wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
These secession talks
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:13:12 PM

I think it's a terrible idea because our tribal divisions further compound the insignificance of our small country on the global stage but I believe we are sober wazuans and should have an intellectual discussion here, may be just for fun.

That said, the drafters should have at least curved out Garisa to Lamu under the Central republic so they can also have their own desert and port, ama?

But a more pertinent question would be, since the break-up idea has obviously been hatched to control Turkana for its oil and the port at the Coastal, what happens the day when Turkanas or Coasterians in the People's Republic of Kenya feel marginalized by the bigger tribes of Luos and Kambas or Luhyas? Will they also break off?

BBI will solve it
:)
masukuma
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:08:25 PM

While I always kinda knew it was coming (a reaction to being beaten 3 times in a row), I believe Ali Kiba said it best in Mwana
Quote:

♬ We bado mtoto kwa mama hujayajua mengi
Mwenda tezi na omo marejeo ngamani🎶

♪Amesema sana mama dunia tambara bovu
Kuna asali na shubiri, ujana giza na nuru
We mwana wewe mwana, mwana jeuri sana
Ulichokifuata huku pata, umekosa ulivyoacha♬

♪Kwa baba yako mwana, na mama yako mwana
Kwa vichache ulivyo vitaka, nivingi ulivyoacha 🎶)
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
harrydre
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:37:02 PM

That map will slowly cave in to only Nyanza which will be landlocked Rwanda style. Otieno will have to apply for visa to fly internasional or to bathe pale mambasani.

https://www.kenyans.co.k...president-uhuru-kenyatta
i.am.back!!!!
washiku
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 10:31:38 PM

If we took devolution seriously, nobody would ever think of this story.
Mike Ock
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:44:12 AM

washiku wrote:

This is the ideal solution, but unfortunately human beings will always have an obsession with the top position. Look at UK, where the Queen was turned into a purely ceremonial figure, but they still obsess over her like it's life or death. Even in USA they have devolved so much that any major decision from the president must pass through several people, and the individual states are so independent that each has its own set of laws, yet still they treat the presidency as life or death
murchr
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:58:46 AM

Mike Ock wrote:
washiku wrote:

This is the ideal solution, but unfortunately human beings will always have an obsession with the top position. Look at UK, where the Queen was turned into a purely ceremonial figure, but they still obsess over her like it's life or death. Even in USA they have devolved so much that any major decision from the president must pass through several people, and the individual states are so independent that each has its own set of laws, yet still they treat the presidency as life or death

I beg to differ. The US does not treat the Presidency as a matter of life and death. You don't hear states complaining that they have never had a president now its their time. US presidents have agendas they want to fulfill and those agendas drive the votes and voters. The queen is adored in the UK yes but no one would kill for her. Here, greed drives us, all these big bellied men just want to get an opportunity to do what they want with your taxes. Its about them and their families and what they can do with those instruments of power.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
masukuma
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:02:15 AM

Obi and I wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

@Masukuma

You are really on this thing. How about the simple argument that by the mere fact that the commissioners have been linked to actual (not alleged) bribery, they should resign. As they refuse to resign, applying public pressure (through demos) should make them resign.

That the govt refuses to push this agenda is a clear indication that if CORD were to pursue the legal channels, they would not succeed. Please re-visit your comment with regards to the Ugandan prof. who stripped naked to protest. How did you justify her actions, why is it different to CORD's actions when they automatically know that legal channels will not see them achieve their objectives unless Jubilee which is silent on the matter sides with them.

Remember I said the law is supposed to do 2 things - demonstrate fairness and also protect the individual

Let's talk about DEMONSTRATION OF FAIRNESS
I think I have partially addressed your comment (unknowingly in a post that was written before this) especially on the "channels" - I get you! this is "war" and "perceptions trump facts" in the eyes of the public. I GET IT! if we don't allow CORD to have their ways (or make the legal channels look like the channels of the oppressors) they will not go there. Same as elections - if Elections are thought as being "jubilee" events (i.e. IEBC is JEBC ) - CORD and their people will follow alternative channels ("away from the oppressors"). That is one side of the equation.

