wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
KRA Rant
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:07:24 AM

So today I woke up feeling very patriotic enough to pay my honest taxes. In Matatu parlance it is called 1080 aka advanced tax. First I went to several cyber cafes looking for ' those who know' how to generate the pay slip. To do that you must open an itax account. Then you have to join the long queue at Equity Bank. They give you a slip to take to another longer queue at KRA. They generate a confirmation slip. Am still asking myself why in this age of mpesa, why I must walk with a batch of papers across town just to pay my honest part of national building
mulla
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:12:45 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
So today I woke up feeling very patriotic enough to pay my honest taxes. In Matatu parlance it is called 1080 aka advanced tax. First I went to several cyber cafes looking for ' those who know' how to generate the pay slip. To do that you must open an itax account. Then you have to join the long queue at Equity Bank. They give you a slip to take to another longer queue at KRA. They generate a confirmation slip. Am still asking myself why in this age of mpesa, why I must walk with a batch of papers across town just to pay my honest part of national building

Once you have a paying in slip generated from itax then you pay at the bank maneno kwisha. The bank will confirm you have paid online. That's my experience anyway. Why go to KRA??
Mike Ock
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:39:39 PM

All local taxes do is pay fat salaries/allowances and contribute towards Waiguru type schemes. Nation building is done with donor funding kikiumana.
kimugaman
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:56:16 PM

Why are you wasting your time queuing and filing paper work. Just save yourself the hassle and take your money directly to akina waiguru and duale. That is where it will end up anyways!
Gathige
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:12:42 PM

kimugaman wrote:
Why are you wasting your time queuing and filing paper work. Just save yourself the hassle and take your money directly to akina waiguru and duale. That is where it will end up anyways!

And remember to ask them to issue you with a certificate for advance collection. Submit the certificate with the annual returns and hola you are done.

That way, the beneficiaries get the tax money without having to collect it at some basements on Moi Avenue.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
gk
#6 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2016 6:30:11 PM

Congratulations! Keep up the noble effort. Mean while you dont have to do it Equity.....there are many other banks you can pick n pay cash over the counter.
Runner
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:28:39 PM

gk wrote:

Congratulations! Keep up the noble effort. Mean while you dont have to do it Equity.....there are many other banks you can pick n pay cash over the counter.

You can also pay by Mpesa. Been doing so for rental income taxes.
taka jua
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 4:27:01 PM

Runner wrote:
gk wrote:

You can also pay by Mpesa. Been doing so for rental income taxes.

You can generate the slip on ITAX and pay via MPESA, very convinient especially kwa sisi wa kungoja 19th
Risasi Sufuri
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 4:43:34 PM

Gathige wrote:
kimugaman wrote:

And remember to ask them to issue you with a certificate for advance collection. Submit the certificate with the annual returns and hola you are done.

That way, the beneficiaries get the tax money without having to collect it at some basements on Moi Avenue.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
mwania
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:32:05 PM

I am not so sure if this is the right place to post, but let me do it anyway. I would like to know whether the clearing system where merchandise is bought in China, Europe, Dubai, etc and sent to Kenya via Eldoret Airport where the only charges are freight charges per kilo.. No clear NORMAL Customs charges/ IDF declarations are made. The value of the goods is not taken into account, only the weight. Then, the goods are collected in Eastleigh ready for sale. Now, what is KRA's position on this matter? I understand, that the same KRA inspectors visit shops asking for IDF documents for the goods and they have to be given bribes since the documents are non-existent. I believe, we live in a very unfair society because those who clear their merchandise through the traditional customs clearing model end up paying much much more than their "Eastleigh system" counterparts..
kimanimsc
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:57:11 PM

mwania wrote:
I am not so sure if this is the right place to post, but let me do it anyway. I would like to know whether the clearing system where merchandise is bought in China, Europe, Dubai, etc and sent to Kenya via Eldoret Airport where the only charges are freight charges per kilo.. No clear NORMAL Customs charges/ IDF declarations are made. The value of the goods is not taken into account, only the weight. Then, the goods are collected in Eastleigh ready for sale. Now, what is KRA's position on this matter? I understand, that the same KRA inspectors visit shops asking for IDF documents for the goods and they have to be given bribes since the documents are non-existent. I believe, we live in a very unfair society because those who clear their merchandise through the traditional customs clearing model end up paying much much more than their "Eastleigh system" counterparts..

That's how the system is beaten. The Emirates lands at Eldoret Airport (is it every week?) with about 20 trucks lined up for loading ... Customs agents are supposed to clear those goods and sometimes they do get the IDF only that the declared value for a whole Emirates can be much much less.
mwania
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:59:06 PM

Who allows this system of clearing goods? Is it legal?
kimanimsc
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:49:04 PM

mwania wrote:
Who allows this system of clearing goods? Is it legal?

I may not say much on legality, but the taxman knows there were challenges and requirements for importers, consolidators and the general public are highlighted here: March 29, 2016

Julius Musyoki, the KRA commissioner of customs and border control, said clearance documents for the imports through the airport shall include a packing list with details like name of importer or cargo owner, PIN, passport or national ID, phone contact and physical address.

Other details, he said, are a description of goods, stating quantities and values among others.

“Importers who employ the services of cargo consolidators are advised to submit the required information through their consolidator prior to the arrival of the goods to facilitate prompt clearance,” the commissioner said in a notice.

A consolidator is a person or a company that combines different consignments for different importers in to one lot who delivers each cargo to each consignee.

“The importers, consolidators and the general public are further notified that with effect from April 6, 2016, no importation through the Eldoret Airport will be processed by Customs unless all requirements are fulfilled,” he said.

The airport has in recent years become popular with cargo flights seeking to avoid lengthy queues at the busy Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) in Nairobi.
mwania
#14 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 9:55:41 AM

Thanks. It then appears like a KRA allowed tax avoidance loophole.. implying that it is the best route for traders who want to maximize their profits.. with the risks that,, KRA officers can decide to pounce on your shop any time and ask for non-existent importation documents where bribes will have to be given to the same guys who created the problem. In fact, in which country except Kenya and other third world countries, can this system of cargo consolidators work?

Just like building approvals where the planners refuse to approve but take the bribes and allow developers to build, only to denounce you when things go awry.
timizo
#15 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 10:40:08 AM

The amount of tax that ha been lost through this system for years is unbelievable. Not just Eldoret.... even Mombasa port. What do you think has build Eastleigh. I can tell you this will never be eliminated until the day we will elect clean guys at the top. If KRA, puts too much pressure, which I doubt because of the enticement with huge bribes from the traders, they will approach the political establishment looking for favours in return to political support
Othelo
#16 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 10:43:47 AM

KRA has tried to streamline this but the bigwings always have their way. If you cant beat them, join them..............Better be on the table smile
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
mwania
#17 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 11:17:51 AM

Thank you. Kenya must have gone to the dogs a long time ago if such serious tax evasion takes place and never reported anywhere.. and even the opposition never mentions it. Joining them on the table is good in the short term, in the long run, you can even go bankrupt when the same KRA people pounce on you and ask you to account.. again serious bribes will have to be given to KRA guys..
Othelo
#18 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 2:46:55 PM

mwania wrote:
Thank you. Kenya must have gone to the dogs a long time ago if such serious tax evasion takes place and never reported anywhere.. and even the opposition never mentions it. Joining them on the table is good in the short term, in the long run, you can even go bankrupt when the same KRA people pounce on you and ask you to account.. again serious bribes will have to be given to KRA guys..

If you are on the table, they will never dare ................... smile
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
mwania
#19 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 4:18:42 PM

Interesting, if that is the case.. Joining them is the solution
obiero
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:39:23 PM

May God help us

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45