wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

151 Pages«<114115116117118>»
Law Capping interest rates
wukan
#2301 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:24:19 AM

KulaRaha wrote:
Even if the rate cap goes away, why will retail credit expand? Most loans are in arrears at 14%, what will happen if banks adjust upwards to 18%?

It's the economy, stupid....

You need to let the market work (willing lender/willing borrower). Efficient allocation of resources is best left to the market not to some committee of bureaucrats and pensioners. Creative destruction needs to happen in the economy. Bad businesses that can't afford to pay at market rate should just die because they are wasting resources. New businesses need that capital to thrive should get it. The economy should not suffer because of zombies. There are many young people who may never find a decent job in their prime years because we are busy propping up zombies like mumias, uchumi. Insolvency laws should deal with those who can't adjust to 18%
tom_boy
#2302 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:54:41 PM

wukan wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Even if the rate cap goes away, why will retail credit expand? Most loans are in arrears at 14%, what will happen if banks adjust upwards to 18%?

You need to let the market work (willing lender/willing borrower). Efficient allocation of resources is best left to the market not to some committee of bureaucrats and pensioners. Creative destruction needs to happen in the economy. Bad businesses that can't afford to pay at market rate should just die because they are wasting resources. New businesses need that capital to thrive should get it. The economy should not suffer because of zombies. There are many young people who may never find a decent job in their prime years because we are busy propping up zombies like mumias, uchumi. Insolvency laws should deal with those who can't adjust to 18%

Very flawed conclusions. Are you saying farmers should compete with mitumba traders for credit at 18%. Its obvious who will win thisshort sighted approach to credit. Eventually, the whole country is the loser.

While EU and America are trying desperately to ensure their farmers are in business by giving subsidies and through market protection, we are busy telling our producers to compete with importers of chinese and japanese junk. Kweli tuko na shida.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
obiero
#2303 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:20:35 PM

tom_boy wrote:
wukan wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Very flawed conclusions. Are you saying farmers should compete with mitumba traders for credit at 18%. Its obvious who will win thisshort sighted approach to credit. Eventually, the whole country is the loser.

While EU and America are trying desperately to ensure their farmers are in business by giving subsidies and through market protection, we are busy telling our producers to compete with importers of chinese and japanese junk. Kweli tuko na shida.

It's a harsh reality @tom_boy.. As I told you once on this very thread, you have brilliant ideas but they are disjointed from the reality of this jungle called Kenya. By the way most of the mitumba traders on the container scale would never borrow as they are cash rich.. The building in which COOP trades along Landhies Road was owned by a mitumba trader named Zipporah Kanyi Wanjiku who sold it to Ukulima Sacco! I too would love to farm, but instead I choose to invest in real estate coz that's where the money is found

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Angelica _ann
#2304 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:56:21 PM

obiero wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
wukan wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

It's a harsh reality @tom_boy.. As I told you once on this very thread, you have brilliant ideas but they are disjointed from the reality of this jungle called Kenya. By the way most of the mitumba traders on the container scale would never borrow as they are cash rich.. The building in which COOP trades along Landhies Road was owned by a mitumba trader named Zipporah Kanyi Wanjiku who sold it to Ukulima Sacco! I too would love to farm, but instead I choose to invest in real estate coz that's where the money is found

Subsidies (like to farmers or a sector)is given by Governments not private institutions like banks!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#2305 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:09:05 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
wukan wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Subsidies (like to farmers or a sector)is given by Governments not private institutions like banks!!!

Wait. Which bank has been given a subsidy by the state

obiero
#2306 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 10:41:36 PM

Ecobank down http://www.businessdaily...062212-96ntei/index.html

MadDoc
#2307 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:38:52 AM

If the Banks accede to KQs demands, will the debts reflect on their books as a write off?
obiero
#2308 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:08:04 AM

MadDoc wrote:
If the Banks accede to KQs demands, will the debts reflect on their books as a write off?

My thinking is that it would be classified as a write off but with a corresponding asset increase classified as listed security, thereafter any gains from sales will be indicated as write backs, with any surplus booked as profit

MadDoc
#2309 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:08:17 PM

obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

My thinking is that it would be classified as a write off but with a corresponding asset increase classified as listed security, thereafter any gains from sales will be indicated as write backs, with any surplus booked as profit

Further drop in profits expected
obiero
#2310 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 7:09:39 AM

MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Further drops in which company? Definitely not Kenya Airways

MadDoc
#2311 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:34:41 AM

obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Further drops in which company? Definitely not Kenya Airways

I meant the Banks.
sparkly
#2312 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 6:15:09 PM

obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Probably write off interest receivable but reclassify the principal loan as from loan to investment.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#2313 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 6:24:29 PM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Probably write off interest receivable but reclassify the principal loan as from loan to investment.

Exactly. There's no other way around this

muandiwambeu
#2314 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:44:17 PM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Why not capitalise interest together with other costs of acquiring the investment at the date of conversion. I believe the consideration at the date of conversion is consists the principal interests accrued:/d and etc
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
obiero
#2315 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 6:53:06 AM

muandiwambeu wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Why not capitalise interest together with other costs of acquiring the investment at the date of conversion. I believe the consideration at the date of conversion is consists the principal interests accrued:/d and etc

The same is not a 'lost' investment but rather a converted debt so ideally any amount not collected shall be accounted in the books

mamilli
#2316 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 9:00:55 PM

obiero wrote:
Partial reversal of the cap now almost guaranteed with a Uhuru win

I bet gava will blink first....

http://www.businessdaily...64280-3pll40z/index.html
Never lose your position in a bull market,BTFD.
quicksand
#2317 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:24:22 AM

mamilli wrote:
obiero wrote:

http://www.businessdaily...4280-3pll40z/index.html

How is CBA doing compared to other banks?
Angelica _ann
#2318 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:31:06 AM

mamilli wrote:
[quote=obiero]Partial reversal of the cap now almost guaranteed with a Uhuru win

http://www.businessdaily...4280-3pll40z/index.html[/quote]

Among our 40+ banks, there is none who is creative and innovative and able to develop ways to exploit this law to their advantage!!! Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
winston
#2319 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:41:28 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
mamilli wrote:
[quote=obiero]Partial reversal of the cap now almost guaranteed with a Uhuru win

http://www.businessdaily...4280-3pll40z/index.html[/quote]

Among our 40+ banks, there is none who is creative and innovative and able to develop ways to exploit this law to their advantage!!! Sad Sad Sad

@Angelica...that advantage must outweigh other existing opportunities on a risk adjusted basis. Currently it will be hard to beat investing in T/bonds on a risk adjusted basis.
Ngalaka
#2320 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:28:10 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
mamilli wrote:
obiero wrote:

http://www.businessdaily...4280-3pll40z/index.html

Good question to the proponents of the interest caps as it stands currently.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu