wazua Sun, Jun 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Car ignition issue diagnosis
tnai9
#1 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:12:13 PM

Wazuans, my jalopy a Toyota 2007 model, with about 170k km has persistent issues with ignition. Lately it has severally failed completely to start. It eventually starts after pestering it like 5 times. Its regularly serviced, new iridium plugs/battery. I was advised by my mech initially to change the fuel pump(changed twice - from Shamas(X-japan), fuel filter(new from toyota) but the issue persists. Now am being told by another mech I buy the crankshaft sensor. I have had three diagnosis by different mechs, one of which was by a Toyota Ke mech in his garage but no error codes.

The issue occurs after parking the car for sometime. When I start it, it cranks endlessly and when it starts(after repeatedly pressing the start engine switch), the revs are very low, it really stutters and jerks, and the rev counter fluctuates up and down..like its getting little fuel..sometimes it jerks and goes off..or if am lucky the revs pick up after like a minute..then normalizes.

Wazuans has someone experienced this? please recommend a mechanic who can fix this issue professionally. Am really tired of the trial and error cycle am in with my current mechs. So far about 30k is gone and am still in the same mess. Thinking of Toyota ke, not sure of the bills plus the mech who wasn't able to fix it in his garage will be probably the one to attend to it.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
vky
#2 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:07:53 PM

tnai9 wrote:

The issue occurs after parking the car for sometime.

parasitic battery drain, check for interior lighting that might stay on after shutting everything in the car, mainly glove box lights and the boot light
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
tnai9
#3 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:58:28 PM

vky wrote:
tnai9 wrote:

The issue occurs after parking the car for sometime.

parasitic battery drain, check for interior lighting that might stay on after shutting everything in the car, mainly glove box lights and the boot light

Thanks but this not the case, the battery is so new, and all those compartments lights switch off when I lock the car.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
Chaka
#4 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 2:47:00 PM

Has the IAC valve been checked/cleaned?
tnai9
#5 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 2:52:29 PM

Chaka wrote:
Has the IAC valve been checked/cleaned?

Yes this was cleaned--with carburetor cleaning fluid the last time a pump was also being fixed
Chaka
#6 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 3:54:04 PM

..or if am lucky the revs pick up after like a minute..then normalizes. .or if am lucky the revs pick up after like a minute..then normalizes.
Unquote
If your were to switch engine off after the above,would it start normally?
tnai9
#7 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 4:18:29 PM

Chaka wrote:

If your were to switch engine off after the above,would it start normally?

Yes, if I start the car shortly after switching it off, it starts almost normally. The issue happens mostly after say more than an hour of inactivity, like when I park in the evening and come in the morning, or in the evening when leaving work after parking the car all day.
Chaka
#8 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 4:32:32 PM

tnai9 wrote:

Yes, if I start the car shortly after switching it off, it starts almost normally. The issue happens mostly after say more than an hour of inactivity, like when I park in the evening and come in the morning, or in the evening when leaving work after parking the car all day.

I suggest you have the fuel line checked for air leaks..Also when the ignition is switched on,the fuel pump primes the fuel line,ie fills is it with fuel..this can be checked by putting your ear next to the fuel cap inlet and then switching the ignition on,you should hear the pump hum briefly and then stop...
tnai9
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 01, 2017 10:08:23 AM

Chaka wrote:
[quote=tnai9]
I suggest you have the fuel line checked for air leaks..Also when the ignition is switched on,the fuel pump primes the fuel line,ie fills is it with fuel..this can be checked by putting your ear next to the fuel cap inlet and then switching the ignition on,you should hear the pump hum briefly and then stop...

This will be one long journey. The pump is working perfectly, we tested with three different mechs.
I was advised the disable the alarm(autowatch) which I have done, and so far the car has cranked and ignited almost normally for two days, but the idling after ignition is still so bad-like the car is about to go off/has no fuel. I have noticed if I rev the car at those low revs the revs normalize and it doesn't go off. But when I engage any gear-R or D at those low revs, it jerks and switches off.
mawinder
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 02, 2017 4:58:15 PM

tnai9 wrote:
Chaka wrote:
[quote=tnai9]

This will be one long journey. The pump is working perfectly, we tested with three different mechs.
I was advised the disable the alarm(autowatch) which I have done, and so far the car has cranked and ignited almost normally for two days, but the idling after ignition is still so bad-like the car is about to go off/has no fuel. I have noticed if I rev the car at those low revs the revs normalize and it doesn't go off. But when I engage any gear-R or D at those low revs, it jerks and switches off.

Did the car come with this alarm from Japan? If no, then it is the culprit.After market additions to the electrical system should be avoided at all costs
kayhara
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 9:29:49 AM

While we are on ignitions, I recently switched to these push button ignitions, yesterday I wanted to sit in the car and listen to the radio without having to switch on the engine, I was unsuccessful is there a procedure, wah I am getting old.
To Each His Own
tnai9
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 3:29:32 PM

mawinder wrote:

Did the car come with this alarm from Japan? If no, then it is the culprit.After market additions to the electrical system should be avoided at all costs

Nope, It didnt have. Just from toyotsu for diagnosis and nothing clear came out. Got trouble code P1603 which implies a myriad of things. Technician suggested replacing temp sensor and cleaning engine strainer which requires opening the samp. I refused. While at the garage the car also decided to behave, no hard start etc..
tnai9
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 3:32:15 PM

kayhara wrote:
While we are on ignitions, I recently switched to these push button ignitions, yesterday I wanted to sit in the car and listen to the radio without having to switch on the engine, I was unsuccessful is there a procedure, wah I am getting old.

Press start engine button once with you foot off the brake. You will listen to radio. To get to the ACC ON equivalent(like with the key) press a second time still with your foot off the brake.

Chaka
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:20:54 PM

tnai9 wrote:

Nope, It didnt have. Just from toyotsu for diagnosis and nothing clear came out. Got trouble code P1603 which implies a myriad of things. Technician suggested replacing temp sensor and cleaning engine strainer which requires opening the samp. I refused. While at the garage the car also decided to behave, no hard start etc..

The diagnosis was at the Enterprise Rd. service centre?How much do they charge?Was the CEL light on
or its off nut generates that error all the same?
mawinder
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:55:38 PM

tnai9 wrote:
mawinder wrote:

Try this experiment,remove the alarm totally and see the reaction
tnai9
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:56:28 PM

Chaka wrote:
[quote=tnai9]

The diagnosis was at the Enterprise Rd. service centre?How much do they charge?Was the CEL light on
or its off nut generates that error all the same?

Yes. Nilikuwa naogopa tu...full mechanical and electrical diagnosis 5.8k(incl Vat). Given a quote for repairs for about 18k. Check engine light has never come on. What do you mean above?
tnai9
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 5:04:27 PM

mawinder wrote:

Try this experiment,remove the alarm totally and see the reaction

Thanks. Will try since the car has really behaved after I turned it off (with the override switch). I'll turn it on this evening and see how it behaves kesho morning.
Chaka
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 5:36:53 PM

tnai9 wrote:
[quote=Chaka][quote=tnai9]

Yes. Nilikuwa naogopa tu...full mechanical and electrical diagnosis 5.8k(incl Vat). Given a quote for repairs for about 18k. Check engine light has never come on. What do you mean above?

My understanding all along has been that if CEL does not come on,then there are no error codes..which from your experience ain't the case.
The other issue here is this " had three diagnosis by different mechs, one of which was by a Toyota Ke mech in his garage but no error code"..then a code is found at Toyotsu