Jon Jones wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Malls outdo each other to attract clients, shoppers

http://www.businessdaily...69020-5smym2/index.html

Will there be a mall "crash"? When?

Two Rivers

Karen = The Hub &The Waterfront

Westlands/Parklands = Sarit Center (3x Expansion), Westgate (2x Expansion), Diamond Plaza (2x Expansion)

Ngong Road & environs = Junction, Greenhouse

On (46 kms) Thika Road = Garden City, TRM, Juja City, Spur Mall, Uni City and Mountain Mall.

There are many malls/areas I have not included including on Uhuru Highway, Langata Rd, Mombasa Road...

Malls are overdone similar to hotels where everyone is getting into it.

Havent been to garden city of late but hear they are struggling with tenants? Same with greenhouse!

In my opinion, they should have done a world class theme park, which would accomodate a relatively smaller shopping/recreational and dining area.....water under the bridge!

However, the carlsberg partnership sounds like an interesing preposition for Centum and considering that they hold a very small stake in 2 rivers.

Sometimes I wonder. Apart from banks, supermarkets and fast food restaurants, do the other businesses in malls make any cash?? I believe that there is a lot of cash to be made, in other major towns but not Nairobi or Thika. There is huge potential for a big mall in Nakuru, Eldoret, Nyeri etc...basically, any town beyond 100km from Nairobi and with a population of over 500,000 people should have at least one mall.

Folks in Nyeri are known to be very frugal. Tales have been told of how men and women in Nyeri despite having mirrions in cash and assets would rather take dubia(dufia) with no accompaniments for breakfast than have sugared tea, bread ,ngwaci or nduma. Nyeri is a peculiar town that goes to sleep at 7PM. It has no supermarket worth mentioning about.People of Nyeri don't spend money and that is the reason why Nyeri never grows
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
enyands
#22 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 4:35:57 AM

Fyatu wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Two Rivers

Westlands/Parklands = Sarit Center (3x Expansion), Westgate (2x Expansion), Diamond Plaza (2x Expansion)

On (46 kms) Thika Road = Garden City, TRM, Juja City, Spur Mall, Uni City and Mountain Mall.

There are many malls/areas I have not included including on Uhuru Highway, Langata Rd, Mombasa Road...

Havent been to garden city of late but hear they are struggling with tenants? Same with greenhouse!

In my opinion, they should have done a world class theme park, which would accomodate a relatively smaller shopping/recreational and dining area.....water under the bridge!

However, the carlsberg partnership sounds like an interesing preposition for Centum and considering that they hold a very small stake in 2 rivers.

Sometimes I wonder. Apart from banks, supermarkets and fast food restaurants, do the other businesses in malls make any cash?? I believe that there is a lot of cash to be made, in other major towns but not Nairobi or Thika. There is huge potential for a big mall in Nakuru, Eldoret, Nyeri etc...basically, any town beyond 100km from Nairobi and with a population of over 500,000 people should have at least one mall.

Folks in Nyeri are known to be very frugal. Tales have been told of how men and women in Nyeri despite having mirrions in cash and assets would rather take dubia(dufia) with no accompaniments for breakfast than have sugared tea, bread ,ngwaci or nduma. Nyeri is a peculiar town that goes to sleep at 7PM. It has no supermarket worth mentioning about.People of Nyeri don't spend money and that is the reason why Nyeri never grows

Question is what's the use of money? What do they do with their money?
Jon Jones
#23 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 6:26:35 AM

enyands wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Two Rivers

Question is what's the use of money? What do they do with their money?

I hate to say this, but there is some truth in what you say. It is exactly the same as I left it since high school. No major developments, just a huge population increase.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
majimaji
#24 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 9:57:28 AM

Realtreaty wrote:
Malls make money from weekend/holiday/month end shoppers who shop, recreate and dine there.There are also conference and board rooms for MICE.
When my daughter forced me to take her to Dago corner for Nakumatt (you know girls think dads are rich and will ask for anything on the counter)
Where today Nakumatt lies was my favorite bar to see "Les Wanyika" who played music there and could even listen to music while lying on the grass near the time Kenya Science Teachers College (KSTC)
That Time Ngong road was smooth and never crowded.
So Lets meet at "Two rivers at least twice a Month!

smile Kweli wewe ni mzee, the club was called Bombax Club. By the time I became old enough to drink, it (the club) had died.

VituVingiSana
#25 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 10:12:15 AM

Fyatu wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Two Rivers

Perhaps they invest elsewhere and leave Nyeri to remain a small-ish idyllic town. Many towns in the US (& Europe) are like that. The wealthy residents don't want huge structures, traffic and noise. They want peace & quiet. The wealth buys them tranquility.

I was lucky to have visited the area of Omaha where Warren Buffett lives. It looks no fancier than a 100 other suburbs of various US cities. Even Omaha hasn't grown as fast as his wealth. Many of his Omaha(n) neighbors also invested in Berkshire Hathaway and are very wealthy.

Let Nyeri folks be. They are probably helping Kenya grow by re-investing instead of some who show off conspicuous consumption but have zero wealth.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Realtreaty
#26 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 10:25:11 PM

alotoftalk
#27 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 1:48:59 AM

Hopefully this trend continues until GoK divests. Why should the GoK be invested in a commercially driven asset manager?

The GoK needs to divest from all mature businesses and invest the proceeds into an public infrastructure fund.

