Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
The 5 ways to get filthy rich legally in Kenya
Mike Ock
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:31:52 PM

washiku wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
I couldnt agree more. Especially selling addictive commodities. I sometimes imagine the kind of profits Tribeka and I-club rake in every weekend...selling beer at 250 plus...while buying at less than Ksh 100...you can only imagine. One establishment can make a person get into the billionaires club....literally.

Sportpesa is reportedly generating 18m monthly in MPESA transactions alone in less than 2 years according to my Safcom sources

18m? That is under-quoting.

I meant transaction FEES. Pole. Sportpesa itself is making kedo 200m monthly revenue
Mike Ock
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:40:11 PM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
These are the only ways you will live in Runda/Nyari, drive your S Class and wear Egyptian cotton, within the law. In order of difficulty:

1. Get an international monthly pay grade, while still living in Kenya

if you can somehow get salary of above 50,000 USD per year or equivalent in shillings, you'll be set to do anything in Kenya.

Hindrances: these types of jobs are not just lying around, and the ones that offer this pay are super competitive

2. Power couple

Say you are making 300k, date or marry someone who is also making 6 figures, mtakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: Kenyan men traditionally date down. Way down. Aggressive career women making 6 figures are also not that many.

3. Own or manage a business selling an essential good or service

In Kenya, you'll only make big money selling essentials. The typical Kenyan budget does not have much room for stuff outside essentials. This also goes for b2b budgets. Be a Chandaria(large shareholder) or a Collymore(chief executive) at a firm selling essentials, utakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: these businesses usually require enormous amounts of capital and experience to start, buy into, or run. Also super competitive.

4. Own or manage a business selling an addiction

Same gist as point number 3, but now we're talking of addictive substances or services like alcohol and gambling. These do very well in a poor country like Kenya because they provide an escape for the disillusioned citizens.

Hindrances: same as number 3

5. Tenderpreneurship

I'm not talking of the phantom tenders where nothing is delivered. Those are completely illegal and don't fit into the criteria here. I'm talking of the tenders where you deliver, but skim profits off the top. Huge money to be made here.

Hindrances: you need political patronage to get in. Foreign competition is also willing to pay massive bribes to secure the tenders. The deal takes ages to complete, with massive uncertainties along the way.

Those are the 5 legal ways to make big money in Kenya. Of course there is the ukora ways of politics, conning, stealing, counterfeiting, land grabbing etc, but that is a separate discussion. If I've missed any legal ways, feel free to add them. Remember, we are talking big money here, not 100k per month.

@Mike Ock,

Earning Usd 50K p.a. (300K in the bank) will not get you past a rental in kileleshwa. I know so many people who earn such and live in Kile, South B, C.

Fair enough. I've changed to 50k USD after taxes and deductions. Around 450k net basically. Which is around 700k gross.

What do they do? or rather where are they employed?

Mostly UN, ngos, multinationals, and upper management of big local companies. The sweet spot though is in the multinationals, as they have very low pressure. You think the guys working for Microsoft Kenya are under any pressure to perform? Microsoft makes hundreds of billions of dollars, and the Kenya branch makes millions of shillings. A negligible drop in the ocean that is not taken seriously back in the Silicon Valley HQ. But they are still paid 500k thereabouts for their "casual" work. Same for Google, IBM, HP, all these humongous multinationals that have set up shop in Kenya.
Othelo
#23 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:56:30 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
washiku wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
I couldnt agree more. Especially selling addictive commodities. I sometimes imagine the kind of profits Tribeka and I-club rake in every weekend...selling beer at 250 plus...while buying at less than Ksh 100...you can only imagine. One establishment can make a person get into the billionaires club....literally.

Sportpesa is reportedly generating 18m monthly in MPESA transactions alone in less than 2 years according to my Safcom sources

18m? That is under-quoting.

I meant transaction FEES. Pole. Sportpesa itself is making kedo 200m monthly revenue

mpesa transaction fees not bet revenues!!!!!!
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
Jon Jones
#24 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:53:59 PM

There is one sure way I know of. People tend to think local, which is very bad. Kenyans are broke. Figure out a way of earning from Europeans, Arabs or Americans, and you will become filthy rich. I am talking about exports. Get paid in green bucks, not local currency. Trying to make billions legally from Kenyans is like squeezing juice from a stone. It is not impossible, but it is very hard. You will sweat 1000 times as much as trying to make a billion Kenya Shillings from a mzungu or arab. Just check beach hotels, and anyone else who earns in dollars. That is why they dont care about blacks anyway, or about locals for that matter. No offense intended...but in most cases, you are we are not the target market. In fact, having too many blacks in a beach resort may be bad for future business.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
4eva eva
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:59:38 AM

Jon Jones wrote:
There is one sure way I know of. People tend to think local, which is very bad. Kenyans are broke. Figure out a way of earning from Europeans, Arabs or Americans, and you will become filthy rich. I am talking about exports. Get paid in green bucks, not local currency. Trying to make billions legally from Kenyans is like squeezing juice from a stone. It is not impossible, but it is very hard. You will sweat 1000 times as much as trying to make a billion Kenya Shillings from a mzungu or arab. Just check beach hotels, and anyone else who earns in dollars. That is why they dont care about blacks anyway, or about locals for that matter. No offense intended...but in most cases, you are we are not the target market. In fact, having too many blacks in a beach resort may be bad for future business.

