wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Nairobi from a county to Capital city
muganda
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 11:57:28 AM

Muranga Senator Kembi Getura's proposal to change Nairobi's status from a county to a capital city run by the National Government.

Gosh, these MPs do sometimes come up with brainwaves Applause

KulaRaha
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 12:50:18 PM

Looks like Central govt wants to eat from Nairobi.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Ericsson
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 12:59:54 PM

This issue requires a referendum which when brought to Nairobians they will shoot it down.
Mad men we have in this country
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Angelica _ann
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 1:06:27 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

More like K24 wants to eat Nairobi!!!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
majimaji
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 2:23:01 PM

Personally, i would prefer Nairobi to be divided further into 5 counties. We Nairobians are under represented.
mlennyma
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 2:36:42 PM

I don't know where this topic seats well.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Metch
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 2:48:39 PM

majimaji wrote:

Personally, i would prefer Nairobi to be divided further into 5 counties. We Nairobians are under represented.

Am thinking the opposite. Its other counties that should be merged. Kenya should have not more than 10 counties. Why have a multitude of counties that cannot pay for their own expenses?
Start!
Swenani
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 4:39:23 PM

mlennyma wrote:

Maybe if you knew the meaning of seat, you would have known where the topic sits wellsmile smile smile
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
murchr
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:41:06 PM

mlennyma wrote:

Green section ofcourse
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Mkondoa Macho
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:15:01 PM

Metch wrote:
[quote=majimaji]

MaichBlack
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:26:29 PM

Metch wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Am thinking the opposite. Its other counties that should be merged. Kenya should have not more than 10 counties. Why have a multitude of counties that cannot pay for their own expenses?

Agreed.

I was anti Counties/Devil-ution before the new constitution* and I am still anti Counties/Devil-ution now. But I have stated here before, if we cannot get rid of Counties, let us have a maximum of 8 to 10. But I still prefer zero!!! I would rather we devolve money and use employees (as opposed to elected idiots) if that is the only way to ensure that each corner of the country gets a fair share of the cake we all bake!!!

*It is well documented in past posts that I was against devolution and warned all who listened that devolution would devolve corruption, will increase the wage bill to levels never seen (or even imagined) before in the country, will balkanize the country, will institutionalize tribalism etc. etc. Unfortunately for the country, all these things have come to pass. Get rid of this bloody counties. Kenya is too small to subdivided this way.

This is the problem with copy pasting. The governor of Califonia for example runs the 4th biggest economy in the world. The some clowns go to their constitution and copy paste the idea and come up with groupings of villages most of which are not economically viable and call them counties!!! Village groupings that have to get money from the National government even for recurrent expenditure! WTF!!??
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:28:51 PM

Metch wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Agreed.

I was anti Counties/Devil-ution before the new constitution* and I am still anti Counties/Devil-ution now. But I have stated here before, if we cannot get rid of Counties, let us have a maximum of 8 to 10. But I still prefer zero!!! I would rather we devolve money and use employees (as opposed to elected idiots) if that is the only way to ensure that each corner of the country gets a fair share of the cake we all bake!!!

*It is well documented in past posts that I was against devolution and warned all who listened that devolution would devolve corruption, will increase the wage bill to levels never seen (or even imagined) before in the country, will balkanize the country, will institutionalize tribalism etc. etc. Unfortunately for the country, all these things have come to pass. Get rid of this bloody counties. Kenya is too small to subdivided this way.

This is the problem with copy pasting. The governor of Califonia for example runs the 4th biggest economy in the world. Then some clowns go to their constitution and copy paste the idea and come up with groupings of villages most of which are not economically viable and call them counties!!! Village groupings that have to get money from the National government even for recurrent expenditure! WTF!!??
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:34:22 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

Kidero doing exactly what most people expected him to do.
MaichBlack
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:35:57 PM

Counties: - System ya majambazi!!!
MaichBlack
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:38:10 PM

And some fellows who are as corrupt as hell and claim to leading the fight against corruption and are apparently our only hope to ending corruption (I don't know how many people believe that bullshit!) are extremely silent even when the Auditor-General no less points out glaring corruption in counties like Nairoberry!!!

You payuka for a whole year because of the theft of 700 million from NYS and 20 BILLION is stolen in one county (let me not even go into other counties) and all over sudden you are dumb, deaf and blind. You must imagine people are idiots and don't notice! And you might be right because there are idiots who don't notice!!!

Don't get me wrong. All theft is wrong! NYS, Counties, National Government, Opposition, Police officers, Kanjo, etc. Even 700/= stolen from tax payers is 700/= too much. But we cannot have seasoned thieves pretending to be looking for their fellow thieves!!!
Obi 1 Kanobi
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 7:10:15 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
And some fellows who are as corrupt as hell and claim to leading the fight against corruption and are apparently our only hope to ending corruption (I don't know how many people believe that bullshit!) are extremely silent even when the Auditor-General no less points out glaring corruption in counties like Nairoberry!!!

You payuka for a whole year because of the theft of 700 million from NYS and 20 BILLION is stolen in one county (let me not even go into other counties) and all over sudden you are dumb, deaf and blind. You must imagine people are idiots and don't notice! And you might be right because there are idiots who don't notice!!!

Don't get me wrong. All theft is wrong! NYS, Counties, National Government, Police officers, Kanjo, etc. Even 700/= stolen from tax payers is 700/= too much. But we cannot have seasoned thieves pretending to be looking for their fellow thieves!!!

Hapana, we prefer counties. If there was no devolution the central gava would be eating all the money, I much prefer the corruption is devolved so every corner of the country gets its thief in chief.

Example if we had the devolution from independence. Jomo would have stolen only the land in central/kiambu, he would not have stolen land in Taita, RV, and along the coast line.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Alba
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 9:23:33 PM

This is similar to what Moi did when he abolished the Nairobi city council and established the Nairobi city commission which he filled with his stooges. That was when Nairobi's descent into hell accelerated.

Service deliveries like garbage collection which was common went completely missing. Large piles of rubbish everywhere, drainage ditches started to be filled with refuse, water shortages became commmon, land started to be grabbed at alarming rates, illegal buildings on road reserves, poor road maintenance, social halls and sports fields started to be grabbed, city facilities no longer maintained, ................

All these accelerated when the mayor of Nairobi was no longer accountable to the people but to the president. And this is what Gitura is proposing.

Alba
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 9:26:56 PM

Gitura is a perfect example of why we don't need senators. Kenya needs a constitutional amendment to abolish the senate. They are paid a lot of money and yet 90% of them are self serving and do not benefit the common man. And it is not even clear whether any of them accomplish anything that cannot be done by MPs.

The money used to pay them salaries, allowances, maintain their cars, pay for their healthcare, pay for their travel etc etc would be better off being added to CDF.
Lolest!
#19 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 10:49:35 AM

Alba wrote:
Gitura is a perfect example of why we don't need senators. Kenya needs a constitutional amendment to abolish the senate. They are paid a lot of money and yet 90% of them are self serving and do not benefit the common man. And it is not even clear whether any of them accomplish anything that cannot be done by MPs.

The money used to pay them salaries, allowances, maintain their cars, pay for their healthcare, pay for their travel etc etc would be better off being added to CDF.

Yeah, been saying so. These fellows are so idle they even engage in roles that have nothing to do with them eg KQ mess

Disband it
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
wukan
#20 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 10:49:49 AM

Alba wrote:
This is similar to what Moi did when he abolished the Nairobi city council and established the Nairobi city commission which he filled with his stooges. That was when Nairobi's descent into hell accelerated.

Service deliveries like garbage collection which was common went completely missing. Large piles of rubbish everywhere, drainage ditches started to be filled with refuse, water shortages became commmon, land started to be grabbed at alarming rates, illegal buildings on road reserves, poor road maintenance, social halls and sports fields started to be grabbed, city facilities no longer maintained, ................

All these accelerated when the mayor of Nairobi was no longer accountable to the people but to the president. And this is what Gitura is proposing.

@Alba sema ukweli City commission days were some of the best days of this city. It was the only time that central govt was interested in urban renewal. Kameros(garbage trucks) were still working 2 days a week until around 1992. Most of the water projects like Ndakaini were planned during those years. Just before multi-party elections the city commission went on looting spree then we voted for the semi-illiterate kanjoras and everything went to the dogs.

This is how Nairobi was before the city commission.

Quote:
One may be used to cleaner Nairobi streets today. But at the time, huge garbage boxes littered the CBD and often lay there for weeks uncollected. One would find them in uptown areas like Kenyatta Avenue, where street boys and thugs scavenged in broad daylight. Those were the years that saw unparalleled scramble for public plots, which were grabbed with the approval of chief officers and councillors. Away went plots meant for clinics, schools, playgrounds, recreation and other public utilities. To protect themselves, some councilors were said to demarcate some plots and hand them out to landless people, forming squatter settlements that later bulged into ghettoes. As the probe got underway, it was found that despite lack of services, the council had a workforce of 17,000 employees. They earned more than Sh30 million in monthly salaries and Sh21 million as overtime. “This is totally unbelievable,” said President Moi when presented with the figures.
Read more at: https://www.standardmedi...ssolved-over-corruption