wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Airtel quitting??
Alfylavie
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:42:50 AM

Airtel selling off its assets, cutting down staff, making losses and Rumours of exiting the Kenyan market.
Details
Making money never gets boring
sparkly
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:31:18 AM

Alfylavie wrote:
Airtel selling off its assets, cutting down staff, making losses and Rumours of exiting the Kenyan market.
Details

Are they really quitting while they provide Equity with the infrastructure?
Life is short. Live passionately.
Alfylavie
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 9:23:16 AM

sparkly wrote:
Alfylavie wrote:
Details

Are they really quitting while they provide Equity with the infrastructure?

They're unable to sustain their employees while still providing Equity with the infrastructure[/quote]
Making money never gets boring
Lolest!
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 12:09:51 PM

It would be a sad day if airtel exited the market. The green giant would really terrorise consumers

But maybe they'd then sell to some other big international telco
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Angelica _ann
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 12:13:25 PM

Equity should buy the infrastructure and roll out equitel 'mpesa ' in a big way!!!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
pilgrimage
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 12:35:13 PM

I have never understood the marketing strategy of Airtel Kenya.I always wonder how they hope to penetrate the voice and data market especially the later with such poor coverage.All over kenya (i have travelled widely), there are only pockets of coverage and only mainly around major urban centres.If you inside the house,you will be lucky if you get anything.
Meanwhile you can get Safaricom even in a deep cave.

I went to a Airtel shop and i was told,'inakuwanga hivyo'.A friend of mine said that either Airtel have no clue what they are doing or someone is seriously sabotaging them.
alotoftalk
#7 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 5:16:41 AM

Alfylavie wrote:
Details

MTN should make another stab at the Kenyan market
Investment philosophy development in progress...
watesh
#8 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 5:33:03 AM

Please please leave the market....am a Safaricom investor and I dont like them
quicksand
#9 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 7:05:17 AM

pilgrimage wrote:
I have never understood the marketing strategy of Airtel Kenya.I always wonder how they hope to penetrate the voice and data market especially the later with such poor coverage.All over kenya (i have travelled widely), there are only pockets of coverage and only mainly around major urban centres.If you inside the house,you will be lucky if you get anything.

I went to a Airtel shop and i was told,'inakuwanga hivyo'.A friend of mine said that either Airtel have no clue what they are doing or someone is seriously sabotaging them.

..the management has ONE tool and one tool only in their arsenal. Cost Reduction. Not cost management or cost control. They attack every business problem with this. A terrible way to strategise as operations will go wrong if you don't get inventive. And when in a hole, they double down.
Imagine your child gets ill, the doc says its malnutrition cause you have had him on a kale only diet; hence you need to supplement his diet with meat, milk and some beans...and you go...No!too costly! Need to reduce the kales to one meal a day!
It is like that with Airtel. A good case of the king is naked when it comes to their management and this cost thing. Even a monkey can see it.
A company with 6+ million subs ought to make some money...Saf has what, 23+ million? Thats four times, so being very generous, they should be able to haul in a tenth of what Saf makes surely? 3 billion is not a bad payday. Instead, Safaricom has them beat by the 15th second of each business day.
Mind boggling.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#10 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 10:34:25 AM

seriously what ails this company ? even with low costs compared to safaricom people still love safcom.whats going to turn the tide for this company ?i think the best way to get airtel recognized is to launch some craaaaaazy advertisement stunt like free calls for a week fro new customers or free data for a month for new customers and some incentives for those people who introduce new customers to airtel. works very well in india with reliance jio.If you are an airtel employee reading this pass this idea to your management.check the below article

https://qz.com/850243/50...app-facebook-and-skype/
sitaki.kujulikana
#11 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 12:29:35 PM

quicksand wrote:
pilgrimage wrote:

..the management has ONE tool and one tool only in their arsenal. Cost Reduction. Not cost management or cost control. They attack every business problem with this. A terrible way to strategise as operations will go wrong if you don't get inventive. And when in a hole, they double down.
Imagine your child gets ill, the doc says its malnutrition cause you have had him on a kale only diet; hence you need to supplement his diet with meat, milk and some beans...and you go...No!too costly! Need to reduce the kales to one meal a day!
It is like that with Airtel. A good case of the king is naked when it comes to their management and this cost thing. Even a monkey can see it.
A company with 6+ million subs ought to make some money...Saf has what, 23+ million? Thats four times, so being very generous, they should be able to haul in a tenth of what Saf makes surely? 3 billion is not a bad payday. Instead, Safaricom has them beat by the 15th second of each business day.
Mind boggling.

easy said, they seem to be doing well in their other markets, so I am sure they know one or two things about the industry as compared to say 'monkeys' smile
I don't know if you have ever tried selling stuff to kenyans, we at times can be peculiar beings, there is this electrical shop huko down town, and despite there being many other shops around it people still prefer to go make a queue hapo disregarding the others, despite all the shops sourcing their stuff from similar suppliers.

another example is with pubs/nyama joints you might find guys struggling to get parking at an establishment while next door the other guys are near empty.

sometimes it just happens, not due to brilliance or skills, people just flock to some and ignore others.
Chaka
#12 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 12:36:13 PM

If I may ask.How many mobile operators are there in India?Is there a dominant player there?
quicksand
#13 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 12:51:46 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
quicksand wrote:
pilgrimage wrote:

Mind boggling.

easy said, they seem to be doing well in their other markets, so I am sure they know one or two things about the industry as compared to say 'monkeys' smile
I don't know if you have ever tried selling stuff to kenyans, we at times can be peculiar beings, there is this electrical shop huko down town, and despite there being many other shops around it people still prefer to go make a queue hapo disregarding the others, despite all the shops sourcing their stuff from similar suppliers.

another example is with pubs/nyama joints you might find guys struggling to get parking at an establishment while next door the other guys are near empty.

sometimes it just happens, not due to brilliance or skills, people just flock to some and ignore others.

smile ..its hyperbole chief. That said, my point remains valid. The 6+ million subscribers on their roster are very real customers...and yes, the Kenyan market is unique, challenging even but not insurmountable. Zuku guys are roughly in the same domain with fewer customers and a smaller war chest and yet they seem to eke revenue and subsistence still. The kenyan market is different from other countries, much like how we have superb internet infrastructure, our Human development more developed compared to the rest of most of Africa; As such, they should retweaked their business model to adapt to Kenya and not try to shoehorn Kenya into fitting their idea of what an African market is like. Kenyans are smart and price sensitive too. They will pick a solution that makes economic sense to them. The brand loyalty to Safaricom is not totally blind, which is why Equity got some traction with Equitel despite running on a hosted network.
Finally, I have a more than common insight in the Kenya telecomms space.
muganda
#14 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 2:29:24 PM

Chaka wrote:
If I may ask.How many mobile operators are there in India?Is there a dominant player there?

They exist amicably in India -
Airtel revenue market share at 7yr high of 33% with 262m subscribers;
Vodafone market share 23.5% with 201m subscribers;
Idea Cellular market share 18.8% with 185m subscribers.

The top 3 have 75% market share, with their combined 650m subscribers having over 94% active.
Chaka
#15 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 3:41:55 PM

muganda wrote:
Chaka wrote:

The top 3 have 75% market share, with their combined 650m subscribers having over 94% active.

With these sort of numbers I would imagine calling rates are dirt cheap?
Whats the situation like in Nigeria?
mnandii
#16 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 5:41:48 PM

pilgrimage wrote:

I think buying yu subscribers was not smart (one of the latest mistakes). Instead of investing heavily in infrastructure they decide to go for unworthy subscribers
(yu guys were practically calling for free!
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
sitaki.kujulikana
#17 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 6:01:31 PM

quicksand wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
quicksand wrote:
pilgrimage wrote:

Mind boggling.

smile ..its hyperbole chief. That said, my point remains valid. The 6+ million subscribers on their roster are very real customers...and yes, the Kenyan market is unique, challenging even but not insurmountable. Zuku guys are roughly in the same domain with fewer customers and a smaller war chest and yet they seem to eke revenue and subsistence still. The kenyan market is different from other countries, much like how we have superb internet infrastructure, our Human development more developed compared to the rest of most of Africa; As such, they should retweaked their business model to adapt to Kenya and not try to shoehorn Kenya into fitting their idea of what an African market is like. Kenyans are smart and price sensitive too. They will pick a solution that makes economic sense to them. The brand loyalty to Safaricom is not totally blind, which is why Equity got some traction with Equitel despite running on a hosted network.
Finally, I have a more than common insight in the Kenya telecomms space.

sawa smile mimi sina insight huko, I am just a keyboard/google fed analyst smile but is comparing zuku biashara to that of a mobile operator taking it a little bit too far especially when looking at revenues, my keyboard ninja in me tells me zuku is more specific, they target a controlled market segment unlike airtel who have to cater to non existent customers. plus if you go into a market you have your projections and if you fail to get the same you exit, ama telcom space huenda aje
murchr
#18 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 6:05:59 PM

pilgrimage wrote:

Its simple.

Airtel does well in other parts of Africa but not Kenya, reason being they dont want to invest in infrastructure hoping that the regulation will change to force safaricom to share their infrastructure. Remember the 4G debate? When Safcom bought licenses Airtel went up in arms saying the license is expensive bla bla.

http://www.businessdaily.../-/3vp21uz/-/index.html

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
sitaki.kujulikana
#19 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 6:06:17 PM

mnandii wrote:
pilgrimage wrote:

I think buying yu subscribers was not smart (one of the latest mistakes). Instead of investing heavily in infrastructure they decide to go for unworthy subscribers
(yu guys were practically calling for free!

have always thought that infrastructure thing messes them kabisa, its very poor to say the least especially when one moves from the urban centers, also the constant change of owners has not done that network any favors
muganda
#20 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 6:22:28 PM

Chaka wrote:
muganda wrote:
Chaka wrote:

With these sort of numbers I would imagine calling rates are dirt cheap?
Whats the situation like in Nigeria?

In Nigeria, MTN leads of course with 62m subscribers (38%). Glo mobile has 35m subscribers (24%) just ahead of Airtel's 34m subscribers or (23%).
Lastly, there's an Etisalat there with 15% of subscribers.

As is the case in Africa, Airtel still in losses (unlike MTN/Glo) in Nigeria. Globacom carried out a coup coming from fourth to second in seven years.