wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

37 Pages«<56789>»
Nakumatt: Another ailing Kenyan company
Ericsson
#121 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:53:25 PM

If Nakumatt fail to get a strategic investor they will shut down.
The debts are really choking them
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
wukan
#122 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:10:04 PM

Ericsson wrote:

The only retail that works in kenya are the small convenient stores. You scale and the margins will not work.
Ericsson
#123 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:13:00 PM

Nakumatt has been mismanaged and the 40 days have caught up.
KulaRaha
#124 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:32:07 PM

wukan wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

The only retail that works in kenya are the small convenient stores. You scale and the margins will not work.

Nonsense....scaling up works as long as you dont steal your cashflow.

Simple.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
faa
#125 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:38:34 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
wukan wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Simple.

the issue with nakumatt is that the owners raid the bank account as they wish. A withdraw of 1.5b this month another of 1.2b the following months have led to this.
wukan
#126 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:42:44 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
wukan wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Simple.

I think let me limit my contribution. Too many politicians on this forumSad Sad
Lolest!
#127 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:47:57 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
wukan wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Simple.

Was wondering how advantages such as bargaining power(with suppliers to the point of bullying them to accept 90 day payment terms) turns into a disadvantage
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Ericsson
#128 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:03:20 PM

@Lolest
The suppliers have found better paying customers i.e who will pay earlier than 90 days.
The next demise to Nakumatt will be when shoppers start shunning its branches and go to alternatives
murchr
#129 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:19:41 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@Lolest
The suppliers have found better paying customers i.e who will pay earlier than 90 days.
The next demise to Nakumatt will be when shoppers start shunning its branches and go to alternatives

Its not so much about payments being made earlier than 90 days rather, payments being delayed by over 90-100 days.

I dont know why Nakumatt feels that they have to be in every mall.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
GEORGEWACHIRA
#130 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:11:06 PM

Sometimes it's hard to understand these guyz everything delivered is paid on credit and yet some products will hardly last onto shelves even a day whats the point of paying such suppliers after three months Shame on you Shame on you
murchr
#131 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:52:31 PM

GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:
Sometimes it's hard to understand these guyz everything delivered is paid on credit and yet some products will hardly last onto shelves even a day whats the point of paying such suppliers after three months Shame on you Shame on you

Hii si kiosk
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Chaka
#132 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:03:35 PM

May be the cash needs to earn interest?
GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:

obiero
#133 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:16:55 PM

Chaka wrote:
GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:

Its a cash flow management tactic.. To ensure that the firm is aware of its full obligations to suppliers in advance. However, I do not support delays above the stated credit period

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
#134 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:54:19 PM

obiero wrote:
Chaka wrote:
GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:

Its a cash flow management tactic.. To ensure that the firm is aware of its full obligations to suppliers in advance. However, I do not support delays above the stated credit period

I don't think it's cashflow management. I suspect this is another Chase Bank only instead of depositors you have suppliers and banks. The suppliers are being paid pyramid style, you collect from John to pay Peter etc. the same unsustainable cycle that was employed by Uchumi until collapse. But I wish them well, hope their new investors don't back out after auditing books as has happened before with KK, Orange and Chase.

BBI will solve it
:)
newfarer
#135 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:05:42 PM

murchr wrote:
GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:

Hii si kiosk

managing a supermarket is not an easy job. you are dealing with thousands of products and hundreds if not thousands of suppliers.profit margins quite low with industry average of 15% .pilferage by staff and customers is common occurrence wiping out these sorry margins. managing such diverse supplier base and stock management isn't a joke

operating expenses to maintain some sanity in operations very high.
the moment you touch working capital and use it in capex is the moment the thousands of suppliers come calling and empty shelves pap

https://asokoinsight.com...-after-high-costs-kenya

from a revenue of 51 billion you make only 300 million.thats supermarket business for you
punda amecheka
KulaRaha
#136 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:39:56 PM

2012 wrote:
obiero wrote:
Chaka wrote:
GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:

I don't think it's cashflow management. I suspect this is another Chase Bank only instead of depositors you have suppliers and banks. The suppliers are being paid pyramid style, you collect from John to pay Peter etc. the same unsustainable cycle that was employed by Uchumi until collapse. But I wish them well, hope their new investors don't back out after auditing books as has happened before with KK, Orange and Chase.

Correct!! Shareholders siphon money monthly and that affects even basic cashflow as you can't keep milking a cow that hasn't been rested or fed.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Obi 1 Kanobi
#137 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:46:04 AM

KulaRaha wrote:
2012 wrote:
obiero wrote:
Chaka wrote:
GEORGEWACHIRA wrote:

Correct!! Shareholders siphon money monthly and that affects even basic cashflow as you can't keep milking a cow that hasn't been rested or fed.

Add employees to that, they steal stocks left right and centre. And because of weak corporate governance and a management style that involves hiding profits to avoid taxes, the directors never get to learn of staff fraud until its too late.

Remember the internal auditor who was shot, I also here many Nakumatt managers already own some tier 2 supermarkets all over Nairobi.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Iganamagana
#138 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:06:56 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@Lolest

Happening.
Gathige
#139 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:17:57 PM

Iganamagana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Lolest

Happening.

Very true. They even lack basic necessities like milk. The in-house bakers have closed shop in some branches.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
sqft
#140 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:33:11 PM

Gathige wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Lolest

Happening.

Very true. They even lack basic necessities like milk. The in-house bakers have closed shop in some branches.

I stopped shopping there when they stopped stocking my favourite brands of milk, majani chai, sugar etc. They no longer have variety.
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.