wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Land Cruiser V8 Petrol or New Prado 2.8 Diesel?
Khalidz
#1 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 1:23:22 PM

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time (though never registered) and it's truly resourceful.

I'm torn between a 2011-2013 Land Cruiser V8 200 Series Petrol (4600cc) and the latest 2015-2017 Prado D4D with a new 2800cc Diesel engine plus a 6 speed gearbox. I know both are very capable & reliable cars, but I've always loved the V8 for it's looks, stability, size and great power. The Prado might be good in fuel consumption, but I understand it's underpowered. The engine is too small for a car its size. I would also feel very jealous anytime a V8 drove by. The car will mainly be for highway use (long range touring). To those in the know, is the V8 really that thirsty?

A Discovery 4 HSE would be another option but Landrover products are a no-go zone for now due to their horrible reliability history.

Budget: Ksh7million. A brand new Prado starts from Ksh6m while one can get a slightly used V8 ZX(ex Japan) for 7m or lower.

So, should I follow my heart and go for the V8 or should I follow my head and pick up a Prado?
quicksand
#2 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 3:15:27 PM

Khalidz wrote:
I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time (though never registered) and it's truly resourceful.

I'm torn between a 2011-2013 Land Cruiser V8 200 Series Petrol (4600cc) and the latest 2015-2017 Prado D4D with a new 2800cc Diesel engine plus a 6 speed gearbox. I know both are very capable & reliable cars, but I've always loved the V8 for it's looks, stability, size and great power. The Prado might be good in fuel consumption, but I understand it's underpowered. The engine is too small for a car its size. I would also feel very jealous anytime a V8 drove by. The car will mainly be for highway use (long range touring). To those in the know, is the V8 really that thirsty?

A Discovery 4 HSE would be another option but Landrover products are a no-go zone for now due to their horrible reliability history.

Budget: Ksh7million. A brand new Prado starts from Ksh6m while one can get a slightly used V8 ZX(ex Japan) for 7m or lower.

So, should I follow my heart and go for the V8 or should I follow my head and pick up a Prado?

Why is the VX diesel not on your options list? I think it is a beautiful compromise of some of the good looks of the ZX and the fuel sensibility of the Prado ....
Whatever the reason, with a ready 7 million to splash on a car, I'd say you are in the rich set, fuel consumption should not worry you. Follow your heart. Get the ZX.
mawinder
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 12:22:23 PM

Khalidz wrote:

If you are thinkimg of fuel consumption get an Axio.
Where is this brand new being sold at Kshs 6m???
Obi 1 Kanobi
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 01, 2017 5:50:31 PM

Khalidz wrote:

I am envious at your options. But I say VX anyday
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins