wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
The 5 ways to get filthy rich legally in Kenya
Mike Ock
#1 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 1:45:51 PM

These are the only ways you will live in Runda/Nyari, drive your S Class and wear Egyptian cotton, within the law. In order of difficulty:

1. Get an international monthly pay grade, while still living in Kenya

if you can somehow get salary after tax and deductions of above 50,000 USD per year or equivalent in shillings, you'll be set to do anything in Kenya.

Hindrances: these types of jobs are not just lying around, and the ones that offer this pay are super competitive

2. Power couple

Say you are making 300k, date or marry someone who is also making 6 figures, mtakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: Kenyan men traditionally date down. Way down. Aggressive career women making 6 figures are also not that many.

3. Own or manage a business selling an essential good or service

In Kenya, you'll only make big money selling essentials. The typical Kenyan budget does not have much room for stuff outside essentials. This also goes for b2b budgets. Be a Chandaria(large shareholder) or a Collymore(chief executive) at a firm selling essentials, utakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: these businesses usually require enormous amounts of capital and experience to start, buy into, or run. Also super competitive.

4. Own or manage a business selling an addiction

Same gist as point number 3, but now we're talking of addictive substances or services like alcohol and gambling. These do very well in a poor country like Kenya because they provide an escape for the disillusioned citizens.

Hindrances: same as number 3

5. Tenderpreneurship

I'm not talking of the phantom tenders where nothing is delivered. Those are completely illegal and don't fit into the criteria here. I'm talking of the tenders where you deliver, but skim profits off the top. Huge money to be made here.

Hindrances: you need political patronage to get in. Foreign competition is also willing to pay massive bribes to secure the tenders. The deal takes ages to complete, with massive uncertainties along the way.

Those are the 5 legal ways to make big money in Kenya. Of course there is the ukora ways of politics, conning, stealing, counterfeiting, land grabbing etc, but that is a separate discussion. If I've missed any legal ways, feel free to add them. Remember, we are talking big money here, not 100k per month.
nakujua
#2 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 2:16:13 PM

mimi husikia you can become a zuckerberg huko iHub.

you also left out farming and the NSE.
obiero
#3 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 2:36:19 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
These are the only ways you will live in Runda/Nyari, drive your S Class and wear Egyptian cotton, within the law. In order of difficulty:

if you can somehow get salary of above 50,000 USD per year or equivalent in shillings, you'll be set to do anything in Kenya.

Hindrances: these types of jobs are not just lying around, and the ones that offer this pay are super competitive

2. Power couple

Say you are making 300k, date or marry someone who is also making 6 figures, mtakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: Kenyan men traditionally date down. Way down. Aggressive career women making 6 figures are also not that many.

In Kenya, you'll only make big money selling essentials. The typical Kenyan budget does not have much room for stuff outside essentials. This also goes for b2b budgets. Be a Chandaria(large shareholder) or a Collymore(chief executive) at a firm selling essentials, utakuwa sawa.

Hindrances: these businesses usually require enormous amounts of capital and experience to start, buy into, or run. Also super competitive.

Same gist as point number 3, but now we're talking of addictive substances or services like alcohol and gambling. These do very well in a poor country like Kenya because they provide an escape for the disillusioned citizens.

5. Tenderpreneurship

I'm not talking of the phantom tenders where nothing is delivered. Those are completely illegal and don't fit into the criteria here. I'm talking of the tenders where you deliver, but skim profits off the top. Huge money to be made here.

Hindrances: you need political patronage to get in. Foreign competition is also willing to pay massive bribes to secure the tenders. The deal takes ages to complete, with massive uncertainties along the way.

Those are the 5 legal ways to make big money in Kenya. Of course there is the ukora ways of politics, conning, stealing, counterfeiting, land grabbing etc, but that is a separate discussion. If I've missed any legal ways, feel free to add them. Remember, we are talking big money here, not 100k per month.

In the corporate world there are many ladies with six figure salaries

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Obi 1 Kanobi
#4 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 4:25:41 PM

Mike Ock wrote:

if you can somehow get salary of above 50,000 USD per year or equivalent in shillings, you'll be set to do anything in Kenya.

2. Power couple

5. Tenderpreneurship

@Mike Ock,

Earning Usd 50K p.a. (300K in the bank) will not get you past a rental in kileleshwa. I know so many people who earn such and live in Kile, South B, C.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
winmak
#5 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 6:51:12 PM

obiero wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

2. Power couple

5. Tenderpreneurship

In the corporate world there are many ladies with six figure salaries

How marriable are these?
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
kaka2za
#6 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 7:48:05 PM

Kindly list the illegal means .Hizi umetaja ni ngumu kidogo.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Swenani
#7 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:00:56 PM

kaka2za wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Mike Ock
#8 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:13:59 PM

nakujua wrote:
mimi husikia you can become a zuckerberg huko iHub.

you also left out farming and the NSE.

ihub ni pr tu. What the few successful ones are doing is to create apps that appeal to NGOs, secure donor funding and pay yourself international salaries with the donor funds

Farming and NSE fall under owning/managing a business that deals with essential goods and services
Angelica _ann
#9 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:16:16 PM

Swenani wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

Socialite smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Mike Ock
#10 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:24:38 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

2. Power couple

5. Tenderpreneurship

@Mike Ock,

Earning Usd 50K p.a. (300K in the bank) will not get you past a rental in kileleshwa. I know so many people who earn such and live in Kile, South B, C.

Fair enough. I've changed to 50k USD after taxes and deductions. Around 450k net basically. Which is around 700k gross.
S.Mutaga III
#11 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:27:25 PM

I couldnt agree more. Especially selling addictive commodities. I sometimes imagine the kind of profits Tribeka and I-club rake in every weekend...selling beer at 250 plus...while buying at less than Ksh 100...you can only imagine. One establishment can make a person get into the billionaires club....literally.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
Mike Ock
#12 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:38:47 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
I couldnt agree more. Especially selling addictive commodities. I sometimes imagine the kind of profits Tribeka and I-club rake in every weekend...selling beer at 250 plus...while buying at less than Ksh 100...you can only imagine. One establishment can make a person get into the billionaires club....literally.

Sportpesa is reportedly generating 18m monthly in MPESA transactions alone in less than 2 years according to my Safcom sources
Angelica _ann
#13 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:45:46 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Sportpesa is reportedly generating 18m monthly in MPESA transactions alone in less than 2 years according to my Safcom sources

Didn't know sportspesa is that bad until I met a cousin who wakes up and first thing is to look for newspaper for the day's games. Baaaad!!!!! Bets every day religiously!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
enyands
#14 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 10:31:18 PM

Swenani wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

This made my day. Laughing out loudly .illegal number one beba bunduki enda equity bank and do the necessary....
washiku
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:22:04 AM

Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

18m? That is under-quoting.
maka
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:28:46 AM

washiku wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

The figure must be higher...new Companies scampering to have a piece of the cake...on pombe matters if you get a descent location you are in the money...Tribeka is always full till the wee hours of the morning...
possunt quia posse videntur
Lolest!
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 9:19:46 AM

What about brokers? Saw some ad for land on fb. Ad claimed the good agric land on offer was a great buy at 160k per acre...There were great pics of green maize.The place looked beaurifoo! I started sallivating...

Then I asked a guy in the office. Shocker! The area is mostly dry and selling prices never get past 80k and even then getting buyers is hard! The photos were taken during the Ninyo!

So this broker dude pretended to be one of the small buyers who needed others to join him in the purchase but then he doubled the price

Total size 40acres
GP per acre 80k

Just for marketing it on fb!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Lolest!
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 9:23:23 AM

maka wrote:
washiku wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

The figure must be higher...new Companies scampering to have a piece of the cake...on pombe matters if you get a descent location you are in the money...Tribeka is always full till the wee hours of the morning...

The profits they're making are just craaazzzyyy!!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
UpcomingPaperChaser
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:44:10 AM

Mike Ock wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

2. Power couple

5. Tenderpreneurship

@Mike Ock,

Fair enough. I've changed to 50k USD after taxes and deductions. Around 450k net basically. Which is around 700k gross.

What do they do? or rather where are they employed?
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
wanyee
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:17:32 PM

Mike Ock wrote:

if you can somehow get salary after tax and deductions of above 50,000 USD per year or equivalent in shillings, you'll be set to do anything in Kenya.

2. Power couple

5. Tenderpreneurship

You want to make money in Kenya?Think Think Be a keen observer of trends. Kenyans are creatures of habits..and perculiar ones at such. Gossip sells see how much Safaricon makes? Kenyans loove anonimity...mpesa, they are allergic to excessive paper work and procedure they love last minute before getting home shopping see Tuskys location ..they love gambling and are humanitarian at times with a slight tinge of philanthropy. Analyse trends see the next big wave after quails and exhibition stalls and forex trading and sacco plots. Thats why conmen thrive.Predict and prey on these trends and also peddle some influence one way or the other...churches mosques politicians etc i can bet you clever minds are already analyzing the next big thing ..could be 2017 MCA elections many will want to dive in there there will be trends and ofcourse money to be made. I am a hog for ideas primarily thats why i get on to this forum. And ohh there is demand for kenyanlist..someone should revive it ..it catered for other perculiar Kenyan habits