wazua Mon, May 13, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

23 Pages«<34567>»
Wai!! it is a blood bath, kcb, coop, equity down 9%
newfarer
#81 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:14:05 PM

moneydust wrote:
wukan wrote:
Uhuru and his economic advisers grossly underestimated portfolio forex inflows. Waiting for the carnage to extend to the forex markets

Clearly he chose populism instead of sense.By rolling the countrys' tradition of free market policies he has ignited a carnage that will be felt far and wide in the countrys' economy.He will now know what it means to be in a global market.
Cant wait for the fire to filter to the currency market,shillingi yetu RIPPray Pray Pray

He has wanjiku support and that is what matters. Wanjiku is ready to swallow the pill the shylocks can sit on a pin. I wonder if any of the scaremongers here have ever repaid a loan at 20% and felt how hard it was to remain sane
punda amecheka
Surething
#82 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:19:12 PM

Banks may present convincing arguments as to why the interest rates on loans are so high in this market, but model collapses when they start trying to justify why they pay so little interest on deposits, it can't be explained away by 'risk'or 'cost'. Any new regulatory regime comes with some level of pain, I am old enough to remember the short to medium term chaos occasioned by the Michuki rules, but at the end equilibrium was attained, it will also happen in this case.
Surething
#83 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:20:27 PM

Banks may present convincing arguments as to why the interest rates on loans are so high in this market, but model collapses when they start trying to justify why they pay so little interest on deposits, it can't be explained away by 'risk'or 'cost'. Any new regulatory regime comes with some level of pain, I am old enough to remember the short to medium term chaos occasioned by the Michuki rules, but at the end equilibrium was attained, it will also happen in this case.
#84 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:34:13 PM

murchr wrote:
2012 wrote:
Creativity starts now. Credit cards will now be one of the holy grails for the banks. Expect a call on soon from your 'friendly bank'.

Credit cards are capped no?

Bank transactions are about to be cleverly introduced.

I see a mass exodus at MPESA bank. Those who've been salivating can now prepare their checks. Co-op will be hitting 9/- kesho

Credit cards are the Shylock's equivalent for banks. Regulating them will see even foreigners coming to apply.
I hope the insurance industry is taking notes... 'Kenyans are not happy with you'.Laughing out loudly
How I love that phrase.

BBI will solve it
:)
guru267
#85 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:38:28 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Banking stocks will slide until end of the year when investors can roughly investigate the impact of the law on their profitability. Until then, expect massive exits and rock bottom prices. Banks have a smaller margin for error now. Only the best candidates will get loans. You can now know that you can now qualify for maybe half what you would have qualified for before the law.

Banks have some of the smartest Kenyans at their helms. Can you think of Mwangi, Oigara, Muriuki etc, quietly accepting these kinds of loses in the competitive markets we have today? Think about this:

The Governor has suspended the issuance of new banking licenses. Any bank that declines too much becomes an automatic take over target. We are likely to see some interesting M&A action in the banking sector over the next one year.

Even the problem of pricing risk in our unique environment has been mostly solved, or very soon will be. KCB, Equity et al moved over 30 billion in loans using their digital platforms in the last year - relying essentially on little more than a credit rating number and a digital profile. Watch how quickly the other Banks pile in. Mwangi's investment in Equitel suddenly begins to look prescient.

My point? Don't cry for banks. They will do OK. They always do.

Is this really viable when rates are at 14.5% p.a.?

I think it is possible. KCB, Equity, CBA etc are essentially using an algorithm to allocate loans, in other words small to zero transaction cost. Meaning the Shylock rates they levy now are pure risk cover plus - a humongous - margin.

They can afford to go from the average 2% a month to 1% and still make good money. They simply have to learn to live without supernormal profits, like the rest of us.

So who determines the default risk? The business owners or the government?

Free market smart money definitely ain't feeling this China style order.
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
Wakanyugi
#86 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:14:04 PM

guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Banking stocks will slide until end of the year when investors can roughly investigate the impact of the law on their profitability. Until then, expect massive exits and rock bottom prices. Banks have a smaller margin for error now. Only the best candidates will get loans. You can now know that you can now qualify for maybe half what you would have qualified for before the law.

Banks have some of the smartest Kenyans at their helms. Can you think of Mwangi, Oigara, Muriuki etc, quietly accepting these kinds of loses in the competitive markets we have today? Think about this:

The Governor has suspended the issuance of new banking licenses. Any bank that declines too much becomes an automatic take over target. We are likely to see some interesting M&A action in the banking sector over the next one year.

Even the problem of pricing risk in our unique environment has been mostly solved, or very soon will be. KCB, Equity et al moved over 30 billion in loans using their digital platforms in the last year - relying essentially on little more than a credit rating number and a digital profile. Watch how quickly the other Banks pile in. Mwangi's investment in Equitel suddenly begins to look prescient.

I think it is possible. KCB, Equity, CBA etc are essentially using an algorithm to allocate loans, in other words small to zero transaction cost. Meaning the Shylock rates they levy now are pure risk cover plus - a humongous - margin.

They can afford to go from the average 2% a month to 1% and still make good money. They simply have to learn to live without supernormal profits, like the rest of us.

Banks have been determining the default risk all along and to what cost? Money, like fuel, is a key lifeblood of any capitalist economy and when when the plumber deliberately clogs the pipes...something has to change.

For about fifteen years we have had a situation where Banks essentially abused their privileged role, to the detriment of the people and the economy. It would be a very irresponsible government that failed to act in such a situation.

Whether the action will solve the problem is another story of course. But the default setting has been changed. Banks are not a law unto themselves and their sanitized shylocking will not be permitted to stand. Now lets see them walk away from their (still very viable) money minting machines, as some people here are claiming they will do. I dare them.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
obiero
#87 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:14:30 PM

guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

People have simply panicked but there are no buyers.. It was a kneejerk reaction at the NSE today

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
muandiwambeu
#88 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:30:26 PM

guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
guru267 wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

default risk is an aggregate of an economies performance in perspective of a large corporate lender targeting borrowers in that economic environment.
but hiyo yote ni brarr brarrhr. the government has been busy providing security within and outside the borders to create a thriving economy, but the senzi type lazzy banks have been enjoy a free day brandishing machetes and skinning Wanjiku with passion. that's now under limits. even 14.5% is exorbitant to a stable economy of this country's status. I have never taken a loan and I will never above 10%. I can not allow a lazy fella just rob me off my efforts, benefits and ingenuity.
Although credit has been made more affordable, kbr now has become a political tool the days government will have some explanations to give to the Wanjiku.
Banks are experiencing turbulence for now and in the medium term until they restrategize. wale Wako ndani sit tight or press eject button, safe landing not guaranteed for now.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Impunity
#89 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 9:52:45 AM

#Joseph Hill (Culture)
Quote:

Blood blood blood in a babylon...x2
Faya abagodong' in a babylon, ayayeea...x2

Th suuuuun will stop, from shiiiining.
The mooooon will stop,from gloooowing.

BLOOD IN BANKING HALLS TODAY!

Pray Pray Pray Pray
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

maka
#90 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:12:24 AM

Impunity wrote:

#Joseph Hill (Culture)
Quote:

Pray Pray Pray Pray

Very lucky it's a Friday...
possunt quia posse videntur
Angelica _ann
#91 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:16:16 AM

NIC at 24 bob, 78 bob pre rights about 2 years ago!!! Thanks to @hisah i can smile smile smile smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Spikes
#92 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:19:04 AM

maka wrote:
Impunity wrote:

#Joseph Hill (Culture)
Quote:

Pray Pray Pray Pray

The wounds are growing deeper. Next week blood letting more rapidly continues.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
mlennyma
#93 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:20:50 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
NIC at 24 bob, 78 bob pre rights about 2 years ago!!! Thanks to @hisah i can smile smile smile smile

and nobody wants it at 24Sad second day of maximum 10% on banks.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Wakanyugi
#94 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:24:11 AM

maka wrote:
Impunity wrote:

#Joseph Hill (Culture)
Quote:

Pray Pray Pray Pray

Lesson to the President.

If you must give bad news, do it on a Friday afternoon.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
mlennyma
#95 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:27:20 AM

The reverse on bank stocks can give you a quick 20- 30% return be alert
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
mikanjoroge
#96 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:27:23 AM

I agree. First he should have leaked his intention to sign the bill to test the waters, then do it on a Friday afternoon to let the news sink in through the weekend. But there would still be fire, where is Jeff with his extinguisher? Cause it is smoking hot.
wukan
#97 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:29:24 AM

The foreigners are leaving and the locals can't buy them out. No one could raise a 1billion dollars to buy bargains even the ones who wanted interest rates capped. Sad!!!
Spikes
#98 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:35:27 AM

Unlike locals who are more sentimental to NSE news, foreigners make decisions based on fundamentals. And as much as banking stocks are overcrowded by foreigners downward trend will continue for days! Foreigners never take chances!
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
littledove
#99 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:49:51 AM

wukan wrote:
The foreigners are leaving and the locals can't buy them out. No one could raise a 1billion dollars to buy bargains even the ones who wanted interest rates capped. Sad!!!

this must be a horror movie for those trying to sell!! kcb has traded only 3000 shares, equity only 1500 shares and coop only 4200 shares.
yesterday they were helped by previous pending orders, we watched faces of chinese in despair just another day as their stock market falls down the ciff now its just here at home!
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
mibbz
#100 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 10:53:07 AM

Spikes wrote:
Unlike locals who are more sentimental to NSE news, foreigners make decisions based on fundamentals. And as much as banking stocks are overcrowded by foreigners downward trend will continue for days! Foreigners never take chances!

I think this debate of locals and foreigners has really been overplayed! Why does anyone in this day and age think a 'local' investor is not savvy enough to make decisions based on fundamentals and not sentiment?

Show me a recent publication (O-3 years) that compared investment trends among the two groups especially the factors around their exit strategies.

I think the action of both groups are informed by fundamentals and information available.