wazua Tue, Apr 30, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

151 Pages«<3738394041>»
Law Capping interest rates
obiero
#761 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 3:52:20 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
Something am thinking about, could banks lower interests but adopt fixed instead of reducing balance? I understand 14% flat rate is expensive than 18% reducing balance.

Stop giving out such devious ideas

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
sparkly
#762 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 3:58:26 PM

14% is still too high.

I know people with mortgages at 3%, yes in Kenya and yes from the same same banks.
Life is short. Live passionately.
watesh
#763 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 4:00:12 PM

obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Something am thinking about, could banks lower interests but adopt fixed instead of reducing balance? I understand 14% flat rate is expensive than 18% reducing balance.

Hahaha thats what will be done
Boris Boyka
#764 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 4:08:23 PM

watesh wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

Very soreeee @Obiero Sad Sad
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
Impunity
#765 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 4:25:38 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
watesh wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

What are the advantages of flat rates vis a vis reducing balance for a bank/lender?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

FRM2011
#766 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 4:50:55 PM

Impunity wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
watesh wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

What are the advantages of flat rates vis a vis reducing balance for a bank/lender?

This was discovered by CBK 3 years ago hence introduction of APR.

14.5% flat rate is equivalent to 26% reducing balance. You can't fool anyone with it.
karasinga
#767 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:11:37 PM

AND THEN ADD THIS GRAVY
Chair Janet L. Yellen SPEECH
It's not over until I win
skype id: karasinga. email: kkarasinga@gmail.com
Gatheuzi
#768 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:16:25 PM

Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Impunity
#769 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:19:17 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
watesh wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

14.5% flat rate is equivalent to 26% reducing balance. You can't fool anyone with it.

So if the bankers decide to charge loans at 14.5% flat rate then this new law is minced meat? aka dead on arrival!!!!

Gatheuzi
#770 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:21:30 PM

If what I hear is right "the new law only applies to new loans going by today's statement by co-op" why is all this holla ballo about. Impact on banks interest income will take a while to go lower. First because banks will not refinance existing loans because that will be like shotting their @$$ez.

And now back to the MPs who passed the law hoping to coushion themselves after 2017 when we kick them out, how will they benefit? Were they damn to realize this loophole. Now I get it, someone advised this to "Kamwana" no wonder he signed it.

Back to my original question, why all the panick in sellers to bank stocks-are they damn ama naona vitu hakuna? If we give existing loans an average life of 3 years, by the time they are done with us, a new ammendment bill will have been crafted. @MB you are fine. Nothing will hurt your investments as long as existing loans are not affected. @Obiero, your mortgage remains as expensive as ever. @VVS you will keep paying top dollar on your loan even after 25th Sep.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Impunity
#771 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:22:45 PM

Gatheuzi wrote:
If what I hear is right "new law only applies to new loans going by today's statement by co-op" why is all this holla ballo about. Impact on banks interest income will take a while to go lower. First because banks will not refinance existing loans because that will be like shotting their @$$ez.

And now back to the MPs who passed the law hoping to coushion themselves after 2017 when we kick them out, how will they benefit. Were they damn to realize this loophole. Now I get it, someone advised this to "Kamwana" no wonder he signed it.

Back to my original question, why all the panick in sellers? @MB you are fine. Nothing will hurt your investments as long as existing loans are not affected. @Obiero, your mortgage remains as expensive as ever. @VVS you will keep paying top dollar on your loan even after 25th Sep.

What if I take new loan from another bank at 14% and pay off the old loan taken at 21%?

Early termination fee is usually small.

Ama nafikiria vitu zangu?

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

tom_boy
#772 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:24:36 PM

Impunity wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
watesh wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

So if the bankers decide to charge loans at 14.5% flat rate then this new law is minced meat? aka dead on arrival!!!!

Wacha wajaribu. The issue will go to court and the courts will examine the spirit of the law when arriving at a decision. So, what do you think was the spirit of the law when enacted!
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
Impunity
#773 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:33:42 PM

tom_boy wrote:
Impunity wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
watesh wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

Wacha wajaribu. The issue will go to court and the courts will examine the spirit of the law when arriving at a decision. So, what do you think was the spirit of the law when enacted!

I remember vividly the spirit of the law being used to convince @RAO in 2013 to accept and move on.

The spirit then was "...kenya in bigger than an indifichuol..."

The spirit now is "..."

smile smile smile smile

Wakanyugi
#774 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:46:46 PM

KNM wrote:
[quote=Wakanyugi][quote=KNM]This is how I see it playing out, should this law stand.
For one, equilibrium will be reached. So good news for the pro-rate cap crowd. Well sort of...

1. Freeze/slow down in lending: Already began btw. By removing their ability to adequately price the risk into loans(coz thats whats happened!) then better safe than sorry. The leaked memo yesterday was just an example. All will follow suit esp with the unsecured loans.

I don't see banks tightening the noose already around their necks. Banks primary business is to 'buy' and 'sell' money. So they stop doing that and do what? Sell mandazi?

True. But why do you assume that it will be you they sell to? The biggest cheering squad is also the one that will be locked out. Mark you, the law is on rate only. So for existing loans, the duration may be extended outrageously. So if you're cheering your reduced loan...ole wako. Government, external markets are all avenues for growth. Less risky even.

OK, I'll pretend I understand your logic here and say, Good point.

2. Refusal of deposits
Now plenty of people are confused by this. Nobody is saying a bouncer is at the door stopping you from depositing, it means less welcoming(free). Deposits believe it or not cost banks BIG time. Think of costs at point of deposit(branches, agents/cashiers/personnel, platforms), security of the deposits physical(guards, transit vans, safes) or digital(cybersecurity personnel), accounting (systems, personnel). Beforehand deposits paid for their own costs but now someone has to pay. I can guarantee banks are, as we speak, crunching the numbers. Transaction costs will rise(before you jump with the CS approval line, I'm talking about existing fees), ATM charges rising 100%--from around KES 30 to 60+ etc.Notice how personnel featured severally in the deposit-taking costs? Yep, lay-offs. Like I said someone has to pay.

I know a few SACCO's that are salivating at this prospect. Banks are not the only deposit taking institutions around. As for bank layoffs, they have been doing that already.

Are you saying SACCOs will replace banks? And even as they "eat" banks business they swell until they become...? Banks. d'oh!

Have you looked at the latest list of registered SACCO's, or listened to them advertise on Vernacular radio and TV? If Banks never worried before, they should now.

3. Fall of small banks, rise of big(ger) banks.
Big banks will be able to weather the initial credit freeze. Deep pockets mean easy to diversify. Small banks not so much. And its a catch 22 situation for them. Deny credit and not make money. Lend at low rates and be forced to play with volumes game to break even, and with it risk of default shoots. People will see these banks again going under with customer deposits, coz of defaults. So yes M&As will happen but it will be big swallowing small.

Consolidation in the Bank sector, ala Nigeria, is long overdue and if the bill accelerates it, well and good. I never bought the Governors argument about niche banking. It takes size and capital to take niche ideas to scale, which is what ultimately benefits the economy.

So above you welcome competition from SACCOs but here oligopolies are good. Really? Shame on you

This is not about oligopoly. It is about safety through size, the capacity to innovate and scale and to compete outside our borders. We have too many banks for a small economy like Kenya. In any case, one of the worst kept secrets is that Banks in Kenya are a cartel. How else do you think they managed to effect State capture for so long?

4. Fall of production
Forget the car/smartphone buying consumers for a sec. Businesses esp SMEs being locked out from credit access to fuel their expansion/survival. With that, loss of productivity, worsened by being in an election year. Businesses contract and at best, hiring freeze. More likely, further lay offs.

There is little worse that can happen to SME's than is already happening to them now. Think of it: what kind of business could you do that will give you enough returns to service a loan at 25%? As for the fall in consumption lending, I say it can't come soon enough.

SMEs were being weighed down, yes. But now they will be all out starved. In growth, slow>none>negative.

So what is new? You starve me to death (the situation now) or choke me till I die (the new threat). Same difference.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Wakanyugi
#775 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:56:59 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
President Uhuru has been a big disappointment on this one. He turned down the advice of Treasury and Central Bank for political reasons. He promised people lower interest rates in the last campaign and he is going to face them again.

He knows this law is f#*ked up (he was briefed by his technocrats) but he had politics/re-election to think about!! Central Bank as so pissed off they said they will not comment on the signing of the bill. Finance Secretary also refused to comment and referred questions to the Attorney General. Who are these other people who advised him to an extent of disregarding the advice of Treasury and CBK???

A president who is willing to mess the whole financial ecosystem to get re-elected is a big no for me!

But this has guaranteed his re-election!!!! Politics and politicians, it is all about survival smile

I doubt this will help him. I doubt Cordishians will vote for him just because he signed the bill. His die hard supporters would still have voted for him either way.

He has actually lost the votes of some people.

Yes he has lost the votes of Wazuans and their elitist kin. All 900 of them.

Big deal

As I said, as @guru said, he was to be re-elected before the bill and he will be re-elected after the bill. So relax because that is your biggest problem. My biggest problem is the economy so I cannot relax!!!

So, we are catching feelings now, are we?

I thought you tough banksters are supposed to have cash registers for hearts.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
the deal
#776 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 6:09:13 PM

Hello, tough times ...the banking sector used to be a darling o many...even a novice investor could close their eyes and pick a stock to ride...well this is no more...

I think after this purge has exhausted its blood trail & you are still standing...its better to check the following before investing in the sector

1. Banks with less reliance on interest income. A bank like CFC Stanbic comes to mind.

2. Banks whose regional subsidiaries contribute more than 20% of pretax profit I.e I&M & DTB?

3. Banks which dont have alot of corporate fixed deposits.

Impunity
#777 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 6:12:14 PM

the deal wrote:
Hello, tough times ...the banking sector used to be a darling o many...even a novice investor could close their eyes and pick a stock to ride...well this is no more...

I think after this purge has exhausted its blood trail & you are still standing...its better to check the following before investing in the sector

1. Banks with less reliance on interest income. A bank like CFC Stanbic comes to mind.

2. Banks whose regional subsidiaries contribute more than 20% of pretax profit I.e I&M & DTB?

Elaborate point no. 3.

Gatheuzi
#778 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 6:20:19 PM

Impunity wrote:
Gatheuzi wrote:
If what I hear is right "new law only applies to new loans going by today's statement by co-op" why is all this holla ballo about. Impact on banks interest income will take a while to go lower. First because banks will not refinance existing loans because that will be like shotting their @$$ez.

And now back to the MPs who passed the law hoping to coushion themselves after 2017 when we kick them out, how will they benefit. Were they damn to realize this loophole. Now I get it, someone advised this to "Kamwana" no wonder he signed it.

Back to my original question, why all the panick in sellers? @MB you are fine. Nothing will hurt your investments as long as existing loans are not affected. @Obiero, your mortgage remains as expensive as ever. @VVS you will keep paying top dollar on your loan even after 25th Sep.

What if I take new loan from another bank at 14% and pay off the old loan taken at 21%?

Early termination fee is usually small.

Ama nafikiria vitu zangu?

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

I think only a small fraction of the populace will achieve that. If 90% of say expensive unsecured borrowers intend to refinance among say top 5 existing banks this will simply be delt with by the banks talking in one language to cab it. It will also not work for mortgage account holders. The only beneficiaries might be secured corporates/SMEs
the deal
#779 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 6:21:13 PM

Impunity wrote:
the deal wrote:

Elaborate point no. 3.

Most banks will convert savings & fixed deposits to current accounts to avoid paying heavy interest expenses...its easy to convert Kamau's fixed deposit into a current account than for Britam...what you will see going forward is banks coming up with stupid products just to move your account
Pesa Nane
#780 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 6:51:39 PM

the deal wrote:
Impunity wrote:
the deal wrote:

Elaborate point no. 3.

Most banks will convert savings & fixed deposits to current accounts to avoid paying heavy interest expenses...its easy to convert Kamau's fixed deposit into a current account than for Britam...what you will see going forward is banks coming up with stupid products just to move your account

Welcome back @deal, CFC was standing strong today! Even managed a positive movement (+2.04%) on today's trades
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.