wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
DTB FY15 earnings up 11.4%
VituVingiSana
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:02:31 PM

obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
@Vvs do you see Equity having a better day in regional expansion through mobile banking cooperation with Airtel given airtel has more foot in other African countries?

@vvs knows very little about banking so I will take the liberty of answering on his behalf! Equity can only achieve massive mobile success in Kenya. Even UG and TZ have refused to catch the 'mpesa' buzz.. Its a Kenyan thing for now. And to make matters worse, the tie up between KCB &SCOM has left the brown bank naked.. They will survive though.. But KCB will be head and shoulders above

I am not a banking expert but I was fortunate enough to get a peek [with others] at the Equity 3.0 Roadmap. I was blown away. BLOWN AWAY.

Equity is testing Equitel in Kenya. I expect RW will be next since it is easier to pilot it in a smaller ex-Kenya country/market to learn the ropes. Then UG. I expect TZ will come much later after Equity sees how it works in UG.

During the presentation, Mwangi said growth is DRC [huge country] will be driven by Mobile Banking 1) Easier 2) Safer 3) Cheaper.

KCB/Safaricom is a formidable competitor who used political means, lawsuits and even sabotage to slow down Equitel but they failed. So in Kenya, KCB/Safaricom may dominate for a few more years but Equity/Equitel will steal a march over KCB in UG, RW and TZ.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
watesh
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:04:15 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
@Vvs do you see Equity having a better day in regional expansion through mobile banking cooperation with Airtel given airtel has more foot in other African countries?

@vvs knows very little about banking so I will take the liberty of answering on his behalf! Equity can only achieve massive mobile success in Kenya. Even UG and TZ have refused to catch the 'mpesa' buzz.. Its a Kenyan thing for now. And to make matters worse, the tie up between KCB &SCOM has left the brown bank naked.. They will survive though.. But KCB will be head and shoulders above

Memba has thrown regional expansion into the deep freezer

Good thinking, now time to grow those subsidiaries. The remaining countries in southern africa are pretty small so not much is being lost
VituVingiSana
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:04:34 PM

enyands wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

Same thing with kk.expansion should be handled with extreme caution .

When @AGuy asked about NIC vs I&M vs DTB ... all 3 are cautious about (over)expansion. And I like that. We saw what happened at KQ.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Aguytrying
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:05:05 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
obiero wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

Same thing with kk.expansion should be handled with extreme caution .

When @AGuy asked about NIC vs I&M vs DTB ... all 3 are cautious about (over)expansion. And I like that. We saw what happened at KQ.

Uchumi before 2006.... The casualties are many.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
obiero
#25 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 6:16:32 AM

all in all, a strong showing by DTB..

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Pesa Nane
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:38:15 PM

Aguytrying wrote:

I'm conflicted as follows. I want to hold 3 banking counters. Two tier 1. Kcb, equity. And one tier 2. Nic or Dtb or I M.

Or one tier 1 and two tier 2. But this seems abit risky.

Equity is a no brainer in both cases. Between kcb, nic, Dtb, I M. Which 2 should I pick??

I've already started buying nic and kcb below 40. But I'm still undecided. It's really confusing

Fundamentals in visual (Figures lifted from D&BIB)
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
PKoli
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 3:36:34 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

I'm conflicted as follows. I want to hold 3 banking counters. Two tier 1. Kcb, equity. And one tier 2. Nic or Dtb or I M.

Equity is a no brainer in both cases. Between kcb, nic, Dtb, I M. Which 2 should I pick??

I've already started buying nic and kcb below 40. But I'm still undecided. It's really confusing

@Pesa nane,

Check market capitalisation values. They are not correct
VituVingiSana
#28 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 3:44:40 PM

PKoli wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

@Pesa nane,

^o Liar Liar Not unexpected from D&B. Nice catch by @PKoli. Does anyone have the data/numbers prepared or compiled by Kestrel or African Alliance?
Pesa Nane
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 6:47:52 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

@Pesa nane,

^o Liar Liar Not unexpected from D&B. Nice catch by @PKoli. Does anyone have the data/numbers prepared or compiled by Kestrel or African Alliance?

Noted. Source error and not a misrepresentation.
Figures can be corrected by working on multiples of 100 and 1000 (perhaps 0 means nothing smile )
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Aguytrying
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 7:58:11 PM

@pesa nane. Thanks. Seeing the figures stacked up like that confirms what I'm doing. NIC is cheap. PB and pe wise,and that's why I started buying. Equity, Dtb still highly valued compared to their peers. Kcb is just around the sweet spot. Though I'd like the PB abit lower, can't have it all. Kcb eps looks disproportionate, esp compared with equity judging that they both experienced similar head winds in ss. Kcb, nic. 70- 80.00 in the next rise easy
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
VituVingiSana
#31 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 11:34:20 PM

@Aguy - I had a look (again) at NIC's NPLs, its Provisions and its Provisions/NPLs. I suggest you do so again.
A pity I&M hasn't released results so we can compare the 3 Tier 2 banks.
Aguytrying
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:40:09 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
@Aguy - I had a look (again) at NIC's NPLs, its Provisions and its Provisions/NPLs. I suggest you do so again.

I have seen the NIC Non perfoming loans. Its ground shaking. No wonder market has punished the share. DTB compared, its a no brainer vs NIC. good regional spread. low NPLS. The only real competitior now is vs I&M. But DTB gets the nod from coz of Aghakan management. Profits wise. they were neck and neck last year.

At 180, i should've been sweeping DTB off the shelf. Pre and post bonus ill be looking for opportunities to strike. I&M is really good. Better div yeild, similar agression, intersting geographic spread. (NIC 97% profits from Kenya!)

To think DTB 3-4 years ago was at 90.00. This is a share that will just keep growing and giving decent consistent returns to share holders.
Aguytrying
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:41:22 PM

@VVS. After looking At I&M and DTB I've decided to invest in both. So. Kcb, equity, Dtb and I&M are my banks from now on.
Aguytrying
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:44:38 PM

@VVS. After looking At I&M and DTB I've decided to invest in both. IM is too good a bank to ignore. Those 2 are going places. So. Kcb, equity, Dtb and I&M are my banks from now on.
Boris Boyka
#35 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 7:50:25 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
@VVS. After looking At I&M and DTB I've decided to invest in both. IM is too good a bank to ignore. Those 2 are going places. So. Kcb, equity, Dtb and I&M are my banks from now on.

Good evening the buyer, so what % will these banks be of your portfolio. I saw you discouraged exposure to financials or am I dreaming!
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
VituVingiSana
#36 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:13:58 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

I have seen the NIC Non perfoming loans. Its ground shaking. No wonder market has punished the share. DTB compared, its a no brainer vs NIC. good regional spread. low NPLS. The only real competitior now is vs I&M. But DTB gets the nod from coz of Aghakan management. Profits wise. they were neck and neck last year.

At 180, i should've been sweeping DTB off the shelf. Pre and post bonus ill be looking for opportunities to strike. I&M is really good. Better div yeild, similar agression, intersting geographic spread. (NIC 97% profits from Kenya!)

To think DTB 3-4 years ago was at 90.00. This is a share that will just keep growing and giving decent consistent returns to share holders.

Unlike @Obiero you are looking at 'real' numbers not pie in the sky projections. I believe NIC will be a-OK but for now they should look at a Rights Issue [& Tier 2 funds] to boost their capital. The NPLs need to be restructured and the process to ring-fence collateral is important.
The NPLs will convert into (huge) provisions, if not repaid or restructured, in Q1.
Aguytrying
#37 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:49:38 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

Good evening the buyer, so what % will these banks be of your portfolio. I saw you discouraged exposure to financials or am I dreaming!

Ha ha. "The buyer". No more than 40%. I'll be having around 12 stocks by that time. You'll be happy to know that I'm planning to sell the NIC that I have been picking up over-the-last six months.
Arconnrk
#38 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:12:01 AM

Aguytrying wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

Ha ha. "The buyer". No more than 40%. I'll be having around 12 stocks by that time. You'll be happy to know that I'm planning to sell the NIC that I have been picking up over-the-last six months.

Applause Great choices @aguy. As @VVS noted it will be good to compare once I&m announces.
Even the birds can testify...but you forget the chief has his son as the judge and his son-in-law as interpreter- Oumar Ba
PKoli
#39 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:29:10 AM

Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,
What was the main cause of increased NPLs for NIC?
sparkly
#40 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:16:01 AM

Arconnrk wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

Applause Great choices @aguy. As @VVS noted it will be good to compare once I&m announces.

Similar size, market segment, growth, stock price. If its diversification you are looking for, i don't see any in these choices. If you just want to have the two in your portfolio, we cant argue with that.
Life is short. Live passionately.