wazua Thu, May 9, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
IAAF World U18
maka
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:52:34 PM

Well organised...Applause Applause Applause Kasarani looks superb.
possunt quia posse videntur
Kaigangio
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:34:04 PM

One problem though...the designer of the track forgot that the stadium was open to the sky. As it rained there was alot of water pooling on the track. Hope those stadium officials will do a good drainage system in future to take care of storm water. Anything else was superb.
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
hamburglar
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:17:02 AM

maka wrote:

Well organised...Applause Applause Applause Kasarani looks superb.

We are a preeminent track and field nation. This kind of facility should have been developed a long time ago. There is no reason why we shouldn't have a diamond league leg held in Kenya. Poor leadership is what's holding us back. Such events infuse money into the country and put us on the global map. We should have taken advantage of our athletics prowess to really have more of these events held in Kenya from a long time ago. Don't try to tell me that all those years we couldn't afford a track like the one that was just laid in kasarani. We should have another one at Nyayo Stadium as well and maybe even host the IAAF world championships in the near future. It's really not that hard if we have organized leaders both in government and Athletics Kenya. Problem is both of those institutions are full of idiots who only think about how they can benefit from their positions instead if focusing on how we can take advantage of our talent to help both our athletes and Kenya. Bure kabisa.
wazuaguest
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:27:10 AM

Sports without fans is really not cool.If we had leadership that really thought strategically Kipchoge Keino Stadium would have been developed long time ago as a track and field stadium to host such events.I can assure you for the entire games the stadium would be filled to the brim
Africa belongs to Africans.
madollar
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:26:42 AM

South africa looking good in the sprints already bagged 100M gold and silver despite a future usain bolt in the field going by the name Wilson.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:43:23 AM

Someone needs to tell the US and the UK that the world is moving on without them. #Boycotmyarse
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
hamburglar
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:16:56 PM

The turnout is really really poor. Absolutely dismal for an international event. Am hoping beyond hope that more fans show up over the weekend and help us save some face. I will be in attendance to play my part. Would it be possible for the organizers to maybe charge something like 100 shillings gate fees so as to get the house packed? Maybe announce on TV and on radio stations across the country the discounted gate charges? We need to figure out a way to get people into kasarani to fill up the seats. Right now it's really embarrassing. Maybe even have kids under 12 years old get in free with an adult. Something needs to be done before the weekend to get get people to go otherwise we will never be accorded another international event to host.
hamburglar
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:22:04 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Someone needs to tell the US and the UK that the world is moving on without them. #Boycotmyarse

Those two should be ashamed of themselves. As much as our athletes grace their events, Boston, London, New York, Chicago marathons and even smaller ones like the Prefontaine meet, they couldn't cobble up a couple hundred thousand dollars to send a few young men to Kenya? I find their action a little spiteful.
kimanimsc
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:09:39 PM

hamburglar wrote:
The turnout is really really poor. Absolutely dismal for an international event. Am hoping beyond hope that more fans show up over the weekend and help us save some face. I will be in attendance to play my part. Would it be possible for the organizers to maybe charge something like 100 shillings gate fees so as to get the house packed? Maybe announce on TV and on radio stations across the country the discounted gate charges? We need to figure out a way to get people into kasarani to fill up the seats. Right now it's really embarrassing. Maybe even have kids under 12 years old get in free with an adult. Something needs to be done before the weekend to get get people to go otherwise we will never be accorded another international event to host.

Entry is free for the normal terraces after pres. scrapped sh 200 that was being charged.
hamburglar
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:56:27 PM

kimanimsc wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Entry is free for the normal terraces after pres. scrapped sh 200 that was being charged.

Why is the turnout so low then? Maybe word hasn't gone out enough. Am hoping weekend will be packed. So far it's been embarassingly empty.
Lolest!
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:31:24 PM

hamburglar wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Why is the turnout so low then? Maybe word hasn't gone out enough. Am hoping weekend will be packed. So far it's been embarassingly empty.

We're working... Though you'd ask then how come politicians always have crowds?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hamburglar
#12 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 9:18:18 AM

Lolest! wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

We're working... Though you'd ask then how come politicians always have crowds?

Hehehe. True. Kenyans and useless politicians. Bure kabisa. But evening events being staged after 4pm to like 8pm. People can at least make it around 6ish for some evening events. I just feel like it was not "advertised" well enough. Even track and field enthusiasts like myself didn't know it was free. I was already budgeting at least 1k gate fee. Lol. Am going with my buddy and he has no idea it's free either. Won't tell him, will just wait for him to be pleasantly surprised. I think word should go out and let as many people as possible know it's free. We need a huge turnout, this thing is being broadcast around the world. We don't need such embarrassments.

Alternatively, we could build a new state of the art stadium that accommodates fewer fans. Something like 20k fans. It can be used for other activities but the main purpose would be for track and field events. That number would be easier to fill up than the mammoth kasarani. Then we can at least save face when we host an event. I know we can easily get 20k fans to watch our athletes kick ass.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#13 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 11:08:14 AM

This event is historically staged infront of empty stadiums anywhere in the world.

But hata kama, why couldn't those idling kenyans who attend all political rallies go for the event for a change.

I expect full house for Saturday and Sunday, I hope they are charging coz otherwise they will not manage the crowds
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
madollar
#14 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 11:15:21 AM

hamburglar wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Safari sevens has also faced attendance issues since it moved to kasarani.Nyayo stadium was full to the brim when it held the Africa athletics championships a few years back given the schedule is similar working day,morning events and late afternoon events then it must be the venue.
Alba
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 4:50:17 AM

Nairobians don't like athletics. Nairobians will not pay to watch an athletics event. Even the African championships of 2010 could not draw crowds until the waived the paltry gate charges.

Even in Europe where athletics is very very popular, it is impossible to fill a 60,000 seat stadium for a U18 event. It is difficult even for a senior event.

Kenya's best hope for good crowds would have been to take this event to Eldoret. But I don't think IAAF would sanction such a venue.

Holding this event in a city as big as Nairobi is a blunder. This event is typically hosted in smaller cities, never in the main city of any country. People in smaller cities who have fewer entertainment options are more likely to attend.

Personally I was completely against hosting this event. The money spent would have been better spent developing grassroots sports.
hamburglar
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:04:37 PM

We spoke too soon. Kasarani is packed. Maybe the trick is free entry for everybody.
hardwood
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:18:42 PM

hamburglar wrote:
We spoke too soon. Kasarani is packed. Maybe the trick is free entry for everybody.

On weekdays people are busy kwa job.
freiks
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:48:09 PM

Tomorrow is a family day and already i have heard a few saying it will be their day at kasarani, naona kesho ikiwa full house
Life is an endless adventure
madollar
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:53:08 PM

1500M women tactical race by the Ethiopians they take 1-2 .Enjoying the show hapa kasa which can rival any IAAF event anywhere in the world.
madollar
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:55:40 PM

madollar wrote:
South africa looking good in the sprints already bagged 100M gold and silver despite a future usain bolt in the field going by the name Wilson.

The southafricans are having a good show .Grab both women and mens 110 hurdles.