wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
What is Democracy?
Lolest!
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:08:59 PM

Or rather how do you determine a country is democratic or not?

US have had their Trump elections. Loser of the popular vote is declared winner. Yaani, the minority have decided for the majority.

In UK, the High Court has ruled that the Brexit referendum is only advisory. Parliament will be the final decision making organ. Not the people. And yes, they could decide to stay in EU!

Me thinks hakuna demokrasia Brito na Stato!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hardwood
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:16:37 PM

Democracy is what you decide it to be. For some its electoral college votes, others like us its 50%+1 while for some its kura ya makelele, mlolongo etc etc. For others like UK the leader of the party that wins most seats in parliament becomes the PM. As long as all the players know the rules of their version of democracy and play by those rules, then hakuna shida coz they would have won or lost fairly.

I think in the case of the US they decided to have the electoral college so that smaller states could participate equally and have a voice and not be under perpetual "tyranny of numbers" from populous states like California, Florida etc.
masukuma
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:31:24 PM

hardwood wrote:
Democracy is what you decide it to be. For some its electoral college votes, others like us its 50%+1 while for some its kura ya makelele, mlolongo etc etc. As long as all the players know the rules of their version of democracy, then hakuna shida coz they would have won or lost fairly.

I think in the case of the US they decided to have the electoral college so that smaller states could participate equally and have a voice and not be under "tyranny of numbers" from populous states like California, Florida etc.

True democracies (majority having their say) don't work in heterogeneous settings. For me all these systems are competitions, events that we need to engage in so that we don't go to war over resources or a certain prize. So whatever works for the contesting teams - but it must be agreed upon by all significant sides of the contest. It's like a football match... it has rules and a way to count scores. So you decide before hand that all balls that pass through the enclosure we call a goal post shall be counted and the one with most wins. You cannot later come an say...Oh.. I won because I had 90% possession, 50 shots at goal and you guys won by an own goal. I saw a tweet by someone who i really respect to the effect that
Quote:
Electoral votes are what candidates campaign for. If the winning candidate had been campaigning for the popular vote, he'd have got more.

Ganering electoral votes was the contest... not popular votes. He won! clean! should California fell cheated? yes! but let them address that in the next election. Let them ask to get a better representation. Let them arm twist the establishment and push for it's interest. Saa hii Madam ako na 800k on top of Trump... let the 800k strong side figure out how to make sure their influence is felt in future elections.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Wakanyugi
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:10:07 PM

Lolest! wrote:

US have had their Trump elections. Loser of the popular vote is declared winner. Yaani, the minority have decided for the majority.

In UK, the High Court has ruled that the Brexit referendum is only advisory. Parliament will be the final decision making organ. Not the people. And yes, they could decide to stay in EU!

There has never been a pure democracy anywhere on Earth. Even the Athenian version, hailed as direct democracy, only permitted freemen to vote (no slaves or women).

That said, in my opinion, a system that allows majority will to prevail, no matter how flawed, is an acceptable definition of democracy. Thus the UK and US are not perfect democracies but in both cases the will of the majority prevails, even when the decisions (as in Brexit, Trump etc) are clearly objectionable.

The European version, on the other hand, is the real joke. If Brexit had been a European plebiscite, they would have forced the British to vote again until they came up with the desired result.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
tycho
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:48:11 AM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

There has never been a pure democracy anywhere on Earth. Even the Athenian version, hailed as direct democracy, only permitted freemen to vote (no slaves or women).

That said, in my opinion, a system that allows majority will to prevail, no matter how flawed, is an acceptable definition of democracy. Thus the UK and US are not perfect democracies but in both cases the will of the majority prevails, even when the decisions (as in Brexit, Trump etc) are clearly objectionable.

The European version, on the other hand, is the real joke. If Brexit had been a European plebiscite, they would have forced the British to vote again until they came up with the desired result.

@Wakanyugi, are you a 'Platonist' by any chance?
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:22:34 AM

Lolest! wrote:

Winston S. Churchill — 'Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.'

In my opinion, democracy is not the voting but the system agreed to by the majority. The American system worked as perfectly as it was supposed to. What the need to do now is go back and see if their system still applies in today's world. I feel nothing for Hillary's losing, she was a terrible candidate but for Al Gore it's still not clear today if he lost.

BBI will solve it
:)
KulaRaha
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:35:39 AM

Sounds familiar? Sycophants, pls respond...
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Wakanyugi
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:12:21 PM

tycho wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Only up to a point. As in for instance, the belief that most of what we call reality is abstract and immutable - existing beyond the spcetime frame of reference - yet still objectively perceivable by those who desire to 'know.' That I believe.

As for leadership, Plato favored the idea of philosopher Kings, whose role was partly to modify poor decisions that the plebeian hordes may make in the practice of democracy. According to him it would have made sense for US/UK leaders to reverse the recent Brexit/Trump decisions seeing as they are likely to be harmful to a large majority, including those who voted for them. Ayn Rand would agree.

As for me, I say with Achebe "the will of the people is the will of God" and democracy includes the right to be wrong.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Njung'e
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:48:29 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
[quote=Lolest!]

Hey!!!!...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly....are your sure they call that democracy?smile
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Wakanyugi
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:31:23 PM

Njung'e wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
[quote=Lolest!]

Hey!!!!...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly....are your sure they call that democracy?smile

A Kenyan friend used to call it 'guided democracy'
AlphDoti
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:03:02 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
...The European version, on the other hand, is the real joke. If Brexit had been a European plebiscite, they would have forced the British to vote again until they came up with the desired result.
A Kenyan friend used to call it 'guided democracy'

Hypocrisy of democracy!

The reality is that democracy is seriously flawed political enterprise. We need to stop treating democracy like a God. We need to stop using terms like democracy and freedom. Democracy is very easily corruptible. Susceptible to some of the worst forms of humanity as we have seen in trump election: illusion of choice, manufactured consent...

Noam Chomsky in his book: Manufacturing consent talks about how mass media works against the pple's best interest and essentially brainwashes the pple, indoctrinate them, so that they think they have the illusion of choice but in reality, they don't have an actual choice.

So yes, it is a tool, but it has serious cons.
tycho
#12 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 9:27:48 AM

Wakanyugi wrote:
tycho wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Only up to a point. As in for instance, the belief that most of what we call reality is abstract and immutable - existing beyond the spcetime frame of reference - yet still objectively perceivable by those who desire to 'know.' That I believe.

As for leadership, Plato favored the idea of philosopher Kings, whose role was partly to modify poor decisions that the plebeian hordes may make in the practice of democracy. According to him it would have made sense for US/UK leaders to reverse the recent Brexit/Trump decisions seeing as they are likely to be harmful to a large majority, including those who voted for them. Ayn Rand would agree.

As for me, I say with Achebe "the will of the people is the will of God" and democracy includes the right to be wrong.

My question about Plato is mostly directed to your first paragraph in your response. It's related to 'forms' and in this case one would infer that 'democracy' is a form out there that is accessible in varying degrees.

@Lolest also seems to have similar sentiments.

I suspect that formism is outdated or untrue and probably the question posed by @Lolest is not properly stated...
Wakanyugi
#13 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 2:29:00 PM

tycho wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
tycho wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

My question about Plato is mostly directed to your first paragraph in your response. It's related to 'forms' and in this case one would infer that 'democracy' is a form out there that is accessible in varying degrees.

I suspect that formism is outdated or untrue and probably the question posed by @Lolest is not properly stated...

In that case yes, you could say I am a Platonista. Where he uses the term 'form' I use 'pattern' - same difference.

The discussion we are having would seem to indicate that formism is not outdated at all

Democracy is an ideal in conceptual form - more real in our mind than outside it. Our frustration with the concept comes largely from the difficulty we have in reproducing it into the perceptual world of space and time, human relations and other 'imperfections' that attend Earthly reality.

But Plato would also say that the it is not in realizing democracy that we achieve greatness but rather in the striving towards the unattainable. The effort is more important than the reward.
sitaki.kujulikana
#14 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 4:23:41 PM

Platonista ni plato that had me confused at some point.

assuming non BA philosophy majors are allowed to contribute, mimi kwa maoni yangu democracy is like nyama choma and the feast that follows and those on the outside quenching their saliva thirst.

so democracy is that process of determining who gets to eat meat, and a lack of democracy is whatever those who 'meza mate' say.
Wakanyugi
#15 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 5:50:46 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Platonista ni plato that had me confused at some point.

assuming non BA philosophy majors are allowed to contribute, mimi kwa maoni yangu democracy is like nyama choma and the feast that follows and those on the outside quenching their saliva thirst.

so democracy is that process of determining who gets to eat meat, and a lack of democracy is whatever those who 'meza mate' say.

That is the classic Jubilee definition of democracy, also known as 'kusema na kutender'. Your cynicism is valid.
Swenani
#16 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 8:15:40 PM

Democracy is electing the least popular guy among the poor but the most popular guy among the rich
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
masukuma
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:56:12 AM

Swenani wrote:
Democracy is electing the least popular guy among the poor but the most popular guy among the rich

To a hammer all problems look like nails! What we have is democracy in it's rawest form... it's called WINNER TAKES ALL or FIRST PAST THE POST. in the long run, First past the post always ends up with a two party system. A system driven by hate for the other guy/party. In Kenya that is bound to happen soon. People are already congregating around 2 parties and any 3rd party is considered a 'spoiled vote' - you may actually like the guy (KARUA for me in 2013) but you start thinking... how will @hardwood vote? and thus you change your vote driven not by liking Karua but by hating who @hardwood will vote for. We end up with akina dida not running or karua, Kiyapi, mudavadi and Kenneth being mezwad

There are alternative systems out there... especially in Europe! they have been able to hack this problem. there is the altenative vote (AV) system. Where people vote for more than one candidate. So you get a ballot and you rank them and state who is your number 1, number 2, number 3... upto the point you want. you can do only one or you can rank all the candidates. this is called the Alternative Vote. think of it as an instant run off - the rule is that you must have majority to win (50+1 in our case) and so @swenani likes Karua and can tolerate Raila. he puts 1 on Karua and 2 on Raila. when no one gets to 50%+1 - the voters who voted for the lowest ranked person (say Kiyapi) get examined and we deduce who they voted for as no. 2. if it's Raila - they are all added to Rao and if Rao gets to 50%+1 - he becomes president... instant run off!

The third system is the single transferable vote (STV) - in this system there are no primaries. Parties can have multiple candidates on the ballot. So JP can have Sonko, Wanjiru, Waititu, Kenneth e.t.c. and CORD can have Kisia and Kidero and Miguna would run as an independent. in a first past the post - JP would have "haribud Kura" by having multiple candidates on the ballot and Kidero would pita katikati yao. however the STV has an element of the Alternative vote (AV) where you must get to a threshold to get elected. if no one gets to that threshold the greatest loosers votes are caniblaized by their second choices. We end up with people who we really like or at least we had on our ballots.

there are other systems propotional representation systems - especially for parliamentary systems,

here is the mixed member propotional systems
Angelica _ann
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:22:07 PM

Seeing Koigi join JP to contest Nakuru Senatorial seat and supporting UMK to the core shows you cleely how democracy works in Africa. Always join your tribal king or perish!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
masukuma
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:32:34 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Seeing Koigi join JP to contest Nakuru Senatorial seat and supporting UMK to the core shows you cleely how democracy works in Africa. Always join your tribal king or perish!!!

Read my post! it explains it all!! Nyongo and his SDP run against Raila in 1997 akaonyeshwa moto, Orengo run against Raila in 2002 and wakaonyeshwa moto... so they have towed the line.
tycho
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 2:19:31 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
tycho wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
tycho wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

In that case yes, you could say I am a Platonista. Where he uses the term 'form' I use 'pattern' - same difference.

The discussion we are having would seem to indicate that formism is not outdated at all

Democracy is an ideal in conceptual form - more real in our mind than outside it. Our frustration with the concept comes largely from the difficulty we have in reproducing it into the perceptual world of space and time, human relations and other 'imperfections' that attend Earthly reality.

But Plato would also say that the it is not in realizing democracy that we achieve greatness but rather in the striving towards the unattainable. The effort is more important than the reward.

How do things get outdated? When their usefulness is depleted, not when their names are 'unuttered'. So talk about forms doesn't make forms relevant, at least in practical conduct.

Your last paragraph is about Plato being a champion of fantasy. And that, he recommends fantasy, or action driven by fantasy. Why? Because one kind of fantasy is better than another?

There must be a way that goes beyond fantasy.In making democracy a fantasy, and insisting that it's also not a fantasy, is a ridiculous position.