wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
Dropping Swahili as a Subject in Schools.
Rahatupu
#21 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 3:10:21 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Does anyone here believe that Kiswahili would die off from our streets, markets, bars and other public fora, if universally we taught it only up to class three!

And for heavens sake nobody has called for banishing of Kiswahili from our public square.

This is a call to unburden our kids in school with a subject that isn’t taking them nor the country anywhere – noting that whatever benefits we draw from Swahili language would not be any lesser if we didn’t teach it in school up to KCSE.

While at it, lets also unburden them by teaching maths to class 3 or 6 or upto where calculus checks in. How in the world does calculus help anyone other than it making maths difficult and ridiculous. (many people could argue for this, yet I am sure there's a good reason why its taught)

Word.
Rahatupu
#22 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 3:12:10 PM

Where is this destination that our children should be "taken" by subjects learned in school?
masukuma
#23 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:14:02 PM

Ngalaka wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I personally at this stage am very grateful that I did kiswahili! I love it! I didn't do well in school at it but I love it! it's such a dear language to me that when I travel and meet others and we start chatting in exclussive swa... it makes me high! exclusive swa! using words kama mjini, nyumbani... dropping misemo here and there... just lovely! I was on an interview juzi where I used words like "MFUMO MBADALA! sheria na Kanuni, michakato na taratibu..." I loved it!!

Most of us, and I guess that includes you, are also very proficient in our vernacular languages even though we didn't take them in school.
Heck our politicians are at their best when they switch to vernacular - the figures of speech, the connection....

Even watu wa mambasani who never went to school speak more appealing swahili to yours - while you probably got an "A" in the language.

The point is a language is not necessarily embraced because it is taught in school, - at what expense.

nope...i did not learn how to speak my language. you guys should really know how lucky you are to have a unifying language that is not a foreign language... MKO NA BAHATI!! TUACHE UJINGA!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Alba
#24 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:17:04 PM

Ngalakaa ngai. Ngalaka ngai likambo nasali yo nayebi tina te

You sound like someone who struggled mightily with Kiswahili in secondary school and it still gives you nightmares Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Kiswahili is a treasure. It did wonders in uniting the Tanzanian people. In fact not only should it be promoted in Kenya, it should be aggressively promoted abroad. And it starts by having people who can speak eloquently.

There are two Kiswahili dialect spoken in Somalia (Bajun and Bravanese), another one in Congo(Kingwana) and even as far south as Mozambique and Northern Zambia. This needs to be promoted and encouraged further through cultural exchanges, radio, TV, music etc.

In other words we need more people publicly speaking or singing fluently or eloquently.

If not for music, Kiswahili would be more widely spoken than Lingala in the Congo. Lingala became more popular because it was the language of music.
masukuma
#25 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:22:50 PM

I also think the only thing that keeps swahili fairly uniform is the fact that we learn it in school! we ruin it on our own ways when we get out of school but we all have a uniform starting place. That is why we even know how to read it! because it was taught to us in structured manner. when you don't learn how to write it and pronounce it the way you hear it - the language morphs very fast and soon
masukuma
#26 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:27:40 PM

Ngalaka wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
@Tycho thanks. @Ngalaka have you ever been abroad in non English speaking country? You try communicate in English and they ask you to speak your own language? Been in such scenario in Germany, Italy and Russia. Where is your pride?

Secondly, pride boss.....in our "Africaness" if not anything else. Why not make it the language of instruction for all subjects?

Now I know what Ngugi meant by urging in Decolonizing the Mind by reloading at our African languages. Kiswahili (not Swahili) is at the par with the so called international languages.

We have our "own" languages bwana - 42 of them. We speak them better than any other language we learnt in school - be it English or Swahili.

Tanzania has taken the route you suggest for us. where has it left them and their education system.
The number of Kenyan expatriates there tells it all.

speak for yourself... this is such an assumption that is negated by most of my agemates.
Lolest!
#27 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:37:57 PM

masukuma wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I personally at this stage am very grateful that I did kiswahili! I love it! I didn't do well in school at it but I love it! it's such a dear language to me that when I travel and meet others and we start chatting in exclussive swa... it makes me high! exclusive swa! using words kama mjini, nyumbani... dropping misemo here and there... just lovely! I was on an interview juzi where I used words like "MFUMO MBADALA! sheria na Kanuni, michakato na taratibu..." I loved it!!

Most of us, and I guess that includes you, are also very proficient in our vernacular languages even though we didn't take them in school.
Heck our politicians are at their best when they switch to vernacular - the figures of speech, the connection....

Even watu wa mambasani who never went to school speak more appealing swahili to yours - while you probably got an "A" in the language.

The point is a language is not necessarily embraced because it is taught in school, - at what expense.

nope...i did not learn how to speak my language. you guys should really know how lucky you are to have a unifying language that is not a foreign language... MKO NA BAHATI!! TUACHE UJINGA!

Nigerians, Zambians, South Africans use English as their national language, isn't it

But it's better when you have a language that is easier to learn(esp for Bantussmile ) and is ours

I think Rwanda wants to start teaching Kiswahili. Why should we be dropping it?

Kiswahili kitukuzwe!!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Ngalaka
#28 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:52:08 PM

Alba wrote:

You sound like someone who struggled mightily with Kiswahili in secondary school and it still gives you nightmares Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Kiswahili is a treasure. It did wonders in uniting the Tanzanian people. In fact not only should it be promoted in Kenya, it should be aggressively promoted abroad. And it starts by having people who can speak eloquently.

There are two Kiswahili dialect spoken in Somalia (Bajun and Bravanese), another one in Congo(Kingwana) and even as far south as Mozambique and Northern Zambia. This needs to be promoted and encouraged further through cultural exchanges, radio, TV, music etc.

In other words we need more people publicly speaking or singing fluently or eloquently.

If not for music, Kiswahili would be more widely spoken than Lingala in the Congo. Lingala became more popular because it was the language of music.

And no, its not about yours truly, its all about our education choices as a country.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
Ngalaka
#29 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 5:04:20 PM

masukuma wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
@Tycho thanks. @Ngalaka have you ever been abroad in non English speaking country? You try communicate in English and they ask you to speak your own language? Been in such scenario in Germany, Italy and Russia. Where is your pride?

Secondly, pride boss.....in our "Africaness" if not anything else. Why not make it the language of instruction for all subjects?

Now I know what Ngugi meant by urging in Decolonizing the Mind by reloading at our African languages. Kiswahili (not Swahili) is at the par with the so called international languages.

We have our "own" languages bwana - 42 of them. We speak them better than any other language we learnt in school - be it English or Swahili.

Tanzania has taken the route you suggest for us. where has it left them and their education system.

speak for yourself... this is such an assumption that is negated by most of my agemates.

Would you say in all honesty that, that statement is not a true reflection of an average Kenyan - not some exceptionals who are few and far between.
Ngalaka
#30 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 5:21:57 PM

Well identity – I have no issue with that, but how does that go away if we don’t teach it in school beyond class three.

Lets also examine the correlation between the Swahili we learn in School and the Swahili we speak in our common day to day life.

For illustration, think of a guy in Nakuru, Eldoret, Kitale, Voi, Malindi, Kericho or a guy you know personally that dropped in class five – is his Swahili any different from that of an average Kenyan around him - read you the schooled.
We can milk the sentimentality about identity as much as we wish, but reality on the ground is - for an average Kenyan graduate or form four leaver, their Swahili as used in day to day life is horrible at best, whereas their Kamba, bukusu Kikuyu, dholuo, Kimasai etc is flawless.

I bet we have all listened to our elite being interviewed life on radio or Television in Kiswahili - especially BBC – it comes off like torture to them – as a matter of fact a good part of their speech constitutes of English because of want of their Swahili.

It makes sense to unclog our education system of subjects that we really don’t need in the system – for it doesn’t serve us any less well even from outside of the system.

And lets be practical good people of Kenya, one can not in good conscience draw parallels between critical and integral linchpin of academics such as Maths and a contraption of a language that came into being not too long ago and is regarded as a second language by the vast majority of those who speak it.

The truth is, policy on which subject are to grace our schools is drawn by adults in Nairobi.

In my intro I suggested that those keen to pursue the subject have that opportunity open to them, but of course with counsel and guidance as to where they should expect to go with their fancy.

I agree sentimentality/pride is indeed a value, but how far are we willing to go with it vis a vis practicality and demands of todays trends in life.

As a third world economy what priorities do we wish to take!

sitaki.kujulikana
#31 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 5:28:26 PM

nakubaliana na @Ngalaka, I see no value in teaching kiswahili in school, do the americans even teach their kids english grammar in school ?
teaching it as a subject is just cumbersome, especially considering the same does not have any applications, business and official correspondence is done in english
Kusadikika
#32 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 5:49:47 PM

I think the problem is exactly the opposite of what Ngalaka is pointing out here. Many people in Kenya speak Kiswahili as their native language. It may not be their first but it flows more freely in conversations about everyday events. I would argue that Kiswahili is not taught enough so that more knowledge is not assimilated because being taught in English it is perceived as foreign and therefore not relevant to most people.

People live and think and feel in a language. I think it would be more beneficial to bring world knowledge into the language rather than ask people to leave their language so that they can acquire the knowledge. The Japanese and Chinese have brought science and technology into their language they did not learn another language in order to learn science and technology.
Ngalaka
#33 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 6:53:21 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
I think the problem is exactly the opposite of what Ngalaka is pointing out here. Many people in Kenya speak Kiswahili as their native language. It may not be their first but it flows more freely in conversations about everyday events. I would argue that Kiswahili is not taught enough so that more knowledge is not assimilated because being taught in English it is perceived as foreign and therefore not relevant to most people.

People live and think and feel in a language. I think it would be more beneficial to bring world knowledge into the language rather than ask people to leave their language so that they can acquire the knowledge. The Japanese and Chinese have brought science and technology into their language they did not learn another language in order to learn science and technology.

Are you prescribing more of the same!
Do you honestly believe it would serve us well if we were to make Swahili the medium of instruction in our schools - teach science, Maths in Swahili!

We have Tz down south for comparative analysis.

The very fact that the elite in Tanzania send their kids to Kenyan schools is testament to the realities of that option.

Chinese, Japanese are age old languages spoken by people who are themselves innovators with economies at the apex of the pyramid.
Lolest!
#34 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 9:35:43 PM

Ngalaka, actually the problem of us having bad Kiswahili is not unique to Kiswahili. We have a mix of languages and end up having a bit of each but not fluent in any.

Our English is laden with Kiswahili words and conversely our Kiswahili is like English. Si you jua what I'm saying?

And no, Kiswahili has ceased being a second language. It is the first language children speak across social classes. Those in deep rural areas are the only ones learning mother tongue first. Infact, I see local African languages dying with the preference by parents for Kiswahili.

I do not think there's any harm in learning more of this beautiful language. There's no joy in not knowing
sitaki.kujulikana
#35 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 11:21:52 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Ngalaka, actually the problem of us having bad Kiswahili is not unique to Kiswahili. We have a mix of languages and end up having a bit of each but not fluent in any.

Our English is laden with Kiswahili words and conversely our Kiswahili is like English. Si you jua what I'm saying?

And no, Kiswahili has ceased being a second language. It is the first language children speak across social classes. Those in deep rural areas are the only ones learning mother tongue first. Infact, I see local African languages dying with the preference by parents for Kiswahili.

I do not think there's any harm in learning more of this beautiful language. There's no joy in not knowing

have you been to the academies in urban areas, kiswahili is shunned, have you been to the estates around towns, parents only communicate to their kids in the queens language, have you been on wazua, kiswahili posts give people headaches and this is for individuals who scored A's in the same.
masukuma
#36 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 11:26:36 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

have you been to the academies in urban areas, kiswahili is shunned, have you been to the estates around towns, parents only communicate to their kids in the queens language, have you been on wazua, kiswahili posts give people headaches and this is for individuals who scored A's in the same.

so? lets just drop it - right?
masukuma
#37 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:45:09 AM

Ngalaka wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

Would you say in all honesty that, that statement is not a true reflection of an average Kenyan - not some exceptionals who are few and far between.

indeed, but the fact of the matter is that more of the kids you are concerned about will be more like you (unlikely to talk their mother tongues) than you (proficient in their mother tongues).
Lolest!
#38 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 8:56:18 AM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

I have only 1 neighbour whose kid spoke English as first language. The rest speak Kiswahili. Not their mother tongues

Now for that 1 child born into Queen's language, she's had to learn Kiswahili. Coz most kids speak Swa.(I obviiusly dont live in Karen/Lavi/Westi...)
sitaki.kujulikana
#39 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:09:06 PM

Lolest! wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

I have only 1 neighbour whose kid spoke English as first language. The rest speak Kiswahili. Not their mother tongues

Now for that 1 child born into Queen's language, she's had to learn Kiswahili. Coz most kids speak Swa.(I obviiusly dont live in Karen/Lavi/Westi...)

smile its not only those areas, where I live mimi husikia watoto wakiongea in english, a very minimalist form but english, and the schools are very adamant on kids communicating in english.
sitaki.kujulikana
#40 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:18:05 PM

masukuma wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

so? lets just drop it - right?

if the schools do not see the need for it, I would think they are better placed on matters schooling, but in all honesty I don't see the academic benefit of teaching kiswahili, we do not do business or official correspondence in the same, our institutions of higher learning do not publish in kiswahili, if it has to be included then the best we can do is have it as an optional subject, eitherway the way the curriculum is set, its the syntax that is taught, a kid needs to understand the language before the kiswahili teacher comes into the view.