The GoK holdings in listed and unlisted companies is enough to build out roads, water and sewer access which will be the platform for renewed growth.
Investment philosophy development in progress...
researchfirst
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:44:38 AM

alotoftalk wrote:

Hopefully this trend continues until GoK divests. Why should the GoK be invested in a commercially driven asset manager?

The GoK needs to divest from all mature businesses and invest the proceeds into an public infrastructure fund.

The GoK holdings in listed and unlisted companies is enough to build out roads, water and sewer access which will be the platform for renewed growth.

Applause I agree, but don't hold your breath.
enyands
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:48:42 AM

researchfirst wrote:
alotoftalk wrote:

Applause I agree, but don't hold your breath.

Govt has no business in investing for profits ,they should focus on service delivery or invest in core companies that hold as the backbone of the economy for the sake of public interest eg KPLC ,kengen , Kenya re but the rest they should cease to hold shares kapsa
Realtreaty
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:49:52 AM

And those speaking evil of malls should now stop it!!!
http://www.businessdailyafrica....71852-9qftupz/index.html
mkate_nusu
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:07:10 AM

majimaji wrote:
Realtreaty wrote:
Malls make money from weekend/holiday/month end shoppers who shop, recreate and dine there.There are also conference and board rooms for MICE.
When my daughter forced me to take her to Dago corner for Nakumatt (you know girls think dads are rich and will ask for anything on the counter)
Where today Nakumatt lies was my favorite bar to see "Les Wanyika" who played music there and could even listen to music while lying on the grass near the time Kenya Science Teachers College (KSTC)

smile Kweli wewe ni mzee, the club was called Bombax Club. By the time I became old enough to drink, it (the club) had died.

some people here are in their early 60's / over 50 in general
tuheshimu wazee
KEGN, KPLC, KQ, SCOM
enyands
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:32:51 AM

mkate_nusu wrote:
majimaji wrote:
Realtreaty wrote:

some people here are in their early 60's / over 50 in general
tuheshimu wazee

Realtreaty is in mid 40's and is in east coast. Captured him admitting that he just woke up in the morning to post something to do with centum meanwhile it was 7pm huku Laughing out loudly
alotoftalk
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:58:16 AM

I doubt there is a company that's more lucrative for employees than Centum. [Source: Annual Report pg. 75]

The CEO Mworia got KES 200 Million (close to USD 2 Million) in 2015. That's comparative to the CEO pay for the largest companies in Africa like Standard Bank and even most NYSE listed companies.

In 5 years he will be a newly minted KES billionaire. A good thing is that he's using some of that money to buy shares.

So if Centum goes the TCL way he'll have some skin in the game.

I also hope they start paying more of this in share options which increases skin in the game and can be easily clawed back. Plus efficient from a cashflow perspective.
Investment philosophy development in progress...
sparkly
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 6:24:34 AM

Realtreaty wrote:

"The investment firm said it booked a gain of Sh3.1 billion on the Old Mutual deal alone, adding that the transaction gives the mall an implied valuation of Sh23 billion."

23B!!
Life is short. Live passionately.
MadDoc
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 7:24:19 AM

sparkly wrote:
Realtreaty wrote:

"The investment firm said it booked a gain of Sh3.1 billion on the Old Mutual deal alone, adding that the transaction gives the mall an implied valuation of Sh23 billion."

23B!!

If old mutual paid 6.4b for 50% of TRLC which owns the mall, wouldn't the implied valuation be 12.8b?d'oh!
Could someone clarify this?
VituVingiSana
#36 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 9:18:07 AM

sparkly wrote:
Realtreaty wrote:

23B!!

Kenol Kobil with stations, most leased, all over EAC. A business that generates 3bn+ PBT has 1.5bn shares x 11.50 = 17bn valuation.

KenRe with business(es) in Kenya, West Africa and Southern Africa. Expected PAT 3bn. 700mn shares x 20 = 14bn valuation

Unga with a plants in Kenya and Uganda. Supplies an essential FMCG. 75mn shares x 33 = 2.5bn valuation
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 9:42:54 AM

@MadDoc
Wachana na Centum.
Alot of creative and sugar coating accounting is at play huko
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Realtreaty
#38 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 10:05:46 AM

I do not want to count what they own but what I own in them by next year March. Its given everything will come up early enough save for Elections in August 2017.
This is the Month the doors are opening
Carrefour to spoil Kenyans with LED 32-47 inch TVs have price for the first 200 buyers.
They will as well gift shoppers shopping miles for free tickets and 2 day stay in Mombasa, Kisumu, Madagascar for Monthly shoppers of 10000 and above through draw for Xmas.
MadDoc
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 10:13:08 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@MadDoc
Wachana na Centum.
Alot of creative and sugar coating accounting is at play huko

Lakini io 23bShame on you
Angelica _ann
#40 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 10:15:08 AM

alotoftalk wrote:

I doubt there is a company that's more lucrative for employees than Centum. [Source: Annual Report pg. 75]

The CEO Mworia got KES 200 Million (close to USD 2 Million) in 2015. That's comparative to the CEO pay for the largest companies in Africa like Standard Bank and even most NYSE listed companies.

In 5 years he will be a newly minted KES billionaire. A good thing is that he's using some of that money to buy shares.

So if Centum goes the TCL way he'll have some skin in the game.

I also hope they start paying more of this in share options which increases skin in the game and can be easily clawed back. Plus efficient from a cashflow perspective.

Son in Law smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen