wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages123>»
Mall Owners Rush to Get Out of the Mall Business
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:12:55 PM

"Mall landlords are increasingly walking away from struggling properties, leaving creditors in the lurch and posing a threat to the values of nearby real estate.

As competition from online retailers batters store owners, some of the largest U.S. landlords are calculating it is more advantageous to hand over ownership to lenders than to attempt to restructure debts on properties with darkening outlooks.

That, in turn, leaves lenders with little choice but to unload the distressed properties at fire-sale prices."

Now, that is an article about what's happening in the states. I think it will happen here too. We have too many malls and some don't even make sense. When you go around, there are too many malls running empty,and why would you shop for a dress in a brick and mortar shop while you can get a huge variety online? When you look at the Karen area, there are 3 malls quite close to each other. Thika Rd/Kiambu, the same, Ngong Road (Prestige, Yaya, Green House, Ellys, The Junction...). Why are Kenyans still building malls at this day and age?

BBI will solve it
:)
harrydre
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:48:41 PM

2012 wrote:
"Mall landlords are increasingly walking away from struggling properties, leaving creditors in the lurch and posing a threat to the values of nearby real estate.

As competition from online retailers batters store owners, some of the largest U.S. landlords are calculating it is more advantageous to hand over ownership to lenders than to attempt to restructure debts on properties with darkening outlooks.

That, in turn, leaves lenders with little choice but to unload the distressed properties at fire-sale prices."

Now, that is an article about what's happening in the states. I think it will happen here too. We have too many malls and some don't even make sense. When you go around, there are too many malls running empty,and why would you shop for a dress in a brick and mortar shop while you can get a huge variety online? When you look at the Karen area, there are 3 malls quite close to each other. Thika Rd/Kiambu, the same, Ngong Road (Prestige, Yaya, Green House, Ellys, The Junction...). Why are Kenyans still building malls at this day and age?

adapt or die! Uber vs Taxis, airbnb vs hotels, digital vs analogue....

i.am.back!!!!
murchr
#3 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 12:28:51 AM

Kiash alituambia hii maneno kitambo 2015
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
quicksand
#4 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 7:50:59 AM

Hmmmm .....so, what is the outlook for Two Rivers 2 to 5 years down the line?
Typically, they will charge tenants the price of a jet engine for rental space -and Kenyans will troop there by the thousands, in the beginning at least. The mall will choke Limuru Road and the Northern ByPass during the weekends, and then it will get old and Kenyans will lose interest. Sad
Is Kirubi and Centum going to lose their shirt? Discuss. Informed opinion, conjecture and guesswork all welcome Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
sparkly
#5 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 9:24:37 AM

Ridgeways mall charging for parking. Wonder why since there is nothing really to keep someone busy at Ridgeways to the extent of paying for parking.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Realtreaty
#6 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 10:04:28 AM

2012 wrote:

Liar Liar
Malls are not for everyday shopping to buy a quarter Kg sugar, salt etc.
Malls are for weekend and end Month shoppers where affluent go for a variety and not the normal wanjiku window shopping for majani chai.
Malls are charging a fee for those without coupons to show for anything bought as Kenyans have the habit of parking there in the morning, buying a packet of cigarettes and dunking out to office leaving the car parked for 8-9 hours.
Malls space is for customers who are inside shopping. Some parking can be rented on monthly fee on agreement someone need parking and is always reserved.
The weekend/monthly shoppers buy into thousands in their carts.smile smile
Pesa Nane
#7 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 10:06:33 AM

sparkly wrote:
Ridgeways mall charging for parking. Wonder why since there is nothing really to keep someone busy at Ridgeways to the extent of paying for parking.

Noted the same at Greenspan mall. Why pay for parking when the same services / goods are available at arms length at Shujaa Mall and K-Mall? Not to mention 2 nearby Naivas supermarkets
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
hardwood
#8 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 10:43:11 AM

Even Uchumi Jipange (the dying one at Roasters next to Mountain mall on Thika road) has installed the latest parking machines and is charging. Unbelievable.
Chaka
#9 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 11:12:13 AM

hardwood wrote:
Even Uchumi Jipange (the dying one at Roasters next to Mountain mall on Thika road) has installed the latest parking machines and is charging. Unbelievable.

That must be the landlord who has installed it unless they own the premises?
Swenani
#10 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 11:23:50 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Noted the same at Greenspan mall. Why pay for parking when the same services / goods are available at arms length at Shujaa Mall and K-Mall? Not to mention 2 nearby Naivas supermarkets

Kwani how long does shopping take, I understand parking for 0-20 minute is free, and 20 mins-2hrs is a mere 50 bob. So if you cannot afford the 50bob parking, you shouldn't be shopping there in the first instance.
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
hardwood
#11 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 11:55:04 AM

sparkly wrote:

They need to renovate the washrooms. Sinks, taps zimechakaa, taps not working, stained mirrors etc etc. I have noticed the same falling standards at Galleria.
Pesa Nane
#12 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 12:30:42 PM

Swenani wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Kwani how long does shopping take, I understand parking for 0-20 minute is free, and 20 mins-2hrs is a mere 50 bob. So if you cannot afford the 50bob parking, you shouldn't be shopping there in the first instance.

At Greenspan Mall the count starts at 0, unless something has since changed. Imagine the person
1. Who is just doing a drop
2. Visiting the tyre centre hence not really parking
3. Picking a takeaway lunch from one of the eateries.
etc etc
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
majimaji
#13 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 1:22:41 PM

Chaka wrote:
hardwood wrote:

You are being billed for shopping. Pure nonsense.
Swenani
#14 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 1:55:09 PM

majimaji wrote:
Chaka wrote:
hardwood wrote:

You are being billed for shopping. Pure nonsense.

Can we also argue that all saints cathedral bills people for praying?
omhangla
#15 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 2:44:52 PM

the hub is always empty on weekdays and so many shop in the top floor still unocuppied. but at least weekends people are many, though dont know if sales of only two days a week can sustain those expensive shops, staff salo, service charge,etc
MaichBlack
#16 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 2:51:46 PM

hardwood wrote:

Mountain Mall too. And the (underground) parking was not designed for this, so it is a total mess!!!

I think this fellows are trying to make up for the loss of projected income with parking income!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#17 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 2:55:39 PM

omhangla wrote:
the hub is always empty on weekdays and so many shop in the top floor still unocuppied. but at least weekends people are many, though dont know if sales of only two days a week can sustain those expensive shops, staff salo, service charge,etc

Even TRM which was one of the lucky few with near 100% occupancy now has empty shops. Even Alibhai Shariff moved out and left a very huge space which TRM Management couldn't get another client for and had to subdivide it into small shops. Last time I was there all those shops - and they are many - were vacant. 100% ready but vacant.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#18 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 2:58:06 PM

Swenani wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

It is not about money @Swenani. Think outside the box. If you come to my house and I charge you 20 bob to use the washroom, you will complain (even if it is not to me) yet 20 bob is nothing to you!!!
Swenani
#19 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 3:28:32 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

It is not about money @Swenani. Think outside the box. If you come to my house and I charge you 20 bob to use the washroom, you will complain (even if it is not to me) yet 20 bob is nothing to you!!!

Yes, It is not about the money, it is about the security.They are not trying to make money from you.

Would you argue that All saints cathedral started charging people who use their parking due to reduced offerings and tithing? Why is JKIA parking not free?Why do you feel okay payng for parking at JKIA adn cathredal and complain about malls doing the same?

The thing is, they are trying to secure your car, no one can drive off with your car unless they have the parking ticket.

Since the exit and entry gates are manned by clerks and they cost money to install and maintain, you have to pay for it. Why would the church or any other mall incur costs to secure your vehicle?

Most of the metered parking I know start charging after 20 minutes and the amounts are reasonable.

If you are indeed shopping, 1 hr should be enough anything above that is for somebody looking for free but secure parking!
Flo-ology
#20 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 3:36:40 PM

Swenani wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Yes, It is not about the money, it is about the security.They are not trying to make money from you.

Would you argue that All saints cathedral started charging people who use their parking due to reduced offerings and tithing? Why is JKIA parking not free?Why do you feel okay payng for parking at JKIA adn cathredal and complain about malls doing the same?

The thing is, they are trying to secure your car, no one can drive off with your car unless they have the parking ticket.

Since the exit and entry gates are manned by clerks and they cost money to install and maintain, you have to pay for it. Why would the church or any other mall incur costs to secure your vehicle?

Most of the metered parking I know start charging after 20 minutes and the amounts are reasonable.

If you are indeed shopping, 1 hr should be enough anything above that is for somebody looking for free but secure parking!

@Swenani, I had to read your comments twice; makes logic from security point of view....
Reflection Eternal