wazua Wed, May 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<34567>
KenolKobil HY 2016 ebitda +5.9%, net profit +29.5%
VituVingiSana
#81 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:52:26 PM

So @Pesanane - What KK has done has "provided" for the debt? [Assuming the claim by KPRL is valid]. Does that means 800mn is still not provided for? So if KK has to pay KPRL then its a 800mn hit?

Or is Ohana providing for the claim while still holding out for the 3.5bn?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Pesa Nane
#82 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:40:49 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
So @Pesanane - What KK has done has "provided" for the "debt?" [Assuming the claim by KPRL is valid].YES Does that means 800mn is still not provided for? YES and NO. YES going by the original claim, NO bearing in mind there is an out of court agreement (settlement terms unknown) So if KK has to pay KPRL the full claim then its a 800mn hit? YES

Or is Ohana providing for the claim while still holding out for the 3.5bn? NO. KPRL invoiced KK Ksh. 1.2Bn for refining their crude. KK refused to pay and sued KPRL for yield shift losses amounting to Ksh. 3.5Bn caused by the inefficiencies of the refinery. To KK, the yield shift loss (difference between expected and actual yield on refining) amounted to a breach of contract on the part of KPRL. The Ksh. 3.5Bn is therefore for breach of contract, actual losses, Excess tax paid to KRA, interest, cost of suit etc. After a long impasses and change of guard at KK, KK withdrew the suit in favour of arbitration terms of which only ahmednassir may know. Beware of layman interpretation of the saga.

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
karasinga
#83 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:18:11 AM

karasinga wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
karasinga wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
karasinga wrote:
hope you wont mind my busy chart. trying bar by bar analysis.

I wish I understood the charts...

@VVS, I fear my own humble musings would be much inferior to the excellent work that YOU have already produced here at wazua. at times I wish I understood fundamentals...

I find fundamentals "easier" to understand. Though one has to dig through each item for hidden (+ve or -ve) information. I am following your thread but I admit I need to spend more time on understanding the graphs.

Tough to master both. Most investors - even some obscenely successful ones - are limited to one. Having tried TA back in 2011/12 and failed miserably, I let that ship sail.

bar by bar analysis continues...
9th August 2016. spinning top formed. This confirms prior analysis made for the last two trading days.This demonstrates some indecision on the part of the bulls and the bears and would warrant watching for the next day’s price action.

correction.
on 9th august, a black closing Marubozu formed. that indicated that sellers controlled the price action from the first trade to the last trade although on a small volume. The day opened and prices went slightly higher, forming an upper shadow. Then prices reversed direction moving below the opening level, and the decline continues all day ending with a closing price equal to the low of the day. The bears were very strong during that day except during the initial phase of the session.

on 10th august, a hammer formed. The price opened and started to trade lower. The bears, from the previous trading day,were still in control. The bulls then stepped in. They started to bring the price back up towards the top of the trading range on high volume. This created a small body with a large lower shadow. This represents that the bears could not maintain control. The long lower shadow now has the bears questioning whether the decline is still intact. A higher open on 11th August would confirm that the bulls have taken control.
It's not over until I win
skype id: karasinga. email: kkarasinga@gmail.com
VituVingiSana
#84 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:38:30 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
So @Pesanane - What KK has done has "provided" for the "debt?" [Assuming the claim by KPRL is valid].YES Does that means 800mn is still not provided for? YES and NO. YES going by the original claim, NO bearing in mind there is an out of court agreement (settlement terms unknown) So if KK has to pay KPRL the full claim then its a 800mn hit? YES

Or is Ohana providing for the claim while still holding out for the 3.5bn? NO. KPRL invoiced KK Ksh. 1.2Bn for refining their crude. KK refused to pay and sued KPRL for yield shift losses amounting to Ksh. 3.5Bn caused by the inefficiencies of the refinery. To KK, the yield shift loss (difference between expected and actual yield on refining) amounted to a breach of contract on the part of KPRL. The Ksh. 3.5Bn is therefore for breach of contract, actual losses, Excess tax paid to KRA, interest, cost of suit etc. After a long impasses and change of guard at KK, KK withdrew the suit in favour of arbitration terms of which only ahmednassir may know. Beware of layman interpretation of the saga.

Asante. So if KK has withdrawn its KES 3.5bn claim then... BTW, if there was an out-of-court settlement [as you say, we don't have all the details] the amount KK agreed to pay KPRL becomes a debt. Unless the agreement is still not finalized... If the settlement has been finalized in favor of KPRL (for the 1.2bn) then the debt does materialize since it is contractual.

KK needs to come clean on this matter so we know where we stand.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
mlennyma
#85 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:11:10 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Asante. So if KK has withdrawn its KES 3.5bn claim then... BTW, if there was an out-of-court settlement [as you say, we don't have all the details] the amount KK agreed to pay KPRL becomes a debt. Unless the agreement is still not finalized... If the settlement has been finalized in favor of KPRL (for the 1.2bn) then the debt does materialize since it is contractual.

were there two cases?? Yes,kenya pipeline case kk wanted to be paid 5billion kpc made a counter claim of 1.6b and the refinery case ,kk wanted 3.1 b while kprl wanted 1.2b where there was out of court settlement.we should be updated and given every detail in white.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Aguytrying
#86 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:42:48 PM

Out of court is normally softer than the original amount.

Why write the debt down now, or they are paying the 400m now?
Best case scenario will be that this is the full amount on settlement..
You can't fight gava and thrive as an enterprise in Kenya
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Pesa Nane
#87 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:55:02 PM

mlennyma wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

were there two cases?? Yes,kenya pipeline case kk wanted to be paid 5billion kpc made a counter claim of 1.6b and the refinery case ,kk wanted 3.1 b while kprl wanted 1.2b where there was out of court settlement.we should be updated and given every detail in white.

To my understanding (and I could be very wrong) this was a totally different case and it involved other major oil marketers as well and the amount demanded was in excess of Ksh. 10Bn. KPRL, KRA and ERC did make commitment to honor some of the claims though not in cash. The oil marketers were to make collections through surcharge on pump price not exceeding Ksh. 0.10 per liter of fuel
mlennyma
#88 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:03:28 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

To my understanding (and I could be very wrong) this was a totally different case and it involved other major oil marketers as well and the amount demanded was in excess of Ksh. 10Bn. KPRL, KRA and ERC did make commitment to honor some of the claims though not in cash. The oil marketers were to make collections through surcharge on pump price not exceeding Ksh. 0.10 per liter of fuel

so confusing, but the arbitration case was purely between kk and kpc
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
karasinga
#89 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 6:05:30 AM

karasinga wrote:
karasinga wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
karasinga wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
karasinga wrote:
hope you wont mind my busy chart. trying bar by bar analysis.

I wish I understood the charts...

@VVS, I fear my own humble musings would be much inferior to the excellent work that YOU have already produced here at wazua. at times I wish I understood fundamentals...

I find fundamentals "easier" to understand. Though one has to dig through each item for hidden (+ve or -ve) information. I am following your thread but I admit I need to spend more time on understanding the graphs.

Tough to master both. Most investors - even some obscenely successful ones - are limited to one. Having tried TA back in 2011/12 and failed miserably, I let that ship sail.

bar by bar analysis continues...
9th August 2016. spinning top formed. This confirms prior analysis made for the last two trading days.This demonstrates some indecision on the part of the bulls and the bears and would warrant watching for the next day’s price action.

correction.
on 9th august, a black closing Marubozu formed. that indicated that sellers controlled the price action from the first trade to the last trade although on a small volume. The day opened and prices went slightly higher, forming an upper shadow. Then prices reversed direction moving below the opening level, and the decline continues all day ending with a closing price equal to the low of the day. The bears were very strong during that day except during the initial phase of the session.

on 10th august, a hammer formed. The price opened and started to trade lower. The bears, from the previous trading day,were still in control. The bulls then stepped in. They started to bring the price back up towards the top of the trading range on high volume. This created a small body with a large lower shadow. This represents that the bears could not maintain control. The long lower shadow now has the bears questioning whether the decline is still intact. A higher open on 11th August would confirm that the bulls have taken control.

on 11th, another hammer with a black head formed still on high volume. this indicates:
1. bears are still present although they seem to be losing steam(higher low).
2. bulls might be grouping to take it higher.
A higher open as from 12th august would confirm bulls are in full control. BABY STEPS...
It's not over until I win
skype id: karasinga. email: kkarasinga@gmail.com
Ebenyo
#90 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 10:04:10 AM

Kenolkobil HY 2016 Results-My take.