There is a second part of the equation is PROTECTION OF THE INDIVIDUAL
IEBC is made up of people... just like you and I! How are their rights protected in this equation? Anyone who knows anything about the modern way of looking at law tells you that the rights of the individuals are propergated outwards to the society and so things like "the life of one for the sake of many will" will not fly! Will you agree to die for Kenya? of course not! My arguement is - let CORD/JUBILEE find a channel that also protects the rights of the individuals. These are people with families! Someone once told me they saw Oswago walking around in a cap and shades.... Coz if you fall out of grace in a major way - you lose your reputation.

I think i have proposed a way to ensure that these two are married! We need people who worked at the commission to walk with their heads high and also have CORD feel that this "war" can be won and is worth engaging in. This involves Jubilee and CORD working together to send them home Mutunga style home with benefits e.t.c. They should not be seen to have been hounded out of office by shame. I think a middle ground can be found.

tycho
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:20:16 AM

The subconscious seems to be very vulnerable to suggestion, and if one isn't vigilant then one can easily be led to dangerous positions.

Interestingly,the cure for such spiritual attacks is sight. To see the other's mind as you see your own. It begins with the mystical path of course, this sight. A lot of work is needed but the climax is a possibility.

This is the answer to all clamor, in a universe where everything is as political as it is anything else. The universe is a singularity.

Talk of secession therefore is an act against nature. It is a politics of despair, and if we are weak, then this despair seeps into us via the subconscious and we create realities that will work against us.

The question of identity is difficult but is answerable. So if one ventures to ask why the world is torn he/she must always remember that we're all a singularity. And must work towards restoring singularity. Those who work against singularity are likely to be spiritually compromised and under the control of the evil one.

But

kuna dawa kuna dawa,
(dawa ni lightii)
Kuna dawa kuna dawa x 2

You know, 'illuminati' was once a good word/name? But the devil seems to have taken over it for quite a while now...

Alafu Hesus akasema: 'Mi ndio illumi wa ukweli, ule anataka kuwa free acome, anifate. Akinifata ataona, na akiona atajua ukweli. Na guess what? Akijua ukweli, atakuwa free'.

Kwani Ndii, hawezi kuwa illuminatus na vile amesoma?

Twende kwa Hesus mimi na wee ...
Njung'e
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:08:39 PM

The "secessionists" have conveniently curved off Garissa,Lamu,Narok, Kajiado,Pokot and Samburu even though the said counties voted overwhelmingly for Uhuruto. If they left them out, then , Nyanza, Western and Turkana would become two landlocked enclaves. FunnyLaughing out loudly
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
kaka2za
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:13:02 PM

The grand march to Canaan has ended up in this ??
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:45:57 PM

South Sudan was ok until Garang passed away. South Sudan had not seen past John Garang hence the mess they are in now.
Kenya would be no different if we broke off, I can assure you,like South Sudan, Turkana with its oil and aquifer, will eventually want to break off from the 'peoples republic of Odinga' due to marginalization by the bigger tribes. You won't ever see an end to this once it starts.

But now that we are discussing this issue soberly, at what point does go into the realm of treason? As you know, most countries secede after war and this kind of talk mostly leads there.

BBI will solve it
:)
Wakanyugi
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:22:21 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
washiku wrote:

Unfortunately the secessionists have to contend with a few immovable (and inconvenient) facts:

1. The creation of modern states is more about economics, not politics (something Economist Ndii should know).

2. Splintering Kenya into tribalstans will solve neither the economic nor the political problems. It will exacerbate them

3. People do not stay together because they like each other but because they need each other (this is equally true of families as of countries).

