wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
How I'm surviving the brutal NSE bear run
wukan
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 3:05:33 PM

Poleni...lakini you were warned about the interest rate cap, about the debt build up, about river road economics...yote tisa bora uhai!!
Ebenyo
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 3:20:44 PM

Fyatu wrote:
I am managing my blood sugar pole pole reflecting on the years that have been. My entire portfolio is 50%(on average) in the negative with some counters at -ve 90% while others have been suspended with no communication at all(read Atlas Africa Industries). The winter has been long and dark. Money has been hard to come by as usual(economics 101: Money is scarce by nature). From the look of things, there is no respite in the near future. Books have been cooked and continue to be cooked with impunity. Profit warnings still persist.

What baffles me is that counters that not so long did rights issues at a whooping 30bob are now trading at 4.50bob others whose rights were floated 19.5 bob are now selling for 3 bob.When i think of these wonders of the world that only happen in Kenya, i derive solace that i am not alone. There are many others nursing their sukari quietly and not sleeping at night.

Sometimes i wish i just kept my money under the mattress and not attempted chasing the Kenyan dream.

How are you surviving?

@fyatu,dont regret.Stock market is one of the best place to grow wealth over time.
Its true you are not alone.The bear is rough to everyone.
Take heart and view it as a lesson.I first joined NSE through safaricom IPO of 2008.i was among the many green wanjikus who bought their first shares then.I also bought other shares till 2012 and sold everything at some losses.
I came back in 2015 with determination to become wealthy through NSE.
I started a fresh slowly and im growing with confidence as each day goes by.
Over those years,i have learnt some few lessons:
a) Put money in the stock money that you can afford to loose.The kind of money that if it drops from your pocket you will not stress up.
These also involves money that you may not need anytime soon.
b)Stock market requires patience.Im currently buying safaricom at 23 yet there was a time it was 2.50!.These means you need to be patient and give it time.
c) Take time to do proper reasearch on any company before buying it.Avoid sentiments and herd mentality.
@fyatu,i will encourage you to never give up.
Im here to make wealth for me and my children and i will only strive with many challenges and obstacles.Cheer up and relax.avoid stress.

Towards the goal of financial freedom
Fyatu
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 4:06:10 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
I am managing my blood sugar pole pole reflecting on the years that have been. My entire portfolio is 50%(on average) in the negative with some counters at -ve 90% while others have been suspended with no communication at all(read Atlas Africa Industries). The winter has been long and dark. Money has been hard to come by as usual(economics 101: Money is scarce by nature). From the look of things, there is no respite in the near future. Books have been cooked and continue to be cooked with impunity. Profit warnings still persist.

What baffles me is that counters that not so long did rights issues at a whooping 30bob are now trading at 4.50bob others whose rights were floated 19.5 bob are now selling for 3 bob.When i think of these wonders of the world that only happen in Kenya, i derive solace that i am not alone. There are many others nursing their sukari quietly and not sleeping at night.

Sometimes i wish i just kept my money under the mattress and not attempted chasing the Kenyan dream.

How are you surviving?

@fyatu,dont regret.Stock market is one of the best place to grow wealth over time.
Take heart and view it as a lesson.I first joined NSE through safaricom IPO of 2008.i was among the many green wanjikus who bought their first shares then.I also bought other shares till 2012 and sold everything at some losses.
a) Put money in the stock money that you can afford to loose.The kind of money that if it drops from your pocket you will not stress up.
b)Stock market requires patience.Im currently buying safaricom at 23 yet there was a time it was 2.50!.These means you need to be patient and give it time.
c) Take time to do proper reasearch on any company before buying it.Avoid sentiments and herd mentality.
Im here to make wealth for me and my children and i will only strive with many challenges and obstacles.Cheer up and relax.avoid stress.

Thank you @Ebenyo. I am a seasoned investor.I have sat out a number of bears in the NSE and i am sitting out this one while averaging down pole pole....however, interst rate cap,alap looto, madeni, unethical behaviour at NSE(remember the recent Aly Khan insider trading manenos/KPLC legendary royco mchuzi mix,mumias etc). gloom and doom
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
rwitre
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 4:15:34 PM

Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Pole sana. There are plenty of NSE investors underwater. I wish I could say that the rout was almost over, but the policy makers in our country don't seem particularly keen on improving the state of things, as long as they can keep raiding government coffers to sustain their families.

There's a lot of negative sentiment which will only be reversed when the companies begin posting good numbers- but considering the profit warnings from even cash-rich blue chips, that is not likely any time soon.

- Defend your holdings by averaging down on stable/well-run firms.
- Write off the monkeys (or ignore them till they jump)
- Peleka family vacation/upcountry Christmas stress iishe
- Build a warchest in readiness for 2019 results' release, and board the buses that have passed strict inspection.

Ebenyo
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 5:09:45 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Thank you @Ebenyo. I am a seasoned investor.I have sat out a number of bears in the NSE and i am sitting out this one while averaging down pole pole....however, interst rate cap,alap looto, madeni, unethical behaviour at NSE(remember the recent Aly Khan insider trading manenos/KPLC legendary royco mchuzi mix,mumias etc). gloom and doom

Im also averaging down on kplc.I was very disapointed to miss a dividend.But i will make sure im exiting with a good profit.I first bought kplc last year at 10.00 but my current average is 4.90.i want to beat the market and then exit.This no matter the time it will take.
Other than this my other stocks dont look bad atleast fundamentally.
The husler factor is a monster to everyone.But with time i think we will develop mechanisms to cope.
Fyatu
#26 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 5:37:46 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Im also averaging down on kplc.I was very disapointed to miss a dividend.But i will make sure im exiting with a good profit.I first bought kplc last year at 10.00 but my current average is 4.90.i want to beat the market and then exit.This no matter the time it will take.
The husler factor is a monster to everyone.But with time i think we will develop mechanisms to cope.

My abp for Kplc is 6 bob. Technically speaking KPLC and Kengen are not a bad investment only that Jubilee has been inconsistent and offcourse too much corruption and roadside decrees. Personally, i don't think hustler will steal anything when he becomes PORK.The burden will be on him to clean his image.Besides, institutions like auditor general and other whistle blowers are becoming more bolder as we progress as a nation.I also have some KCB and other popular stocks amongst wazuans and investment funds etc(even though you can never have a five bagger with popular stocks). I can say my portfolio is widely diversified and proud that my investment philosophy is my own and that i buy what i know and see
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
heri
#27 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:36:20 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

My abp for Kplc is 6 bob. Technically speaking KPLC and Kengen are not a bad investment only that Jubilee has been inconsistent and offcourse too much corruption and roadside decrees. Personally, i don't think hustler will steal anything when he becomes PORK.The burden will be on him to clean his image.Besides, institutions like auditor general and other whistle blowers are becoming more bolder as we progress as a nation.I also have some KCB and other popular stocks amongst wazuans and investment funds etc(even though you can never have a five bagger with popular stocks). I can say my portfolio is widely diversified and proud that my investment philosophy is my own and that i buy what i know and see

No comments. I guess it is good to be an optimist otherwise one can go to depression .
lochaz-index
#28 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:55:10 PM

wukan wrote:
Poleni...lakini you were warned about the interest rate cap, about the debt build up, about river road economics...yote tisa bora uhai!!

Regulatory risk in KE has increased sustantially as GoK finds itself in a vicious cycle of wrong policy actions and the resultant unintended consequences in turn lead to more populist policies. This tends to be an infinite rabbit hole of self sabotage.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
obiero
#29 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 8:09:01 PM

heri wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

No comments. I guess it is good to be an optimist otherwise one can go to depression .

Recession induced depression

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ebenyo
#30 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 2:49:13 PM

https://investinginafric...o-invest-kenyan-stocks/

I hope this helps
muandiwambeu
#31 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 6:45:04 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

Regulatory risk in KE has increased sustantially as GoK finds itself in a vicious cycle of wrong policy actions and the resultant unintended consequences in turn lead to more populist policies. This tends to be an infinite rabbit hole of self sabotage.

Good, and that alone concludes as why touching kengen and kplc will leave in taburrent waters for a while.
Kplc alone will not pay dividends until another policy change is effected. Next financial expect profit warning too. Get a Casio calculator, a squared book and a aim pen. Worker out the figures for the last three years and deduce how tommorow will be. By the end of that exercise, u will have the the right orders to make.
If I buy a haunch of a share, and I can not seat pretty, why binge on it then and then do expect to sleep like a baby, and the vv is always true.
Wise money can not sit pretty without getting hitched, so expect further bleeding and comeback will have to be at sweetened discounts. Expecting turnaround from end of 2019. Then, KQueer will be dead or barely out of hdu.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
mv_ufanisi
#32 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 12:21:44 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

I really don't agree with Ebenyo.

Firstly, the stock market you read about by Warren Buffett and the likes is not the same stock market we have here. They are not the same "animal". Here we have very weak law enforcement, so there are a lot of leakages in shareholder wealth that go unpunished which creates a vicious cycle. So stock market in Kenya and the one in the US are not the same "thing."

My strategy which works very well for me has been to put most of my money i.e. 90% in risk free treasury bills and bonds. Then I use the rest of the money i.e. 10% to set up or invest in very high risk new ventures. The 10% provides me with the potentially unlimited upside while the 90% provides me with a floor beyond which I cannot go under. The way to stay rich is to avoid being poor!