Hehe quite interesting
Ali Baba
#26 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 10:49:55 AM

4eva eva wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Hehe quite interesting
Having too many black people in one location/country increases cases of crime,corruption,prostitution,money laudering and tax evasion.Nelson Mandela once said that black people are more prone to being involved in crime than other races.Is it a case of bad genes ????
tnai9
#27 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:04:24 PM

Ali Baba wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Hehe quite interesting
Having too many black people in one location/country increases cases of crime,corruption,prostitution,money laudering and tax evasion.Nelson Mandela once said that black people are more prone to being involved in crime than other races.Is it a case of bad genes ????

Heard a loud village 'philosopher' man say this in a matatu a while ago..

That the world has four races
Mzungu --mwakili
Muindi --Mwisi (verbatim)
mwarabu --Kiburi
mwafrika --mjinga

I laughed out loud, thought its crazy stereotyping, but generally speaking..d'oh! d'oh! , he had a point. Africans/blacks have real issues
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
tinker
#28 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:04:46 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
These are the only ways you will live in Runda/Nyari, drive your S Class and wear Egyptian cotton, within the law. In order of difficulty:

1. Get an international monthly pay grade, while still living in Kenya

if you can somehow get salary after tax and deductions of above 50,000 USD per year or equivalent in shillings, you'll be set to do anything in Kenya.

Hindrances: these types of jobs are not just lying around, and the ones that offer this pay are super competitive

2. Power couple

Say you are making 300k, date or marry someone who is also making 6 figures, mtakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: Kenyan men traditionally date down. Way down. Aggressive career women making 6 figures are also not that many.

3. Own or manage a business selling an essential good or service

In Kenya, you'll only make big money selling essentials. The typical Kenyan budget does not have much room for stuff outside essentials. This also goes for b2b budgets. Be a Chandaria(large shareholder) or a Collymore(chief executive) at a firm selling essentials, utakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: these businesses usually require enormous amounts of capital and experience to start, buy into, or run. Also super competitive.

4. Own or manage a business selling an addiction

Same gist as point number 3, but now we're talking of addictive substances or services like alcohol and gambling. These do very well in a poor country like Kenya because they provide an escape for the disillusioned citizens.

Hindrances: same as number 3

5. Tenderpreneurship

I'm not talking of the phantom tenders where nothing is delivered. Those are completely illegal and don't fit into the criteria here. I'm talking of the tenders where you deliver, but skim profits off the top. Huge money to be made here.

Hindrances: you need political patronage to get in. Foreign competition is also willing to pay massive bribes to secure the tenders. The deal takes ages to complete, with massive uncertainties along the way.

Those are the 5 legal ways to make big money in Kenya. Of course there is the ukora ways of politics, conning, stealing, counterfeiting, land grabbing etc, but that is a separate discussion. If I've missed any legal ways, feel free to add them. Remember, we are talking big money here, not 100k per month.

The word [Filthy]you have used in your subject/Title is also defined as "dirty, grimy, muddy, slimy, unclean, mucky;"
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
whiteowl
#29 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:03:39 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Didn't know sportspesa is that bad until I met a cousin who wakes up and first thing is to look for newspaper for the day's games. Baaaad!!!!! Bets every day religiously!!!!

His odds of making money is still higher than those people who are still investing in tanking monkeys at the NSE.
Mike Ock
#30 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2015 8:05:22 PM

Jon Jones wrote:

True, but no need to get racist about it. It's simply a problem of being a poor country, most people can't afford anything outside of the bare essentials.
MaichBlack
#31 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 1:30:02 PM

Swenani wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Kindly list the illegal means .Hizi umetaja ni ngumu kidogo.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

I just love Kenyans!!! They are the bomb!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#32 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 1:53:39 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Didn't know sportspesa is that bad until I met a cousin who wakes up and first thing is to look for newspaper for the day's games. Baaaad!!!!! Bets every day religiously!!!!

I have seen people analyse teams I have never heard of from leagues I did not existed like the owned shares in those teams. They know how they have been performing, injuries, head to head etc. and we are talking about teams you can't even pronounce the names.

That thing is terrible. And it has caught on even with ladies. Nice, decent, corporate ladies. Na yuko sportpesa. You hear her complaining how the Man City draw with Aston Villa messed up her multi bet!!! And they bet good money. Sio kama ma hustler!!!

The owner(s) must be making a killing!!! 18m a month in MPesa transactions sounds to low given what is happening on the ground!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#33 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 2:02:13 PM

Lolest! wrote:
What about brokers? Saw some ad for land on fb. Ad claimed the good agric land on offer was a great buy at 160k per acre...There were great pics of green maize.The place looked beaurifoo! I started sallivating...

Then I asked a guy in the office. Shocker! The area is mostly dry and selling prices never get past 80k and even then getting buyers is hard! The photos were taken during the Ninyo!

So this broker dude pretended to be one of the small buyers who needed others to join him in the purchase but then he doubled the price

Total size 40acres
GP per acre 80k

Just for marketing it on fb!

I have a friend from Embu and he told me if you want to buy agricultural land anywhere you are not familiar with, you should take your time and visit the place different times of the year.

He told me the area he comes from is Arid/Semi Arid but it rains nicely for like a month or so and everything becomes green. That is when people sell their land to people from Nairoberry!!! Wacha urudi after a month or two!!! Utalia machozi!!!
MaichBlack
#34 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 2:21:15 PM

Ali Baba wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Hehe quite interesting

Tembea and get mugged white thugs, see streets full of Caucasian prostitutes, See the level of corporate corruption in the west etc. Ati Money Laundering? You can't come anywhere close to how it is done in the west by both corporations and criminals.

Ubaya ya kuishi Githurai and imagining all bad things are done by blacks!!

You have a higher chance of getting mugged at Time Square than in Githurai!!!
Kratos
#35 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:03:59 PM

Swenani wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Kindly list the illegal means .Hizi umetaja ni ngumu kidogo.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
kiash
#36 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2016 8:47:44 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
What about brokers? Saw some ad for land on fb. Ad claimed the good agric land on offer was a great buy at 160k per acre...There were great pics of green maize.The place looked beaurifoo! I started sallivating...

Then I asked a guy in the office. Shocker! The area is mostly dry and selling prices never get past 80k and even then getting buyers is hard! The photos were taken during the Ninyo!

So this broker dude pretended to be one of the small buyers who needed others to join him in the purchase but then he doubled the price

Total size 40acres
GP per acre 80k

Just for marketing it on fb!

I have a friend from Embu and he told me if you want to buy agricultural land anywhere you are not familiar with, you should take your time and visit the place different times of the year.

He told me the area he comes from is Arid/Semi Arid but it rains nicely for like a month or so and everything becomes green. That is when people sell their land to people from Nairoberry!!! Wacha urudi after a month or two!!! Utalia machozi!!!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly wow that is big thinking
kiash
#37 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2016 8:54:54 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Ali Baba wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Hehe quite interesting

Tembea and get mugged white thugs, see streets full of Caucasian prostitutes, See the level of corporate corruption in the west etc. Ati Money Laundering? You can't come anywhere close to how it is done in the west by both corporations and criminals.

Ubaya ya kuishi Githurai and imagining all bad things are done by blacks!!

You have a higher chance of getting mugged at Time Square than in Githurai
!!!

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you And what is the percentage of those mugging you being blacks???

To say the truth, we blacks are still in the small league of thieves. Just like that chicken thief in the village comparing it to the Anglo leasing thief in Nairobi.
LosAngeles~254
#38 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2019 4:43:13 PM

Route # 1 - Having a net income of 450k. This the reason a lot of Kenyans seek employment opportunities outside Kenya. There are many jobs paying such an amount and even more in western countries.

The best thing about it is even for those who do manual jobs such as truck driving, fishing jobs, oil drilling jobs etc, they can net that amount or at the very minimum work two jobs to earn that cash.

The next step is simply living below your means and investing the rest back in Kenya. Very possible to live in Nyari, drive that S-class without kuiba.
God. Real Estate. Fast Cars. Hot Chicks. Philanthropy.
mawinder
#39 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2019 5:17:12 PM

LosAngeles~254 wrote:
Route # 1 - Having a net income of 450k. This the reason a lot of Kenyans seek employment opportunities outside Kenya. There are many jobs paying such an amount and even more in western countries.

The best thing about it is even for those who do manual jobs such as truck driving, fishing jobs, oil drilling jobs etc, they can net that amount or at the very minimum work two jobs to earn that cash.

The next step is simply living below your means and investing the rest back in Kenya. Very possible to live in Nyari, drive that S-class without kuiba.

Living in Nyari with 450k a month? I pay rent of 250k monthly excluding service charge in Runda..May be you mean living in an SQ in Nyari
kaka2za
#40 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2019 5:34:07 PM

mawinder wrote:
LosAngeles~254 wrote:

Living in Nyari with 450k a month? I pay rent of 250k monthly excluding service charge in Runda..May be you mean living in an SQ in Nyari

With 450K you are better off living in cheaper parts of Thome or Muthiga Kinoo.
Mambo ya Nyari achia wenyewe
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)