wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Kenya sevens 2016-2017
Alba
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:15:26 PM

After the disastrous campaign in Rio, the coaching staff including Benja has been sidelined.

KRFU are now trying to convince New Zealand Legend Gordon Tietjens to take over

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...etjens-sevens-knowledge

Good move I think. Kenya needs a task master. That Rio performance was shoddy and I have a gut feeling that it happened because team Kenya went to Rio to party while kina Japan were dead serious.

We need a disciplinarian. Some of these coaches we have had in the past may be too close to the players. If they cannot get Tietjens then someone else of similar ilk.

And Dubai sevens is only about 2 months away.
chemirocha
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:00:34 AM

Alba wrote:
After the disastrous campaign in Rio, the coaching staff including Benja has been sidelined.

KRFU are now trying to convince New Zealand Legend Gordon Tietjens to take over

http://www.stuff.co.nz/s...etjens-sevens-knowledge

Good move I think. Kenya needs a task master. That Rio performance was shoddy and I have a gut feeling that it happened because team Kenya went to Rio to party while kina Japan were dead serious.

We need a disciplinarian. Some of these coaches we have had in the past may be too close to the players. If they cannot get Tietjens then someone else of similar ilk.

And Dubai sevens is only about 2 months away.

Kenyan sevens needs the organisation from the time of Mike Friday. In my opinion Benja has always been limited as a coach at that level.
Alba
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:16:51 PM

After Rio, the Standard interviewed "Tank" Otieno and he said that going to Rio 2 weeks before kickoff was a mistake because there are too many things in that city to distract players.

Tietjens is a good choice as he will bring structure and discipline.
Alba
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:20:33 PM

I see that neither Kayange nor Injera has been included in the latest Kenya squad. Is this the end of an era for those two? Remember how Injera posted a defiant message on his social media pages after the Brazil debacle. Maybe he has had enough.

http://www.michezoafrika...-of-weekend-action/23790
Alba
#5 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 6:00:47 PM

Benja confirms that the team was not focused in Rio
Also as usual, KRFU officials wanted to eat the money that was supposed to go to players.

Quote:
Benjamin Otieno Ayimba is a man under siege.

This comes after the Kenya National Rugby Sevens team failed to sparkle at the Rio 2016 Olympics. Ayimba whose position as coach has since been declared vacant, says he has no regrets whatsoever and is ready to take full responsibility for the team’s poor show in Rio.

We went to Brazil way too early, the boys lost it along the way. Our spark just died during the 16 days even before getting to the pitch,” Ayimba explains.

“Working under National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) was one of the most challenging tasks in my decade-long coaching career. Our broke union sold us off to Nock who were not willing to listen to any of our grievances.”

The Nairobian has learnt that despite the poor show, some of the Kenya Sevens players were paid over Sh2 million before even boarding the plane to Rio de Janeiro.

Tier one players received Sh1.2 million from President Uhuru, plus an additional Sh750,000 from the Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts, besides Sh60,000 local allowances.

In total, tier one players took home at least Sh 2.01 million each while tier two players were paid approximately Sh1.73 million each.

All funds were directly wired into the players’ accounts by the government. Ayimba claims he is now being hunted by the union for being too close to State House and often speaking freely with President Uhuru.

“Upon our return from Brazil, the union summoned me for a review of the season, but to my shock, the meeting turned into a vetting session with directors asking why I went to State House and how much the boys were paid.

Some wanted to know why the money was not directly paid to the union which is the employer. But how could we trust them after they deducted over 30 per cent of the Sh10 million President Uhuru awarded the team upon winning the Singapore Sevens?” Ayimba posed.
Alba
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:42:28 PM

So after they raised our hopes with Tietjens, they are about to hire Pablo. He was a heck of a player but his coaching credentials are missing.

http://www.the-star.co.k...murunga-tipped_c1435502

Obi 1 Kanobi
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 10:46:37 AM

I hope they select Namcos as an assistant.

Done. And he gets to learn from the maestro himself. Gordon Tietjens.

Great times to be a rugby supporter in Kenya
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Alba
#8 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 1:43:14 AM

Yenyewe KRFU are jokers. How do you announce the hiring of Tietjens before confirming with him?
Njung'e
#9 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 7:39:10 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
I hope they select Namcos as an assistant.

Done. And he gets to learn from the maestro himself. Gordon Tietjens.

Great times to be a rugby supporter in Kenya

Dead on arrivalSad Sad Sad
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Alba
#10 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 8:52:46 PM

Namcos is the new coach. I am not aware of any head coaching experience he has. This seems like an experiment. Kenya fans may live to regret.

In the years I have beeen watching sevens, the only local coach who has been satisfactory was Benja.

The others were below par. All those experiements went awry.
murchr
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 05, 2017 10:14:09 PM

Wazees need to retire now
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Alba
#12 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 3:06:37 AM

Excellent try saving tackle by one of the wazee saved Kenya against France.
maka
#13 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 9:30:40 AM

Alba wrote:
Namcos is the new coach. I am not aware of any head coaching experience he has. This seems like an experiment. Kenya fans may live to regret.

In the years I have beeen watching sevens, the only local coach who has been satisfactory was Benja.

The others were below par. All those experiements went awry.

You were very right...
possunt quia posse videntur
Alba
#14 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 4:05:20 PM

Better performance this time compared with Sydney where they lost to Russia and Canada and finished in 15th place. Kenya is now in 11th place in the standings. Still far behind where they used to be.
Alba
#15 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 2:05:41 AM

Kenya lost 26-7 to Samoa in the challenge semis. Now on to Hong Kong
Coolio
#16 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 6:41:29 AM

Shujaa might be relegated if it continues with loosing streak!
Nadondosha meli kubwa seuze ngalawa!
sitaki.kujulikana
#17 Posted : Friday, April 07, 2017 3:45:44 PM

what happened to the kenyans, wanachapwa tu, hata the energy and spirit (matimoni) hakuna, its as if they are appearing just for the sake.
Alba
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 08, 2017 5:29:50 PM

This was a good chance to qualify for the main cup quarter-finals. Kenya blew it. To much inconsistency..
Ryko
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 08, 2017 9:10:09 PM

What exactly did Ayimba do? i heard he was being paid by each player a certain amount of money after ensuring the statehouse cash went directly to the players accounts. I am not sure!!

Anyway i think at this rate, we are doomed. Ayimba was better, the rugby frenzy is fading....i was a fun,Goodbye 7s
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
maka
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 09, 2017 11:54:43 AM

Playing Scotland shortly...finals challenge trophy.
possunt quia posse videntur