4. It is accepted that, from the pain of electoral loss, such nonsensical ideas are bandied about every couple of years - it is a good venting mechanism. But RAO and his principals better not take them seriously, unless they want to spend their twilight years on the run.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
masukuma
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:32:40 PM

2012 wrote:
South Sudan was ok until Garang passed away. South Sudan had not seen past John Garang hence the mess they are in now.
Kenya would be no different if we broke off, I can assure you,like South Sudan, Turkana with its oil and aquifer, will eventually want to break off from the 'peoples republic of Odinga' due to marginalization by the bigger tribes. You won't ever see an end to this once it starts.

But now that we are discussing this issue soberly, at what point does go into the realm of treason? As you know, most countries secede after war and this kind of talk mostly leads there.

As I said elsewhere... before swallowing a mango seed - be sure not only to have measured the size of your mouth but also the size of your anus!

I argue that South Sudan didn't really know what "independence" is/was!! They still don't! to them it's being free of the influence of the North... being free to do "your thing"... Kinda reminds me of a line in Spiderman

If you listened around do you hear people moaning that "colonialists" should not have given independence "too early"... maybe they should have waited until the 70s or 80s.

These things are not as romantic as people want to paint them!! Lastly, break away republics are normally poor inviable and unsustainable things!

if you cannot figure out how to use your intellect to stay together - in a viable country... do you think you will figure out how to live together in that "people's replublic of whatever"? Ukistajabu vya musa - utaona vya firauni!
Lolest!
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:58:58 PM

Njung'e wrote:
The "secessionists" have conveniently curved off Garissa,Lamu,Narok, Kajiado,Pokot and Samburu even though the said counties voted overwhelmingly for Uhuruto. If they left them out, then , Nyanza, Western and Turkana would become two landlocked enclaves. FunnyLaughing out loudly

Noted that too

Lamu went Nasa with a small margin. The secessionists have rigged Kajiado and Narok to create a 'highway'. They don't want to have isolated territories like Angola's Cabinda
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Njung'e
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:34:58 PM

Lolest! wrote:
[quote=Njung'e] They don't want to have isolated territories like Angola's Cabinda

Shouldn't the secessionist shouting from Nairobi, first move to their "new found country" (Canaan?) and make noise from there if they are serious?. I mean, it's bad manners to complain about your "country" while in another "country", ama?smile
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
harrydre
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:45:29 PM

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF LUO NYANZA?

By Samson Ogola on Facebook

Before you crawl to this wall to tell me how I hate Luos or how secession is not a Luo thing, know this...

1.Abagusi and Kuria voted to support the Kikuyu/Kalenjin

2. Kambas donated MPs to the Kikuyu/Kalenjin regime

3. Three Coastal Counties trust the Kikuyu/Kalenjin regime enough to give them 3 governors

4. Luhyas believe in the Kikuyu/Kalenjin oppressors enough to give them more than 10 legislators.

5. Maasai have sided with the Kikuyu/Kalenjin oppressers

Luo Nyanza is the only place where the Kikuyu/Kalenjin Oppression is loathed...for the obvious reason that we have a presidential candidate we've been forcing down others' throat since several years before my second wife was born.

It's why anti- IEBC Demos degenerated into "Ouru Mas go". Why the recent unrests was "Luolised". We are alone.

But..

Let's, for argument's sake, entertain the sick idea that we need a Democratic Republic of Luo Nyanza so that someone can realize his presidential dream...

Let's say, we hold our first democratic elections in the new republic and Dr. Kidero emerges the winner. What next?

Let's say the insatiable thirst for power leads to the formation of People's Republic of Siaya. And after an election, Tuju emerges the winner. What next?

Will he form a Kingdom?

My point? People have the right to self-determination, but you can't subdivide a country that's been independent for 50+ years, not suppressed fundamental freedoms and never seen armed civil war or government sponsored genocide...just because you want to be president.

That, in my humble view, is taking political despair to levels unknown.

And isn't it ironically embarrassing that Luos are being fed the "form your own country and escape Kikuyu/Kalenjin oppression " crap by a Kikuyu?

Fellow Luos, we've embarrassed ourselves enough in the name of politics. Let's find another obsession...I propose "wealth creation" as our obsession moving forward.

What do you think?
i.am.back!!!!
masukuma
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:57:24 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Njung'e wrote:

Noted that too

Lamu went Nasa with a small margin. The secessionists have rigged Kajiado and Narok to create a 'highway'. They don't want to have isolated territories like Angola's Cabinda

Guys.. why are you letting facts come in the way of a good story? Kill Joy!!
Intelligentsia
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:44:54 PM

2012 wrote:

So could it be thats why this seccession manenoz has been thrust into public light and debate, then when SC announces upholding of the results that will be the cue for 'spontaneous' mass action to kickoff, that is hoped to lead to a revolution that leads to seccession?

Is that the grand plan?
Wakanyugi
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:06:49 PM

By: Stephen Derwent Partington, on Facebook

As an ODM-leaning chap (and I want to be very specific about the NASA party that excites me, given its last ‘on our own’ manifesto; the other constituent parties and ‘principals’ make me shake my head) who also sees some value in some of what Jubilee did during the last term, I think this secession talk is dangerous nonsense, which also has a whiff of capitulation in it. Ndii is of course a valuable economist and possesses one of those rare minds that can express itself clearly in the general newspapers – I have to admit, though, that in the run-up to this election, I found some of his articles skewed so that the statistics fit the prescribed ideology, whereas many of his earlier articles seemed to credit me as a reader with a greater ability to make up my own mind. I liked those articles more. Also, reading back through some of Ndii’s articles, as I recently have due to my concern about the privatisation of Health and Basic Education in Kenya, I’d probably want to point out that he seemed, some years ago, to explicitly praise privatisation, a fact that worries me in itself, but also because it makes me wonder which Ndii is the real Ndii’l (pardon the pun). Yes, people change their minds, but few change them honestly so radically as to move from being a cheerleader for privatisation, to being its nemesis – I’d need reassurance prior to fully trusting him.

And this carving-up of Kenya concerns me as an idea in itself, but also in its timing and intention. We all rightly jumped up, scared, when Kalenjin leaders of a certain stripe argued, some few years ago, that the Rift Valley Province should become an autonomous ‘nation’. We worried because: a) it seemed ‘tribalist’/ethno-nationalist; b) we all knew that it could theoretically work because the Rift Valley is large enough (it’s the same size as the UK) and because it’s fertile. This new proposal by sections of NASA is no less tribalist, even though it appears to hug many ‘tribes’ together in one ‘Kenya A’ while pushing away another couple of ‘tribes’ into another ‘Kenya B’. What’s the difference between NASA isolating the one or two ‘Kenya B’ ethnic groups and Hutus shouting ‘cockroach’ at Tutsis? I find it profoundly disturbing.

I also feel that it accepts the ethnic cocoons that the British as vile settlers and colonisers forced peoples into. It accepts fences. In fact, this is NASA paddocking the nation, and it’s disgracefully dangerous. And in the process it cynically suggests, by means of cartography, that one or two tribes only are the problem, are the maintainers of tribalism, are in need of ostracism, are the power-greedy and have been the power greedy since the last Kenya-map of the 1960s. I consider this to be appallingly wrongheaded and cynical, for by lumping together an area of land, it also lumps together people of other groups as being ‘all the same’ and therefore ‘all complicit in the same perceived crime’, when you and I know that the mass of the people are NOT fundamentally the problem in our nation-of-Kenya, a Kenya riven by fundamental class divides more than it’s riven by ethnic divides, even though, superficially, the latter might seem, during the pantomime of elections, to be the stronger force. And this cartographic crime being committed by NASA does all this while slyly managing to throw up the hands of all these other ‘tribes’ so they can say, ‘We’re not the problem; THEY are!’ – and this, even while it’s NASA sketching the map. No, map-making is never neutral, and is always motivated; and the nature of cartography is that, in the heat of the moment, caught in the discourse of the day, we fail to see the dangers and the hatreds and the wickednesses, even if they were not necessarily intended. The outcomes would be appalling.

I have no time for this map, and certainly have no time for it coming now, at a moment of utter antagonism between groups. Ndii is an economist, not a student of culture, and I think he’s overlooking the human aspect of things and eliding history. Indeed, the map seems like a terribly threatening blackmail, to me and therefore, I have to assume, to one or two ethnic groups. We should presently be arguing strongly against ossified forms of ‘given ethnicity’, and exploding certain cultural myths that make ethnic groups communitarian monoliths; as a socialist I believe that while ethnic diversity is something to be celebrated for its wonderful difference, it’s also very dangerous when it fossilises and fixes, and that class divides need to be more clearly identified and evangelised, in order that the poor of even ethnic groups ‘we’ think have ‘oppressed us’ can move to act for their own benefit. I fear that this pernicious map will rather force ‘them’ to more simplistically become ‘them’, in more closed a fashion. In fact, this map is a recipe for fashioning those ‘others’ into what NASA possibly believes ‘they’ already are, and is therefore a self-fulfilling prophesy. No, maps never innocently describe reality; they instead actively construct reality. This map is tribalist in the simplistic sense of the word. And, although I think Ndii lacks cultural sensitivity and possibly unconsciously elides some of the complexities of Kenyan history, I find it difficult to believe that a brain as competent as his is fully ignorant of what happened in Rwanda, what happened in Burundi, what happened in Sudan and elsewhere.

And I feel that there have been clues in Ndii’s writing in the past that beneath the economic talent there’s a worrying ‘tribalism’ – I wrote about it in an unpublished piece responding to his ‘Bogeyman’ article of many months ago, which article concerned me in its implication that the Kikuyu are all land-grabbers bent on ‘primitive accumulation’ (his term), while all Luo are wholly irreproachable in this regard. He set up on this level of land-grabbing, and on other levels, and he did so with ONLY an economist’s eye, fully failing to consider the cultural and socio-political writings of numerous academics who have more subtly commented on, for example, the pre-colonial moral economy of the Kikuyu and other groups. Ndii created a very harsh Kikuyu/Luo dualism in that article, of a sort I now see replicated in this silly yet dangerous cartography. I personally won’t be quiet as such dichotomies are strengthened at a time such as this, when perceived Luo/Kikuyu antagonisms are being pumped up again to a point where (certain members of) one side is capable of hating the other to, possibly, extreme and widespread violence. This map is part of the problem.

It is this map, more than anything else, that will see me move away from supporting NASA, and even perhaps that constituent party, ODM, especially if Raila becomes a lame duck leader, because I don’t trust anybody else in that movement (and certainly not those tiresome ‘principals’) NOT to retreat into ethnicity and into believing that this map describes the present state of Kenya and a need. The implication of the map and its contextualising comments is that ‘since this is anyway how Kenya is, let’s go ahead and carve it up’; somebody is accepting that this is ALREADY how things are, and that mapmaking is innocently descriptive. People, it ain’t. This map is what ‘the other side’ will see as propaganda and a threat; it is what I see as wrongheaded and antagonistic, naïve and cruel, culturally insensitive and (even if unintentionally) hateful.

Kenya can still form itself as a coherent yet diverse nation under the new Constitution. And it can do so in wonderfully imaginative ways, different to those dull nation states of 19th- and 20th-century Europe, for example. To remain with our present borders will force us to become ever more excitingly imaginative and loving. To secede and to carve Kenya up will be to capitulate to the very basest form of right-wing identarian and communitarian politics, of the sort imposed upon Kenyans by the dull and cruel British and which, dear NASA, you claim to loathe when, with your equally segmented eyes, you see it in others.

I don’t think NASA is thinking straight at all; it’s like a boxer trying to articulate himself when, post-bout, s/he’s still suffering from concussion.

We can all be better, wiser and more loving than this.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
chiaroscuro
#20 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 10:21:31 AM

Njung'e wrote:

Like This: