wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Tanzania Money Market
Liv
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:54:07 AM

I have noted the TB rates for Tz are circa 15-16% for 182 and 364 days. These look attractive now given what is happening in Kenya despite the forex risk.

Anyone in this forum, a non Tz citizen who has invested in Tbills/bonds in Tz? How do you go about it?
Liv
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:07:14 PM

@ Maka, you are more in bonds and TBs. what is your take on the Tz money market?
Sober
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2016 10:12:45 AM

Liv wrote:

@ Maka, you are more in bonds and TBs. what is your take on the Tz money market?

The challenge with that market are the volumes traded. Even on the normal securities exchange take for instance yesterday only 6 companies traded with 58 deals executed. Bonds market I bet those guys just read the newspaper most of the days.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
Impunity
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2016 10:16:25 AM

Sober wrote:
Liv wrote:

The challenge with that market are the volumes traded. Even on the normal securities exchange take for instance yesterday only 6 companies traded with 58 deals executed. Bonds market I bet those guys just read the newspaper most of the days.

I think you can do it through your bank...

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

UpcomingPaperChaser
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2016 11:52:53 PM

Dont invest in Tanzania, they will find ways of ensuring that you loose everything because of the suspicions towards Kenyans. For instance, if you want to open a bank account where the money will be transfered from, you must have a valid passport and a work permit, which could cost about 2,000 Dollars!!

They have very skewed rules and regulations i tell you,
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
Liv
#6 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 1:52:01 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
Dont invest in Tanzania, they will find ways of ensuring that you loose everything because of the suspicions towards Kenyans. For instance, if you want to open a bank account where the money will be transfered from, you must have a valid passport and a work permit, which could cost about 2,000 Dollars!!

Are you talking from experience or from what you've heard?
You have examples of instances where investors from Kenya were mistreated and lost money?
Lolest!
#7 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 7:35:46 AM

Liv wrote:

You have examples of instances where investors from Kenya were mistreated and lost money?

The guy works in Tz
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Felipe
#8 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 9:32:32 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Liv wrote:

The guy works in Tz

From DSE, I hold CRDB, Swissport and lately DSE. I held these shares since 2013. The bank of choice is CRDB and lately Equity TZ. The stockbroker is Orbit Securities. I have never lost my money. Unlike NSE which operates with nominee accounts, DSE still issues share certificates. After a successful, IPO, DSE will in due time upgrade their systems. TCX (Tanzania Commodity Exchange) will from Sept, 2016 be in operation.
TA = Price Action + Vol + S/R + Trend + Pattern.
The Great
#9 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:09:52 AM

Its already sept 16 @Felipe
"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
Liv
#10 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:18:12 AM

Felipe wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Liv wrote:

The guy works in Tz

From DSE, I hold CRDB, Swissport and lately DSE. I held these shares since 2013. The bank of choice is CRDB and lately Equity TZ. The stockbroker is Orbit Securities. I have never lost my money. Unlike NSE which operates with nominee accounts, DSE still issues share certificates. After a successful, IPO, DSE will in due time upgrade their systems. TCX (Tanzania Commodity Exchange) will from Sept, 2016 be in operation.

@Felipe, thanks for this.... Good information.
As a Kenyan what identification documents does the DSE require from you? Do they allow foreigners to just buy any shares without limitations? I am aware there are many limitations with regard to land.

You said the bank of choice is CRDB..... Do you mean as a customer or shareholder? Why do you recommend them?
maka
#11 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:20:18 AM

Liv wrote:

http://www.bot.go.tz/Fin...BillsAuctionSummary.asp

Never ventured huko but looks very promising...Locally rates are bound to drop esp after signing of that interest rate bill,papers (IFBs) that were trading around 13.40% pre signing are now at 12.60-12.40% levels...plenty of bids all around 0 offers.
possunt quia posse videntur
maka
#12 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:22:47 AM

Liv wrote:
Felipe wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Liv wrote:

The guy works in Tz

As a Kenyan what identification documents does the DSE require from you? Do they allow foreigners to just buy any shares without limitations? I am aware there are many limitations with regard to land.

