wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Deacons HY17
VituVingiSana
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:45:24 PM

So they finally figured out that they sell over-priced clothes?
https://www.businessdail...12886-6ty7laz/index.html
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Horton
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:44:38 AM

[quote=VituVingiSana]So they finally figured out that they sell over-priced clothes?
https://www.businessdail...2886-6ty7laz/index.html[/quote]

Was at babyshop in sarit centre recently. These guys need to slash their prices by over 50% and inprove Staff attitude for them to earn customer loyalty or goodwill. They seemed to treat their customer like they are doing them a favor
VituVingiSana
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:39:00 PM

Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
https://www.businessdail...2886-6ty7laz/index.html

Was at babyshop in sarit centre recently. These guys need to slash their prices by over 50% and inprove Staff attitude for them to earn customer loyalty or goodwill. They seemed to treat their customer like they are doing them a favor

It seems all they are doing is flogging a dead horse. I am glad I dumped mine [at a loss] and moved on.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:10:23 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

It seems all they are doing is flogging a dead horse. I am glad I dumped mine [at a loss] and moved on.

Wait a minute sir. Have you ever made a profit from your investments. Asking in humility

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 12:01:16 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Wait a minute sir. Have you ever made a profit from your investments. Asking in humility

Good Question Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
The answer is YES
BUT I have not had a 100% success rate.
My "poor" investments include:
KQ [sold out. Break-even?]
Olympia [sold out at a loss. Matu the Thief]
ADSS [sold out at a huge loss]
Kenya Finance [Collapsed. Nyammo the Thug]
Deacons [sold out at a loss]
KCB [sold out. There was a Rights Issue but the price dropped. Then KCB did another Rights Issue soon thereafter at a lower price. I should have held on.]
Sasini [sold out after seeing what Merali the Merciless did to Firestone/Sameer shareholders]
(among others)

The "good" news is that I have had some heavy hitters that covered my mistakes.

CUT YOUR LOSSES if you think the management is lousy or a bunch of thieves.

VituVingiSana
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 12:06:52 AM

LC Waikiki is the type of retailer that Deacons should have partnered with
https://www.businessdail...314638-rgeiuf/index.html
obiero
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:59:40 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The answer is YES
KCB [sold out. There was a Rights Issue but the price dropped. Then KCB did another Rights Issue soon thereafter at a lower price. I should have held on.]
Sasini [sold out after seeing what Merali the Merciless did to Firestone/Sameer shareholders]
(among others)

Well noted. In future I would suggest that you stick to large caps since the kahoonas primarily stalk illiquid counters that are easy to manipulate

VituVingiSana
#28 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:31:11 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The answer is YES
(among others)

Well noted. In future I would suggest that you stick to large caps since the kahoonas primarily stalk illiquid counters that are easy to manipulate

I disagree. There’s nothing wrong with well-run small caps. I have FTGH and C&G in my portfolio. KQ was a big cap...
Ericsson
#29 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:57:26 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:59:40 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The answer is YES
(among others)

True @vvs after all this years now you shouldn't be talking about making losses in your Investments in the NSE
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#31 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:12:36 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The answer is YES
(among others)

I disagree. There’s nothing wrong with well-run small caps. I have FTGH and C&G in my portfolio. KQ was a big cap...

KQ never went down and out, it's you who left the party just before the cute ladies arrived, and please please FTG inaweza kuchomeka very soon

VituVingiSana
#32 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:01:01 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The answer is YES
(among others)

True @vvs after all this years now you shouldn't be talking about making losses in your Investments in the NSE

It's naive to think that one can't make losses [despite the years in the NSE]. I am sure I will lose money on some of my investments.

An interesting one is KenRe in which I am break-even at best using the "market prices" but way ahead using NAV. Since I can't sell NAV, I am stuck waiting for "price discovery" via a strategic (non-GoK) investor like PIC (SA) OR a takeover.
VituVingiSana
#33 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:06:45 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The answer is YES
(among others)

KQ never went down and out, it's you who left the party just before the cute ladies arrived, and please please FTG inaweza kuchomeka very soon

Dear @Obiero, I sold/disposed most of my KQ in 2012 between 13-14. Since then, it has been divided into 4 bits [the "consolidation"] and trades at 16 therefore the "2012" 13 = "2018" 4 ... I am happy & relieved to have left the party. You an enjoy what's left!

FTGH - Not a core holding but I am confident the profitability will bloom in 2018. FY 2017 has been horrible with elections, tight money markets and losses from Nakumatt. [From the 1H report and profit warning]

Deacons - A disaster but I bailed out (at a loss). Reinvested into other shares.
I used some of the proceeds to buy Unga. Even if Seaboard pays stated NAV of 49, I am ahead of the game. If they pay stated NAV (49) + revalued land (last done in 2013 and not included in the Balance Sheet) + 1H PAT = 60/- Pray Drool Applause

Deacons failed coz it tried to target the middle income folks with prices that were anything but middle income!