Total income-37193744000
Expenses-36003807000
Balance-1189937000

Dividend payment-220764180
Retained earnings-969172820

*Shareholders got 19% of the net profit while 81% was retained.
*What is the company planning to do with the 81% retained income?
*cost of sales-why does it consume 90% of the total income?
*What is the management doing to bring down the cost of sales?
*Debt to equity ratio at 94%.
Despite selling assets in tanzania,congo and uganda,why is this ratio still high?
*Going forward,what are the growth plans?

Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#91 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 10:42:19 AM

Ebenyo wrote:

Total income-37193744000
Expenses-36003807000
Balance-1189937000

Pay down debt, expansion, rehabilitate old stations, expand into LPG & Lubes
Different businesses have different cost of sales. Price controls control & limit the margin KK/OMCs can make above their Cost of Goods.
Unless you, as a voter, convince GoK to remove price controls...
Despite selling assets in tanzania,congo and uganda,why is this ratio still high?
TZ & DRC were small markets for KK but loss-making. The proceeds were used to reduce debt. KK hasn't sold out of UG. Oil is about volumes. Small margins on huge volumes. These volumes are funded by debt. Different sectors need different levels of debt.
Come to the next AGM, read the Annual Report. Organic expansion, LPG, Lube blending, etc

Pesa Nane
#92 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 10:15:44 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:

Total income-37193744000
Expenses-36003807000
Balance-1189937000

Finance an expanded inventory, Further investment and deeper penetration into the non-oil business
Different businesses have different cost of sales. Price controls control & limit the margin KK/OMCs can make above their Cost of Goods.
TZ & DRC were small markets for KK but loss-making. The proceeds were used to reduce debt. KK hasn't sold out of UG. Oil is about volumes. Small margins on huge volumes. These volumes are funded by debt. Different sectors need different levels of debt.
Grow the non-oil business. Ref the MOU with INNSCOR (Chicken Inn, Pizza Inn, Creamy Inn, Bakers Inn, Galito’s, vida e caffe, The Kidz Zone). Two more locations complete this year (South B and C) and two more coming up
Come to the next AGM, read the Annual Report. Organic expansion, LPG, Lube blending, etc

KK Buru

Ebenyo
#93 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:34:30 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
[quote=Ebenyo]Kenolkobil HY 2016 Results-My take.

Total income-37193744000
Expenses-36003807000
Balance-1189937000

Thanks for indepth answer.
The total debt is ksh 4 bilion.At the repayment rate of kshs 97 milion per year,dont you think it will take too long for kk to grow its profits?
Dont you see the danger of kk being bogged down with debts repayment for ages?
VituVingiSana
#94 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:07:14 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
[quote=Ebenyo]Kenolkobil HY 2016 Results-My take.

Total income-37193744000
Expenses-36003807000
Balance-1189937000

Thanks for indepth answer.
The total debt is ksh 4 bilion.At the repayment rate of kshs 97 milion per year,dont you think it will take too long for kk to grow its profits?
Dont you see the danger of kk being bogged down with debts repayment for ages?

Distinguish between Operating (Working Capital) Debt and Other (Capital, etc) Debt.
Debt is not a bad thing. It's how the funds are used.
KK takes on debt to bring in fuel cargoes. They then sell the fuel [to other OMCs as well as through their stations] and pay down the debt. This debt is not "core" debt. When they have a cargo, they take on a (huge) loan. When they sell it, they pay it down.

What Ohana did was sell off TZ & DRC fixed assets since these were UNPRODUCTIVE and used the cash to pay down "core" debt borrowed during Segman's days to expand.
Ohana has no choice but to borrow [unless KK does a huge Rights Issue] to buy OTS cargoes. Small margins, large volumes. Not speculation coz the bulk of OTS cargoes are often pre-sold. OMCs that default are blacklisted by ERC/MoE. The largest OMCs eg Total, Shell/Vivo, KK, etc are unlikely to default.

Debt:Equity was very high as KK was coming from an (almost) negative position after the hedging fiasco under Segman. Since 2012, the "Equity" has been built up while debt [helped by sub-$50 oil] has come down. As KK pays down "core" debt [which also adds to Equity] the Debt:Equity ratio will improve.

Questions?
VituVingiSana
#95 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:17:31 PM

@Ebenyo - I am not bothered with the current share price be it 10 or 12. The long game is either a buy-out at 15+ within 18 months OR a solid firm that will become a BAT or EABL with consistent dividends.

KK hasn't given up on regional expansion but Ohana is wary about former Socialist regimes coz of the culture. He mentioned during the post-AGM discussion that they keep on looking at Mozambique BUT he doesn't want a TZ-like situation where "mali ya umma" dominates.

He feels there's scope to grow in Kenya via dealers & leases NOT by purchasing real estate. Apparently, the Board shot down the 1.5bn HQ idea since it would take focus and cash away from the stations.
Ebenyo
#96 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:50:39 PM

im happy with the way you are putting facts on board.You have all the details at your fingertips! this is the joy of longterm investment-you get to distinguish bones and flesh!
As you can see honestly,many companies have been brought down by high debt to equity ratio.Management of debt is very poor and thats why companies like kq,mumias,ea portland and uchumi are bleeding to death.On the direct kk competitor,it took the intervention of french total outermar to bail out Total kenya which was nearly crippled with debts.The results being that total outermar took 93% ownership of total kenya.
But its true Ohanna has done well to bring down the debt level.
How expensive is it to buy oil?
as i mentioned earlier,cost of sales is 90% of the total income and i feel thats too high.How does kk buy oil? transportation?
VituVingiSana
#97 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:15:04 PM

OMCs bid for OTS cargoes. The cheapest usually wins. There is a delivery window and the price for delivery is set. When the fuel is offloaded, it is allocated to different OMCs per their original orders/requirements. The OMCs then pay the importer (eg KK) and KPC allocates the Buyer (eg Shell) their portion.

Before the fuel is drawn from KPC's tanks for local consumption, the OMC pays taxes to KRA. The fuel is then trucked to the station and sold.

There are different "fuels" including petrol and diesel. Each is priced differently by the refinery [eg in India, Singapore, etc] or trader [Vitol, Trafigura, etc]. The OTS quantities are usually 50mn - 80mn liters [please ask others for verification coz I may be mistaken]. That's a lot of cash.

Transportation: Railway, Trucks, Pipeline.

Cost of Sales: It's about volumes since margins are controlled by GoK/ERC. There's a minimum cost for KK per liter coz of taxes, fuel purchase cost, transport, etc.
Ebenyo
#98 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:36:29 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
OMCs bid for OTS cargoes. The cheapest usually wins. There is a delivery window and the price for delivery is set. When the fuel is offloaded, it is allocated to different OMCs per their original orders/requirements. The OMCs then pay the importer (eg KK) and KPC allocates the Buyer (eg Shell) their portion.

Before the fuel is drawn from KPC's tanks for local consumption, the OMC pays taxes to KRA. The fuel is then trucked to the station and sold.

There are different "fuels" including petrol and diesel. Each is priced differently by the refinery [eg in India, Singapore, etc] or trader [Vitol, Trafigura, etc]. The OTS quantities are usually 50mn - 80mn liters [please ask others for verification coz I may be mistaken]. That's a lot of cash.

Transportation: Railway, Trucks, Pipeline.

Cost of Sales: It's about volumes since margins are controlled by GoK/ERC. There's a minimum cost for KK per liter coz of taxes, fuel purchase cost, transport, etc.

its now clear to me why the cost of sales is high according to your points:
1.Open Tender System-all the Oil marketing companies do their bids.
2.Pay tax to the gok
3.Pay for the transport
It could have been cheap if everyone is left for himself.Gava just wants to monopolize and tightly control everything.
They will start even controling the relationship between a husband and wife at this rate!
Aguytrying
#99 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:47:06 PM

I see the path to 12.00 opening up....
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
sparkly
#100 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:28:33 PM

Ebenyo wrote:

They will start even controling the relationship between a husband and wife at this rate!

This statement shows that you are still a "bachalla" Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Relationships between a husband and wife are regulated first by the wife then by the government.
Life is short. Live passionately.