wazua Sat, Jun 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3d printing and I
tycho
#1 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2017 10:25:06 PM

How do you expect 3d printing to change your life? And what kind of new products do you expect to see in the market?
radio
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:34:10 AM

tycho wrote:
How do you expect 3d printing to change your life? And what kind of new products do you expect to see in the market?

You tell us.

Nonetheless, we had 3D printer in the office that was eventually taken away as no one was using it. Missed opportunities
majimaji
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:36:21 AM

You can print a gun and shoot somebody you don't like.
enyands
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:43:36 AM

majimaji wrote:

You can print a gun and shoot somebody you don't like.

I'll buy the 3D printer . Kuna jirani anasumbua na radio usiku. I'll print hiyo chuma na nimlinge moja kwa kidole ya left leg.problem solved
Pirate
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:27:48 PM

tycho wrote:

Being a tech enthusiast , I had planned to start a 3D printing business but other opportunities took over. The uses are countless so i'll share a few ideas I had planned.

1. Create souvenir sculptures of people's heads ,body etc . That would require 3-D imaging and the tools are readily available in the market for that.

2. Intricate architectural modelling instead of carving out models . That would require a relatively large 3D printer .

3. Printing casts broken limbs etc

4. Eventually evolve to printing prosthetic limbs .

A Kenyan won some award in Europe when he did 3-D printing of shoe soles for people with jigger ailments

3-D printing was touted to be the next big thing , but I guess its still evolving as it seeks to find its place in the modern day.
Knowledge is power , but action gets things done ...
Rankaz13
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:16:58 PM

Pirate wrote:
tycho wrote:

Being a tech enthusiast , I had planned to start a 3D printing business but other opportunities took over. The uses are countless so i'll share a few ideas I had planned.

1. Create souvenir sculptures of people's heads ,body etc . That would require 3-D imaging and the tools are readily available in the market for that.

2. Intricate architectural modelling instead of carving out models . That would require a relatively large 3D printer .

3. Printing casts broken limbs etc

4. Eventually evolve to printing prosthetic limbs .

A Kenyan won some award in Europe when he did 3-D printing of shoe soles for people with jigger ailments

3-D printing was touted to be the next big thing , but I guess its still evolving as it seeks to find its place in the modern day.

http://edition.cnn.com/2...-printing-human-organs/

https://www.ted.com/talk...printing_a_human_kidney

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
majimaji
#7 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 8:38:07 AM

Where can we get 3D printers in Nairobi?
tycho
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:19:46 AM

radio wrote:
tycho wrote:

You tell us.

Nonetheless, we had 3D printer in the office that was eventually taken away as no one was using it. Missed opportunities

At last I've had access to one and contrary to expectation of making several items, I've ended up just doing one item.

But now I can think from experience. And the thoughts may not be so simple...

The first place 3d printing will change my life is how I perceive myself and the world. So far, I think most of us have worldviews that are incompatible with 3d printers. For example, a 3d printer requires multi-disciplinary skill, many of us aren't that eclecltic.

A product I'd expect to be in the market would be a softbot that can work with the linear and unidisciplinary mind to fast track the adoption of 3d printers.

You can imagine the printer I've accessed belongs to a primary and secondary school, where by the way, there's a computer lab but no lap top or tablet for every child as school policy.

So I expect the market to teem with visionaries who can inform government policy adequately on how to move on.

But, there's a book I'm reading that has reminded me that governments aren't so keen on citizen's welfare because they care but because they want to be stronger. So some governments will resist 3d printers because their paradigms will be weakened.

Maybe technology will necessitate the toppling of some governments.

maka
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 7:03:10 PM

tycho wrote:
radio wrote:
tycho wrote:

You tell us.

At last I've had access to one and contrary to expectation of making several items, I've ended up just doing one item.

But now I can think from experience. And the thoughts may not be so simple...

The first place 3d printing will change my life is how I perceive myself and the world. So far, I think most of us have worldviews that are incompatible with 3d printers. For example, a 3d printer requires multi-disciplinary skill, many of us aren't that eclecltic.

A product I'd expect to be in the market would be a softbot that can work with the linear and unidisciplinary mind to fast track the adoption of 3d printers.

You can imagine the printer I've accessed belongs to a primary and secondary school, where by the way, there's a computer lab but no lap top or tablet for every child as school policy.

So I expect the market to teem with visionaries who can inform government policy adequately on how to move on.

But, there's a book I'm reading that has reminded me that governments aren't so keen on citizen's welfare because they care but because they want to be stronger. So some governments will resist 3d printers because their paradigms will be weakened.

Maybe technology will necessitate the toppling of some governments.

Second last paragraph reminds me of Masukush...
possunt quia posse videntur