Netflix
Ash Ock
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2016 11:02:27 PM

Netflix officially launches in Kenya:

https://www.netflix.com/ke/

Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
holycow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2016 11:38:50 PM

No more VPN. Good times ahead. Multichoice in for rough times, as the kind of person who will use Netflix is your normal DSTV customer. Just registered and enjoying my free one month.
Vallerrie
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 10:43:08 AM

I am sooooooooo excited!!
Ericsson
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 10:46:39 AM

NETFLIX IN KENYA;

LAS VEGAS

Streaming pioneer Netflix said Wednesday it had significantly expanded its global footprint to 190 countries, making its Internet TV service available in 130 new markets including Kenya — but not China.

California-based Netflix, which began as a mail-order DVD service but is now producing award-winning original content alongside its offering of older shows and movies, launched in 2007. Now, 70 million subscribers pay a monthly fee for unlimited service.

"Today you are witnessing the birth of a new global Internet TV network," cofounder and chief executive Reed Hastings said at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"With this launch, consumers around the world — from Singapore to St. Petersburg, from San Francisco to Sao Paulo — will be able to enjoy TV shows and movies simultaneously — no more waiting.

"While you have been listening to me talk, the Netflix service has gone live in nearly every country in the world except China, where we hope to be in the future."

Netflix noted in a statement that it "continues to explore options for providing the service" in China, the world's most populous country, where the government censors online content it deems to be politically sensitive.

Netflix is keen to get the streaming service to China's population, but needs special permission from the government there and expects the process is "going to take time," Hastings said during a press briefing at CES.

ORIGINAL CONTENT

Other countries or markets without the service are Crimea, North Korea and Syria due to US government restrictions on American companies, Netflix said.

While English is the main language for most of the new markets, Netflix said it has added support for Arabic and Korean, along with simplified and traditional Chinese to the 17 languages it now uses.

"From today onwards, we will listen and we will learn, gradually adding more languages, more content and more ways for people to engage with Netflix," said Hastings.

"We're looking forward to bringing great stories from all over the world to people all over the world."

Following its US launch, Netflix first expanded to Canada, and then to Latin America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Until Wednesday, it was available in 60 countries.

The company has been shifting from recycling old shows and movies to producing more original content, with its shows such as the award-winning "House of Cards" and "Orange Is the New Black."

However, availability of original content could differ from country to country due to local licensing deals.

"We want citizens around the world to have access to the same content," Hastings said, noting it may take several years to get to a point where Netflix content is consistent worldwide.

It remained to be seen whether Netflix would have to serve up edited versions of some shows or films to suit cultural sensitivities in some countries.

"The thrust of what we are trying to do is have the artistic vision be consistent around the world," Hastings said.

With Netflix now available nearly everywhere in the world, the company's focus for the coming decade will be on providing stellar content.

Hastings playfully compared the big launch with having a baby, saying. "It's a big deal, but the real work is the next 20 years."

In 2016, the company plans to release 31 new and returning original series, two dozen original feature films and documentaries, as well as its own stand-up comedy specials and 30 original children's programs.

"Our teams are not going to be focused on doing launches, which are wildly disruptive," said Netflix head of content acquisition Ted Sarandos.

"Now we can be fully focused on finding the best content for the world."

LOCAL FLAVOURS

The global reach also means that Netflix should be tapping into more local talent for original productions from various parts of the world. Hastings and Sarandos were confident that people around the world are hungry for on-demand films and shows.

"We are just throwing out the old paradigm; everything is gone," said actor Will Arnett, who will star in an upcoming Netflix comedy series titled "Flaked."

"Everything you do is available everywhere around the world at the same time, it is amazing."

Netflix is ahead of key rivals in streaming such as Amazon and Hulu, which have also begun to produce original content.

The rapid expansion is likely to impact the bottom line at Netflix. In its most recent quarterly update, the company said that it expects "to run around break-even through 2016 and to deliver material profits thereafter."
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
kayhara
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 11:03:44 AM

Very nice love the development but they are not about to unseat DSTV anytime soon, because first you need fibre or very strong wifi (unlimited) to watch ZUKU FAIBA, SAFCOM and others serve less than 2% of the net users, others are on mobile,
Then you will need a new tv or those apple tv equivalents, laptops and phones will not replace the tv.
Payment options I have seen paypal and credit card, not many people know how to go about this, like Uber they need to go MPESA.
Guys are saying the african option will be watered down, I will stick to my backdoor US subscription till I am sure.
otherwise very positive move.
To Each His Own
hardwood
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 11:36:21 AM

kayhara wrote:
Very nice love the development but they are not about to unseat DSTV anytime soon, because first you need fibre or very strong wifi (unlimited) to watch ZUKU FAIBA, SAFCOM and others serve less than 2% of the net users, others are on mobile,
Then you will need a new tv or those apple tv equivalents, laptops and phones will not replace the tv.
Payment options I have seen paypal and credit card, not many people know how to go about this, like Uber they need to go MPESA.
Guys are saying the african option will be watered down, I will stick to my backdoor US subscription till I am sure.

Why charge standard fees worldwide and then "water down" for customers in certain regions? That can be very unfair.
KulaRaha
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 11:43:17 AM

How do you get a backdoor us sub?
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Mike Ock
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:24:32 PM

kayhara wrote:

Kwani you think DSTV serves what percentage of the population? These subscription services all depend on a very small percentage of the population. DSTV subscribers in Kenya are only 600,000. DSTV premium subscribers are probably 10% of that.
kollabo
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:29:38 PM

kayhara wrote:

Not really boss. Have you heard of Google Chromecast?
Njung'e
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:33:23 PM

Mpesa payments will get Netflix customers. Just like they did in Brazil where their customers could easily pay using Real.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
KulaRaha
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:35:56 PM

Njung'e wrote:
Mpesa payments will get Netflix customers. Just like they did in Brazil where their customers could easily pay using Real.

It will happen soon. It happened with Uber.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
VituVingiSana
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:49:53 PM

Nice!
That means data consumption will jump!!! I use Zuku coz of unlimited bandwidth for a monthly fee but it has not been working very well of late.

@Wazuans - Is it cheaper to buy a DVD from River Road or use bandwidth charged per Gb to watch a movie online?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 2:42:57 PM

anyway nothing can beat the U.S version of netflix.but you will have to use a vpn to get it
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 2:48:45 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Nice!
That means data consumption will jump!!! I use Zuku coz of unlimited bandwidth for a monthly fee but it has not been working very well of late.

@Wazuans - Is it cheaper to buy a DVD from River Road or use bandwidth charged per Gb to watch a movie online?

just get your zuku sorted out.surely why have zuku and still buy dvds?Talk to them

facebook.com/ZukuOfficial/?refid=13
enyands
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 3:40:40 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Nice!

Been shopping for best unlimited offer they have .Hii yako ni company gani and how much are u paying per month sir
Vallerrie
#16 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2016 10:55:22 AM

You can also use a Debit card, anyone who has an ATM card can pay for Netflix.
I also really don't think I need a smart tv and all those fancy gadgets, all I need is my laptop and my tv, connect the 2 via HDMI and im good to go. I don't understand why people are making it sound so complicated.
Much Know
#17 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2016 11:36:47 AM

Vallerrie wrote:
I don't understand why people are making it sound so complicated.

Even a techno phone and a greatwall t.v with hdmi or mhd link will do watu wanapenda ku-complicate mambo sana! Then register for skrill to pay via internet with mpesa mara that that wachana na mambo ya credit card.
A New Kenya
kollabo
#18 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2016 12:04:54 PM

Vallerrie wrote:
You can also use a Debit card, anyone who has an ATM card can pay for Netflix.
I also really don't think I need a smart tv and all those fancy gadgets, all I need is my laptop and my tv, connect the 2 via HDMI and im good to go. I don't understand why people are making it sound so complicated.

Try the Chromecast. You can actually cast games you play on your phone directly to the TV wirelessly. All your TV needs to have is a HDMI port.
kayhara
#19 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2016 12:44:29 PM

I am not a techie but, can SAFARICOM come up with an unlimited bundle for NETFLIX like how free facebook and twitter works?, TORRENTS guys are the ones who bog down the network not the streamers
To Each His Own
sl8r
#20 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2016 1:31:44 PM

Safaricom would never do that in any case safcom internet is no so reliable in some places, 4G is patchy where Iive and 3g barely works reliably.( I live on Riara road) JTL should come up with a netflix specific plan you only need 5 Megabits/second thats 625 KBps (or a little over half a megabyte a second) to stream 720P video. JTL is the only provider I know who can deliver that bandwidth consistently, sell that package for 3K a month and people will buy it like hotcakes