instance and be productive in a well controlled home working system without help. Tracking can be strict, it would drive you up the wall or put you on a collision course with the bosses.
Swenani
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:39:49 PM

piedpiper wrote:
This is not a perk but a pipe dream...at least for the next decade or two

I agree, a piper had dream before it was pied
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
murchr
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:30:14 PM

quicksand wrote:
murchr wrote:

It is not really a matter of being trusted...companies that do it want to cut costs in some way..for instance office space. I have see this work (american company) and usually there is a checklist that ensures nobody slacks around. For instance:
1) The homeworker must prove existence of a quiet work environment in their home..ergo a dedicated room, with a desk, phone and web connected computer with webcam
2) HR creates a precise, measurable workforce program that tracks tasks daily. You receive tasks in the morning and do submissions at regular intervals.
3) IT installs tracking software on your computer, with your consent. This software tracks when you have logged in and can show to an admin at any one time what you are doing on-screen. Some have policies about leaving your home desk unmanned (frequency and duration)

In all, it is beneficial because you avoid the commute. But it would be misleading to think you can look after a baby for instance and be productive in a well controlled home working system without help. Tracking can be strict, it would drive you up the wall or put you on a collision course with the bosses.

I don't know what company you are referring to here but this is not entirely true.

Its all a matter of trust because.

1. The company provides you with a laptop, docking station and monitor(s) to enable you to work.

2. No body has that time to come inspect your home to show that you have "office space" That's just a lie. The management trusts that you have enough space to place your equipment and whatever paper work you may require since you have agreed to WFH.

3. The company provides the equipment(just like the person in the office) and the software too. So your computer has limitations and capabilities to ensure that the work is safe.

4. You do not need webcams(although most laptops have one) Most IT guys will tell you that the webcam is the most dangerous tool to be hacked. Unless your job requires you to be seen(news presenters opinion givers, etc) Skype for business is enough. All meetings/webinars office phone calls can be cast on there.

5. All HR requires from you is that you do not violate the companies policies. No one has the time to "monitor" or watch what you are doing. Heck even the HR personel are working from home. Your time management records are approved by your direct boss.

6. I have not heard of tracking softwares. As is you do not need to be in your house if you are not in the office. You can go visit your friend and still work as long as you are working from the company provided laptop.

7. WFH policy does not mean your work from home entirely, your office space is still available in case you have an in-person meeting with colleagues. You will be moving around with your laptop as you wish. Some companies offer WFH days eg 2 days in a week as a privilege to reduce the commute time by employees.

8. There are "remote employees", who work from home almost entirely due to their nature of the job but these also have office space and usually join the rest when need be.

All you need is a reliable internet provider with WIFI.

Am sure companies like Microsoft, Cocacola, IBM, GE, most multinationals have WFH policies in the west, why not in Kenya?

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
quicksand
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:03:49 AM

murchr wrote:
quicksand wrote:
murchr wrote:

It is not really a matter of being trusted...companies that do it want to cut costs in some way..for instance office space. I have see this work (american company) and usually there is a checklist that ensures nobody slacks u uaround. For instance:

I don't know what company you are referring to here but this is not entirely true.

Its all a matter of trust because.

1. The company provides you with a laptop, docking station and monitor(s) to enable you to work.

2. No body has that time to come inspect your home to show that you have "office space" That's just a lie. The management trusts that you have enough space to place your equipment and whatever paper work you may require since you have agreed to WFH.

3. The company provides the equipment(just like the person in the office) and the software too. So your computer has limitations and capabilities to ensure that the work is safe.

4. You do not need webcams(although most laptops have one) Most IT guys will tell you that the webcam is the most dangerous tool to be hacked. Unless your job requires you to be seen(news presenters opinion givers, etc) Skype for business is enough. All meetings/webinars office phone calls can be cast on there.

5. All HR requires from you is that you do not violate the companies policies. No one has the time to "monitor" or watch what you are doing. Heck even the HR personel are working from home. Your time management records are approved by your direct boss.

6. I have not heard of tracking softwares. As is you do not need to be in your house if you are not in the office. You can go visit your friend and still work as long as you are working from the company provided laptop.

7. WFH policy does not mean your work from home entirely, your office space is still available in case you have an in-person meeting with colleagues. You will be moving around with your laptop as you wish. Some companies offer WFH days eg 2 days in a week as a privilege to reduce the commute time by employees.

8. There are "remote employees", who work from home almost entirely due to their nature of the job but these also have office space and usually join the rest when need be.

All you need is a reliable internet provider with WIFI.

Am sure companies like Microsoft, Cocacola, IBM, GE, most multinationals have WFH policies in the west, why not in Kenya?

