Nakumatt: Another ailing Kenyan company
obiero
#181 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:26:30 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Most of their landlords haven't been paid rent for 6 months...word is they are getting together to take action.

This government has presided over the largest economic sabotage in African history.. Over 15,000 jobs lost with countless industries crippled. It's sad really

Nakumatt isn't the government's fault...its the shareholders' at play. Misplaced.

Achana na Obiero

Pure mismanagement & capital flight Sad Sad Sad

So what do we say about Uchumi & Tuskys too.. There is a problem in retail caused by the state of flux in our economy.. Most people now lack buying power. The layoffs in almost all sectors of the economy coupled with a ballooning inflation are cutting supermarkets right at the knees. Nakumatt was a strong brand with quality management. I blame the macro environment, not its shareholders

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Chaka
#182 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:50:59 AM

Some jobs were created hapo Thika to assemble the VW polo..I wonder how many have been sold thus far?
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Most of their landlords haven't been paid rent for 6 months...word is they are getting together to take action.

This government has presided over the largest economic sabotage in African history.. Over 15,000 jobs lost with countless industries crippled. It's sad really

obiero
#183 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:57:11 AM

Chaka wrote:
Some jobs were created hapo Thika to assemble the VW polo..I wonder how many have been sold thus far?
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

I have only seen one of those VWs in these streets

obiero
#184 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:59:12 AM

Chaka wrote:
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

I have only seen one of those VWs in these streets

mulla
#185 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:55:11 PM

obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Nakumatt isn't the government's fault...its the shareholders' at play. Misplaced.

Achana na Obiero

So what do we say about Uchumi & Tuskys too.. There is a problem in retail caused by the state of flux in our economy.. Most people now lack buying power. The layoffs in almost all sectors of the economy coupled with a ballooning inflation are cutting supermarkets right at the knees. Nakumatt was a strong brand with quality management. I blame the macro environment, not its shareholders

Uchumi....really...How is gross mismanagement and theft by top management the governments fault. Nakumatt was also a mismanaged supermarket and the chickens have come home to roost. Even in their ''hey days'' it would take them more than one year to pay ''non-essential'' suppliers. Plus they had unwarranted rapid expansion in practically every mall being built.
Naivas, Quickmart, Tuskys are currently on expansion mode given the right location. So how has the government interfered with their expansion??
Euge
#186 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:39:43 PM

The story of nakumatt is very sad. In January I went to mega to buy spinach and kales and there was none. That didn't get me thinking. I would never have imagined that this could happen to Nakumatt.

They should have been brave enough to close "non performing" branches. Like the one near taj mall. Has there been too much theft? The auditor who was shot dead comes to mind.May he rest in everlasting peace.
Lord, thank you!
obiero
#187 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:46:27 PM

mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Achana na Obiero

Uchumi....really...How is gross mismanagement and theft by top management the governments fault. Nakumatt was also a mismanaged supermarket and the chickens have come home to roost. Even in their ''hey days'' it would take them more than one year to pay ''non-essential'' suppliers. Plus they had unwarranted rapid expansion in practically every mall being built.
Naivas, Quickmart, Tuskys are currently on expansion mode given the right location. So how has the government interfered with their expansion??

The fact that Ciano and Co walk the streets as if nothing happened, while an auditor rests six feet under, says it all. We can all bury our heads in the sand and sing kumbayah but the fact remains that government in this country and the continent at large has by and large failed the populace. The other supermarkets are merely enjoying the space created by absence of the former retailers.. It's sad

Ericsson
#188 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:00:46 PM

obiero wrote:
mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Achana na Obiero

The fact that Ciano and Co walk the streets as if nothing happened, while an auditor rests six feet under, says it all. We can all bury our heads in the sand and sing kumbayah but the fact remains that government in this country and the continent at large has by and large failed the populace. The other supermarkets are merely enjoying the space created by absence of the former retailers.. It's sad

Very True Sir Obiero
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
kayhara
#189 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:00:30 PM