You said the bank of choice is CRDB..... Do you mean as a customer or shareholder? Why do you recommend them?

IMPORTANT: Earlier investment in Government Securities was restricted only to Tanzanian Citizens; but now East African Residents are allowed to invest into Government Securities up to a limit of 40%.
Metasploit
#13 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:27:18 AM

maka wrote:
Liv wrote:
Felipe wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Liv wrote:

The guy works in Tz

IMPORTANT: Earlier investment in Government Securities was restricted only to Tanzanian Citizens; but now East African Residents are allowed to invest into Government Securities up to a limit of 40%.

All is well in investing in DSE and govet securities.
However the DSE is very illiquid as compared to NSE

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
Liv
#14 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:27:51 AM

@Maka, good information.
Does a Kenyan need to open a bank account with a Tz bank in order to open an account with the Bank of Tanzania? Or my Kenyan bank account is acceptable?
maka
#15 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:38:09 AM

Liv wrote:
@Maka, good information.
Does a Kenyan need to open a bank account with a Tz bank in order to open an account with the Bank of Tanzania? Or my Kenyan bank account is acceptable?

I think the procedure is the same so having a TZ bank account is necessary...Let me ask...
maka
#16 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:40:19 AM

Liv wrote:
@Maka, good information.

I think the procedure is the same so having a TZ bank account is necessary...Let me ask...
maka
#17 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:45:52 AM

maka wrote:
Liv wrote:
@Maka, good information.

http://www.bot.go.tz/Fin...SECURITIES%20ACCOUNT.pdf
Felipe
#18 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:49:06 AM

Liv wrote:
Felipe wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Liv wrote:

The guy works in Tz

DSE does carter for foreign investors esp after the 60% cap for foreign ownership was lifted in 2014. The usual documentation to identify you will be needed at the broker’s office for you to open an account.

Steps:
1. Complete the CDS Account Opening Form
2. Complete the Broker’s Account Opening Form
3. Photocopy your passport or ID (in this case, Kenyan)
Step 1,2 and 3 can be done via email with the your stockbroker. Once they confirm your CDS account is opened. You can wire funds to your Brokerage Account. Using the slip as evidence, attach the same and submit a trade order.

I'm both a client and investor of CRDB. My stockbroker holds an account with them, so processing of my dividends etc takes a day unlike Equity TZ which takes 5 days. CRDB is a stable bank. It's comparable to Equity Bank in Kenya. You need to open a Tz Bank
TA = Price Action + Vol + S/R + Trend + Pattern.
Liv
#19 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:52:37 AM

maka wrote:
maka wrote:
[quote=Liv]@Maka, good information.

http://www.bot.go.tz/Fin...ECURITIES%20ACCOUNT.pdf[/quote]

@Maka, Many thanks, great information. I think you have to have a TZ bank account to open a CDS account with the BOT.
Liv
#20 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:55:24 AM

Felipe wrote:
Liv wrote:
Felipe wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Liv wrote:

The guy works in Tz

DSE does carter for foreign investors esp after the 60% cap for foreign ownership was lifted in 2014.

The usual documentation to identify you will be needed at the broker’s office for you to open an account.

Steps:
1. Complete the CDS Account Opening Form
2. Complete the Broker’s Account Opening Form
3. Photocopy your passport or ID (in this case, Kenyan)
Step 1,2 and 3 can be done via email with the your stockbroker. Once they confirm your CDS account is opened. You can wire funds to your Brokerage Account. Using the slip as evidence, attach the same and submit a trade order.

I'm both a client and investor of CRDB. My stockbroker holds an account with them, so processing of my dividends etc takes a day unlike Equity TZ which takes 5 days. CRDB is a stable bank. It's comparable to Equity Bank in Kenya. You need to open a Tz Bank

Thanks. Do you need to be introduced to open a bank account at CRDB?