wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<23456>»
House Sinks in Huruma
kiash
#61 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:39:30 PM

Tal a walk to NYC suburbs and Amsterdam canals...we have houses which were built 200 years ago by the water canals and still standing strong.

What might have made this house to sink is simply poor workmanship! Please deposit this to #Kumisa Sacco in Kiambu.

Now for Home Science graduates like @washiku and you,that house had a poor foundation, they used normal cement in an area which is 100% waterlogged year round...so what happened? The structure slowly sipped water by way of capilarity (Home science grads can google)...the structure became waterlogged and soggey like cabbage airport...then on the ultimate day,the structure simply gave in to its own weight.

Hiyo story ya riparian ambiya dimwits...if the guy built on a grabbed riparian sawa, jail him...but the house did not crumble because it was built on a river.

West-ket and Nakumatt UK are built inside the same river, they havent crumbled...I am sure they used the right cement and skill.

Beat me up now.

[/quote]

I agree with the above. Europeans have been building in the "riparian zone" for hundreds of years bila shida. Maybe we need to learn the skills from them.

[/quote]

They have started falling apart after cruise ships increase but all the same 400 yrs and still going. Huruma 2012 already down.
kiash
#62 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:44:11 PM

masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Blaming Kidero/Nema for this is akin to chasing a phantom, they are responsible for all decisions affecting such constructions but ultimately, they rely on minions to do their jobs.

I read in today's papers that the 2 slumlords are to be charged with manslaughter. A fair decision as they are directly responsible for the construction.

I would also like to see a specific county employee, NEMA employee, the contractor and Architect (I am sure the last 2 do not exist) responsible for approving this building face similar charges. Let this employees implicate their bosses if they can demonstrate that negligence was delegated.

If responsibility needs to be scaled up, then why stop it at the Governor, how about take it all the way to the president, at the end of the day, he is the president of all of Kenya.

I am in agreement! there is also a level of personal responsibility that we as citizens should also take. People are careless with their lives and the lives of their families. How do you live in such a house and pay rent? really? then one hears fatalistic statements like "Oh.... Mungu ndio anatuchunga"... "Oh.... Mimi ni masikini".... Listen... hata kama wewe ni masikini level gani - you should know your life is not as cheep as you think. I am sure Lucy Kibaki would have paid millions to get that "life" you have. Why would you then just live it like it doesn't matter? why relegate yourself and your family's lives to statistics to be used during campaigns??? I know there are others in the blame chain but the 1st person who should be blamed is YOU! not all "poor" people live in dangling houses... tuwache ushenzi at a personal level... seriously! we cannot continue losing lives to stupid decisions and then make these lives political fodder. Oh... Kidero.... Oh Planner... hii ni 3rd world... take care of your life and that of your loved ones.

They should go to court too for putting their lives in danger. Sad Sad
tom_boy
#63 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:57:48 PM

masukuma wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
[quote=masukuma]
@Masukuma, I sympathise with you. May you never ever have to make tough decisions like " Do I eat this mouldy bread or go without food?"

In my opinion, Kidero and his boys n girls are to blame. It is there duty to make sure such buildings are not constructed and if they are, they should not be habited.

Secondly, blame the owners. However, I wonder what will happen in law when owners present NEMA certificates and building plans duly authorised by Kanju.

wewe sympathise tu! wacha watu waendelee vivyo hivyo!! living carelessly then blaming people they have never met for their woes. Kama Kidero and co wangefanya kazi yao ya manyumba hawa watu wangelala wapi? Tuwache kuwa irresponsible - take control of your life and don't be fatalistic... hii ujinga ndio imetujaa. Maisha ni yako sio ya kidero!

So, since many accidents involving public transport vehicles occur around festive season, do you advice people not to travell in buses to shags. Our buses are death traps compared to say long distance buses in the. US. So, using your train of thought, we should take controll and shun buses. Better still we should vote with our feet and get off a speeding bus, never mind its at night and in the middle of no where.

I insist, the authorities are to blame, first and foremost.

In life, we all make decisions based on a probable future vs definite present. You buy a car hoping to ease your present reality at the risk of a probable future accident sometimes through manufacturers defect. Do you blame the car buyer or the manufacturer if a manufacturers defect causes an accident.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
alma1
#64 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 8:07:56 PM

tom_boy wrote:
masukuma wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
[quote=masukuma]
@Masukuma, I sympathise with you. May you never ever have to make tough decisions like " Do I eat this mouldy bread or go without food?"

In my opinion, Kidero and his boys n girls are to blame. It is there duty to make sure such buildings are not constructed and if they are, they should not be habited.

Secondly, blame the owners. However, I wonder what will happen in law when owners present NEMA certificates and building plans duly authorised by Kanju.

wewe sympathise tu! wacha watu waendelee vivyo hivyo!! living carelessly then blaming people they have never met for their woes. Kama Kidero and co wangefanya kazi yao ya manyumba hawa watu wangelala wapi? Tuwache kuwa irresponsible - take control of your life and don't be fatalistic... hii ujinga ndio imetujaa. Maisha ni yako sio ya kidero!

So, since many accidents involving public transport vehicles occur around festive season, do you advice people not to travell in buses to shags. Our buses are death traps compared to say long distance buses in the. US. So, using your train of thought, we should take controll and shun buses. Better still we should vote with our feet and get off a speeding bus, never mind its at night and in the middle of no where.

I insist, the authorities are to blame, first and foremost.

Masukuma shall not tell you that this house should not have been there in the first place. It took the place of a building that was going to have legal paperwork done. But ohhh no, this landlord who visits wazua asking advise on how to build a house cheap and is told that he can get rid of the architect, buys the kabroti. Houses crushing may be caused by too many tenants, but safety is a gov't issue. We know they took bribes.

Impunity shall tell us about strange houses in kiash land that somehow never fall. He's very articulate about the quality of engineers we have in Kenya. Yet, he's failed to explain why these "qualified" engineers build houses that kill people.

The reason why we have Nema, Engineers, Architect boards, local governments etc is to precisely avoid such calamities from being a a commond day occurrence. Their work is not to blame the victim asking him to carry a rental pass ie more laws, but to specifically ensure that houses are built to set standards. And rogue engineers are arrested.

Otherwise there is no reason to have these people.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

hardwood
#65 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 9:09:13 PM

Did I just see on TV baba being teargassed in huruma?
hardwood
#66 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 9:21:10 PM

hardwood wrote:

Haiya the star newspaper is saying he was teargassed to save him from a crowd that was very angry with him.

http://www.the-star.co.k...o-visit-huruma_c1343920

Quote:
Witnesses said the youths approached the Opposition leaders for greetings but were repulsed by their security.

"Some of the youths began throwing stones at the leaders while others poured water on them from the building," one told the Star.
tycho
#67 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 9:59:51 PM

masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Blaming Kidero/Nema for this is akin to chasing a phantom, they are responsible for all decisions affecting such constructions but ultimately, they rely on minions to do their jobs.

I read in today's papers that the 2 slumlords are to be charged with manslaughter. A fair decision as they are directly responsible for the construction.

I would also like to see a specific county employee, NEMA employee, the contractor and Architect (I am sure the last 2 do not exist) responsible for approving this building face similar charges. Let this employees implicate their bosses if they can demonstrate that negligence was delegated.

If responsibility needs to be scaled up, then why stop it at the Governor, how about take it all the way to the president, at the end of the day, he is the president of all of Kenya.

I am in agreement! there is also a level of personal responsibility that we as citizens should also take. People are careless with their lives and the lives of their families. How do you live in such a house and pay rent? really? then one hears fatalistic statements like "Oh.... Mungu ndio anatuchunga"... "Oh.... Mimi ni masikini".... Listen... hata kama wewe ni masikini level gani - you should know your life is not as cheep as you think. I am sure Lucy Kibaki would have paid millions to get that "life" you have. Why would you then just live it like it doesn't matter? why relegate yourself and your family's lives to statistics to be used during campaigns??? I know there are others in the blame chain but the 1st person who should be blamed is YOU! not all "poor" people live in dangling houses... tuwache ushenzi at a personal level... seriously! we cannot continue losing lives to stupid decisions and then make these lives political fodder. Oh... Kidero.... Oh Planner... hii ni 3rd world... take care of your life and that of your loved ones.

@Masukuma, these sentiments are not realistic. You are a 'mwenye shibe asiemjua mwenye njaa' trying to project bourgeois attitude to peasants and flogging them for not keeping up.
murchr
#68 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 10:18:28 PM

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#69 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 10:33:33 PM

Kenny Kaburu wrote:
PIPELINE ESTATE IS A CEMETRY FOR THE LIVING

If there was ever a minor tremor in pipeline, Embakasi, God forbid, Nairobi City would be inhabitable for months. The stench of rotting human flesh would reach high heavens. More than 100,000 people live here. In storeyed heaps of cheap cement, sand and dust. Chuma ni wewe na watu wenu

I have lived in pipeline for more than a decade. I can take you to more than 30, eight-storeyed heaps of dust held together by nothing but the love of God. Children enjoying the echo and tremors of the buildings as they stamp their little feet in excitement. As you walk up the stairs, the building wiggles precariously beneath you like those childhood storeyed buildings of stack maize cobs. It only took a bad look at the house of maize cobs by your jealous friend to bring it tumbling down.

We used to call Pipeline buildings ‘GMO flats’. This is because it only took a weekend to find the shortcut you took to job on Friday was now a towering 8-storeyed house, fully occupied on Monday. Buildings here are built day and night. There is a mad rush to make money from the desperate Kenyans who majority earn an average KSh 6,000 PM from the Wahindi businesses at the adjacent Industrial area.

This cadre of Kenyans cannot be fully classified as humans. Unlike real humans, they can work from Monday to Monday with no rest and proudly take home 6k. Imagine these kind of humans walk to work daily at 5am and get back to the heap of storeyed dust at 7pm. The county council of Nairobi actually classifies them as pigs. The roads to the ‘estates’ are maintained at best in a muddy fashion. Perfect habitat for pigs. Thank you City Council! Our only fear is the health department ruling ‘No pigs in town’ and forcing us back to shags.

It’s for that reason we chose to keep quite lest we attract unnecessary attention from the city animal department. As we wait for our turn for the coveted presidential visit as we emerge from the rubbles as dusty heroes…in full glare of the cameras. With the teary governor giving interviews to the press and promising action.”
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
kiash
#70 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 11:09:50 PM

http://www.standardmedia...ty-buildings-in-nairobi

Even if we are angry with Kidero, these stupid people should also be made to pay. I said they are putting their lives and that of others in danger, when the bulding collapses, they bring in NYS to go look for survivors on the debris, these young people do not even have helmets.

Hawa wajinga waletewe GSU. The guy is talking about a deposit. I know it might be hard to recoup the deposit but their is life and he lives to work for more than the deposit he is talking about.Ati the gava relocates them, so will the person in South C if the house is flooded.
They should be relocated and take to Runda.
harrydre
#71 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:41:01 AM

hardwood wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Haiya the star newspaper is saying he was teargassed to save him from a crowd that was very angry with him.

Quote:
Witnesses said the youths approached the Opposition leaders for greetings but were repulsed by their security.

"Some of the youths began throwing stones at the leaders while others poured water on them from the building," one told the Star.

@1.40, did that idiet just squeeze himself between fire engine's tyres?
i.am.back!!!!
geofreygachie
#72 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:09:01 PM

harrydre wrote:
hardwood wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Quote:

@1.40, did that idiet just squeeze himself between fire engine's tyres?

Hiding from the teargas Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
penkon
#73 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 9:44:30 PM

what happened to kihonge building that collapsed back in 2006?
kimanimsc
#74 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:18:11 PM

penkon wrote:
what happened to kihonge building that collapsed back in 2006?

Kihonge rebuilt the property as the case continued to drag in court.
Read more at: http://www.standardmedia...-over-lack-of-compliance
harrydre
#75 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 4:58:54 AM

People should value their own lives hata kama ni umasikini. Even if the rent was zero, why would someone risk by living in a clearly marked for demolition building?
i.am.back!!!!
washiku
#76 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:39:25 AM

Don't worry no more guys. RAO has given directions on the way forward.

masukuma
#77 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 9:22:12 AM

murchr wrote:
Kenny Kaburu wrote:
PIPELINE ESTATE IS A CEMETRY FOR THE LIVING

If there was ever a minor tremor in pipeline, Embakasi, God forbid, Nairobi City would be inhabitable for months. The stench of rotting human flesh would reach high heavens. More than 100,000 people live here. In storeyed heaps of cheap cement, sand and dust. Chuma ni wewe na watu wenu

I have lived in pipeline for more than a decade. I can take you to more than 30, eight-storeyed heaps of dust held together by nothing but the love of God. Children enjoying the echo and tremors of the buildings as they stamp their little feet in excitement. As you walk up the stairs, the building wiggles precariously beneath you like those childhood storeyed buildings of stack maize cobs. It only took a bad look at the house of maize cobs by your jealous friend to bring it tumbling down.

People seem to forget we had a swarm of earth quakes whose epi center was Ol donyo lengai (120km from Nairobi as the crow flies or as the earth quake moves) between July and September 2007 peaking with 5.9 earth quake some 9 years ago...
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
washiku
#78 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 9:56:01 AM

Impunity wrote:
kiash wrote:
[quote=hardwood]How do you even excavate the foundation for the building in such a situation? What happened to the 30m riparian zone on each side of the river? Kidero? Nema?

Hata hiyo hapo nyuma itakuwa next.

Now for Home Science graduates like @washiku and you,that house had a poor foundation, they used normal cement in an area which is 100% waterlogged year round...so what happened? The structure slowly sipped water by way of capilarity (Home science grads can google)...the structure became waterlogged and soggey like cabbage airport...then on the ultimate day,the structure simply gave in to its own weight.

Sad Sad Must you drag @Washiku in all your trips, including your trips to the loo? Have some bit of mercy and spare him the awful smell. He doesn't mind the home science degree(or is it a diploma?), as long as through it he feeds his daughter and that way she will never come to beg for bread from you.
Impunity
#79 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 10:09:23 AM

washiku wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kiash wrote:
[quote=hardwood]How do you even excavate the foundation for the building in such a situation? What happened to the 30m riparian zone on each side of the river? Kidero? Nema?

Hata hiyo hapo nyuma itakuwa next.

Sad Sad Must you drag @Washiku in all your trips, including your trips to the loo? Have some bit of mercy and spare him the awful smell. He doesn't mind the home science degree(or is it a diploma?), as long as through it he feeds his daughter and that way she will never come to beg for bread from you.

Oh!
You've just seen this, too late.

Pole for the loo smell.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Obi 1 Kanobi
#80 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 10:47:47 AM

So far I have not heard anyone issuing evacuation orders for the other 100 condemned buildings that the Nairobi County Govt was talking about, ama we are waiting for another building to collapse.

Seriously what is wrong with our leadershipd'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins