wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Investing in the New York Stock Exchange as a Kenyan
S.Mutaga III
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:57:57 PM

Hello. How can I invest in the New York Stock Exchange while still in Kenya? Which is the cheapest and easiest way to go about it? I want to take investing as a full-time career, and I need exposure to at least 2 markets. I have narrowed down to our NSE and NYSE so that when there is a bear market here, I can have an alternative market and thousands of stocks to choose from. If any wazuan knows or invests in the NYSE while still in Kenya (online), shed some light. Thank you
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
ombaalbt
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:24:38 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Hello. How can I invest in the New York Stock Exchange while still in Kenya? Which is the cheapest and easiest way to go about it? I want to take investing as a full-time career, and I need exposure to at least 2 markets. I have narrowed down to our NSE and NYSE so that when there is a bear market here, I can have an alternative market and thousands of stocks to choose from. If any wazuan knows or invests in the NYSE while still in Kenya (online), shed some light. Thank you

I'd also like to have this info. Tried searching online but couldn't find anything substantive.
Learning to sit on my hands
Horton
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:23:50 PM

ombaalbt wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

So I used to deal with Tdameritrade and Fidelity and due to being Kenyan, they didnt let us trade anymore.

Interactive Brokers and Charles Schwab still open accounts with a minimum portfolio value/Opening cash balance of $25k

I'd also like to have this info. Tried searching online but couldn't find anything substantive.

Xymalos
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 2:17:45 AM

Horton wrote:
ombaalbt wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

So I used to deal with Tdameritrade and Fidelity and due to being Kenyan, they didnt let us trade anymore.

Interactive Brokers and Charles Schwab still open accounts with a minimum portfolio value/Opening cash balance of $25k

I think its difficulty to trade stocks in NYSE without a US social security number or a tax number (ITN). Because ultimately you have to file US tax returns to report your net profit/loss - which you cannot do without tax identification numbers.
obiero
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 6:05:54 AM

Xymalos wrote:
Horton wrote:
ombaalbt wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

I think its difficulty to trade stocks in NYSE without a US social security number or a tax number (ITN). Because ultimately you have to file US tax returns to report your net profit/loss - which you cannot do without tax identification numbers.

It's possible but only via a nominee account in one of the major investment banks, whereby Citi offers this in Kenya. Option two would be Black rock asset managers which offers an ETF, similar to a balanced fund. However, if taking a solo route, current share price of most notable NYSE stocks are out of the park.. Administratively, unless you have over $30,000 it may be a gain less effort

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
MugundaMan
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:59:29 AM

It's easy peasy. Just find a discount broker online that caters to foreign clients as well. I highly recommend TD Ameritrade. You don't need a SSN to do so, just your passport details. The million dollar question, however is, why are you hungering to invest in a sinking ship whose own corporations all left it loooong ago for the new super power on the block; China? Mainland America exports nothing but war and hollywood movies these days. They stopped building major highways well over 50 years ago! You should be thinking of investing in the Kings of the East instead.
Horton
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:47:13 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
It's easy peasy. Just find a discount broker online that caters to foreign clients as well. I highly recommend TD Ameritrade. You don't need a SSN to do so, just your passport details. The million dollar question, however is, why are you hungering to invest in a sinking ship whose own corporations all left it loooong ago for the new super power on the block; China? Mainland America exports nothing but war and hollywood movies these days. They stopped building major highways well over 50 years ago! You should be thinking of investing in the Kings of the East instead.

Thats no true. TD restricted my account and that of several of my friends as we are kenyans.
Ebenyo
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:07:35 AM

S.Mutaga III wrote:

You could still invest in our own NSE full time at first.Then when you are stronger enough,you can go to New york in person and stay their as a resident while investing in NYSE.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
MugundaMan
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:08:31 AM

Horton wrote:

Thats no true. TD restricted my account and that of several of my friends as we are kenyans.

Why so?
Did you file a W8-BEN when you opened your account?
Were you FATCA compliant?
There should be absolutely no good reason why a non-US person (non-citizen, non-PR or non-physical resident- illegal alien included) cannot open an account with TDA.
Warm regards
Horton
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:03:54 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Horton wrote:

Why so?
Did you file a W8-BEN when you opened your account?
Were you FATCA compliant?
There should be absolutely no good reason why a non-US person (non-citizen, non-PR or non-physical resident- illegal alien included) cannot open an account with TDA.
Warm regards

yep, all compliant, a friend even called them a month back....he also tried with fidelity when he went to Ohio and shwab too
MugundaMan
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:28:02 PM

Horton wrote:

yep, all compliant, a friend even called them a month back....he also tried with fidelity when he went to Ohio and shwab too

Super strange. What reason were you and your friend given for the denial of services? So many people around the world who are non-US persons are doing it as we speak.
Milefeyk
#12 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 10:08:55 AM

I also dont think that you will be able to trade on NYSE as physical entity. However, you should try to do it over a local broker. It would be feasible as broker company is legal entity and can conduct transactions with US based brokers. Last resource would be for you to open an offshore account