wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
With Oil in Turkana, Why Are We Still Importing It?
EngineerLMG
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:17:48 PM

Reading this article was the last straw for me, and I can't continue being silent.

So, could someone please explain to me why it seems like we're not gonna consume our Turkanese oil locally?

The way I see it, it'll save us lots of money if we refine that oil and sell it to Kenyans and other EACans, and do away with imports from the UAE. I think it makes more economic sense to do that, than to just export it.

Petroleum and its products currently accounts for 23% of our import expenditures.

Why don't we just do away with this importation? Why can't we just build a refinery hapo Eldoret or Turkana and use the products locally?

I'm not an economist, but I think using our own oil will help bring about - whatchamacallit? - a favourable balance of trade.

Is it that nobody has asked National Oil or the government this question? Is this a political issue? Did the government sign a long-term agreement with UAE to always buy oil from it, meaning that we'll keep buying from the emirs whether or not we have our own reserves?

Please school me, because maybe I'm just assuming that this thing is really simple when it's not.

Thanks.
Musimo
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:55:28 PM

EngineerLMG wrote:
Reading this article was the last straw for me, and I can't continue being silent.

So, could someone please explain to me why it seems like we're not gonna consume our Turkanese oil locally?

The way I see it, it'll save us lots of money if we refine that oil and sell it to Kenyans and other EACans, and do away with imports from the UAE. I think it makes more economic sense to do that, than to just export it.

Petroleum and its products currently accounts for 23% of our import expenditures.

Why don't we just do away with this importation? Why can't we just build a refinery hapo Eldoret or Turkana and use the products locally?

I'm not an economist, but I think using our own oil will help bring about - whatchamacallit? - a favourable balance of trade.

Is it that nobody has asked National Oil or the government this question? Is this a political issue? Did the government sign a long-term agreement with UAE to always buy oil from it, meaning that we'll keep buying from the emirs whether or not we have our own reserves?

Please school me, because maybe I'm just assuming that this thing is really simple when it's not.

Thanks.

1. Outdated refinery at mombasa, can only process middle eastern crude. A renovation and updating was mooted,but found to be damn expensive compared to building a new one from scratch.
2. Plans are underway for a refinery at either isiolo or Lamu to serve the entire region in competition with the Ugandan refinery, plus refine all and sundry fuels in the region/world.
3. Such infrastructure takes a long time to develop, including the oil fields, thus a feasibility report is required to confirm viability of the project.

What else have I left out?
kayhara
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:10:52 PM

Well this might not be accurate but, the cost of building a new refinery is huge plus our deposits are not that much to warrant such an investment, the refinery in Mombasa was built to refine a different kind of crude, we are told that the Turkana oil is waxy making it a challenge to refine and transport, I remember that the pipeline was to be heated to allow for the waxy oil.
Uhuru's plan is to export I guess he has already found a market but not sure if the price is right to break even, Kenya also tried screwing with our neighbours Uganda and SS, who would have made viable investments in a refinery and pipeline, I guess even the pipeline we said that we would build on our own will be cancelled just like the airport terminal, all in all this is Kenya.
To Each His Own
kawi254
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:34:38 PM

kayhara wrote:
Well this might not be accurate but, the cost of building a new refinery is huge plus our deposits are not that much to warrant such an investment, the refinery in Mombasa was built to refine a different kind of crude, we are told that the Turkana oil is waxy making it a challenge to refine and transport, I remember that the pipeline was to be heated to allow for the waxy oil.
Uhuru's plan is to export I guess he has already found a market but not sure if the price is right to break even, Kenya also tried screwing with our neighbours Uganda and SS, who would have made viable investments in a refinery and pipeline, I guess even the pipeline we said that we would build on our own will be cancelled just like the airport terminal, all in all this is Kenya.

There are 74 illegal oil refineries in Niger delta. Instead of exporting the Turkana oil si we just let 'wanjiku' do small refineries? Our people have proven they can distil changaa running pipes across rivers....hehehe
enyands
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:50:17 PM

Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

1. Outdated refinery at mombasa, can only process middle eastern crude. A renovation and updating was mooted,but found to be damn expensive compared to building a new one from scratch.
2. Plans are underway for a refinery at either isiolo or Lamu to serve the entire region in competition with the Ugandan refinery, plus refine all and sundry fuels in the region/world.
3. Such infrastructure takes a long time to develop, including the oil fields, thus a feasibility report is required to confirm viability of the project.

So musimo tuendelee ku import will be cheaper? If that's the case why do we have oil? Just to sell to other countries, we are having oil to benefit other countries and not us?
Realtreaty
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:15:20 PM

EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Shinyanga Diamond mines Tanzania....how many Tanzanians wear diamonds by virtue they mine it? Gold in Musoma Tanzania...how many Tanzanias other than Ali Kiba show off their golden necks?
Now Turkanese Oil......Tullow, Africa oil etc share holders are the stake holders and thier will be done!!!
TheGeek
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:36:11 PM

Quote:
Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

So musimo tuendelee ku import will be cheaper? If that's the case why do we have oil? Just to sell to other countries, we are having oil to benefit other countries and not us?

Quality and quantity.
The saudis and iranians can output at 2-5usd barrel. They have nearly unlimited supply.
our breakeven is 50usd
and its been determined we will output a meager 2k barrel per day.

Read this http://www.nation.co.ke/...html-102gyv9/index.html
fanya feasibility study.
In the world of securities, courage and patience become the supreme virtues after adequate knowledge and a tested judgment are at hand.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:36:05 PM

enyands wrote:
Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

If one is looking for reasons to not develop the oil locally then one will find numerous. However there is also a case for refining it locally and that's what I would advocate for.

Why can't we develop a modern refinery at Turkana, develop a crude oil pipeline to Lamu. then buy the better quality crude oil (i guess Brent?) and mix with our sludge to make our own petroleum products.

We are a population of 40 Mil soon to hit 50 mil, with an effective market of less than 20%. but our gava thinks like some gishagi primary school Board/PTA.

Our economic potential is unlimited, we just need to trust ourselves and go for it.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
The Great
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:54:00 PM

At some point Wazuan's will have start exploiting these opportunities as private investors. Unda chama,biz plan, leverage kidogo, tiny refinery done. Bure hizi ni gossip
"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
Musimo
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:36:32 PM

enyands wrote:
Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

@Enyands I have not said we continue to import. If it were my choice, the mombasa refinery would be renovated by now. But since new is always better,apart from alcohol and cheese, what option do we have? Hence point number 2 above.
Musimo
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:40:02 PM

TheGeek wrote:
Quote:
Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

Quality and quantity.
The saudis and iranians can output at 2-5usd barrel. They have nearly unlimited supply.
our breakeven is 50usd
and its been determined we will output a meager 2k barrel per day.

Read this http://www.nation.co.ke/...html-102gyv9/index.html
fanya feasibility study.

Kenya's break-even price is 25-30 usd. Break even in the sense that you have paid for everything until it gets to the market. Selling at 50+ usd means you have churned a profit. I believe the article says the same.
Impunity
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:16:12 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
enyands wrote:
Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

If one is looking for reasons to not develop the oil locally then one will find numerous. However there is also a case for refining it locally and that's what I would advocate for.

Why can't we develop a modern refinery at Turkana, develop a crude oil pipeline to Lamu. then buy the better quality crude oil (i guess Brent?) and mix with our sludge to make our own petroleum products.

We are a population of 40 Mil soon to hit 50 mil, with an effective market of less than 20%. but our gava thinks like some gishagi primary school Board/PTA.

Our economic potential is unlimited, we just need to trust ourselves and go for it.

To be a heated waxy crude oil pipeline from Turkana to Lamu will not happen...it happening is a snow ball chance in hell.

It would be damn expensive and coupled with our perenial power shortages, it will be dead before arriving in Mogotio.

The better chnace is to build a refinery at Turkana then pipe the refined products to Lamu on a normal pipeline...or connect the new Turkana pipeline with the Eldoret line.

That coal elect gen in Lamu should be up and running if we are to get enough electricity...the Geothermals though economical and clean, are taking long to develop.

Before we have a heated line we should be talking about supplus electricity.

By the way I would rather we burn that crude oil in Turkana in Thermal generators and produce electricity to be used in the country.
The middle eastern countries burn crude oild to get their supplus electricity, they are also burn natural gas.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Obi 1 Kanobi
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:29:41 PM

Impunity wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
enyands wrote:
Musimo wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:

Thanks.

To be a heated waxy crude oil pipeline from Turkana to Lamu will not happen...it happening is a snow ball chance in hell.

It would be damn expensive and coupled with our perenial power shortages, it will be dead before arriving in Mogotio.

The better chnace is to build a refinery at Turkana then pipe the refined products to Lamu on a normal pipeline...or connect the new Turkana pipeline with the Eldoret line.

That coal elect gen in Lamu should be up and running if we are to get enough electricity...the Geothermals though economical and clean, are taking long to develop.

Before we have a heated line we should be talking about supplus electricity.

By the way I would rather we burn that crude oil in Turkana in Thermal generators and produce electricity to be used in the country.
The middle eastern countries burn crude oild to get their supplus electricity, they are also burn natural gas.

Aren't we saying the same thing. We build a pipeline to transport lighter better quality crude from Lamu to Turkana, mix it with our shit and produce better quality petroleum products. the diff being we don't need to heat the pipe.

Our current daily consumption is a paltry 120BPD or thereabouts, when we move to middle income status, this will easily triple or quadruple to 500BPD minimum. We will need more oil so we either develop ours or lose more forex.

Have we considered the fact that we may get much lower prices for our oil than the indicated world crude prices due to quality. As with the pipeline, a tanker ferrying the crude to market will need to be heated as well?
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
quadc
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:32:33 AM

They should put up a refinery at Turkana. The Chadians were determined to build one and ignored the viability stories even after several countries declined to finance. Chinese came to the rescue and in less than 5 years djarmaya oil refinery and with over 300KM pipeline was up and running.
Museveni even took some engineers wajionee as he is determined to have one in Hoima.
Then we can use that waxy bitumen to make a freeway from Turkana to Lamu
mkate_nusu
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:03:07 AM

quadc wrote:
They should put up a refinery at Turkana. The Chadians were determined to build one and ignored the viability stories even after several countries declined to finance. Chinese came to the rescue and in less than 5 years djarmaya oil refinery and with over 300KM pipeline was up and running.
Museveni even took some engineers wajionee as he is determined to have one in Hoima.

unfortunately the policy makers are suffering from primitive thinking due to sizes of their brains or have no real intention to get us out of poverty
KEGN, KPLC, KQ, SCOM
T-Bag
#16 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2019 2:09:09 PM

mkate_nusu wrote:
quadc wrote:

unfortunately the policy makers are suffering from primitive thinking due to sizes of their brains or have no real intention to get us out of poverty

On point, just discovered that the world's largest oil producer is USA and not the usual middle eastern Arabs courtesy of fracking (Hydraulic fracturing from shale rock).

Why was Kenya not able to float a sovereign bond (good appetite at this) build our own infrastructure from gound up i.e. feasibility, exploration, mining technology, marketing etc?
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
kawi254
#17 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2019 4:19:57 PM

T-Bag wrote:
mkate_nusu wrote:
quadc wrote:

On point, just discovered that the world's largest oil producer is USA and not the usual middle eastern Arabs courtesy of fracking (Hydraulic fracturing from shale rock).

Why was Kenya not able to float a sovereign bond (good appetite at this) build our own infrastructure from gound up i.e. feasibility, exploration, mining technology, marketing etc?

The billions lost in non-existent Arror & Kimwarer dams means we can take a loss in having a local refinery for local consumption but that again will create a new avenue for lost billions.

A local black Ghanaian owned company drilled and discovered some 1.5 billion barrels of Oil offshore Ghana coast in August 2019....

clearly trucking oil from Turkana to Mombasa is not profitable so what is the reason we are doing this?
murchr
#18 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2019 5:48:28 PM

kawi254 wrote:
T-Bag wrote:
mkate_nusu wrote:
quadc wrote:

The billions lost in non-existent Arror & Kimwarer dams means we can take a loss in having a local refinery for local consumption but that again will create a new avenue for lost billions.

A local black Ghanaian owned company drilled and discovered some 1.5 billion barrels of Oil offshore Ghana coast in August 2019....

clearly trucking oil from Turkana to Mombasa is not profitable so what is the reason we are doing this?

How much oil is currently being extracted?

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
sparkly
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2019 8:35:53 PM

quadc wrote:

Who are "they"? Do you realize that anyone with the money and expertise is free to put up an oil refinery at Turkana? In short, if you have the money and technical expertise or you can convince people with money and expertise to do so, go to Turkana and put up the refinery.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#20 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2019 6:47:40 AM

kawi254 wrote:
T-Bag wrote:
mkate_nusu wrote:
quadc wrote:

Look at it the other way.
Who has the tender to do the trucking
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle