wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

18 Pages«<34567>»
Safaricom FY 2016 results net profit up 19.6%
mlennyma
#81 Posted : Monday, July 04, 2016 10:34:30 AM

Vodafone has signalled that it might consider moving its headquarters out of the UK given uncertainty about how many of the “positive attributes” of being in the EU will remain once Britain has left the bloc. The telecommunication company owns a large proportion of Safaricom in Kenya and any decisions made might just affect the popularly traded counter. Vodafone said the UK’s membership of the EU had been an important factor in the growth of the company, stressing that freedom of movement of people, capital and goods was integral to the operation of any pan-European business, as are single legal frameworks spanning all member states. (Source: The Irish Times, Afriscope Research)
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
murchr
#82 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2016 7:44:01 PM

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
enyands
#83 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2016 7:49:51 PM

murchr wrote:

No comments
watesh
#84 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2016 10:46:26 PM

enyands wrote:
murchr wrote:

No comments

Quite a safe investment with high growth and high dividends.
Ebenyo
#85 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2016 11:17:54 PM

murchr wrote:

That's a vote of confidence in safaricom company.Unless the structure of the company shareholding changes,things will just be fine.
1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%
The only unreliable partner so far here is Gok.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Akenyan2014
#86 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 12:59:35 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

That's a vote of confidence in safaricom company.Unless the structure of the company shareholding changes,things will just be fine.
1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

-It is GOK that gave birth to Saf.
-Gok has consistently provided the right environment in terms of regulation, taxation and generally healthy business environment for this and other companies to continue to thrive.
-I think no. 3 could be the unreliable partner by joining the opposition and propagating fear in the market environment.
Ebenyo
#87 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 4:30:37 PM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

-Gok has consistently provided the right environment in terms of regulation, taxation and generally healthy business environment for this and other companies to continue to thrive.
-I think no. 3 could be the unreliable partner by joining the opposition and propagating fear in the market environment.

Can you confidently relie on someone whose three quater of his annual budget is reccurent expenditure?
The other day Rotich presented a 2.1 trillion budget.1.3 trillion was expenditure.600 billion went to service debt interests.This person does not know how to invest and grow returns.Its just spend and borrow.Is that a reliable partner?
Ebenyo
#88 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 4:34:54 PM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

murchr
#89 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 5:13:14 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Can you confidently relie on someone whose three quater of his annual budget is reccurent expenditure?
The other day Rotich presented a 2.1 trillion budget.1.3 trillion was expenditure.600 billion went to service debt interests.This person does not know how to invest and grow returns.Its just spend and borrow.Is that a reliable partner?

Very useless kind of thinking
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ebenyo
#90 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 6:38:47 PM

murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Expenses does not grow wealth.It grows poverty.True and lasting wealth is created through a disciplined saving and robust investment.If you think Gok is so much reliable as an investment partner what happened to mumias,kq and eaep?.Gok is just about eat,sleep and drink politics.Everything is politicised down the middle.We cant eat politics.Gok will not build wealth to our nation throw borrowing to spend.Thats the single most aspect of their unreliability as an investment partner.That attitude informs the policy making.Look at the other firms they are in 70% shareholding like kenya power.Policy is influenced left and right hence affecting perfomance.There is too much political influence.
Safaricom has done so well mainly because vodafone wont allow Gok to bring politics in the business.
murchr
#91 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 6:52:52 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Expenses does not grow wealth.It grows poverty.True and lasting wealth is created through a disciplined saving and robust investment.If you think Gok is so much reliable as an investment partner what happened to mumias,kq and eaep?.Gok is just about eat,sleep and drink politics.Everything is politicised down the middle.We cant eat politics.Gok will not build wealth to our nation throw borrowing to spend.Thats the single most aspect of their unreliability as an investment partner.That attitude informs the policy making.Look at the other firms they are in 70% shareholding like kenya power.Policy is influenced left and right hence affecting perfomance.There is too much political influence.
Safaricom has done so well mainly because vodafone wont allow Gok to bring politics in the business.

Your discussion is irrelevant to this thread. The role of Govt to business is being an enabler by building infrastructure and policy. The latter requires money.

On Safaricom, GOK is a very good partner because when it comes to policy formulation Safcom is covered. The rest is nonesense. Its not the gok that led to the downfall of KQ Mumias of EAPC. You just dont know what you are talking about.
sparkly
#92 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 6:54:54 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Government does not operate on earn, save, invest cycle. Public finance is about spending, borrowing and taxing. Whatever the government spends today is underwritten by taxes to be collected tomorrow.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ebenyo
#93 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 7:36:28 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Government does not operate on earn, save, invest cycle. Public finance is about spending, borrowing and taxing. Whatever the government spends today is underwritten by taxes to be collected tomorrow.

In Africa,we are poor because we dont know how to get the best out of the little resources we have.We are enslaved in the poverty mentality cycle of spend,spend and spend.Kwani tutategemea misaada ya wazungu mpaka lini? And the wazungus are really happy to continue colonising us through the bilateral agreements which are tilted in their favour.Sisi bora tukule tu,tuchape siasa 24/7 na masiku iende mbele.These clearly disregard wealth creation for our future generation.If USA could have been founded on the principles of EXPENDITURE,it would not have been the big economy its today.
SAFARICOM is a good company based on the structure laid down.Thats why this pension scheme invested in it.But im very weary of my Gok partner because of the reasons i have expounded.Vodafone so far so good.
VituVingiSana
#94 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 7:38:19 PM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Back in the day only one firm was allowed to have a telcoms license and that was KPTC (the forerunner of Telkom). Safaricom was a moribund firm with a monopoly or wireless which is why Vodafone came into the picture.

If I have the power, as did GoK, to assign exclusive licenses, I can 'give birth' to any number of firms that I own. It doesn't make me a genius.

Furthermore, if I can set the policies, then I have every incentive to favor my 'child' by not allowing competition eg the drama behind Econet's license. The Command and Control regime benefits me.

If I am the Police, Prosecutor, Judge, Jury and Executioner... I will be successful as long I do not allow competition.

Mumias - When private sugar millers were not allowed to operate, the GoK millers did well.
KQ - It had/has a monopoly on most flights abroad. The Heathrow slot was a freebie assigned to KQ courtesy of bilateral agreements.
EAPCC - When there were just 2 firms with price controls, EAPCC did OK. EAPCC was 'allocated' the huge tracts of land. When ARM came into the picture, EAPCC stagnated. Then came others like Simba & Nyumba and EAPCC is almost dead.
NBK - It still survives on the largesse of GoK. For all we know, it is technically bankrupt. It failed to meet all of CBK's ratios. Compare Equity vs NBK from 1996 to 2016. Or Family Bank. Or I&M. Or NIC.

Even one of my 'favorites' KenyaRe has a monopoly of sorts with a compulsory 20% cession from local insurers. Furthermore, it invested in certain reinsurers by virtue of being the "GoK" representative.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ebenyo
#95 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 9:11:58 PM

murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Your discussion is irrelevant to this thread. The role of Govt to business is being an enabler by building infrastructure and policy. The latter requires money.

On Safaricom, GOK is a very good partner because when it comes to policy formulation Safcom is covered. The rest is nonesense. Its not the gok that led to the downfall of KQ Mumias of EAPC. You just dont know what you are talking about.

Your status here in this wazua site is 'elder' with 9000 posts and 4 years old.Im a 'member' with just 190 posts and 3 months old.You ought to have known here in wazua we talk serious talk about wealth.The reason this site was started was to help people share ideas on wealth creation and not poverty creation.You have used strong language like"useless thinking" and "you dont know what you are talking about".That language does not befit you as an elder of wazua.Its very disrespectful and its not the spirit of wazua.If you go through my posts here in wazua,i try to help the Hellos and newfarers as i learn from the elders and chiefs.Here we share what we know and learn from others.I hope ADMIN is watching.
murchr
#96 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2016 10:19:29 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Your status here in this wazua site is 'elder' with 9000 posts and 4 years old.Im a 'member' with just 190 posts and 3 months old.You ought to have known here in wazua we talk serious talk about wealth.The reason this site was started was to help people share ideas on wealth creation and not poverty creation.You have used strong language like"useless thinking" and "you dont know what you are talking about".That language does not befit you as an elder of wazua.Its very disrespectful and its not the spirit of wazua.If you go through my posts here in wazua,i try to help the Hellos and newfarers as i learn from the elders and chiefs.Here we share what we know and learn from others.I hope ADMIN is watching.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Even admin knows we call out nonsense on this sight. If you still dont understand what the role of govt is to businesses then you have a long way to go. Huko green section, you will find people willing to entertain you but here, in the blue, you are out of place. Sorry if it was harsh
Ebenyo
#97 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2016 7:01:48 AM

murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Even admin knows we call out nonsense on this sight. If you still dont understand what the role of govt is to businesses then you have a long way to go. Huko green section, you will find people willing to entertain you but here, in the blue, you are out of place. Sorry if it was harsh

Its the first time someone has been very rough on me since i joined wazua.I have enjoyed good company of guys like VVS,enyands,Aguy,ericsson,obiero,pesa nane,swenani,plimsoul and mkate nusu.Im a serious long term investor who is after sustainable wealth.Im not a speculator who is after short term gains.In all the counters,i take a long term view.Here in SAFARICOM im in a very long term mode.Its my right to be judgemental on any investment partner be it a govt,institution or an individual.Its my money at stake.I dont want a situation like UCHUMI to happen to me or to my next of kin.I read very many posts here in wazua some dated back 2009.Not very many people would like to buy in a company associated with Merali,Matu wamae and Gok.I know you interpreted things politically but i hate politics because its the number one source of poverty.
Im in the right section of wazua where i enjoy the company of like minded individuals.I hate idle discussions.My time is for wealth creation ideas.I have chosen this dialogue with you because i respect the virtues of this site and the vision of founders.I believe i will be rich if i buy shares in valuable companies listed in NSE for longterm.I ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY.
enyands
#98 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2016 7:41:10 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Its the first time someone has been very rough on me since i joined wazua.I have enjoyed good company of guys like VVS,enyands,Aguy,ericsson,obiero,pesa nane,swenani,plimsoul and mkate nusu.Im a serious long term investor who is after sustainable wealth.Im not a speculator who is after short term gains.In all the counters,i take a long term view.Here in SAFARICOM im in a very long term mode.Its my right to be judgemental on any investment partner be it a govt,institution or an individual.Its my money at stake.I dont want a situation like UCHUMI to happen to me or to my next of kin.I read very many posts here in wazua some dated back 2009.Not very many people would like to buy in a company associated with Merali,Matu wamae and Gok.I know you interpreted things politically but i hate politics because its the number one source of poverty.
Im in the right section of wazua where i enjoy the company of like minded individuals.I hate idle discussions.My time is for wealth creation ideas.I have chosen this dialogue with you because i respect the virtues of this site and the vision of founders.I believe i will be rich if i buy shares in valuable companies listed in NSE for lon5gterm.I ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY.

Ebenyo I see you going far than many of us. You are never afraid to ask, and when judged harshly you stand by your wits. You and Murchir are example of maturity of willing to listen,guide and friendly exhibit difference but forgive . Karibu wazua let's pull each other up than tear ourselves down.Applause Applause Applause
Ebenyo
#99 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2016 8:28:03 AM

enyands wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
murchr wrote:

1.Vodafone-40%
2.Gok-35%
3.Free float-25%

Im in the right section of wazua where i enjoy the company of like minded individuals.I hate idle discussions.My time is for wealth creation ideas.I have chosen this dialogue with you because i respect the virtues of this site and the vision of founders.I believe i will be rich if i buy shares in valuable companies listed in NSE for lon5gterm.I ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY.

Ebenyo I see you going far than many of us. You are never afraid to ask, and when judged harshly you stand by your wits. You and Murchir are example of maturity of willing to listen,guide and friendly exhibit difference but forgive . Karibu wazua let's pull each other up than tear ourselves down.Applause Applause Applause

Thanks Enyands for your kind regards.Im humbled.
I agree with you.We need to pull each other up.
To create, grow and sustain a lasting investment holding in our kenyan economy is not easy.Its far more difficult for some of us who are literally beggining from the scratch.We need others very much.Wazua fits much better as its a good platform to get information,share and learn from others.
Aguytrying
#100 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2016 8:00:48 PM

@Ebenyo. I share your school of thought. I don't trust gava as a major shareholder. Infact I maintain that safcom and kcb are case studies. Whatever methods that are used in those 2 firms are working. It's very interesting why they are not plagued by the mediocrity, laissez-faire and corruption of of other gava firms and parastatals.
Don't let the titles elder and chief fool you were all learning. Even some who've been here a long time. I have watched with dismay as gava led firms have wiped out peoples portfolios here. No one can tell me otherwise. And it all boils down to corruption and how gava firms are managed. They don't really belong to anyone no one cares.
I'm also a long term investor and that's why I'm very sensitive on where I invest my money and my co- shareholders. Keep the wazua spirit burning.

Safcom should be in everyones portfolio at the right price, one day we'll get a chance
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself