4 Pages<1234>
Banks that will be extinct in a few years
VituVingiSana
#41 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 1:08:11 AM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
[quote=murchr]Safaricom does not charge 100/- for a USSD txt. For heaven sake all the local banks are connected to safcom too, why don't they charge 100/-.?
It was a number of charges at 7/- a session [I was debited in 7 or multiples of 7]. I have no idea how the sessions were calculated but it was roughly 100/- by the time I was done. I never used the service again.

James Mwangi said Equitel will not charge per USSD session during one of his presentations.

All charges by Safaricom? Not true!

It showed up on my bank statement not safaricom bill. I called the bank and asked about the charges. They said these were USSD charges. Perhaps they added a premium per message/USSD enquiry? Then I just stopped using the service. End of story.

And that's why I appreciate that Equitel clearly said there will be no USSD charges. http://www.financialtech...oney-transfer-services/[/quote]

Your banker simply lied .

OK. "Banks that will be extinct in a few years"
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#42 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 5:15:12 AM

Lets see how the cookie crumbles when Barclay's exits this "dark" continent. From the grapevines I understand the local banks have been on a talent poaching spree and some of these execs have been moving with their high net-worth accounts
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Swenani
#43 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 8:38:12 AM

PKoli wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Sir invest wrote:
I have the same testimony. I am in one chama where we lend at 10% per month. The dividends per annum is 60%. i don't regret joining.
I need to join the chama! At 60% dividends, who needs to invest on the NSE?

Question: Is this a legit chama & not one of those pyramid schemes? Which chama, please share.

Does that Chama only lend to members or non members? Why would take a loan at 10% PM when you can get much cheaper elsewhere?

Yes, the only lend to members, if you happen to borrow more than your shares,you must have gurantors.

A person who has no fixed source of income cannot qualify to get a loan from the formal sector thus whiy the table banking are thriving.

It's a crime to be poor!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
maka
#44 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 9:05:03 AM

Swenani wrote:
PKoli wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Sir invest wrote:
I have the same testimony. I am in one chama where we lend at 10% per month. The dividends per annum is 60%. i don't regret joining.
I need to join the chama! At 60% dividends, who needs to invest on the NSE?

Question: Is this a legit chama & not one of those pyramid schemes? Which chama, please share.

Does that Chama only lend to members or non members? Why would take a loan at 10% PM when you can get much cheaper elsewhere?

Yes, the only lend to members, if you happen to borrow more than your shares,you must have gurantors.

A person who has no fixed source of income cannot qualify to get a loan from the formal sector thus whiy the table banking are thriving.

It's a crime to be poor!

Also am in one...10% PM ka hutaki go get a bank loan....
possunt quia posse videntur
Sir invest
#45 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 11:35:28 AM

This applies to Chamas in the villages(counties far from Nairobi) where people are skeptical about bank loans. Don't try this here in Nairobi can flop coz of high level of defaulting unlike in mashinani where pple are disciplined.
kayhara
#46 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 1:26:23 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
[quote=murchr]Safaricom does not charge 100/- for a USSD txt. For heaven sake all the local banks are connected to safcom too, why don't they charge 100/-.?
It was a number of charges at 7/- a session [I was debited in 7 or multiples of 7]. I have no idea how the sessions were calculated but it was roughly 100/- by the time I was done. I never used the service again.

James Mwangi said Equitel will not charge per USSD session during one of his presentations.

It showed up on my bank statement not safaricom bill. I called the bank and asked about the charges. They said these were USSD charges. Perhaps they added a premium per message/USSD enquiry? Then I just stopped using the service. End of story.

And that's why I appreciate that Equitel clearly said there will be no USSD charges. http://www.financialtech...oney-transfer-services/[/quote]

OK. "Banks that will be extinct in a few years"

By the way coop customers beware that the bank debits you 39.50/- every time you deposit money by mpesa paybill to your account learnt that today when closing
an account, also every time you use the ussd and the pin is accepted you are debited 35/- for that secession note this is debited from your account, safaricom will charge you separately.
To Each His Own
Swenani
#47 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 2:18:20 PM

Sir invest wrote:
This applies to Chamas in the villages(counties far from Nairobi) where people are skeptical about bank loans. Don't try this here in Nairobi can flop coz of high level of defaulting unlike in mashinani where pple are disciplined.

You're mistaken, some of these kileleswa middle class kenyans are so overburden with debts to the extent that they are borrowing expensive debt to pay cheaper debt
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
innairobi
#48 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 2:48:57 PM

murchr wrote:
Lets see how the cookie crumbles when Barclay's exits this "dark" continent. From the grapevines I understand the local banks have been on a talent poaching spree and some of these execs have been moving with their high net-worth accounts

Do large accounts usually move that easily? They're notorious for having 5 or 6 bankers in order to spread their risks. All they'll do is open a new account but not close their old ones. Also for the multinationals, the relationship is at a global level so their Kenyan account has little flexibility.
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
Boris Boyka
#49 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 4:10:13 PM

Swenani wrote:
Sir invest wrote:

You're mistaken, some of these kileleswa middle class kenyans are so overburden with debts to the extent that they are borrowing expensive debt to pay cheaper debt

@Swenani I highly doubt you understood @Sir invest.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
watesh
#50 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 4:37:51 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

When has safaricom ever given any service for free? I also heard James Mwangi complain many times about telecom charges on USSD and they absorb the cost
XSK
#51 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 5:31:16 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Safaricom does not charge 100/- for a USSD txt. For heaven sake all the local banks are connected to safcom too, why don't they charge 100/-.?

Safaricom does charge for USSD. If you are on KCB Mobile banking try access *522# on your phone when it has no airtime. You will be prompted to top up first.
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
murchr
#52 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 5:45:56 PM

XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Safaricom does not charge 100/- for a USSD txt. For heaven sake all the local banks are connected to safcom too, why don't they charge 100/-.?

Safaricom does charge for USSD. If you are on KCB Mobile banking try access *522# on your phone when it has no airtime. You will be prompted to top up first.

I guess English is hard to comprehend. I said, "Safaricom does not charge 100/- for a USSD txt"

@innairobi, Banks make more money from lending

As for co-op, yes they are thieves, they charged me for closing one account although I was moving the money to another account in their bank for more convenience.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#53 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 8:46:34 PM

murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

I guess English is hard to comprehend. I said, "Safaricom does not charge 100/- for a USSD txt"

As for co-op, yes they are thieves, they charged me for closing one account although I was moving the money to another account in their bank for more convenience.

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! Someone is just trying to split hairs. Yawn. Liar Liar Liar "SafariCon doesn't charge 100/- for a USSD txt" d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
1) USSD sessions are not 'texts' if one wants to split hairs.
2) Perhaps, within a transaction one may use multiple sessions OR in a 'sitting' one may transact multiple times [check balance, transfer funds, pay bill, upload airtime] or if the USSD session expires or disconnects thus multiple sessions are used.
3) Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

As @XKS @kayhara & @watesh have attested to. There is no free lunch with Safaricom and USSD via the banks. Whether Safaricom bills us or the bank bills us for using Safaricom USSD... We end up paying.

*Please fill up at KenolKobil. Thank You. Come Again*
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#54 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 9:44:47 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! Someone is just trying to split hairs. Yawn. Liar Liar Liar "SafariCon doesn't charge 100/- for a USSD txt" d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
2) Perhaps, within a transaction one may use multiple sessions OR in a 'sitting' one may transact multiple times [check balance, transfer funds, pay bill, upload airtime] or if the USSD session expires or disconnects thus multiple sessions are used.

As @XKS @kayhara & @watesh have attested to. There is no free lunch with Safaricom and USSD via the banks. Whether Safaricom bills us or the bank bills us for using Safaricom USSD... We end up paying.

Me: Google what is USSD?
Google: USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a Global System for Mobile(GSM) communication technology that is used to send text between a mobile phone and an application program in the network.

USSD messages are up to 182 alphanumeric characters in length.

USSD is generally associated with real-time or instant messaging services. USSD messages create a real-time connection during a USSD session.

USSD is commonly used by prepaid GSM cellular phones to query the available balance.

***In laymans lingo VVS you get one message per session it does not sum up instances then sends you a bill.***

***Technically, you send a query from your phone to a database, then you get a response back (USSD TXT) which you get charged for. The relationship is a one-to-one Hakuna maneno ingine mingi of bla bla bla other charges...the other charges belong to your bank.

PS. I did not anywhere say that Safaricom gives the service for free, heck why should they? As for Equitel, they may not charge the user the money but I am very certain, its covered.

Just FYI - TXT is not equal to SMS(am sure you know this and it ain't important anyway)

On Kenol the stock....it continues to be my mistake of 2015. Am currently filling gas at less than $2 no envy of Kenol customers at this moment...Thanks but no thanks
Boris Boyka
#55 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 10:09:38 PM

murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

@Murchr Laughing out loudly I remember telling this that they'll charge you but you said 'watakutambua wewe ni baba lao' So finally they Milked you!
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
murchr
#56 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 11:02:19 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

@Murchr Laughing out loudly I remember telling this that they'll charge you but you said 'watakutambua wewe ni baba lao' So finally they Milked you!

Yes they did, apart from that, the customer service was horrible. Actually customer service alone can make me open an account with these colonial banks but there's no incentive to anyway.
VituVingiSana
#57 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 11:14:31 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

Google: USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a Global System for Mobile(GSM) communication technology that is used to send text between a mobile phone and an application program in the network.

USSD is generally associated with real-time or instant messaging services. USSD messages create a real-time connection during a USSD session.

USSD is commonly used by prepaid GSM cellular phones to query the available balance.

***In laymans lingo VVS you get one message per session it does not sum up instances then sends you a bill.***

***Technically, you send a query from your phone to a database, then you get a response back (USSD TXT) which you get charged for. The relationship is a one-to-one Hakuna maneno ingine mingi of bla bla bla other charges...the other charges belong to your bank.

PS. I did not anywhere say that Safaricom gives the service for free, heck why should they? As for Equitel, they may not charge the user the money but I am very certain, its covered.

Just FYI - TXT is not equal to SMS(am sure you know this and it ain't important anyway)

On Kenol the stock....it continues to be my mistake of 2015. Am currently filling gas at less than $2 no envy of Kenol customers at this moment...Thanks but no thanks

$2/litre? Pole sana.
KK charges $0.88 per litre in Kenya and that includes crazy taxes.

*Fill up at KenolKobil. Thank You. Come Again.*
enyands
#58 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 11:21:48 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

$2/litre? Pole sana.

Murchir I guess you meant 2 dollars a gallon which is equivalent to roughly 3 litres. So to do math to our fellow you are paying roughly 58 shillings a litre which should be cheaper than kk. Laughing out loudly
murchr
#59 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 11:27:51 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

$2/litre? Pole sana.

Sorre sir! here we fill in Gallons which means i get 3.79 liters for precisely $1.49 taxes inclusive that is about 0.39 a liter? ...something like that...again..no thanks

=
enyands
#60 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2016 11:58:31 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
XSK wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:

$2/litre? Pole sana.

Sorre sir! here we fill in Gallons which means i get 3.79 liters for precisely $1.49 taxes inclusive that is about 0.39 a liter? ...something like that...again..no thanks

=

You nailed it hard Applause