wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
Mexican Ugali...
Kusadikika
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:03:15 AM

Has anyone tasted Ugali from this Mexican maize?

How is it?

I am asking because I just heard that the maize was ordered from Mexico one year ago and has been in storage in South Africa until it was brought in. The government insists that it is still "fresh" maize but I would like to hear from those who have eaten it.

After writing this I just realized it may not be easy to tell because I do not think millers are required to identify the source of the unga in the packet. (I think they should.)

There was a long time when we had the same importation but then it was easy to tell the foreign unga because it was yellow but this Mexican one is white so you can't tell by colour so unless there is a taste difference we will not be able to tell.
masukuma
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:11:28 AM

side note... Maize is actually from Mexico!! Natively!!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
newfarer
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:17:19 AM

FRM2011
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:12:54 AM

Borrowed from Wahome Thuku (FB).

""YOU start a maize irrigation scheme, pump in billions of shillings only to harvest 2 bags per acre.
YOU then create a shortage of the precious grain and decide to ship in corn from Mexico, masquerading as private miller.
Just as the ship is about to dock in, you move Parliament to remove maize import duty, making super profits.
You then dispatch the CS to receive the consignment as if its launching the best innovation on earth.
With such privilege and performance, anyone would seek a second term to do it all over again."
washiku
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:45:09 AM

FRM2011 wrote:

""YOU start a maize irrigation scheme, pump in billions of shillings only to harvest 2 bags per acre.
YOU then create a shortage of the precious grain and decide to ship in corn from Mexico, masquerading as private miller.
Just as the ship is about to dock in, you move Parliament to remove maize import duty, making super profits.
You then dispatch the CS to receive the consignment as if its launching the best innovation on earth.
With such privilege and performance, anyone would seek a second term to do it all over again."

Confirmed.
majimaji
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:10:32 AM

Kusadikika wrote:

How is it?

I am asking because I just heard that the maize was ordered from Mexico one year ago and has been in storage in South Africa until it was brought in. The government insists that it is still "fresh" maize but I would like to hear from those who have eaten it.

After writing this I just realized it may not be easy to tell because I do not think millers are required to identify the source of the unga in the packet. (I think they should.)

There was a long time when we had the same importation but then it was easy to tell the foreign unga because it was yellow but this Mexican one is white so you can't tell by colour so unless there is a taste difference we will not be able to tell.

Ugali ni ugali, unless you are not hungrysmile
Swenani
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:29:11 AM

I heard a CS say on news yesterdaythat smart investors send big ships with maize to Indian ocean hoping for customers to buy.

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Bigchick
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:50:12 AM

Swenani wrote:
I heard a CS say on news yesterdaythat smart investors send big ships with maize to Indian ocean hoping for customers to buy.

That us true.That is how commodity dealers trade.They are able yo deliver on short notice.

That is not to say this deal is clean.Someonw is playing us and is being protected by higher powers.

Sadly I will still vote for Uhuruto for lack of otherwise.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
hardwood
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:29:20 AM

Bigchick wrote:
Swenani wrote:

That us true.That is how commodity dealers trade.They are able yo deliver on short notice.

That is not to say this deal is clean.Someonw is playing us and is being protected by higher powers.

Sadly I will still vote for Uhuruto for lack of otherwise.

The maize was imported by maize millers i.e. Pembe maize millers and Kitui maize millers. So what is the problem? Where is the scandal? This is like blaming Total Oil company for importing oil.
sitaki.kujulikana
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:30:48 AM

washiku wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Confirmed.

with all the issues around the deal, I can understand its 'fishy' and we are messed up since its parliament that enabled it in some way. But how was the shortage created, I mean what did this 'YOU' do last year that had not been done before to create the shortage
hardwood
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:34:11 AM

Swenani wrote:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWUGtGvzGw/YOUTUBE]

Even hawkers move around the streets with their wares looking for customers. In the estates we see proboxes full of cabbages and eggs moving around looking for customers. Shida iko wapi when ships do the same. Biachara ni biachara.
hardwood
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:37:20 AM

Kusadikika wrote:

How is it?

The maize released by NCPB to millers is sometimes 3yrs old. And now you are fearing 1yr maize. Even farmers store their maize until the next harvest when they dispose off the maize and replenish their stores, meaning we are always eating 1yr plus old maize.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:48:30 AM

hardwood wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:

How is it?

The maize released by NCPB to millers is sometimes 3yrs old. And now you are fearing 1yr maize. Even farmers store their maize until the next harvest when they dispose off the maize and replenish their stores, meaning we are always eating 1yr plus old maize.

@Hardwood, If this govt served us poop, I bet you would happily argue that beatles eat poop every time.

By the way, I hope you atleast benefit somehow from all this scandals you defend.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
hardwood
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:09:31 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:

How is it?

@Hardwood, If this govt served us poop, I bet you would happily argue that beatles eat poop every time.

By the way, I hope you atleast benefit somehow from all this scandals you defend.

What scandal is there? Maize millers Pembe flour mills and kitui flour mills import maize because of reduced stocks in kenya. Shida iko wapi they are in the milling business. You can boycott their unga if you are unhappy with the importation.
holycow
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:13:49 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

How i wish Wazua had a like button or an equivalent. Touche!
hardwood
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:20:47 PM

holycow wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

How i wish Wazua had a like button or an equivalent. Touche!

Local maize traders aka middlemen always buy maize during the harvest season cheaply (1800 bob) huko north rift and elsewhere and store the maize awaiting to offload the same into the market during the period of scarcity when prices are good (4500 bob like now). Pembe and Kitui millers are also in the maize business and bought maize cheaply from mexico and stored and will now offload to the market. They had done their research and planned ahead to remain in business. So where is the problem? We all know there is always maize scarcity before harvesting begins and we import using panya routes from uganda and tanzania.
hardwood
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:41:39 PM

The way kenyans are complaining about this maize thing one would think the world is about to end. Fact is that 90% of kenyans live in rural areas and grow and eat their own maize. Of the other 10% urban dwellers, 70% of them live in slums and buy maize which they siaga kwa posho mills in towns. Even a health conscious middle class guy like me normally gets maize from my mother in the village and siaga, i never take hiyo ya supermarket. So this maize crisis is a crisis that never was. Just politics. I have seen they are circulating pictures of Hostess flour costing 180 bob to show how expensive unga has become and we all know that Hostess is a premium unga brand that has always been sold at over 150 bob even when other unga was 80 bob. It's all politics and lies by the usual suspects. #Propaganda #Mnyambo_Wa_Punda
KulaRaha
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:54:46 PM

hardwood wrote:
So this maize crisis is a crisis that never was. It's all politics and lies by the usual suspects. #Propaganda #Mnyambo_Wa_Punda

I think Safcom has special offers on bundles.....527/= seems to go a long way!
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
hardwood
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:55:57 PM

We have always imported maize I dont know why all the hullabaloo now. Flashback 2015:

http://www.the-star.co.k...eldoret-market_c1204465

Quote:
Cheap Uganda maize floods Eldoret market

MORE than two million bags of maize from Uganda have been imported into the country in three weeks.

Grain growers say the imports will hurt farmers, who are about to start harvesting.

Paul Tanui from the association on Friday said the imports are expected to increase to more than five million by the end of this month.

The imported maize sells at Sh2,000 per bag.

Trans Nzoia Governor Patrick Khaemba said: “If we only depend on maize, our economy will collapse.”

He spoke at the launch of the Trans-Counties Sacco Society on Friday at Kapsara market, Cherangany.

Khaemba was with Cheranganyi MP Wesley Korir, who said the imports will hurt local farmers.
hardwood
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:10:06 PM