The former MD of Nakumatt (ramma--something) recently tweeted about the mismanagement and unplanned withdrawal of cash by owners, family fights, and deviation from core business etc as the main cause of Nakumatt fall, not rapid expansion as many would think, add to that the shady connection to tilley or is it tilly and imperial bank.things got even thicker when Mwau left.
To Each His Own
sitaki.kujulikana
#190 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:12:44 PM

I think they were bewitched, uchawi is real.
Ericsson
#191 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:00:40 PM

Bankers, suppliers and retailers today petitioned Trade PS Chris Kiptoo to intervene on their behalf to have Nakumatt settle outstanding debts
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
KulaRaha
#192 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:49:48 AM

kayhara wrote:
The former MD of Nakumatt (ramma--something) recently tweeted about the mismanagement and unplanned withdrawal of cash by owners, family fights, and deviation from core business etc as the main cause of Nakumatt fall, not rapid expansion as many would think, add to that the shady connection to tilley or is it tilly and imperial bank.things got even thicker when Mwau left.

Pls share the tweet...is he on Twitter?
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Kausha
#193 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:51:43 AM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
obiero wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Achana na Obiero

Very True Sir Obiero

Nakumatt expanded using short to medium term debt heavily skewed towards short term. Unfortunately Chase and IMperial happened and the short term debt they enjoyed in the commercial space dried up (a lot of depositors in Chase and Imperial were investors in the Nakumatt CP). They paid down the CP from Kshs 8.5Billion to Kshs 4Billion in 2016 while servicing the bank debt from 13B to 8.5B. In total they paid 9 Billion from their operations. They had no choice either pay or got defaulted.

Sales in 2016 were down 15% on account of our new found betting craze and state of the economy. This has not happened to them since they went mainstream in Nairobi.

Obiero you are right, the economy is seriously struggling and all the retailers are feeling the heat. The next big supermarket will start wailing very shortly and the other is not too far.

However we will probably see Nakumatt shrinking coverage to survive a not so good sign of the state of the economy.Sad Sad
#194 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:14:25 PM

Malls hosting Nakumatt are now feeling the pinch. Supermarket are the biggest pullers to malls and a failing supermarket is a liability to a mall. Tenants at The Junction Mall are complaining of reduced business and hope the French giant Carrefour could be able to replace Nakumatt at the Junction Mall.

BBI will solve it
:)
KulaRaha
#195 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:15:35 PM

2012 wrote:
Malls hosting Nakumatt are now feeling the pinch. Supermarket are the biggest pullers to malls and a failing supermarket is a liability to a mall. Tenants at The Junction Mall are complaining of reduced business and hope the French giant Carrefour could be able to replace Nakumatt at the Junction Mall.

Same story from Village Market, but I think the construction and the two new malls nearby may have also contributed.

BTW they are in rent arrears there as well.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
streetwise
#196 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:57:39 PM

Lakini We're didn't these guys take the money to ?????
maka
#197 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:15:38 PM

streetwise wrote:

WalidIshi...
possunt quia posse videntur
mlennyma
#198 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:55:42 PM

maka wrote:
streetwise wrote:

WalidIshi...

Thank God the ipo had not come,many could have been shafted seriously
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Caveman
#199 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:37:12 PM

mlennyma wrote:
maka wrote:
streetwise wrote:

WalidIshi...

Thank God the ipo had not come,many could have been shafted seriously

I parked in front of Nakumatt Mega yesterday evening for only five minutes. I came back and found the corner light had been removed. I called toyota today to ask for the price on a new corner light. It is KES31,000. I now understand why thieves should be lynched.
Chaka
#200 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:29:22 PM

Pole,
why would you want to buy a new one,when a used one could be 5K?And I suppose there is a warning sign at that parkin about "Vehicles parked at the owners risk"?
[unquote=Caveman]
I parked in front of Nakumatt Mega yesterday evening for only five minutes. I came back and found the corner light had been removed. I called toyota today to ask for the price on a new corner light. It is KES31,000. I now understand why thieves should be lynched.[/quote]