One of the biggest hidden costs of the NSE is that it attracts a lot of smart people, who are over trained and over read for a market with so few investable companies. A lot of companies e.g. EAPC are riddled with corruption and the NSE doesn't really suit an emerging market with a high level of corruption. So it's a big waste that people full of American ideas about the stock market operate in the NSE where a lot of rules learnt from American investors make no sense!

Your intellect, money and time is much better spent creating your own company in stead of fishing in the muddy polluted waters of the NSE.
obiero
#33 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:39:27 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Firstly, the stock market you read about by Warren Buffett and the likes is not the same stock market we have here. They are not the same "animal". Here we have very weak law enforcement, so there are a lot of leakages in shareholder wealth that go unpunished which creates a vicious cycle. So stock market in Kenya and the one in the US are not the same "thing."

My strategy which works very well for me has been to put most of my money i.e. 90% in risk free treasury bills and bonds. Then I use the rest of the money i.e. 10% to set up or invest in very high risk new ventures. The 10% provides me with the potentially unlimited upside while the 90% provides me with a floor beyond which I cannot go under. The way to stay rich is to avoid being poor!

One of the biggest hidden costs of the NSE is that it attracts a lot of smart people, who are over trained and over read for a market with so few investable companies. A lot of companies e.g. EAPC are riddled with corruption and the NSE doesn't really suit an emerging market with a high level of corruption. So it's a big waste that people full of American ideas about the stock market operate in the NSE where a lot of rules learnt from American investors make no sense!

Your intellect, money and time is much better spent creating your own company in stead of fishing in the muddy polluted waters of the NSE.

@mv_ufanisi I owe you KES 1,000 for such a well written post. The NSE now has only 16 investable firms in total.. Can you believe it? I keep a maximum 10% of my total wealth portfolio at the NSE, since it is a place fraught with high uncertainties, unscrupulous traders, weak oversight bodies etc

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
muandiwambeu
#34 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 9:00:38 AM

obiero wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

@mv_ufanisi I owe you KES 1,000 for such a well written post. The NSE now has only 16 investable firms in total.. Can you believe it? I keep a maximum 10% of my total wealth portfolio at the NSE, since it is a place fraught with high uncertainties, unscrupulous traders, weak oversight bodies etc

Investoquandary.

Investors are left with bleeding ninis, 🐒s and KQueers. Real estate is whacking big time. 😎. Am intending to post a Dr karukaranga mganga mashuuri kwa nyumba zangu sasa to keep the bankers away.

Pandemonium, could someone help with the meaning and give examples.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
rwitre
#35 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 9:27:04 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Depends on your investment goals.

- Some are in the NSE to make a quick buck (speculators)
- Others are here to diversify their portfolio, and as a hedge (ordinary passive investor who is happy with umbrella gifts at the AGM)
- Others are looking to gain a hold of firms that they believe in, and target a large stake as possible (the kirubis and the kakuzi fellow)
Ebenyo
#36 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 3:09:14 PM

rwitre wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

- Others are here to diversify their portfolio, and as a hedge (ordinary passive investor who is happy with umbrella gifts at the AGM)
- Others are looking to gain a hold of firms that they believe in, and target a large stake as possible (the kirubis and the kakuzi fellow)

He is called John Kibunga kimani.he currently own 30% of kakuzi.he was born inside their and he feels attached to it.

sparkly
#37 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:47:09 PM

rwitre wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Stock Market is Education in action. People attend the same school, taught by the same teachers, read the same books, eat the same food yet at exams time, some people score A while others score D.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Horton
#38 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 7:14:04 PM

sparkly wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Stock Market is Education in action. People attend the same school, taught by the same teachers, read the same books, eat the same food yet at exams time, some people score A while others score D.

But you forget we are all wired differently
sparkly
#39 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 7:53:48 PM

Horton wrote:
sparkly wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Same thing with stock market. People face the same market conditions but some return 50% profit while others return 50% loss.

The ones who make losses consistently should not blame the market. They should just acknowledge that their methods are not working.
Life is short. Live passionately.
kayhara
#40 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 9:53:38 PM

sparkly wrote:
Horton wrote:
sparkly wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

How are you surviving?

Same thing with stock market. People face the same market conditions but some return 50% profit while others return 50% loss.

The ones who make losses consistently should not blame the market. They should just acknowledge that their methods are not working.

Well I decide to liquidate most my portfolio with a sizable loss on Uchumi, but overall it cancels out with the good profit I made from Mumias sometime back, going by the general economic climate the bear will be with us for much longer than we had hoped, I am currntly only holding Hafri. and recently bought some eaagads after the drop after the financials.
To Each His Own