wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Prado consumption of 4 litre and 2.7litre
heri
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 02, 2017 6:01:04 PM

Anyone who knows how the prado 4 litre engine compares with the 2.7litre in petrol consumption. Especially for town running
Chaka
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 02, 2017 9:57:20 PM

See if this helps..

http://www.fuelly.com/
heri wrote:
Anyone who knows how the prado 4 litre engine compares with the 2.7litre in petrol consumption. Especially for town running

sparkly
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 04, 2017 7:58:52 AM

heri wrote:

These cars are not made for town running my fren
Life is short. Live passionately.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 04, 2017 10:27:07 AM

heri wrote:

The 2.7 Litre petrol version is fairly thirsty (I know coz I own one). I can assure you the 4 litre one is really...really thirsty.

Having said that, I never get the logic in someone asking about a car's consumption before buying, reliability, power, handling, and other aesthetics etc I can understand, but fuel consumption should not be a debating point beyond diesel/petrol choice. If you ask about consumption, you probably should be looking at lower cc modelssmile smile
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Chaka
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 04, 2017 8:16:39 PM

The way the query has been put is like the person could buy the 4L,if the consumption is not very far from the 2,7L..?
Obi 1 Kanob wrote:

Having said that, I never get the logic in someone asking about a car's consumption before buying, reliability, power, handling, and other aesthetics etc I can understand, but fuel consumption should not be a debating point beyond diesel/petrol choice. If you ask about consumption, you probably should be looking at lower cc modelssmile smile

hardwood
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 04, 2017 9:09:55 PM

heri
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 11:52:12 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
heri wrote:

The 2.7 Litre petrol version is fairly thirsty (I know coz I own one). I can assure you the 4 litre one is really...really thirsty.

Do not be too hard on me bwana.

What is your experience on the 2.7litre petrol version. on average how many kms per litre?

I want to buy a 2.7litre but might go for 4 litre version but i still want to know how much it will cost me to use the car.
mkenyan
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 1:35:11 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
heri wrote:

have heard this several times and i do wonder where it comes from. i imagine it comes from the social climbers who have finally made it in life and tend to mistake others who may want cars for specific genuine usage to be like them - those buying for the image.
KulaRaha
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 1:56:26 PM

It's a valid question, no matter what your status. I had the 3.4L petrol and it was fairly thirsty, but affordable for me and well powered.

Now I have a bigger engine, and this new one is really thirsty...
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
quicksand
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 2:45:09 PM

heri wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
heri wrote:

What is your experience on the 2.7litre petrol version. on average how many kms per litre?

I want to buy a 2.7litre but might go for 4 litre version but i still want to know how much it will cost me to use the car.

Can I ask why you prefer the Petrol to Diesel?
hardwood
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 3:48:54 PM

quicksand wrote:
heri wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
heri wrote:

Can I ask why you prefer the Petrol to Diesel?

Good question since i thought larger engines run better on diesel.
mkenyan
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 9:36:07 AM

KulaRaha wrote:
It's a valid question, no matter what your status. I had the 3.4L petrol and it was fairly thirsty, but affordable for me and well powered.

Now I have a bigger engine, and this new one is really thirsty...

i agree with you that it is a valid question. it is those who dismiss the question with ' if you ask about consumption, you probably should be looking at lower cc models' like above that i disagree with. it comes across as a condescending attitude you mostly find on wanabees.
Swenani
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 10:20:35 AM

Chaka wrote:
The way the query has been put is like the person could buy the 4L,if the consumption is not very far from the 2,7L..?
Obi 1 Kanob wrote:

That's my understanding but again even in class 8, we all scored different marks in comprehension.

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Obi 1 Kanobi
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 3:17:13 PM

Swenani wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Obi 1 Kanob wrote:

That's my understanding but again even in class 8, we all scored different marks in comprehension.

I think @Chaka and Swenani you are correct. He probably meant exactly the way you put it.

I apologize if I came across as condescending, the two questions I don't like about cars are consumption and resale value. Just pet hatessmile smile

OK my friend has a 4.0 litre petrol and that's why I know its very thirsty. It's however very powerful and enjoyable to drive compared to the 2.7L. Especially for town running the consumption for 4.0L will be almost 1.5 times the 2.7L

Previously I had a 3.0 Lt diesel, it was more powerful than the 2.7L, coz it has turbo (Petrol don't have Turbo), and consumed less than the 2.7L, but the engine issues were just too many, the petrol engine is practically bullet proof. In all fairness, it could be that it was also older.

If I were to buy newish age (3 yrs), low milieage Prado, I would probably prefer the diesel engine first, covers both power and consumption.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
heri
#15 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 8:08:28 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Obi 1 Kanob wrote:

I think @Chaka and Swenani you are correct. He probably meant exactly the way you put it.

I apologize if I came across as condescending, the two questions I don't like about cars are consumption and resale value. Just pet hatessmile smile

OK my friend has a 4.0 litre petrol and that's why I know its very thirsty. It's however very powerful and enjoyable to drive compared to the 2.7L. Especially for town running the consumption for 4.0L will be almost 1.5 times the 2.7L

Previously I had a 3.0 Lt diesel, it was more powerful than the 2.7L, coz it has turbo (Petrol don't have Turbo), and consumed less than the 2.7L, but the engine issues were just too many, the petrol engine is practically bullet proof. In all fairness, it could be that it was also older.

If I were to buy newish age (3 yrs), low milieage Prado, I would probably prefer the diesel engine first, covers both power and consumption.

Thanks for the info
Intelligentsia
#16 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 12:32:47 PM

@Heri, thanks for bringing this up, what a coincidence I am exactly in the same predicament!

The Prado range is complex with funny models like VX-L,TX,TZ, Kakadu,etc

For ease of comparison, lets compare the GRJ150 (4L) and TRJ150 (2.7L) models, both of same year. Avrg figures would be as follows:

2.7L
About 10.5km/h Town driving
about 11.76km/l Highway driving

4L
6-7Km/l careful city driving with light foot
7-8Km/l highway driving

Of course fuel consumption is influenced by many factors.

@Obi, if I recall you had the old J80 Prado, which it wouldnt do justice to compare with its younger GRJ and TRJ models.

tnai9
#17 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 3:18:04 PM

Intelligentsia wrote:

2.7L
About 10.5km/h Town drivingd'oh! d'oh!

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
heri
#18 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 4:08:38 PM

Intelligentsia wrote:
@Heri, thanks for bringing this up, what a coincidence I am exactly in the same predicament!

For ease of comparison, lets compare the GRJ150 (4L) and TRJ150 (2.7L) models, both of same year. Avrg figures would be as follows:

2.7L

4L
7-8Km/l highway driving

@Obi, if I recall you had the old J80 Prado, which it wouldnt do justice to compare with its younger GRJ and TRJ models.

I was told the 4Litre one can do better than the 2.7L on highway. Could just be someone's opinion. I do not know

And i also heard that for the 2.7L you can feel like its underpowered

Obi 1 Kanobi
#19 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 5:19:43 PM

heri wrote:
Intelligentsia wrote:

2.7L

4L
7-8Km/l highway driving

I was told the 4Litre one can do better than the 2.7L on highway. Could just be someone's opinion. I do not know

And i also heard that for the 2.7L you can feel like its underpowered

@Intelligentsia, it was a J95, diesel which I was describing above as needing many visits to the mech, but its consumption was still better than the 2.7Lt that I replaced it with.

@Heri, the 4Lt is equally thirsty on the highway compared to the 2.7Lt. It doesn't help that its added power means more consumption.
Chaka
#20 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 6:55:00 PM

Were you dealing with engine issues here?

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

@Intelligentsia, it was a J95, diesel which I was describing above as needing many visits to the mech, but its consumption was still better than the 2.7Lt that I replaced it with.

[/quote]