wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Commercial Dairy Farming
MunyaoTrader
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:59:08 PM

I am looking for dairy cattle with a good yield of milk (Not over priced though). If possible the cows should be bought in an area where the temperatures are not too cold because their final destination is machakos county which can be hot at times.

Kindly email or whatsapp me any information you have.

+971558350151

perezthomascarhire@gmail.com
Swenani
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:19:25 PM

MunyaoTrader wrote:
I am looking for dairy cattle with a good yield of milk (Not over priced though). If possible the cows should be bought in an area where the temperatures are not too cold because their final destination is machakos county which can be hot at times.

Kindly email or whatsapp me any information you have.

+971558350151

perezthomascarhire@gmail.com

Visit ADC offices and they will give you what type of cows to rear
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Dawnwoods
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:26:45 PM

First, there is no good yield dairy cow that is low priced. Lets get that straight right away. Second, you have many farmers around Machakos area that have good dairy cattle. Wilson Kyalo, Muambi, Stanley and Sons and Aimi ma Kilungu. All this farmers feed their cattle with TMR(Total Mixed Rations), therefore, if you are just doing nappier grass this may not be your league. Major Muiu in Sultan Hamud also has some good dairy cattle. None of the farmers i mentioned will sell a dairy cow for less than 250,000. These guys have 4th generation progeny tested cows. Mostly Holsteins and others. Lastly, look for a Dr. Odhiambo of World Wide sires in Longonot place kijabe street for crisp understanding of progeny tested Bovine semen, artificial insemination, conception rates and 16 attributes of a good dairy cow.
So there, you have it.. All the best!!
MunyaoTrader
#4 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 8:43:56 AM

On another note, I've heard that some farmers inject their cows with a compound that makes their cows artificially seem to produce extra milk. So when a buyer comes for viewing he gets persuaded to purchase the cow.
How do i protect myself from this when making purchases from farmers who may not be well known?
Do i test the milk quality using the available technology?
Do i visit the farm for a few days and see if the milk yield drops?
I heard the effects of the compound wears off within three days
jerry
#5 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 9:52:52 AM

MunyaoTrader wrote:
On another note, I've heard that some farmers inject their cows with a compound that makes their cows artificially seem to produce extra milk. So when a buyer comes for viewing he gets persuaded to purchase the cow.
How do i protect myself from this when making purchases from farmers who may not be well known?
Do i test the milk quality using the available technology?
Do i visit the farm for a few days and see if the milk yield drops?
I heard the effects of the compound wears off within three days

Just buy a heifer and get an expert to help you put milk into it!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Gathige
#6 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 11:22:04 AM

@MunyaoTrader. Welcome to the Club.

I too recently ventured into small-sacle commercial dairy farming, and being a novice, this is the strategy that I have employed.

1. Bought six not very highly priced cows with a mix of milking, soon to deliver and soon to be served cows. My initial investment was approx. 500k for the initial stocks. CAVEAT. Except for commercial farms in the business of breeding and selling high producing cows, ordinary traders will lie to you on production levels. So,if you have cash, go for the commercial farmers, who are pricy but the yields are guaranteed, if you keep the right feeding rations. For me, as a novice I want to learn with mine so I risked and bought from local farmers. Get to know why a farmer is selling before you buy as some would sell the sick, hard-to-conceive etc ones.
2. feeding: I had invested over time in natural grass to provide the dry matter and recently started harvesting it. Also planted some experimental Gadam Sorgum which is fast maturing and good fodder. To get enough milk, I supplement with commercial feeds- pricey and quality not guaranteed. Plans to start making own feeds soon.
3. Management: Like any other investment, dairy farming is a highly professional business. Make sure you get an experienced professional to run the entity. Avoid watu wa mkono to run the place- they will mess you up.
4. Returns: The market for milk is there provided you get enough of it. ironically, cows literally manufacture milk depending on what you feed them with- high value feeds and concentrates- more milk and hence more cash.

For me I am still learning the business and plans to build and improve on my stock over a period- 5 yrs- and have own pedigree and better returns. Target production is 1,000litres, which is possible.

I will keep posting as I learn, in the spirit of wazua.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
MunyaoTrader
#7 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 11:56:06 AM

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate the input you have a given me. I will let you know when i am in Kenya. In about 2 weeks.
Dawnwoods
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 4:50:03 PM

@munyaotrdaer... that compound you mentioned is known as BST.. Bovinesomatotropin... essentially a synthetic hormone that affects the Pituitary gland of the Cow.. When given, it stimulates the action potential to release prolactin and hence release of milk. BST has been researched since the 1930s.

No traces of BST are seen in drinking milk or any other effects on humans or even the cows themselves.. It is safe!!

It is banned in several countries.. (I dont know why)

In the US and Canada.. about 20% of farmers use it. They see about 10-15% more milk production.

BST is used every 11 days and not 3 days.

It is injected around the Pin area.

It is expensive and that is why most people do not use it. Some farmers will only use in a few prolific milk producing cows.

Only one Farmer in Kenya i know uses it.

It is legal to use in Kenya.

Down the road if you set your project in a roll.. and you want it.. i can advise you on where to get it.

Again all the best!!

Kili
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:24:42 PM

Good advise from @danwoods..in machakos theres also makamithi who runs an agrovet in town;same league as the fellows above mentioned.I thought Muambi rears meat breeds.No?
Kili
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:58:35 PM

Good advise from @danwoods..in machakos theres also makamithi who runs an agrovet in town;same league as the fellows above mentioned.I thought Muambi rears meat breeds.No?
theking
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:40:30 PM

Gathige wrote:
@MunyaoTrader. Welcome to the Club.

I too recently ventured into small-sacle commercial dairy farming, and being a novice, this is the strategy that I have employed.

1. Bought six not very highly priced cows with a mix of milking, soon to deliver and soon to be served cows. My initial investment was approx. 500k for the initial stocks. CAVEAT. Except for commercial farms in the business of breeding and selling high producing cows, ordinary traders will lie to you on production levels. So,if you have cash, go for the commercial farmers, who are pricy but the yields are guaranteed, if you keep the right feeding rations. For me, as a novice I want to learn with mine so I risked and bought from local farmers. Get to know why a farmer is selling before you buy as some would sell the sick, hard-to-conceive etc ones.
2. feeding: I had invested over time in natural grass to provide the dry matter and recently started harvesting it. Also planted some experimental Gadam Sorgum which is fast maturing and good fodder. To get enough milk, I supplement with commercial feeds- pricey and quality not guaranteed. Plans to start making own feeds soon.
3. Management: Like any other investment, dairy farming is a highly professional business. Make sure you get an experienced professional to run the entity. Avoid watu wa mkono to run the place- they will mess you up.
4. Returns: The market for milk is there provided you get enough of it. ironically, cows literally manufacture milk depending on what you feed them with- high value feeds and concentrates- more milk and hence more cash.

For me I am still learning the business and plans to build and improve on my stock over a period- 5 yrs- and have own pedigree and better returns. Target production is 1,000litres, which is possible.

I will keep posting as I learn, in the spirit of wazua.

@Gathige mind sharing your contacts?
Obi 1 Kanobi
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:00:33 PM

@Gathige

Also interested in more details;

1. How did you utilise your capital
2. How much did the unit cost
3. How much per cow, and from where. Transport?
4. How much land are you using to grow cattle feed
5. How many employees do you have?
6. How do you monitor, what records do you maintain
7. What are your monthly costs
8. Whats the progress so far
9. Common pitfalls to be avoided?

Thanks
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
MunyaoTrader
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:13:24 PM

I bought 5 in-calfed heifers from Nakuru (Ayrshire breed) at a price of kshs.100,000 each. I built a modern cattle shed kshs.250,000, i bought diesel grass cutter kshs.10,000, i secured insurance kshs.5,000 per cow. Transport is kshs.25,000 per trip from Nakuru to Mtito Andei and i had 2 trips. I have 2 employees each getting kshs.7,500 plus accommodation and food.
The cattle feed is grown on 5 acres and the product is enough to last 6 months and by then the next rains will have come. I also purchase dairy meal to give cows extra nutrients and boost milk production. The cows get sprayed every week but i will build a cattle dip in the coming months.
I have a parent watching the operation on my behalf but with 50% commission as compensation.
My monthly costs are below kshs.30,000 but i can assure you that i am not making a loss. As for record keeping, I am monitoring the milk yield for each cow in the morning, afternoon and evening. Each cow is tagged, i have also the Artificial Insemination certificates so that i can trace the family tree of the calves.
3 calves have been born (2 female & 1 male) and hopefully two more will be born in the next 2 months.
My personal regret was not investing more in dairy farming, i diversified my investments and put little cash on diary farming not knowing how lucrative it can be.
If you want to do this, avoid 'over analyzing' the venture. Just Do It
UpcomingPaperChaser
#14 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 12:18:09 AM

MunyaoTrader wrote:
I bought 5 in-calfed heifers from Nakuru (Ayrshire breed) at a price of kshs.100,000 each. I built a modern cattle shed kshs.250,000, i bought diesel grass cutter kshs.10,000, i secured insurance kshs.5,000 per cow. Transport is kshs.25,000 per trip from Nakuru to Mtito Andei and i had 2 trips. I have 2 employees each getting kshs.7,500 plus accommodation and food.
The cattle feed is grown on 5 acres and the product is enough to last 6 months and by then the next rains will have come. I also purchase dairy meal to give cows extra nutrients and boost milk production. The cows get sprayed every week but i will build a cattle dip in the coming months.
I have a parent watching the operation on my behalf but with 50% commission as compensation.
My monthly costs are below kshs.30,000 but i can assure you that i am not making a loss. As for record keeping, I am monitoring the milk yield for each cow in the morning, afternoon and evening. Each cow is tagged, i have also the Artificial Insemination certificates so that i can trace the family tree of the calves.
3 calves have been born (2 female & 1 male) and hopefully two more will be born in the next 2 months.
My personal regret was not investing more in dairy farming, i diversified my investments and put little cash on diary farming not knowing how lucrative it can be.
If you want to do this, avoid 'over analyzing' the venture. Just Do It

Congrats on my behalf and other Wazuans.......this is the analysis that we would love to see frequently. Statements followed by calculations based on real data. Thanks.
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
gatoho
#15 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 2:47:09 AM

Am doing it too, have a mixture of local and exotic breeds. Lucky got a pickup but my challenge is labor and that I farm from far. Doing it in family home but relocating to urban 0.25a have a few fonder plots, buy some and mix my own feeds and salt. Before Mwangi WA iria started siasa was good but robbed of promised bonus. So far so good. Buying served Heifers and proceeding to breed for yourself and learning as you go is the way
Foresight..
Chaka
#16 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 9:28:09 AM

@MunyaoTrader,
Nice feedback!Did you get the heifers from the ADC farm?
When do you see yourself getting the ROI?
FRM2011
#17 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 10:26:25 AM

My experience. Go to Facebook and join a group called dairy farming kenya. You will be shocked at the level of expertise there.

Do not buy a mature cow (Milker). Why would a dairy farmer give you his money maker ? Unless he is culling or he will sell you his problematic cow.

#githungurithings. You will hear enough horror stories from dfk members to warn you against sourcing from githunguri. 90% of the time you will be screwed.

Scale the business. Don't start big. Learnt this the hard way.

For a start don't spend more than 100k to buy a cow.

If you surmount all the hurdles, dairy farming is rewarding.

One more thing. Don't try telephone farming. Tried and failed badly. Now I do it on a plot in kamulu.
radio
#18 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 10:40:36 AM

@FRM2011, how do you handle kanjo manenos in Kamulu?
Obi 1 Kanobi
#19 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 11:01:01 AM

@Munyaotrader

Thanks for the sharing and congrats on the project success.

Where can I go to view good cows in Naks, going for 100K or less.

What level of experience do the people you have employed have, is there a place where people get trained in dairy farming?

I do other soughts of farming and generally really freak out when it comes to productivity of labour

As you said, I don't want to over analyse, will dive right in and swim.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Gathige
#20 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 6:04:36 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
@Gathige

Also interested in more details;

2. How much did the unit cost
3. How much per cow, and from where. Transport?
4. How much land are you using to grow cattle feed
5. How many employees do you have?
6. How do you monitor, what records do you maintain
7. What are your monthly costs
8. Whats the progress so far

Thanks

@Obi 1 Kanobi,

Cows- 1.2m, for 14 cows ( a mix of milkers, calves and served heifers)- now the best in terms of initial production but improving on them. All sourced from Ngong from Njabini. Initial production was low, but now improving.
2. How much did the unit cost: I have a temporary shed with a capacity of 14 cows at a cost of 150k. Floor area made of well arranged hard masonary stones, sleeping area made of murram and saw dust topping and normal mabati roof. Plans to put a permanent structure later from the returns
3. How much per cow, and from where. Transport? Cost of cows btwn 85-120k, depending on production and growth stage. Sourved from Ngong and Njabini
4. How much land are you using to grow cattle feed. My land is approx 15 acres with enough grass. Substituting with hay locally sourced at 200 Kshs a bale
5. How many employees do you have? 2 employees at the dairy unit and 1 at the grass farm
6. How do you monitor, what records do you maintain. I have a normal diary for the dairy unit with workers filling any daily details- milk production, AI, feeds used etc. At the end of the week i summarise the data in excel on my comp for review,
7. What are your monthly costs- Labour- 31k, feeds and supplements 30k, AI, Drugs etc 10k
8. Whats the progress so far. The initial stock is improving and sales picking up. Loss at the moment and hoping to break even in the next three months
Farming as an enterprise has many challenges, moreso dairying. Some challenges

i. getting good initial stock is a challenge. Hard to tell a good cow when buying as most farmers either sell when culling or sick stock. Two of my cows have aborted meaning the seller had a bad history with them. At the moment treating them as they have potential to be good breeds.
ii. Getting the right commercial feed . Most feeds in the market are poor quality at a high cost. Hoping to start formulating own feeds soon and sourcing for raw materials.
iii. labour: In this biz, workers are the kings. dairying si labour intensive, esp cleaning, milking and feeding. Luckily, i have a dedicated worker at the farm, who has a passion for the job.

Still learning and hopefully, i will get own pedigree from my parent stock in 3-5yrs.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe