wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Is Kenyan music dying?
Alba
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:39:06 PM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I see that masukuma never gets tired of his old photoshop jokes.
No new ideas?
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:57:05 PM

masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:
Kenya's biggest problem affecting the youth in the current market is what I call the illusion of being Mark Zuckerberg. All the youth I know btwn 20 - 24 are in IT...

it's a GOOD THING!! Wacha wajaribu hizo vitu zikipiga mawe - they will still have skills!! The one thing we as kenyans in africa are accepted to be great at (except athletics is IT). Whether those honours are justified or not is a totally different matter. Just today one of my Mzungu collegues who has worked in the development world said - You kenyans are like the 'Indians' of Africa. when it comes to IT. I suggest we milk it. Bulgerians and Russians maybe better at comps but india is reaping the most out of this whole thing... perception is greater than reality!

By the way, how did Bulgarians become so good in IT? I've always wondered...

I don't really know... but cultures are funny... where you have most of your people going... you tend to get great at it! there is really no reason Tanzania cannot win a single gold medal at the olympics... really! but since they don't expend their resources in a targeted way - they don't become 'great'! My take on IT is that having many people doing it... will not have a negative consequence on our economy... since it's very versatile skill and at the same time very needed in this age - it's a win-win solution.

Very interesting outlook. You have managed to convince me. I still think we need to mitigate our youths' expectations on IT so that they know how to diversify even if it is within the IT sector.

BBI will solve it
:)
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:10:40 PM

murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:
Kenya's biggest problem affecting the youth in the current market is what I call the illusion of being Mark Zuckerberg. All the youth I know btwn 20 - 24 are in IT...

it's a GOOD THING!! Wacha wajaribu hizo vitu zikipiga mawe - they will still have skills!! The one thing we as kenyans in africa are accepted to be great at (except athletics is IT). Whether those honours are justified or not is a totally different matter. Just today one of my Mzungu collegues who has worked in the development world said - You kenyans are like the 'Indians' of Africa. when it comes to IT. I suggest we milk it. Bulgerians and Russians maybe better at comps but india is reaping the most out of this whole thing... perception is greater than reality!

Are you an accountant @2012?

@murchr, no I'm not an accountant, I'm a marketer in future trend, we research on future marketing needs and trends and advice clients where they need to spend and where they need to cut or get out completely. I can tell you sports and music are not doing well and you'll see sponsorship going down in those areas unless a miracles happens. Social media is high and video bloggers will see good fortunes in the near future so if you are a creator of video blogs, youtube, vimeo, you'll do better than writing bloggers.

BBI will solve it
murchr
#24 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 9:14:30 PM

2012 wrote:
murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:

@murchr, no I'm not an accountant, I'm a marketer in future trend, we research on future marketing needs and trends and advice clients where they need to spend and where they need to cut or get out completely. I can tell you sports and music are not doing well and you'll see sponsorship going down in those areas unless a miracles happens. Social media is high and video bloggers will see good fortunes in the near future so if you are a creator of video blogs, youtube, vimeo, you'll do better than writing bloggers.

Your earlier statement contradicts you.

Quote:
Kenya's biggest problem affecting the youth in the current market is what I call the illusion of being Mark Zuckerberg. All the youth I know btwn 20 - 24 are in IT

Youtube vimeo are not the future they are the now, it is imperative that the youth invest their time in creating the future. The next big thing.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 9:51:40 PM

murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:

Quote:
Kenya's biggest problem affecting the youth in the current market is what I call the illusion of being Mark Zuckerberg. All the youth I know btwn 20 - 24 are in IT

Youtube vimeo are not the future they are the now, it is imperative that the youth invest their time in creating the future. The next big thing.

No contradiction at all. If you are familiar with this space, then you know that less than 1% make it there. It's brutal. But also by illusion, I was referring to other disciplines too like software and apps development.

On youtube and vimeos, they are 'now' in the world but the corporates here have not gotten into it as they haven't realised how this can add value into their brands. They are still putting their money on copy bloggers. Video blogging is still not there yet, they are also not getting the hits yet.

BBI will solve it
masukuma
#26 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 12:00:45 AM

Alba wrote:
No new ideas?

All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
murchr
#27 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 12:20:17 AM

2012 wrote:
murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:

Quote:

No contradiction at all. If you are familiar with this space, then you know that less than 1% make it there. It's brutal. But also by illusion, I was referring to other disciplines too like software and apps development.

On youtube and vimeos, they are 'now' in the world but the corporates here have not gotten into it as they haven't realised how this can add value into their brands. They are still putting their money on copy bloggers. Video blogging is still not there yet, they are also not getting the hits yet.

Youtube is an app, facebook is an app. To corporates youtube facebook, twitter, vimeo, snapchat, instagram is a flat-form to showcase what they have to offer. The youth as you call them can in the best have a page...most do. Your page does not give any value to you if it is not bringing business to you. If you have been seriously watching the trends, advertising is moving from companies like yours to people with enough followers like celebrities (Mutoko, thisisess, joy kendi, Msalame, Janet Mbugua, IdrisSultan etc), and the only way a company would approach anyone (youths) to brand their stuff(marketing influencers is the term they are called) is if you have an audience (followers, likers) and palatable content.

The other bunch in this information world of automation, can only be absorbed by IT professions(analysts, auditors, creators, dbwarehousing, miners etc), . You know those apps collect data which can best tell the trends, and guess what, data is a commodity. Thats why every company is turning to Mark zuckerburg because he has captured the concept of target marketing very well.

Am not suprised that the corporates are no longer into our musicians, what content do they offer anyway?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Lolest!
#28 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 10:53:25 AM

masukuma wrote:
Alba wrote:
No new ideas?

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Alba
#29 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:14:22 PM

masukuma wrote:
Alba wrote:
No new ideas?

OK
I will leave you in your playpen with your toys
#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:02:21 PM

Stellah

Today is May 17, and the name Stellah is, once again, on the lips of Kenyans.

About 30 years ago, a young man fell in love with a young girl who was then a student at Kenyatta University.

SHOCK

That young man was named Freshley Mwamburi, and his love was a bright, ambitious girl named Stellah.

He came from Taita, she came from Kangundo.

The relationship took off well, with the two enjoying the little trappings of youth and, every now and then, riding around town in Mwamburi’s aging car.

But, just as he was considering settling down for an enchanting life with the girl of his dreams, Mwamburi got the shock of his life when, in the early 1990s, Stellah ditched him for another man.

And then, one day, Stellah informed Mwamburi that she had received a scholarship to study in Japan.

Stellah came from a poor family and could neither raise the fare to Japan nor the money for upkeep.

Mwamburi, seeing a chance to prove his love, and riding on the naïve promises made in the midst of the madness of youthful romance, decided to step in and prove his worth.

He sold his car and a few personal belongings and gave the money to her to travel abroad.

Stella travelled to Japan, from where she kept Mwamburi well apprised of her progress via mail.

But the regularity of the communication soon became an agonising trickle.

Stellah would, much later, confess to Mwamburi that she had started dating her college principal, “a stout, short man.

On May 17, 1992, the day she was scheduled to return to the country, Mwamburi took a colourful entourage to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to receive her.

His heart, however, sunk to his knees when Stella, now married, approached him carrying a child from her relationship with her college head.

Heartbroken, he went to the studios and, together with his Everest Kings bandmate Abdul Muyonga, recorded the hit song "Stellah", released in 1995 as an album cover.

-----Now, this was great Kenyan music! Still relevant even today.

BBI will solve it
Swenani
#31 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:23:01 AM

Nyansinski is bringing back hope
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Fyatu
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:26:36 PM

alma1 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I am currently in that phase of life where 99% of the music I consume is african and I can tell... we cannot beat Naija when it comes to dancable tunes nor can we beat our kaka brazas when it comes to ballads and poetry. the problem with our music is that its done in a hurry, it's dirty and nasty... compare that with the same genre from our kaka brazas and you will be shocked! Singing about the same things but... it's not offensive

Masukuma I agree with you
Listening to kaka diamond for me is exciting. Dancing to kaka diamond means that you have an easy pussy.

That to me does not equate to the death or life of Kenyan art...

Kenyan art is what it is...

If it means that you with a manyanga for 100 bob while other means of manyangas are 70 bob...That's art...

I mean kaka masukuma

Have you ever gone to a swahili pub to listen to taarab?

I agree that diamond is a fantastic and a game changer musician...His ryhmes and that other ugly fella from Uganda are just out of this world...

Lakini I'm asking

Have either of you fellas gone to a taarab pub in Malinidi?

Where a fat, fat woman sings swahili ryhems?

Or is she too ugly to sell a record?

Is the problem her song or the producers and kameme dj yellow yellow feeling?

My friend...

I say again

I can and shall take you to places in Mombasa where people rhyme...And the rest of us wonder...Ukweli hapa Tusker ni 140?

Uliza kaka. Usilie. Na diamond sio.

I beg to point out the error in red. There is nothing like a Taarab pub or a swahili pub. Swahilis in general abhor bars and pombe. Taarab is dead in Kenya....There is no single Taarab musician in Kenya. As we speak Taarab is headquartered in Zanzibar and visiwa vya Ugunja na Pemba. Most live taarab music played in Kenya is from hired artists from Bongo,and is mostly played in swahili weddings(wealthy swahilis). Taarab itself is evolving. If you doubt me, go to youtube and search for Khadija Kopa a.k.a Malkia wa Mipasho feat Diamond and see what i mean. Nowadays the Taarab musicians are leaning towards modern Tanzania "pop'(if you allow me to call it that)music.I don't know whether its a good thing or a bad thing, but just as Benjamin Franklin, i have decided not to worry about things that are out of my control. However, i am surprised that you have not mentioned "Bango" music of the coastal people (mostly Mijikenda's and the freed slaves of Frere town Mombasa). The main artist here being Mzee Ngala Mwenye and his son Jimmy. But just as taarab, this is also evolving to appeal to the young generations. My friends from the mountain will attest that Kamaru songs are legendary and are still very relevant lyrically and rhythmically etc. Kwa kumalizia i leave with this taarab chune...i love it. I hope you like it too. If the link is broken just google Khadija Kopa "Fullstop"

Link
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
alma1
#33 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 4:34:45 AM

Fyatu wrote:
alma1 wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I am currently in that phase of life where 99% of the music I consume is african and I can tell... we cannot beat Naija when it comes to dancable tunes nor can we beat our kaka brazas when it comes to ballads and poetry. the problem with our music is that its done in a hurry, it's dirty and nasty... compare that with the same genre from our kaka brazas and you will be shocked! Singing about the same things but... it's not offensive

Masukuma I agree with you
Listening to kaka diamond for me is exciting. Dancing to kaka diamond means that you have an easy pussy.

That to me does not equate to the death or life of Kenyan art...

Kenyan art is what it is...

If it means that you with a manyanga for 100 bob while other means of manyangas are 70 bob...That's art...

I mean kaka masukuma

Have you ever gone to a swahili pub to listen to taarab?

I agree that diamond is a fantastic and a game changer musician...His ryhmes and that other ugly fella from Uganda are just out of this world...

Lakini I'm asking

Have either of you fellas gone to a taarab pub in Malinidi?

Where a fat, fat woman sings swahili ryhems?

Or is she too ugly to sell a record?

Is the problem her song or the producers and kameme dj yellow yellow feeling?

My friend...

I say again

I can and shall take you to places in Mombasa where people rhyme...And the rest of us wonder...Ukweli hapa Tusker ni 140?

Uliza kaka. Usilie. Na diamond sio.

I beg to point out the error in red. There is nothing like a Taarab pub or a swahili pub. Swahilis in general abhor bars and pombe. Taarab is dead in Kenya....There is no single Taarab musician in Kenya. As we speak Taarab is headquartered in Zanzibar and visiwa vya Ugunja na Pemba. Most live taarab music played in Kenya is from hired artists from Bongo,and is mostly played in swahili weddings(wealthy swahilis). Taarab itself is evolving. If you doubt me, go to youtube and search for Khadija Kopa a.k.a Malkia wa Mipasho feat Diamond and see what i mean. Nowadays the Taarab musicians are leaning towards modern Tanzania "pop'(if you allow me to call it that)music.I don't know whether its a good thing or a bad thing, but just as Benjamin Franklin, i have decided not to worry about things that are out of my control. However, i am surprised that you have not mentioned "Bango" music of the coastal people (mostly Mijikenda's and the freed slaves of Frere town Mombasa). The main artist here being Mzee Ngala Mwenye and his son Jimmy. But just as taarab, this is also evolving to appeal to the young generations. My friends from the mountain will attest that Kamaru songs are legendary and are still very relevant lyrically and rhythmically etc. Kwa kumalizia i leave with this taarab chune...i love it. I hope you like it too. If the link is broken just google Khadija Kopa "Fullstop"

Link

Wewe njoo nikuonyesha Swahili pub. Sio kusema mambo ya sijui abhorring. Kwanza what does that mean?

Like I said before Kenyan music is alive. Just not a capiro fm or maina kageni fm...

Njoo nikupeleke tafadhali...Kuna dada na kaka mambasani watakupotosha na maneno.

And they don't have Facebook or twirra. Njoo Fyatu, nikupeleke. Just because Kenyan producers are high on drugs doesn't mean their's no music.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

#34 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 11:13:50 AM

It's obvious that Kenyan music has improved and getting better by the day. My question is, is there money now in the music industry? Are Kenyans buying Kenyan music online or otherwise?

BBI will solve it
simonkabz
#35 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 1:02:28 PM

Meanwhile, Joseph Kamaru was recently hospitalized. He doesnt seem to be doing too well after a recent visit to his home in Thome....memory loss and all, but he still has with him the wisdom of a Gikuyu Elder.

I compare his timeless golden tunes in the lines of Bob Marley, full of catchy phrases and endless proverbs, some requiring interpretation by the older wazees.

Such quality music is now a hard find in today's Kenya. In the Gikuyu music scene though, there are a number of emerging youthful musicians but the content is mainly for pure entertainment and comic effect with zero message, the kind that fades away in a few short weeks.

Sample this one....the chorus is hilarious but it all ends there. Wapi guka asakate.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR4BWJugf6k
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!