wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages«<56789>
IEBC: Wavinya Ndeti out
Ngalaka
#121 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:53:31 PM

In his ruling the Judge offered that there are grounds enough to bar Wavinya from running, but he chose not to venture there, restricting himself to the grounds which IEBC had cited in nullifying her candidature.
Link
Quote:
“The court has found that other issues raised as the basis for justification of the committee’s verdict were not grounds upon which IEBC made its decision,” he said.
“It may well be that had the committee based its decision on the issues raised before me, a different outcome might have been reached.”

That means in a substantive hearing of the issues, ably prosecuted, Wavinya is likely to be barred.
We know not if the court of appeal will also restrict itself as Judge Odunga did, or it will opt to interrogate the real issues in order to mete out justice substantively as opposed to technical circumventions, which are unduly preferred and pursued more than anything else by litigants who have something to hide.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
kayhara
#122 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:06:13 PM

Sorry for the intrusion, does anyone know the outcome of the Susan Kihika case? I see the women seen as a threat by men are facing hard time ie Waiguru, Kihika and Ndeti
To Each His Own
hardwood
#123 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:12:46 PM

kayhara wrote:
Sorry for the intrusion, does anyone know the outcome of the Susan Kihika case? I see the women seen as a threat by men are facing hard time ie Waiguru, Kihika and Ndeti

Justice Odunga ruled that she (Kihika) can vie.
Angelica _ann
#124 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:22:44 PM

hardwood wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Justice Odinga ruled that she (Kihika) can vie.

In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Wakanyugi
#125 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:21:17 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Justice Odinga ruled that she (Kihika) can vie.

I have followed the fate of aspiring women leaders for five years now and I no longer think it is a coincidence that practically all of them are targeted at some point by a hostile system. While I agree with Nkaissery that women have to be much tougher than men just to make progress in a male dominated field, I think this is not enough. I hope one of our new MP's will be brave enough to propose a 'Protection of Women in Leadership" law that will, for instance punish the openly misogynistic behavior that we are seeing now.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
mkenyan
#126 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:30:23 PM

Ngalaka wrote:
In his ruling the Judge offered that there are grounds enough to bar Wavinya from running, but he chose not to venture there, restricting himself to the grounds which IEBC had cited in nullifying her candidature.
Link
Quote:
“The court has found that other issues raised as the basis for justification of the committee’s verdict were not grounds upon which IEBC made its decision,” he said.
“It may well be that had the committee based its decision on the issues raised before me, a different outcome might have been reached.”

That means in a substantive hearing of the issues, ably prosecuted, Wavinya is likely to be barred.
We know not if the court of appeal will also restrict itself as Judge Odunga did, or it will opt to interrogate the real issues in order to mete out justice substantively as opposed to technical circumventions, which are unduly preferred and pursued more than anything else by litigants who have something to hide.

he seems to be saying this:

1. committee barred wavinya;
2. wavinya appealed to the court against the decision of the committee to bar her;
3. when the matter was before the judge new issues were raised on why wavinya should be barred;
4. these issues were new in that they were not the basis (and were probably not raised before the committee) of the committee's decision;
5. the matter before the court and judge was not the eligibility of wavinya to participate in the elections but whether the committee's decision was legal and should stand;
6. due to the foregoing it was not up to the court/judge to entertain new grounds on her eligibility or otherwise but it/he had to restrict itself to the matter before it/him - the decision of the committee.

any appeal will most likely agree with the judge.

note - the different outcome statement by the judge doesn't mean much. courts usually use them merely to stress the point that they have not considered such issues in their decisions.
Gathige
#127 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:26:47 PM

Looks like the MCA who filed the case and his financiers just want to keep wavinya busy in court rather than campaigning.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Ngalaka
#128 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:34:00 PM

mkenyan wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

2. wavinya appealed to the court against the decision of the committee to bar her;
3. when the matter was before the judge new issues were raised on why wavinya should be barred;
4. these issues were new in that they were not the basis (and were probably not raised before the committee) of the committee's decision;
5. the matter before the court and judge was not the eligibility of wavinya to participate in the elections but whether the committee's decision was legal and should stand;
6. due to the foregoing it was not up to the court/judge to entertain new grounds on her eligibility or otherwise but it/he had to restrict itself to the matter before it/him - the decision of the committee.

note - the different outcome statement by the judge doesn't mean much. courts usually use them merely to stress the point that they have not considered such issues in their decisions.

You and I are basically saying the same thing.
However as concerns the said new issues, one can never tell for sure how another court will consider/treat them.
A conservative judge would rule the way Odunga did, and that's perfectly lawful, but a liberal judge may want to get to the real issues sorrounding the matter in order to dispense real justice.

Both Judges will be within their legal gamut.

While at it, consider that the party going to court of appeal is the MCA guy with Muthama in the shadowsLaughing out loudly
How the appellant will argue his case may also be key!
murchr
#129 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:40:58 PM

Ngalaka wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

However as concerns the said new issues, one can never tell for sure how another court will consider/treat them.
A conservative judge would rule the way Odunga did, and that's perfectly lawful, but a liberal judge may want to get to the real issues sorrounding the matter in order to dispense real justice.

While at it, consider that the party going to court of appeal is the MCA guy with Muthama in the shadowsLaughing out loudly

He's been very silent and the speed at which he filed this case shows that indeed he expected this ruling.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
mkenyan
#130 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:52:23 PM

Ngalaka wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

i agree. and i imagine that the mca (or proxy) is best forgetting the appeal and filing a petition before the high court raising all those issues that were not dealt with by the judge. based on what was shared by murchr earlier in this thread (those may probably have been the 'new' issues), there are lots of messy stuff in this matter to possibly lock her out.
maka
#131 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:35:10 PM

Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

Ummmh Boss...CA only restricts itself to matters of law.It cannot start interrogating new evidence. If IEBC did not rely on the grounds you are claiming its their fault not the judges'
Plus Res Judicata has kicked in....Think
possunt quia posse videntur
murchr
#132 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:15:03 PM

maka wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

Ummmh Boss...CA only restricts itself to matters of law.It cannot start interrogating new evidence. If IEBC did not rely on the grounds you are claiming its their fault not the judges'

Kinda like "Yaliyo ndwele sipite"
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ngalaka
#133 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:31:12 PM

maka wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

At no point did I say Judge Odunga is at fault.

At that court of appeal, the appellant might argue that he presented all evidence and argued his case citing all dimensions of it, but IEBC chose to rely and or only cite a narrow and limited spectrum of his argument in their ruling. As such IEBC’s deficiencies shouldn’t subject him to suffering inequity as well as cause a general miscarriage of justice.
If that be so, the matter of “Plus Res Judicata” does not arise at all.
In any case such matters are considered differently by different judges.
hardwood
#134 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:02:08 PM

How can anyone in their right mind support this kind of electoral theft aka rigging????? How do you put such thieves into power????? @maka you should be ashamed of yourself.

http://nairobiwire.com/2...tis-inflated-votes.html

https://streamable.com/0nwpz

Bigchick
#135 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:03:08 PM

murchr wrote:
maka wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I heard that one.And I remembered beginning of Ramadhan she sent IDD MUBARAK instead of Ramadhan Kareem.She must have scored a D plain this one.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
murchr
#136 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:22:31 PM

Bigchick wrote:
murchr wrote:
maka wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

I heard that one.And I remembered beginning of Ramadhan she sent IDD MUBARAK instead of Ramadhan Kareem.She must have scored a D plain this one.

She really got me confused yesterday. And the confidence she had while saying that....d'oh! I had to consult further. Waa! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
maka
#137 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:52:41 PM

murchr wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
murchr wrote:
maka wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

She really got me confused yesterday. And the confidence she had while saying that....d'oh! I had to consult further. Waa! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

d'oh! d'oh!

possunt quia posse videntur
Mtublack
#138 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 9:44:42 AM

maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
murchr wrote:
maka wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Link
Quote:

d'oh! d'oh!

one last time language a mean of communication and not a measure of intelligence
Some you win some you lose
gk
#139 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:21:24 PM

She could very well become the most prominent Kamba politician in the next 5 yrs.

Consider this:
Jubilee wins but Sonko loses.

It will also mean that there'll be no Kamba politician at the national space sinxe the Nairobi gvnor is like a national leader.
newfarer
#140 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 11:16:23 AM

yaliyo ndwele sipite

http://www.nation.co.ke/...14512-epfgev/index.html

Mutua should be a worried man. we might just have the first woman governor. any way Machakos is blessed to have these 2 performers
punda amecheka