Work from home varies company to company. The local Oracle corp office have it and they have not implemented many of the things I listed there.
I did not pull those from the air. I actually worked on such an initiative with a local company, hence the American company we studied that had done it. I am in IT. The objective was to save money and completely remove trust from the equation. I didn't intend to imply those requirements are universal, but for this particular case they were intended to apply (Kenyans and their predilection to moonlight). Ultimately, it never took off, it was deemed as something the market is not ready for.
I don't know what you have based your assumptions on.
May be it is based on trust after all.
Much Know
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:18:46 AM

Its never an issue of trust of employees but knowledge of the leader, in a knowledge based economy, or institution, not a "bean counting" organisation. Kenyan organisation are led by mediocre "kiosk/mama mboga thinking" sweatshop mentality, running exhibition stalls as side hustles, businesses meaning a matatu somewhere or building ngorofas, or supplying stationary to garment, loan sharking banks e.t.c no serious work, or innovative ideas for performance, ni ujinga tu wa Kupimia kondoo masaa. Its common knowledge 80% of employees dont contribute anything to the bittom line even if they report at 6am, most Kenyan organisation are the ones that are too mediocre and employers dunderheads. If someone has a clear vision, planning, m&e, reporting and communication, working from home is the best. I work from home, go to engineering machine workshops, spareshops, hardware shops, e.t.c when the need arises, as innovators and entrepreneur's you will not have much choice, am also willing in future to take up people who work from home, once am through that will be thousands of "performance contractors".
A New Kenya
kelly04
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:03:59 PM

We have what we call "Homebase" in our company.
But same should not exceed 10 days a month.
Angelica _ann
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:39:03 PM

some policy in Kenya operate thus >>>>>>>>>>>

Where flexi working hours are authorised, there shall be core period of the work day when all employees are expected to be at work regardless of location, station and site. Generally 11 am to 4pm
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Mike Ock
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:27:23 PM

murchr wrote:

Is that a problem that an office solves really? Isn't it easier to lie about productivity in an office, where you can arrive at your desk and pretend to be really focused. Boss looks at you and assumes you're a hard worker, kumbe you're just surfing through Xvideos behind the screen. Doesn't work from home force the employer to be keen on performance and not appearances?
Much Know
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:41:13 PM

In offices the bosses start screwing employees literally, even peoples wive, what for in a 20% interest rate country is my cute wifie putting on trousers for and running into a cooperate environment for, if they cant pay her to work from home, shes stupid, wall street jamaas don't agree to such, usiseme mambo na jews, ni ujinga tu, and this bosses, they are just bosses because of tribe, relatives e.t c not because they are "more intelligent" as they usually think.
A New Kenya
murchr
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:04:59 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

Is that a problem that an office solves really? Isn't it easier to lie about productivity in an office, where you can arrive at your desk and pretend to be really focused. Boss looks at you and assumes you're a hard worker, kumbe you're just surfing through Xvideos behind the screen. Doesn't work from home force the employer to be keen on performance and not appearances?

The reality is most people work under pressure. Just make an observation and you'll note that..We still have that colonial mentality of "kusimamiwa" so that you can work.

I asked, are global conglomerates in Kenya offering the WFH policy? If not why yet their counterparts in the west have it?
Mike Ock
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:12:17 PM

murchr wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

The reality is most people work under pressure. Just make an observation and you'll note that..We still have that colonial mentality of "kusimamiwa" so that you can work.

I asked, are global conglomerates in Kenya offering the WFH policy? If not why yet their counterparts in the west have it?

From my experience with work from home, as long as the boss says "hello" to everyone in the company Whatsapp/Skype group in the morning, they imagine he's watching their moves the whole day and they work even more than usual with this imaginary fear that they might be being watched Laughing out loudly

Anyway, on a serious note, yes, you need strict monitoring in Kenya, but an office makes it easy for managers to slip into bad habits of using 'shortcuts' to monitor if work is being done well, like how long you stay in the office, dress code, looks etc. Work from home forces the managers to develop objective work measurements since they can't see the people, they can only see the work output.
Pirate
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:14:39 AM

Mike Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

From my experience with work from home, as long as the boss says "hello" to everyone in the company Whatsapp/Skype group in the morning, they imagine he's watching their moves the whole day and they work even more than usual with this imaginary fear that they might be being watched Laughing out loudly

Anyway, on a serious note, yes, you need strict monitoring in Kenya, but an office makes it easy for managers to slip into bad habits of using 'shortcuts' to monitor if work is being done well, like how long you stay in the office, dress code, looks etc. Work from home forces the managers to develop objective work measurements since they can't see the people, they can only see the work output.

I work in an organization that gives you a high level of flexibility on where you choose to work, be it home or office .
Employees are measured on productivity depending on the targets or assignment they have been given . There's a chap who used to check in office once a month and always over-delivered on his targets .
Of course there will be individuals who misuse such benefits , I recall once calling someone to follow up on work and could hear a tractor roaring in the background. Anywho she still met her targets so no issues
I believe in the short term for a new employee,they may get caught up in the freedom and abuse it , however in the long term , they adapt and eventually it becomes the new normal . Interestingly, most employees still come to office but at their own schedule , no pressure to get at 8am allowing one to have a level of balance with family etc which is key benefit for most.
That said ,recent research has shown that working from home significantly impacts collaboration and creativity . Multinational companies are starting to discourage or limit telecommuting as a result of this .

Knowledge is power , but action gets things done ...
kaka2za
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:15:47 PM

A number of NGOs are quite flexible. Sometimes going to the office adds no value. Suppose am working on a proposal,how would going to the office help?
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Kate_Mbarire
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 10:57:35 PM

kaka2za wrote:
A number of NGOs are quite flexible. Sometimes going to the office adds no value. Suppose am working on a proposal,how would going to the office help?

Yes working from home is quite common....called teleworking...and yes some organizations do this.Its such a good way to motivate you and I guess as long as you can deliver a product in a timely manner then teleworking makes sense...especially for consultants